Home U.S. Coin Forum

$10 Ten Dollar Indian... "GRADE POSTED"!!!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought she was very pretty

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Broadstruck...I bet it's pretty in hand but the pics don't do it any favors. It is one of my favorite coin designs though. I'll take a swag (scientific wild ____ guess) and say 62.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful. From these pics, I can't really see any wear, so i'll guess MS something.

And I don't see much in the way of hits, just some spots. It looks better in my opinion than most 62s. I'd guess 63. 62 is taken anyway.

I do enjoy the guess the grade threads...thanks!

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    after much chiding from broadstruck i'll attempt it

PR63

what do i win?

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    savoyspecial, It's genuine and not a "chocolate foil" coin as per your PM! image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    ok, but i'm sticking with Matte Proof even though none were officially minted <-----minor detail
    (i've seen some of the pieces you've turned up in the past; i always expect the unexpected with you)

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

AU-50

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
    Larger Pics Posted

<< <i>ok, but i'm sticking with Matte Proof even though none were officially minted <-----minor detail
    (i've seen some of the pieces you've turned up in the past; i always expect the unexpected with you)

greg >>

Not a Proof! image
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64... A whole lot nicer than the one I currently own.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    53/55 (closer to 55)
    I do enjoy the guess the grade threads...thanks!

Thanks as when there's a spread of AU50 to MS64 on an example of a series then I guess they are kind of useful! image
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when ya gonna tell us the grade???

<< <i>So when ya gonna tell us the grade???

image >>

I'll let this one run through the morning as this is interesting! image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, where's the error? I don't see any clip, double strike, broadstrike or anyother type of error. Are you sure this is yours? It looks like a nice normal MS62 coin. I love it!!

<< <i>OK, where's the error? I don't see any clip, double strike, broadstrike or anyother type of error. Are you sure this is yours? It looks like a nice normal MS62 coin. I love it!! >>

Gosh... where in the rule book does it state that just since I ventured into the final frontier of numismatics with mint errors that I can't back pedal to my roots? image

P.S. - If you find a clip, double strike, broadstrike $10 Indian... I'm game as past a lamination or a strike thru I've never heard of one image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, where's the error? I don't see any clip, double strike, broadstrike or anyother type of error. Are you sure this is yours? It looks like a nice normal MS62 coin. I love it!! >>

Gosh... where in the rule book does it state that just since I ventured into the final frontier of numismatics with mint errors that I can't back pedal to my roots? imageimage

P.S. - If you find a clip, double strike, broadstrike $10 Indian... I'm game as past a lamination or a strike thru I've never heard of one image >>

Now, now, it's ok. I thought maybe we had a case of ID theft here. Speaking of mint errors, you might be interested in these posted ATS Link
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Tough call between AU58 and MS6*...I'm gonna go with MS63.
    aka Dan
    Now, now, it's ok. I thought maybe we had a case of ID theft here. Speaking of mint errors, you might be interested in these posted ATS Link

Not fair! imageimage
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I like AU55 as a grade for that one - from the pic, looks like it has some decent luster.

• ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Could be as low as 55, depending if in hand the luster breaks present on the high points look like wear.

Could be as high as 62, seeing as '07 are often softly struck. (From the pics, I would say the micro-chatter in the fields would preclude a 63.)

If I had to guess, I would say it got an MS61.

My reasoning is that no one can tell for sure the difference between wear and softness of strike on a coin like yours, yet because it is so appealing in so many regards, that the market would have no trouble accepting it at a minimum grade of 61.

Incidentally, I own an NGC 61 example of this same issue:

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the lousy pics. Looks like it could be a 58 or 63. Need to see it in hand to grade it properly.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... Looks like it could be a 58 or 63. Need to see it in hand to grade it properly. >>

If it were me selling it, I would call it MS63 details except for the transferrence of hand oils which would knock it down to an AU62.

If I were buying it... I'd expect to pay over AU58 money.
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    AU55 or 58
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62... Cheers, RickO
  • Depending on the holder PCGS-50 NGC-53.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, it's Monday, i'm at work and there's no answer. *sob*

<< <i>Well, it's Monday, i'm at work and there's no answer. *sob* >>

image Still too Early! image
  • I would guess mint state from the pic but I have a 1907 $10 Indian AU with full luster and if I take the pic right it will look mint state.

Edited to change my mind I don't think it's mint state
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin with nice luster but appears to have some rubbing on the obverse. I would guess AU 50-55.
    You guys and gals are tough on gold... I know understand why SaintGuru is so fast to wish pain onto other members. image

imageimage
  • 64. 65 without the spot.

Cameron Kiefer
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    AU-53
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    55, no sticker image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>55, no sticker image >>

Sticker awarded here, AU58.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>64. 65 without the spot.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron---We are looking for the PCGS grade rather than the ICG grade. But thanks for trying anyway. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    au58
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    MS65 with the spot....assuming that the surface sre as natural as they look.

And this crew IS too tough on gold. You have to own it and study it to understand what is a minus and what isn't. Thats a very nice coin...just some surface rub, very clean.
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking 3 or 4. That's a nice Indian.
    Have a nice day

<< <i>image >>

Still too Soon! image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Some how I like it as a 64 based on the photos.

<< <i>MS65 with the spot....assuming that the surface sre as natural as they look.

And this crew IS too tough on gold. You have to own it and study it to understand what is a minus and what isn't. Thats a very nice coin...just some surface rub, very clean. >>

Well I guess the time has come as I feel like a master bait-er who got lucky enough to wait in order to catch a few members who really know the series, saintguru and BECOKA. The pics do not do the coin justice as if someone like mgoodm3 where to photograph it, it would have orange gold with peach, apricot, and sea foam green toning. The coin does have a bit of rub on the hair which flows below the B in Liberty, on Miss Liberty's cheek behind the eye, and on the tip of the left wing on the eagle... but then these also come very weakly struck and look mushy especially within the headdress and hair of miss Liberty and the eagles left claw on the branch is almost never fully defined. The rims on this example are void of any major bumps, as are the fields from any major abrasions. There are a few stray hairlines but this series even into the superb gem region is plagued with some lines. It has eye appeal well above the grade assigned which is NGC AU58, and for those who mentioned AU50 well I'd like to buy your raw coins! image

Thanks Everyone as this was Fun!!! image

P.S. Pay-Back Happiness Is... getting Mr. Sainty Guru to call a AU58 Augustus Saint-Gaudens coin MS65 in a public thread! image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MS65 with the spot....assuming that the surface sre as natural as they look.

And this crew IS too tough on gold. You have to own it and study it to understand what is a minus and what isn't. Thats a very nice coin...just some surface rub, very clean. >>

Well I guess the time has come as I feel like a master baiter who got lucky enough to wait in order to catch a few members who really know the series, saintguru and BECOKA. The pics do not do the coin justice as if someone like mgoodm3 where to photograph it, it would have orangy gold with peach, apricot, and seafoam green toning. The coin does have a bit of rub on the hair which flows below the B in Liberty, on Miss Liberty's cheek behind the eye, and on the tip of the left wing on the eagle... but then these also come very weakly struck and look mushy especially within the headdress and hair of miss Liberty and the eagles left claw on the branch is almost never fully defined. The rims on this example are void of any major bumps, as are the fields from any major abrasions. There are a few stray hairlines but this series even into the superb gem region is plagued with some lines. It has eye apppeal well above the grade assigned which is NGC AU58, and for those who mentioned AU50 well I'd like to buy your raw coins! image

Thanks Everyone as this was Fun!!! image

P.S. Pay-Back Happiness Is... getting Mr. Sainty Guru to call a AU58 Augustus Saint-Gaudens coin MS65 in a public thread! image >>

It's funny, I was going back and forth between AU58 and 64 and finally posted 64,

Here is another AU58 that needs new images:

<< <i>

<< <i>64. 65 without the spot.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron---We are looking for the PCGS grade rather than the ICG grade. But thanks for trying anyway. image >>

kieferscoins knew through PM conversation that I also have a PQ MS64... it just wasn't the same coin used as the Guess the Grade example.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just thankful to play in the game without getting called to the carpet image
  • that is a very good looking 58

<< <i>I'm just thankful to play in the game without getting called to the carpet image >>

Are you sure you wouldn't enjoy being reprimanded just a wee bitimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file