Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$10 Ten Dollar Indian... "GRADE POSTED"!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, I guess I cannot see the wear in those photos.

58 is my favorite grade. (aside from 54)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's funny, I was going back and forth between AU58 and 64 and finally posted 64 >>

BECOKA, As you know it just takes a bit of rub to take a MS64 to AU64, the AU58 1907 $10 Indian that hubird posted a few months ago was another AU64 sweetie! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    ... and this is why I have said over and over that one cannot grade accurately from images !!!!!!!!!

Sunnywood
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Dang! Knew I should've gone with my initial assessment. image
    aka Dan
  • Options

<< <i>... and this is why I have said over and over that one cannot grade accurately from images !!!!!!!!!

Sunnywood >>

image these guess the grade posts can be educational games to some degree but there is no winner or looser.

Grading from an image is like speculating that all the women in Playboy are the same in the flesh... when they are mostly airbrushed. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>... and this is why I have said over and over that one cannot grade accurately from images !!!!!!!!!

Sunnywood >>

image these guess the grade posts can be educational games to some degree but there is no winner or looser.

Grading from an image is like speculating that all the women in Playboy are the same in the flesh... when they are mostly airbrushed. image >>

Now that's a case where the pictures may be much better.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Playboy , Gold, and airbrushed...

Get a load of this Bozo image

• Options
    Now that's a case where the pictures may be much better.

If you look on YouTube.com under Photoshop Makeovers it will blow you mind at what can be done to an image! image

Here's one that's short and non offensive Evolution of Lardo
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that's a case where the pictures may be much better.

If you look on YouTube.com under Photoshop Makeovers it will blow you mind at what can be done to an image! image

Here's one that's short and non offensive Evolution of Lardo >>

That is too cool. I will definitely have to start playing with PS more. image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!! It makes my AU55 example look more like a MS61-62...
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Sunnywood >>

AMEN. Knowing Broadstruck's recent penchant for posting AU's, I did not post a grade to spoil the fun.

John
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MS65 with the spot....assuming that the surface sre as natural as they look.

And this crew IS too tough on gold. You have to own it and study it to understand what is a minus and what isn't. Thats a very nice coin...just some surface rub, very clean. >>

Well I guess the time has come as I feel like a master bait-er who got lucky enough to wait in order to catch a few members who really know the series, saintguru and BECOKA. The pics do not do the coin justice as if someone like mgoodm3 where to photograph it, it would have orange gold with peach, apricot, and sea foam green toning. The coin does have a bit of rub on the hair which flows below the B in Liberty, on Miss Liberty's cheek behind the eye, and on the tip of the left wing on the eagle... but then these also come very weakly struck and look mushy especially within the headdress and hair of miss Liberty and the eagles left claw on the branch is almost never fully defined. The rims on this example are void of any major bumps, as are the fields from any major abrasions. There are a few stray hairlines but this series even into the superb gem region is plagued with some lines. It has eye appeal well above the grade assigned which is NGC AU58, and for those who mentioned AU50 well I'd like to buy your raw coins! image

Thanks Everyone as this was Fun!!! image

P.S. Pay-Back Happiness Is... getting Mr. Sainty Guru to call a AU58 Augustus Saint-Gaudens coin MS65 in a public thread! image >>

You should take GREAT PRIDE in posting a crappy picture that makes the coin look very nice. In fact, there are quite a few dealers who do just what you do. It's amazing how you"duped" the experts by posting a picture that shows a coin with NO HITS, scrapes or marks. I feel so humilated.image
  • Options

<< <i>

Sunnywood >>

Grading from an image is like speculating that all the guys inBlueboy are the same in the flesh... when they are mostly airbrushed. image >>

I shoulda figured it was a 58 after all. image
  • Options
    saintguru, The pics are from a Heritage auction, so they are not mine.

You took this better then expected, but just in case I did wear my Kevlar pajamas last night! image

• Options

<< <i>saintguru, The pics are from a Heritage auction, so they are not mine.

You took this better then expected, but just in case I did wear my Kevlar pajamas last night! image >>

Kevlar is useless and what makes you think it's over? image
  • Options

<< <i>Kevlar is useless and what makes you think it's over? image >>

• Options

Give saintguru a break. All he has is 65s and up, so I can see why he graded this coin so. I'd probably do the same if I were in his shoes. C'mon, be sensitive to the poor guy who only knows high sixties. It would be such a burden to have such a collection. Very tough indeed.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    This thread serves as yet another example of the flaws inherent in the Sheldon Scale with regards to the AU-58 grade.

As I said in my post in this thread, it does look to me based on the pics like the does coin has some rub, but its surfaces are so superior in many other respects (enough to lead Saint Guru to conclude a grade of 65) that I felt NGC would probably net grade it at 61.

Truth be told, I think we can all agree that your coin is nicer than 95% of the 61s out there, even if it is a technical 58.

With regard to the Sheldon scale I don't know what the solution is, but I long time ago I came to the conclusion that there are many bargains to found in the fissures of this grade range.

Here is an AU58 Pan Pac from my collection - IMHO, it has more eye appeal in hand than many 63s I've seen:

• Options
    That RED X really doesn't do the coin any justice, Artiste'. image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

jom
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That RED X really doesn't do the coin any justice, Artiste'. >>

Try hitting refresh - sometimes my server only loads the image on the second try.

• Options

<< <i>image

Give saintguru a break. All he has is 65s and up, so I can see why he graded this coin so. I'd probably do the same if I were in his shoes. C'mon, be sensitive to the poor guy who only knows high sixties. It would be such a burden to have such a collection. Very tough indeed. >>

adamlaneus, you might wanna use your back door tonight? image

imageBeware of the Legoguru!
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Fun Old $10 Indian GTG image
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the kind or 58s I like to buy. FWIW, I would have said 64 from the pic.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file