Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official 2008 Allen & Ginter Rip/Trade/Show Off/Information Thread....

Comments

• Options

<< <i>So if I've counted right, out of a total of 58 autos, 41 are Group A, 9 are Group B and 8 are Group C. Wow, that's a lot of SPed autos. That explains the high percentage of Group As that have been pulled by board members. >>

There really aren't that many that are "REALLY" sp anyway...Group A is only twice as rare as Group C ..so maybe group A 150 each and group c 300 each, or something along those lines?? Wish someone had more info, but seeing the odds, not much big deal between group a and group c...

Framed Auto Group A 1:277
    Framed Auto Group B 1:256
    Framed Auto Group C 1:135

Edit to add...i guess the ones to get would be the red ink hand #/10?
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    i ripped 1 of my 3 and got david ortiz mini # 357. came from edgar renterria /99.. at least he is a big name. these rip cards could be very addicting.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    well,ended up with 30 jersey relic cards, only 2 autos out of the whole case!!!!!3 diff planes/2 diff sharks/ 2 rip cards that i want to open really bad but im skeert to lol,dont know about the crack code card 9 or 10 diff/ ancient icons i didnt count,team oranges/1 red back mini to 25 of some football college coach/world presidents,half of this stuff isnt on the backs of the wrppers,sharks odds/plane odds/ i think im gonna do a mini set this year and maybe a reg sized set, so all the black border minis and extras of gu cards and white minis ill have to trade, plus a ton of base cards,another case should be here by sat i hope- only got 3 no number cards white minis out of them all so they will be tough-alot more different little subsets this year, i wnt to crack the code-the wolrd really needs arube in a gillie suit card in allen and ginter next year lol-that would be funny-i dont know where to begin though on it lol- you prob have to have them all to figure something out on the wording on it,sombody into cyyptology probably already won it anyways today!!!!!!!!that was fun,i want the eddie rickenbacher auto if anybody gets it, i only got monopoly $ now tht ive bought 2 cases of a & g now will have plenty to trade on i get my second case and get all this stuff sorted out
    rube out
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I should add that my autos and relics and cloths and ryan howard #400 mini are all going on the auction block unless someone here wants them. Gotta recoup some $$$. I am only doing the a&G back mini set and all the mini inserts (WL, team orange, sharks, planes, icons, etc). So everything else (black borders, box toppers etc) are available for trade.

thanks, Good luck to all who are yet to rip!
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>anyone see the Wright case topper autos? They look like advertisement but are autoed by Wright....I wonder how many of them will be
    thrown away, after all they are folded up like the box toppers they had in every box back in 2006!

Kevin >>

I just saw that 2 of the 8 are on the Bay now.

One joker has a Jermaine Dye wood 1/1 up there for the low low price of $1500/OBO
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for nothing, but if this was heritage, someone would have posted the SP list already. I'm just saying.

That being said, my 300's are sorted, and the SPs seems cut and dry because I had cards with 2 of each and cards with 4 of each. Only 2 cards in the 300's had 3 of a player, so I put a ? next to it being an SP. Here are my possible SPs through the 300's:

301, 304, 306, 307, 308, 310, 311, 313, 315, 316, 319, 321, 323, 324, 325, 327, 329, 330, 332, 334, 335?, 336?, 337, 340, 342, 345, 348, and 350.

Can another case breaker sort their 300's and corroborate these findings?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Thanks for the lead on the SP list Nick, if I have time last Ill try to confirm from my 6 boxes.

Rube..which autos did you get? no cloth?

As far as the autos, you need to remember that the odds arn't all even..there are 41 cards in group A and they pull 1:277 times...that means any one auto
    in that group pulls 1: 11,357 packs. Group B, even though the odds are roughly the same, has only 9 cards in it pulling 1:2304. Group C 1:1080. So by this
    math the group A autos are 5 times rarer than group C.

I hope that makes sense.

Keep the scans going!

Kevin
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Just got home for lunch prior to a dentist appt. Waiting on my deck was a box from UPS encased in plastic.

LR Cards case has arrived! So far I've just admired the A&G boxes themselves-much nicer than Heritage boxes. I will rip some on lunch break , then more tonight complete with scans.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Dave, you are already at home and you have a case of A&G....I think that justifies a half day of work.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I actually took off today so I could be here when the UPS man showed up. I really hope it gets here soon. This waiting is going to kill me! image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Chris, I'm with you on the wait, my UPS driver usually shows up by noon, but no doubt today will be the day he doesn't come by until 6.
  • Options
    I agree Doran but this damn dentist appt plus a board meeting at 4 PM leaves me with no good excuse today.

Ripped 1 box, nothing great:
    13 minis
    5 AG backs
    3 blacks
    2 world leaders
    1 icon , genghis khan
    22 states
    2 relics, Francouer jersey & Dunn bat
    1 crack the code
    12 300#'s directly above the minis

They are beautiful cards, I like all the different subsets and love the relics.

Will scan tonight, gotta go now
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>I agree Doran but this damn dentist appt plus a board meeting at 4 PM leaves me with no good excuse today. Ripped 1 box, nothing great: 13 minis 5 AG backs 3 blacks 2 world leaders 1 icon , genghis khan 22 states 2 relics, Francouer jersey & Dunn bat 1 crack the code 12 300#'s directly above the minis They are beautiful cards, I like all the different subsets and love the relics. Will scan tonight, gotta go now >>

Ouch - that's not what I wanted to read - That might be the first 2 relic/no auto box I've read about so far. I JUST bought a hobby case too b/c the odds have been so great on the pulls I've read about so far.

Some of you are going to be pissed because this comes too late, but... the case I got cost me $649 DELIVERED. HOW?!?

Well, ebay (through the 29th) has a coupon code on the front page that gives you 10% off ONE purchase, up to $100 AND there is a 25% kickback if you search out your case through live.com! So I've got a $250 rebate pending (it takes 60 days to eliminate a return time period or something like that).

If you still have the chance, I suggest getting another case or two from the bay before these ebay and live.com kickback deals are gone!
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most here know about, and have used, the MSN cash back. I do not see any eBay coupon code.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The coupon for EBay 10% off is CJULYFUN0810P. Says it's an invite special, so check your Ebay messages.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Here's a story from Buckett regarding Marcus Henderson, the Guitar Hero guy. Interesting read. He auto'd 100 of those guitar picks, and created at least one mini subset out of them. That'll keep the prices up.

linky

Peace auto:
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ouch - that's not what I wanted to read - That might be the first 2 relic/no auto box I've read about so far. >>

In case you missed it, I got a "crappy" box too:

(1) box:

(2) Group C Framed Relics (1:20): Manny Ramirez & Adam Dunn
    (2) World Leaders (1:12): Girija Prasad Koirala & Donald Tusk
    (1) Baseball Icon (1:48): Tris Speaker
    (1) World's Deadliest Sharks: WDS2
    (1) World's Greatest Victories Code (1:24): Team Orange
    (1) N43 Boxloader: Ichiro
    (2) Mini Black Border: Yuniesky Betancourt & Derek Lowe
    (18) Regular Minis
    (22) U.S. Cards

Overall feeling on this box is so-so, but I'm happy I did it. I had to get it out of my system! Enjoy!

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Ouch - that's not what I wanted to read - That might be the first 2 relic/no auto box I've read about so far. >>

You must not read everyone's posts then, I don't think anyone that ripped multiple boxes pulled ink in every single one.

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I ripped 6 boxes and only got one auto...that works, because I collector autos...you can go on beckett and see people who open 3 packs and who have
    never collected A&G before pull ink...life isn't fair sometimes. Keep ripping!

Kevin
  • Options
    Well box one of three wasn't too great:
    2 relics (Hardy and Konerko)
    1 Crack the Code (Brown v. Board of Education)
    1 World's Icons (Marduk)
    1 Pioneers of Aviation (Linen Balloon)
    2 World Leaders (Israel and Tibet)
    22 States
    2 black minis
    6 A&G back minis

Hopefully the next 2 will get better.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    I agree with Kevin on this one, I only pulled one auto out of my 6 boxes, but I also pulled 19 relics and a rip card. The UPS man just showed up with my case, I'll start the ripping in about 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Just getting ready to start the rip, just opened the case and it had the non-autographed Wright poster, pretty cool looking.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Its definitely a luck of the draw thing. There were several "dry" patches within my case, and then some hits, so if you just opened a partial case ( a few boxes) you could get in trouble. By the way, in my opinion, the team orange, sharks, airplanes, and FU**dome are VERY difficult, but maybe that was just my luck. Anyhow, I'd count those as good hits.

Anyone need black borders or relics?
    Geordie, will you want my dodger guy cloth ?
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    My F*kudome has 2 hrs left on the bay if anyone is interested.

F*kudome
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    My box came today. Nothing major to report: I got exactly what Topps promises (2 "hits"). No Phook-a-dough-mays.

The highlights:
    Clay Bucholz autograph
    Johnny Damon bat
    1 Greatest Victories "Crack the Code": The American Revolution
    3 black border minis
    2 world leader minis (South Africa, Gambia)
    1 shark mini: Bull Shark

From a "woohoo" standpoint, the Bull Shark made me smile. Otherwise, my favorite part of the box was getting an Ichiro base card.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    Box 1
    12 Regular Minis
    4 A&G Minis
    3 black Minis
    1 NNO Mark Ellis
    2 World Leaders
    1 World Icon
    1 Baseball Icon
    1 Crack the code
    Ryan Howard Jersey
    Garrett Anderson Jersey
    Carl Crawford Bat

• Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Does anyone know if any of the DNA cards have been found yet?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree Doran but this damn dentist appt plus a board meeting at 4 PM leaves me with no good excuse today. Ripped 1 box, nothing great: 13 minis 5 AG backs 3 blacks 2 world leaders 1 icon , genghis khan 22 states 2 relics, Francouer jersey & Dunn bat 1 crack the code 12 300#'s directly above the minis They are beautiful cards, I like all the different subsets and love the relics. Will scan tonight, gotta go now >>

Ouch - that's not what I wanted to read - That might be the first 2 relic/no auto box I've read about so far. I JUST bought a hobby case too b/c the odds have been so great on the pulls I've read about so far.

Some of you are going to be pissed because this comes too late, but... the case I got cost me $649 DELIVERED. HOW?!?

Well, ebay (through the 29th) has a coupon code on the front page that gives you 10% off ONE purchase, up to $100 AND there is a 25% kickback if you search out your case through live.com! So I've got a $250 rebate pending (it takes 60 days to eliminate a return time period or something like that).

If you still have the chance, I suggest getting another case or two from the bay before these ebay and live.com kickback deals are gone! >>

THANK YOU for making this known to me! I just bought a case for $999, so after the 250 off thats $750. One question that has me a little nervous though...is your $250 credit showing up in your Microsoft Live Cashback account yet? It gave me confirmation that the $250 rebate would be made available to me, but I don't see it appearing anywhere yet...PLEASE Let me know! Thanks

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you still have the chance, I suggest getting another case or two from the bay before these ebay and live.com kickback deals are gone! >>

THANK YOU for making this known to me! I just bought a case for $999, so after the 250 off thats $750. One question that has me a little nervous though...is your $250 credit showing up in your Microsoft Live Cashback account yet? It gave me confirmation that the $250 rebate would be made available to me, but I don't see it appearing anywhere yet...PLEASE Let me know! Thanks >>

You have to login using the link ebay sends you and then it takes a day or two to show up.
  • Options

<< <i>

You have to login using the link ebay sends you and then it takes a day or two to show up. >>

I just got the confirmation email and I am feeling a little better. Thanks again, Wem, for making me aware of this deal.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    2 of my 5 preordered hobby boxes arrived today...

Plus -
    12 regular minis (including Mantle)
    5 A&G backs
    3 Blackborders
    2 World Leaders (Poland & Nepal)
    1 Aviation (Ornithopter)
    1 Greatest Victories (Brown v. BOE)
    1 Icon (King Arthur)
    No Hitters Box Topper

Beatiful cards...glad to get this first rip out of my system. I should have a couple of more boxes over the next 3 or 4 days. Then a blaster case when retail is let loose.

On to box two!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Box 2
    13 Regular Minis
    5 A&G Minis
    3 black Minis
    2 World Leaders
    1 Pioneers of Aviation
    1 Crack the code
    Vladimir Guerrero Bat
    Bobby Abreu Bat
    Andre Ethier Auto
    Ryan Braun Yellow Printing Plate
  • Options
    Heritage - Braun Plate is a great hit!

Bull - Amazing Rip card on the Johnson /28!! Awesome.

kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Nice rip card Ross! Are you going to rip it?

Chris

PS I'll get your boxes out to you tomorrow.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage - Braun Plate is a great hit!

Bull - Amazing Rip card on the Johnson /28!! Awesome. >>

Thank you sir. Not a bad first box for the season. Hopefully #2 will be a blazer. My girlfriend is napping, wants me to wait to open it until she wakes, so it'll be a few minutes before I get to the next box.
  • Options
    You rock Chris. No, I'm not going to rip it. It's going on the 'bay...try to recoup some losses.
  • Options

<< <i>My girlfriend is napping, wants me to wait to open it until she wakes, so it'll be a few minutes before I get to the next box. >>

there's an easy solution to that!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My girlfriend is napping, wants me to wait to open it until she wakes, so it'll be a few minutes before I get to the next box. >>

there's an easy solution to that! >>

Open it and run to the card shop to buy a replacement?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

there's an easy solution to that! >>

Open it and run to the card shop to buy a replacement? >>

i was thinking of something a little more devious. but that's a good idea too.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, love the ripping, I'll post scan tonight after the case is done.
    Bull - I think you have the right idea, rip and run out and buy another while she is sleeping.

Box 3
    12 Regular Minis
    7 A&G Minis
    2 black Minis
    2 World Leaders
    1 Shark Great White
    1 Crack the code
    Jason Varitek Bat
    Richie Sexson Jersey
    Felix Hernandez Rip Card #76/99
  • Options
    Box 2:
    Plus -
    21 States
    13 regular minis
    5 A&G Backed minis
    3 Blackborders
    2 World Leaders (Iceland & Philippines)
    1 Victories (Man Walks on Moon)

Break Down:
    2 autos (group B & C), 3 GU (group C), a low # rip, and some nice minis...Not a bad 2 boxes...can't wait for the next rip!

No Sharks unfortunately. Like snakes, sharks are some of my favorite creatures...can't wait to get my hands on a few of those.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    broke down got 1 more box today. pulled these 2 cards. anyone no what a tag jersey like this usually would go for on the bay? good box i guess no ink 3 black mini and another bat card of jeff francouer

• Options
    Geordie I have you covered on the Ethier Auto

Box 4
    10 Regular Minis
    5 A&G Minis
    3 black Minis
    2 World Leaders
    1 World Icon
    1 Baseball Icon
    1 Crack the code
    Willy Mo Pena Bat
    Vladimir Guerrero Bat
    Austin Kearns Bat
    Andre Ethier Auto
    Geoff Jenkins Auto

Pretty hot box, but 3 Ethier autos out of 10 boxes is crazy and 2 of them out of the same case.
  • Options
    Out of 2 boxes I pulled 42 of 50 states with no doubles...centering was hit or miss...and they're basically 1 per pack, but still pretty good.
  • Options
    Chris, where are your other 2 boxes?
  • Options
    OK, I am tired of Ethier autos, 5 boxes out of the case and 3 Ethier autos.

Box 5
    12 Regular Minis
    5 A&G Minis
    3 black Minis
    2 World Leaders
    1 Team Orange
    1 Baseball Icon
    1 Crack the code
    Adam Dunn Jersey
    Andre Ethier Auto
  • Options
    I like Ethier...he's on my fantasy team...he's been hot and cold all season though.
  • Options
    I guess the time to sell this stuff is right now huh? I need to create some BINs.
  • Options
    Box 2, about the same as the 1st:
    11 minis
    6 AG backs
    3 black backs
    2 world leaders
    1 baseball icon, Jimmie Foxx
    1 world icon, Quetzalcoatl
    22 states
    1 WGV, Deep Blue