Home Sports Talk
Options

O's quest for 60-65 or maybe 70-75 wins or more!!!!!

calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
Living in the People's Republic Of Maryland, and living in Baltimore, I know this is going to be a VERY long season. Maybe the new ballgirls will be a real show. I think the only chance of the O's having a winning season , is to schedule as many games against their farm teams as the league will permit. Maybe they can go on the softball circuit.

With all these new tax hikes , and draconian revenue inhancers in the last year or so, maybe its time to move to another state. I hear that there are real major league baseball teams there. How I miss having a good team around.
" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

Comments

• Options

<< <i>draconian revenue inhancers >>

+1

O's are gonna suck for a long time. But when they finally do start winning, it will make it that much sweeter. That's why it was so sweet for us Sox fans in 2004.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's see, about 18 games each against Toronto, Tampa, Boston, and NY...Maybe out of those 72 or so games, the Orioles win 25?
  • Options
    The just released Jay Gibbons and were willing to eat almost 12 million over the next 2 years to make room for a youngster so ....ah who am I kidding. It will be a race for last place with Tampa. image
  • Options
    Have to go with youngsters, no quality free agents will come to town, at least we are not still driving up price for someone else.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least they still have Bedard -- ooops no they don't!! image

That team needs a new owner before it will start winning again. Things started going downhill after that kid at Yankee stadium turned an out into a home run with his ball cap.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Adam Jones and Markakis will keep me watching..................for a month anyway.
  • Options
    I'm there with you. I have been a long time O's fan. For the past few years I have been cursing at the TV and have been threatening to become a Nat's or Red Sox fan, but I always wind up rooting for the O's again. Maybe my loyalty will pay off some year.
    ORIOLES FOR TRADE
    My 57 set
    1957 O's team: Completed
    1978 O's team: 71.4%
    1980 O's team: 85.7%
    1974 O's team: 74.2%
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    they finally made a good baseball move cutting gibbons, of course i just posted this on the thread about the 16 girl playing baseball "i believe presently she can start at short for my orioles!!!!" some of our positions need addressing and that will come i hope.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I think the O's have solidified last place in the AL East. The Rays are not a bad team! I keep seeing reports that the Blue Jays may be the sleeper team of the AL East but I think it could be possible that the Rays could have a better season! Rays have a good offense and pitching could be better than most think with Kazmir (when he returns in a couple of weeks) and Shields leading the way! Rays are going to give a lot of teams a hard time this year. Congrats on last place Orioles!
  • Options
    B. Roberts seemed to be the only bright spot this opening day. So I guess the O's will finish the trade with the Cubs and get rid of him. Heaven knows the O's would not want any good players. Only 161 more dissappointing days to go.
    ORIOLES FOR TRADE
    My 57 set
  • Options
    "It will be a race for last place with Tampa"

Tampa is infinitely better than the O's. Heck they are nearly as good as Toronto image
  • Options
    I was watching the game briefly at a job site. We went up 2-zip in the 1st inning, thanks to a Crawford mental mistake.

It may be awhile before the O's have a lead again. I was an usher at Memorial Stadium back in 1988 when the O's went on their infamous ( 0-21) start. I can't wait until a real team plays the O's.

As stated in the 1st post---This is going to be a long season.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking with someone today about the Orioles... I made the comment that the O's may have likely had the best record in MLB over a 10 year period... but that was from 1964 to 1973

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Looked bad , but then finished good.

Go O's.------Only 59 wins to go.
  • Options
    bull pen looked good but will the starters ever give them a lead to hold???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    10,000 people in attendance! You guys really are trying to take over the Rays position as last place in everything in the AL!image
  • Options
    that was the smallest crowd in the yards history...... it will not be the smallest crowd this year

were in for a long year. but we have some very good young players. the rays are set up very nice for the next several years
    Fred

• Options
    The O's are ( 2- 1 )--and in 1st place. Reality will set in a few days.

Only 58 more wins until they get to 60.
  • Options
    57 now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice start O's.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    so far so good, but i'm sure we will see a couple double digit losing streaks this year, but i hope not.
    Fred

• Options
    I am hoping that they can continue in this fashion. We will have to see how they do against the other teams from the East. My excitment is guarded at this point. Waiting once again for the disappointment to return.
    ORIOLES FOR TRADE
    My 57 set
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Best record in the bigs (well tied anyway). I will enjoy it while I can.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I went to the 3rd game against the Rays and it's actually a fun team to watch. There's no doubt that they will hit some slumps and end up in the bottom half of the standings by the end of the year, but they definitely have a good foundation to start with. MacPhail has built winners and knows how to do it. His dad worked in the O's organization when he was a kid and grew up an O's fan, which is why he went to Angelos and said he wants to build a winner. I like what he's done so far, especially dumping Gibbons who was hopefully the last in a long line of terrible signings. In a few years we might look back on this year and think it was pretty cool watching the beginning of something special.
  • Options
    Soak it up while you can, Baltimore

• Options
    we will!!!!
    nice start
    Fred

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at this pace, the Orioles will have more than 120 wins at the end of the year

• Options
    Beating Texas today early, and looking really good doing it.

Maybe the O's really are better than people gave them credit for.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    At the start of Spring Training, Kevin Millar said "Mark my words, the Orioles will be in the World Series."

5-1 !!!!!!

I wonder when the last time we even won five out of six during any part of the season was...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    During todays game, they said we had six in a row twice last year, longest of season.
  • Options
    woo woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6-1
    GO O's!!!!!!!!!!! we may not lose 100 games this year
    Fred

• Options
    Wow, they won again last night. They have only 53 wins to go. They just might make it.

Its been very nice to watch , while this last.
  • Options
    O well.

That is different than "The O's did well"

Still 53 wins to go.
  • Options
    You guys are lucky to escape without the sweep! Our pitchers were dealing all series long and we had some timely hitting as well (Crawford's single in game 1). Thank you for- Carl Crawford's 1000th hit, Evan Longoria's first hit and Jeff Niemann's first win. image

Seriously though, I'm liking not seeing NY or Boston at the top of the standings in the paper. Too bad that will all be changing shortly...
  • Options
    Way to go O's.

Only 52 wins to go.
  • Options

<< <i>Way to go O's.

Only 52 wins to go. >>

I hate being redundant.
  • Options
    Nice game--nice win.

Only 51 wins to go. Lets not kid ourselves. It is going to be a long season.
  • Options
    A big test is coming up this weekend against the Yank-me's. Let's see if they can maintain the roll and stay above .500. GO O's.
    ORIOLES FOR TRADE
    My 57 set
  • Options
    Nice win against them Yanks. Some of them young players the O's picked up , are statring to look like they might have been a good pickup.

The crowd was over 40,000. The home town fans are statring to turn out as well. I bet there was at least 12,000 O's fans there.

Any win against them Yanks, is a good win. The O's made a lot of fans of baseball happy tonight.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work against the Yanks! image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I went to the extra innings game against the White Sox and had a blast getting drunk in the left field bleachers. I'm 2 for 2 this season and both wins were late come from behind jobs. Fun team to watch because they're all hustling. If pitching doesn't fall apart we could finish around .500 or so. 1 thru 7 in the batting order are surprisingly solid. No out and out sluggers, but all of them are solid hitters.
  • Options
    Only 49 more wins to go.

This is sweet against them Yanks.
  • Options
    i would love to see the sweep today!!!
    Fred

• Options
    2 of 3 from them Yanks. Not bad.

Well only 49 wins to go still.
  • Options
    49 wins to go.
  • Options
    Another come from behind win. Cabrera pitched well , with no walks.

Only 48 wins to go.
  • Options
    great win on the road. i wish cabrera could pitch like that 3 out of every 4 games. nick the stick with a big hit and bull pen pitches well again. a very good night!!!
    Fred

• Options
    Ugly win, but a win non-the -less.

T----47 wins to go.
  • Options
    they keep hitting at good times hopefully it keeps up!!!!
    Fred