Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey Buff guys, what does this 1926-S grade? Update - Now graded.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Update: Graded XF45.

This is from the Whitman set I've been working on:

I'm thinking F12, maybe F15. Am I close? Way off?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Not sure, but it does look problem free. Not really big into these coins yet.
  • Options
    I just looked at Langes book, and I think VF-20 is more correct.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking noticably higher ... the 26-s is notoriously poorly struck, and that one could surprise you on grade. I'll reserve my guess until after the real pro's chime in ...

also, that S looks a little funny ... that's not an embossing job is it?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The S doesn't look right to me, but looks to be VF.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Admittedly, I do not know the buff's well enough to do more than speculate, but she's gotta rate VF at a minimum. My first blush was 25.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    69, with a shot at 70
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Pursuitoliberty, I noticed and thought the same thing with the mintmark.

I also think this would grade around a VF-35. Nice to see one with a full horn!!!

• Options

<< <i>also, that S looks a little funny ... that's not an embossing job is it? >>

Now that you mention it, it does look weird. In fact, looking at it under the loupe, I think it's fake!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    HUH, well that's interesting Russ!!!
  • Options
    Is it an added MM or something else?
  • Options
    Okay, I shot a closeup of the mint mark:

I think it was added to a 1926.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf 25/30 if it is real
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    vf20, 26s is poorly struck almost always
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    as poor as the die state is i wouldnt say its that unusual.
    and may grade xf. the tops of liberty arent worn from wear
    but struck on worn dies. as is for the other mushy elements
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Given the new pics of the MM, I think it's fake.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    ya know that looks like an embossed mm and the first i've seen too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    too bad about the MM ... I was closest in agreement with Stone ... thinking along the lines of a 30 for this issue

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.. I think that is either added or tooled... not sure which... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    A pic of the edge directly under the mint mark will probably confirm whether or not it is Embossed and check the flow lines on the mint mark.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    phhh
    what matter does it make about grade if its fake
  • Options
    Crap! Now I'm going to have to dig through my records and figure out how bad I got screwed. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an excellent thread about embossed mm buffs that I found on here back last ~May when I was a 'lurker'. Lots of pics, examples, and discussion. Can't remember who the originator was. I know it was enough to scare me into checking all the edges of all my better mm buffs!
    BTW - bummer Russ - I know you are one of the good guys on here - hope it works out for you one way or another.

Greg
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Should grade VF30. Genuine
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Is that a die clash under the v and e? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's real and fits in with the strike of the rev. As for grade...VF30.
    Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    I sent Russ a PM, but will relay it here ...

I 100% believe it to be FAKE ... although I could be wrong ... however it does not look like an embossed MM at all, yet rather an etching and tooling added MM

I hope some others will chime in. Look at the close-up ... I don't believe that type of S was used on any US coins that I can think of ...

on a side note ... I hope you didin't get hosed on it Russ

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Okay, this is getting interesting. I got a PM from a helpful forum member with this link:

PCGS F15 example.

The mint mark and surrounding area on that coin looks an awful lot like my coin.

In any event, it looks like I picked it up for $35 on a bid board about 2 1/2 years ago so if it's fake, the hosing isn't too bad.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Comparison of mine with the one in the Heritage auction:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Russ, it doesn't look right at all. Take a picture of the rim of the coin below the S and let us have a look. If the rim bears notch-like marks like those you see here (the 25-S is mine), it's embossed. If you see nothing on the rim, then it may merely be an added mintmark.
    imageimage
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Oh...and check out this link:
    Embossed mint mark
  • Options
    tooled MM
  • Options
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should grade VF30. Genuine >>

Quick, sell it to Frank. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ - The mint mark is fine and the funny look is due to die erosion which is not uncommon with 26-S's. The coin is completely legit.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll echo what others have said in one fashion or another. First, check the rim for the types of markings that Guy points out.

Next building on Chris's theme, I don't think the 26-Ps are known for worn dies that your coin exhibits. If it was an added MM to a 26-P I would think the coin wouldn't exhibit the type of die wear your coin does. Likewise I don't think Liberty would be worn away as it given the deails else where on the coin - another sign of late die state. Now, I can't swear to be an expert to added MMs, thus why I flee to the TPGs for the better dates for authentication purposes. I agree the the close up gives reason for pause, with the action on either side of the MM. That said, if the rim looks okay, coupled with the worn dies know in the 26 D&Ss, perhaps your coin is okay.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the 26-Ps are known for worn dies that your coin exhibits. If it was an added MM to a 26-P I would think the coin wouldn't exhibit the type of die wear your coin does. Likewise I don't think Liberty would be worn away as it given the deails else where on the coin - another sign of late die state. >>

This is essentially the same thing noted by the forum member who PMed me the link to the Heritage auction. I should note that this particular forum member is well known for his numismatic expertise. In fact, he was one of the winners in the PCGS grading contest.

This turned out to be a very fun thread!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I am still interested in whether or not there is a die clash. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Wow! This thread has a plethora (I've always wanted to use that word) of info. And, I see thaty everybody is in complete agreement. heh heh.

I'm one of those "self-made" buff experts. IMHO, this coin is a genuine 26-S. The 26P's just weren't struck like this. Grade? F15+.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we just need cape and buffnut to chime in the we will be all set!

Very interesting thread indeed --- it appears the buff experts to date are leaning genuine.
  • Options
    Both Guy and Shamika have good points. The edge will give you much information. There could be more die errosion in front of the rear leg, as well. I grade your Buff a solid XF. That seems to be higher than others have said. The full horn makes the market grade.

I like it.

Garrow
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit, after seeing the Heritage photograph, I was likely wrong. I truly suspected tooling... but the markings are almost identical to the Heritage example. In this case, I am happy to be wrong... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    This is a beginner's question, but how can one tell if an Indian Head nickel's date has been acid-treated? Does it impart a distinctive color to the area?
  • Options

<< <i>I grade your Buff a solid XF. >>

There's a rather ginormous value jump in XF, so I'm inclined to think that since I picked it up cheap off a bid board there's no way in hell. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw the thread... I agree with the comments about the 1926 Buff and the wear pattern is not consistent with what the coin should look like if it were a fake. LIBERTY would likely be separated from the rim. While the S does look suspect, based on the Heritage picture, it seems to be a late die state and likely worth submitting as the VF price of a 1926-s is significantly higher than F15. Good luck with the submission Russ

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>This is a beginner's question, but how can one tell if an Indian Head nickel's date has been acid-treated? Does it impart a distinctive color to the area? >>

Yes, it does. It also makes the area look etched.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    sturmgrenadier,

Look at the coins in this set:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>it seems to be a late die state and likely worth submitting as the VF price of a 1926-s is significantly higher than F15. Good luck with the submission Russ >>

I actually wasn't planning to submit it, but maybe I will and just get a lower graded one for my album.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here are three different '26 s.
    My humble opinion is that the mm was carved out of the field.
    molon labe
  • Options

<< <i>Here are three different '26 s.
    My humble opinion is that the mm was carved out of the field. >>

No way has the MM been carved out of the field. This exact type of die erosion is very commonly seen on this issue. The 26-D's also show similar die erosion on/around the mint mark.

• Options

Oh, and I agree with Garrow; the coin looks XF-40. This date/mm usually looks much worse than many of the other dates in the series so TPG's usually give it a market grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file