Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Hockey HOF Rookies Thread+++++++++++++++++++++++

Comments

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I agree on Bure. He was amazing for the short time he played. I think he should be in the Hall. I was looking at his career stats last night and think he is up there with a Cam Neely and Mike Bossy for short careers and impact during their playing days.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    As for Fedorov...here are his list of accomplishments...

[U-20] World Junior Championships - 1988 All-Star Team
    NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991
    NHL First All-Star Team - 1994
    NHL All-Star Game - 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2003
    NHL All-Star Game SuperSkills Competition - "Fastest Skater" Winner (1992, 1994), "Hardest Shot" Winner (2002)
    Hart Memorial Trophy - 1994
    Lester B. Pearson Award - 1994
    Frank J. Selke Trophy - 1994, 1996
    Jackie Robinson Humanitarian Award - 2000
    Kharlamov Trophy - 2003
    1994 NHL Player of the Year by The Sporting News
    2003 Best Skater in the NHL by The Hockey News
    Calder Trophy - 1991 (finalist) (2nd)
    Frank J. Selke Trophy - 1992 (finalist) (2nd), 1993 (4th), 1995 (4th)
    Lady Byng Trophy - 1994 (finalist) (4th)
    Hart Memorial Trophy - 1996 (finalist) (5th), 2003 (9th)
    NHL 1993–94 Season - Even Strength Goals (39) (1st)
    NHL 1995 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Point Scoring Leader (24)
    NHL 1995 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Assist Leader (17)
    NHL 1996 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Assist Leader (18)
    NHL 1998 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Goal Scoring Leader (10)[17]
    3rd player only in NHL history to have four consecutive 20+ Point Stanley Cup Playoffs campaigns (1995–98)
    3rd overall in Stanley Cup Playoffs scoring in the 1990s - (134) points
    One of only 44 players in NHL history to score 5 goals in a game
    5th all-time in Red Wings team history in points, goals and assists.
    NHL All-Time Regular season short-handed goals: 8th (36)
    NHL All-Time Regular season game-winning goals: 9th (93)
    NHL All-Time Playoff points: 13th (176)
    NHL All-Time Playoff short-handed goals: 12th (5)
    NHL All-Time Playoff assists: 8th (124)
    NHL All-Time Playoff Plus-minus: 17th (+38)
    3-time NHL Stanley Cup Champion: 1997, 1998, 2002, all with the Detroit Red Wings
    1990 Goodwill Games: Gold medal
    1996 World Cup of Hockey: (Semi-finalists - 3rd (Tie))
    1998 Winter Olympics: Silver medal
    2002 Winter Olympics: Bronze medal
    2005 Primus Challenge Bowl for World'Stars
    1988 World Junior Hockey Championships: Silver medal
    1989 World Junior Hockey Championships: Gold medal
    1989 World Ice Hockey Championships: Gold medal
    1990 World Ice Hockey Championships: Gold medal
    2008 World Ice Hockey Championships: Gold medal
    2010 World Ice Hockey Championships: Silver medal

and with a career stat line of GP 1,248, Goals 483, Assists 696 and Totals 1,179 I think he is a lock too.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Regarding Federov, please don't forget his greatest accomplishment -Anna Kournikova!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    See, that's what I like about these boards. Now my opinion on Fedorov has swayed! As for Bure, I think he has the most 50 (5) and 60 (2) goal seasons of anyone eligible for the HOF but not yet in. This year is wide open after Belfour, so we should see some much-needed backlog clearage.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    see Andy

I was gonna write all that stuff Mathew wrote about Federov but my computer screen ran out of ink.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I think Belfour deserves to get in but he shouldn't be a lock. I'd make him wait a year or 3. Bure should be in -- a la Bossy and Neely.

Let Oates in already too.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    Love to see Bure and Oates get in this year, Vince. Fingers crossed.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I'm all for that. Oates is the local favorite.
    took RPI to the championship in 85

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Anyone know when the next vote is?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Jun 27th or 28th.
  • Options
    figured it out...
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    So the vote is next week...who do you think will get in?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    My guess:

Nieuwendyk, Gilmour, Oates, Bure

Belfour and Andreychuk are also strong candidates, as is Makarov. I'd love to see Mark Howe finally get in.

• Options

<< <i>Nieuwendyk, Gilmour, Oates, Bure >>

And that is the way it should look tomorrow when they announce the new members.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    For what it's worth, if I had it MY way, the new class would be Howe, Bure, Oates and Belfour. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like Nieuwendyk as a Hall-of-Famer. He only had four season with 80 or more points and never hit 100. Also only four 40-goal seasons. All of this came in his first five years in the league. After that he was nothing special. But judging by the collective shock of him not getting in last year, I think he'll make it this year. No idea why he is considered far superior to Turgeon, but that seems to be the case.
  • Options
    100% agree with Andy. J N was nothing special....just a good HK player.
    Oates is the local fav and definately goes in.
    I would be in favor of putting in a few of the old timers that Vince has promoted.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Howe (yeah!), Nieuwendyk, Belfour and Gilmour. Congrats to the Class of 2011.
  • Options
    Nice class!

That being said, when will Oates ever get in?

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Great question, Mathew. He's uber deserving. I hope Oates and Bure make it in soon. Next year will be tough with Sakic and Shanahan locks for 2 of the 4 spots.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Is Belfour the first 90s RC guy to get in?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Fetisov and Larionov also have rookies in the '90 UD set.
  • Options
    I think it's a well chosen class. While I've never been a huge Gilmour fan I have come around to seeing him as a HOFer. Great to see Howe get in -- I now think Housley and a couple of other defensemen from the 70's and 80's will get their due. Belfour was always getting in -- it was just a question of when. 1st ballot is surprising but not shocking.

Joey New is one of those players that hockey purists love. He did everything well and provided great leadership. While his offensive stats weren't Gretzky-like, he also played in the trap years. His D was solid, he was one of the best faceoff guys and won 3 Cups with 3 different teams. Compare him to Shanahan and although he wasn't flashy he had a better PPG average -- and almost everyone I speak to think Shanny is a first ballot guy.

One guy I think will get in eventually is Guy Carbonneau -- will just take a few years.

As for Bure and Oates -- next year will be tough but would be great to see them get in with Sakic and Shanahan.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options

<< <i>As for Bure and Oates -- next year will be tough but would be great to see them get in with Sakic and Shanahan. >>

I think Sundin and Roenick are also on the ballot next year too. Tough year for holdovers.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Sundin and Roenick will be first timers on next years ballot. The only other first timers with eventual HOF chances are Curtis Joseph and Claude Lemieux. The year after that will have Rob Blake and Scott Niedermeyer so a couple of forwards might slip in that year. The ballot is certainly getting crowded with good candidates.

• Options

<< <i> Yes, Sundin and Roenick will be first timers on next years ballot. The only other first timers with eventual HOF chances are Curtis Joseph and Claude Lemieux. >>

Unless he's been playing professionally overseas since leaving the NHL, I think Sergei Fedorov is also on the ballot for the first time next year. Tkachuk is eligible for the first time in 2013 with Blake and Niedermayer. In 2014 we have Chelios and Recchi.
  • Options
    I think next year we will see Shanahan, Sakic and Sundin all making it in and then it would be nice to see Fedorov, Oates or Bure as the fourth

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Fedorov has played in the KHL the last two seasons.
  • Options

<< <i>Fedorov has played in the KHL the last two seasons. >>

That being said then...next year I think

Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin and Brendan Shanahan are all 1st ballot hall of famers and the fourth should be Adam Oates. I think Roenick has to wait a year or two.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    My early prediction: Sakic, Shanahan, Oates and Bure.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the overlooked players from past eras will have to wait a while.
  • Options
    Sorting some sets and had to wonder - Why is Mark Howe's RC the 75-76 OPC WHA card? Why is it not the 74-75 OPC WHA card #1 the Howes?
  • Options
    Listed a PSA 8 Federko, PSA 8 Angela James and PSA 9 Larionov rookie on eBay if anyone is interested:

Hockey HOF RCs
  • Options
    i handed in my first PSA submission. these were all pack pulled by myself back in the 80s

and here are a couple of hockey rookie cards that i added to my collection while at The National:

• Options
    Sweet cards. Nice going on the Yzerman. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Nice cards and congrats on your first sub. Love the Yzerman...one of my favourite players and favourite cards.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Sakic, Sundin, Bure and Oates going to the Hall in 2012.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    love me some Sakic!

• Options
    Seems like this thread gets updated once a year: Chelios, Niedermeyer, Shanahan, Heaney and Fred Shero in the builder's category. All elected to the Hall today. Anybody surprised? Next year, I think Hasek, Modano and Forsberg go to the ballot.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like this thread gets updated once a year: Chelios, Niedermeyer, Shanahan, Heaney and Fred Shero in the builder's category. All elected to the Hall today. Anybody surprised? Next year, I think Hasek, Modano and Forsberg go to the ballot. >>

The consensus was that Chelios, Niedermayer and Shanahan (after getting snubbed last year) were all locks, so it's no surprise that they all got in. The only surprise is that the committee didn't elect a fourth male player given the backlog of deserving candidates. Good to know that Hasek is eligible next year. I lost track of when he was going to eligible given his years of post-NHL international play. I'd have to say that Hasek and Modano are locks in 2014. Forsberg, not so much. Great talent, but he missed too much time to injury. He will get in, but it might take a few years like it did for Bure. Makarov, Blake, Andreychuk, Tkachuk, Housley and Lindros (yuck - hope he never gets in) are all good candidates for the 3 and 4 spots next year. One interesting tidbit I learned about Andreychuk recently is the he is the number one power play scorer of all time. Add that to his 640 goals and I think he has waited long enough.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Perhaps stating the obvious but pretty late on Shero. For a coach to win back-to-back cups 6 or 7 years after team being admitted to the NHL is incredible to me. (I'm a Bruin fan.) Too much politics in all of the various HOF's. I tend to ignore them all but didn't want you to go another year without a post.... - Kevin M.
  • Options
    Kinda adding to what Andy said...Forserg just didn't do it long and good enough.
    A few very good years doesn't make a hof'er. No comparison to Bure as he wasn't close to
    the rocket's talent. Modano gets in next year. Hasek is a slam dunk.

Stil no ove for the older forgotten guys. Does HK have a veterans committee?
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    The comparison to Bure, Jay, was that Forsberg had some great years but didn't do it long enough due to injury. And I think Forsberg might follow a similar route to the HOF wherein he has to wait a few years. They were certainly completely different players. No VC for hockey, but I think there probably should be.
  • Options
    I agree Forsberg had big time talent. He has a chance fior the HOF. I just rate Bure much higher and when considering short injury ladden carears...he had the extra edge.

Makes you want to appreciate Bobby Orr even more. Had he been injury free and could have played longer...the discussion of best ever

(I still rate him #1) wouldn't even have a close 2nd.

You can almost add Lindros to that talent but injury plagued carear....but I rate him less than Bure and Forsberg.

Too bad Vince Bellier hasn't chimed in. He has tremendous HK knowledge and the one to ask about the older guys.

Yes the HK hof needs a VC.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Where do I even start with the HHOF selection process and inductees?

Burns should be in - the only coach to win the Jack Adams trophy 3 times and he did it with 3 different teams. That might explain why he isn't in the HOF - pissed too many GM's off. Ridiculous he isn't in as a coach already.

In the veteran category, how can Vachon, JC Tremblay or Claude Provost not be in? I've howled about Tremblay before but Provost played on 9 Cup-winning Hab teams - 9 Cups!!!! He was also on 11 All Star teams when that actually meant something. The voters have their heads up their a$$es. Vachon is another example of quality being overlooked in favour of accumulators. When he retired he was 5th all time in wins playing for mainly crap teams in LA - but he also won 3 Cups with Montreal, a Vezina trophy and was the MVP of the 1976 Canada Cup. Let him in already and stop talking about Cujo, Vernon, Vanbiesbrouck, Osgoode or Richter. Belfour's in for pete's sake!!

I think Forsberg should be a 1st ballot HOFer. Injuries cut his production and his career short but for a good while he was dominant and arguably the best player in the world. 2 Cups, an Art Ross trophy and Hart trophy plus the Calder, 1st Team NHL allstar 3 times, 2 Olympic Gold Medals, 2 World Championships. No brainer to me. He was a stud.

I've changed my mind on Lindros and now think he should be in. He was the most dominant player and scariest player in the world for a while. The 6th fastest player to reach 600 points, Canada's all time WJC points leader (by 6 points) and he also won a Hart trophy. Who was the scarier player to face - Neely or Lindros. No contest in my opinion.

Mogilny should also be in - over a PPG during his career at a time when clutch and grab hockey was the norm. Absolute stud.

Give me 5 years of dominance over Dave Andreychuk any day. Not to say DA was a bad player but he doesn't belong in the HOF until others get in.

I also think Paul Henderson should get in although it's mainly for his Canada Cup contribution. The guy scored the winning goals in games 6, 7 and 8. It's the defining moment for Canadian hockey and without him we lose. Put him in for that fact alone - and take Dick Duff out. Or Bernie Federko. Or Doug Gilmour. Or Ed Belfour. Or Ciccarelli. You get where I'm going.

I'd like to see Jeremy Roenick in there as well. He was annoying but for 7-8 years he was awesome.

Jay, I agree about Orr's dominance but I rate Lemieux above all others. Gretzky was the best because he had dominance and longevity but I look at Orr and Lemieux as 1b and 1c. Injuries deprived fans of their awesomeness. I rank Mike Bossy just behind them. Never seen a better pure goalscorer. Pity about his back. He never had less than a PPG in any season and his lowest goal total in any season was 38. Freak.

One crazy stat for Gretzky - he had 1 (ONE!!!) season where he didn't get at least a point per game. His last year with the Rangers. It never happened in the playoffs. That's over 20 years.

I could talk hockey all day.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guesses for 2014 HHOF induction:

Pat Burns
    Mark Recchi
    Mike Modano
    Dominik Hasek

I think at his best, Forsberg was a better player than Recchi, but it is possible that Forsberg waits until 2015 to get voted in due to longevity of Recchi's career and total NHL points even though it is the hockey hall of fame, not the NHL hall of fame.

Remember, one player not to overlook who will be an absolute sure thing for 1st year eligibility induction upon eventual retirement is Hayley Wickenheiser.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I rank Mike Bossy just behind them. Never seen a better pure goalscorer. Pity about his back. He never had less than a PPG in any season and his lowest goal total in any season was 38. Freak."

I was glad to read that. Bossy gets so overlooked. Truly is one of the greatest players ever.
  • Options
    I'm glad Vince chimed in. Only a true canadian would say Paul henderson is a HOF'er.
    Great player.
    That 72 series lifted Henderson to Canadians what Charles Lindberg was to the USA.
    Within the last year I saw a rerun and highlights of that series. What a series. One of my childhood heroes Bobby Clarke wins cheap hit of the series.

Not only was Henderson amazing but every goal was a game breaker. Hofer or not Henderson's card is priced like he is.

I agree on Bossy. He was a goal machine. Had he not been so outspoken about HK violence he would have ben looked upon
    as more than the credit he gets.

I will say I do have a couple of cards based solely on the opinion of Mr. Bellier of veterans who I was not able to see play. Hopefully if they keep ignoring the
    plder guys maybe the could have a one time looksy like baseball did with the negro leagues.

Hopefull after this last season and the great playoff games it will bring back more HK fans.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Wow! I cannot believe it has been two years since somebody posted in this thread. Fedorov, Housely, Pronger, Lidstrom the latest NHLers added to the Hall with Angela Ruggiero added as well.

• Options
    Well I for one enjoy watching hockey.

The playoffs and the cup chase are second to none for excitement. A good friend is a hawks fan so

he is in his glory.

To get this thread going how about some input........who playing now is headed to the HOF ???

Who has retired and headed to the HOF ????

Ovi and Crosby are 2 obvious ones. Stamkos is only 25 and has a fantastic career going......
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only my opinion but, Housley's induction opens the door very wide for discussions on quite a few retired players.