Home U.S. Coin Forum

Saying Goodbye to PCI

Comments

• JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    This coin used to be in a green PCI VF35 holder. image

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• << <i>Thank you but I would much rather forget about them, they cost me $1500, I bought a dime entombed by them (gold holder like yours) cracked it out and sent it to PCGS and they said it was artificially toned and later to ANACS and they said it was cleaned. So then I submitted back to PCI in their gold but cracked holder and they asked me if I was the one who cracked it out, if I wasn't they wouldn't holder it , If I was the one then they would, I answered in the affirmative where it is now entombed forever, pretty darn professional if you ask me. I hope I never hear of those ridiculous 3 letters PCI again. >>

So, you allowed a POS coin to be reholdered as a POS coin. Pretty ethical on your part.image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • i bought this for AU money and cracked it out and sent to pcgs

i then sold it for MS62 money...buy the coin, not the holder. goodbye PCI image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still owe me $800 for my signature series grades and attributions. The ones with my signature will be very rare! Only two collectors own examples.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They still owe me $800 for my signature series grades and attributions. The ones with my signature will be very rare! Only two collectors own examples. >>

JT Stanton screwed you over?

• << <i>Although it can be argued PCI got it wrong more than they got it right, they have been a fixture in the numismatic landscape for two decades now.
    Time to say goodbye. >>

This is a little like saying goodbye to F. W. Woolworth's.

Who cares?
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCI 10 digit Green holder MS63
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever owns it, I want to buy it. >>

Me too. So, who owns it? >>

You realize you quoted yourself in this post? So which one of your alts did you think you were replying to?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Cracked from an old green 10-digit PCI holder, was graded EF45:

I still can't find the photo of the "95% white" Mercury Dime I picked up in an old PCI holder with really pretty purple and green toning, that one is on eht list to reshoot if I ever figure out my camera.

For those of you who can't tell the difference, here is a side-by-side comparison of the new PCI insert vs the old. Coins in green-border holders that look like the bottom image and with a 10-digit serial number are the ones graded by the original owners. Those coins are the ones with the reputation for solid or even conservative grading.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JT Stanton screwed you over? >>

That never happens.
  • Auction rescheduled Link
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started cllecting my b & m sent a lot to PCI and hence I bought at least 30 morgans in the old 10 digit green holders. Some of them were pretty undergraded. Have sold some since but here is one.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and I loved the mintage figures on the slab, I wish others would do that.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • This one is a 10 digit holder.

John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>Maybe. I wonder how we could find out? Hmmm. Well, I'm fresh out of ideas. >>

Don't give up. I'm sure someone will tell you who owns it. Who knows, that person may be a poster to this thread! And if you don't buy it, I will.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any of them to post. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? image

I tend to think it might be a good thing for my financial health and although years ago I did own a Lincoln - Illinois in Hallmark holder, which was PCI's great grand pa.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever owns it, I want to buy it. >>

Me too. So, who owns it? >>

You realize you quoted yourself in this post? So which one of your alts did you think you were replying to?
    >>

Hey, did you notice, he's quoting himself on purpose now, probably trying to play it off like some sort of "joke". I don't think he's fooling anyone, though.

• mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

• << <i>When is their stuff being auctioned off?

image >>

I have an "INS" slabbed Morgan Dollar that is in a photo holder and it looks exactly like the PCI holder pictured above.

Anyone know the history of INS grading service?
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    What makes you say that they're going? imageOther Thread

John
    imageimageimage
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    those are nice halves airedale

does anyone remember when the rescheduled auction date is?

I thought it was in the next couple weeks

• << <i>those are nice halves airedale

does anyone remember when the rescheduled auction date is?

I thought it was in the next couple weeks >>

I believe it is February 16th.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Anyone interested in donating one of those old photo-holders?
    Anyone know if their records are available?
    Thanks,
    Robin
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.

• << <i>
    Anyone know if their records are available?
    Thanks,
    Robin >>

You can call them with the serial number and they will tell you when the coin was encased.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • PCI sold in its entirety on Saturday the 16th and will continue to do business as usual.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • Well I guess that SEGS now has a lock on the Chattanooga market. What a monopoly!!!image
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCI sold in its entirety on Saturday the 16th and will continue to do business as usual. >>

So who Bought it?
    ED
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCI sold in its entirety on Saturday the 16th and will continue to do business as usual. >>

So who Bought it? >>

I don't know but:

Registered Service Mark

1-800 number

Past & Present Customer List, Approximately 13,000 - 14,000 Names

Slabs, Gaskets and Other Property of PCI at Esslinger Manufacturing

...for anyone with half a brain for marketing I'm thinking CU could have bought it and had a sister company for coins that just don't make the grade at the big house image
    Sieze the moment. That is what conquerors do !

HE>I

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can you sell your business & continue to do business as usual? Who purchased PCI & under what name will they be "conducting" business as usual? I need to make sure to avoid them ...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How can you sell your business & continue to do business as usual? Who purchased PCI & under what name will they be "conducting" business as usual? I need to make sure to avoid them ... >>

Ask ANACS and James Taylor image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

How can you sell your business & continue to do business as usual? Who purchased PCI & under what name will they be "conducting" business as usual? I need to make sure to avoid them ... >>

Matt Allman of Ashton, PA (uscoinsupply.com) has mirrored the PCI website on his own server. (sunsetcoins.com) May or may not mean anything.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    sometimes not so conservative as others...

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Frank, for the info.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here actually use PCI or buy their coins other than as treating them as if they were raw? Does anyone here really care who bought PCI?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>Does anyone here actually use PCI or buy their coins other than as treating them as if they were raw? Does anyone here really care who bought PCI? >>

I don't care who bought them, but I like their green holders. image

imageimage

imageimage
    aka Dan
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    The only PCI holders I was interested in was their Green Labels. I still buy them sometimes.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone here actually use PCI or buy their coins other than as treating them as if they were raw? Does anyone here really care who bought PCI? >>

I don't use them, but I have bought a few green label ones. And yes I would like to know who bought them, That is why I asked!
    ED
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    My only one, a conservatively graded 1882-O VAM-9 MS62. Luster is actually very nice. Scanner makes it look dead.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The green label PCI slabs shouldn't be confused with the gold label PCI slabs. Two different owners and two different grading standards. The coins in the green label PCI slabs were fairly conservatively graded and are definitely worth considering.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

HE>I

• This is where it all goes down...

<< <i>Does anyone here actually use PCI or buy their coins other than as treating them as if they were raw? Does anyone here really care who bought PCI? >>

Our shop sent some items in about 1992. Very tough grading at the time. We have not used them since that time, but have always hunted for old holdered PCI coins at shows, as they are often priced very cheap for the quality of coins in them. We don't play crackout, and simply sold them as is for a nice profit for us and a bargain for our buyers.

The gold holdered coins are graded more liberally, but certainly nowhere near as dangerous as buying a raw coin. I know what a gold holdered MS65 common Morgan looks like, what it's worth (about $65), what I can ship it for sight unseen, as they are traded on the Bluesheet. The 16-d dimes, 09-svdb, 14-D, & 31-S cents, as well as US gold that we have seen (old and gold label) have been genuine, and the circulated stuff is graded about right. Most of the "hold your breath and hope it's real" risk factor is removed with PCI slabs, so in that case we consider them better than raw coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file