Home U.S. Coin Forum

Saying Goodbye to PCI

124»

Comments

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the Results interesting, thanks for sharing! Would love to see more :)

It's all about what the people want...

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious if the general consensus is if a grader almost consistently grades a point of two too low is a better grader than the one that almost consistently grades a point or two too liberally?

I think of a math professors who's equations are wrong.
    One answers, "2 + 2 =" with a three and the other a five.

peacockcoins

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am curious if the general consensus is if a grader almost consistently grades a point of two too low is a better grader than the one that almost consistently grades a point or two too liberally?

Checks and balances.......I would rather a grader be consistent than worry about too high or too low.

• With conisistency and if you required at least two graders and took the average of the two+ opinions we would have a stabilized coin economy.

But....thats just a fantasy world. Fatigue sets in and I'm pretty sure the big peice of the equation will never happen. hard to be consistent.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

The graders have no other choice. They must conform to what ever the service has set as the standard. They may not agree with the standard but the service has control of what they feel is best.

Larry

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any PCI graded coins. There is one member here who regrets that he left his coins in PCI holders. As it turns out, the insert is not inert and many of his coins have been ruined. Some of them might be restorable.

I think that PCI started out as "Hallmark." It was sold and became PCI. After that, it was sold many times.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Heritage once had an in-house grading service, which, I believe, was called NCI. It was well known that their standards were lower, but consistently lower. They even had a bids for NCI graded coins on the Grey Sheet at one time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file