Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS has a $50,000 reward for anyone who can solve the ASE milk spotting problem.

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Time to don your lab coats boys and girls lets get to work and figure this one out.

I don't know about you, but $50,000 would really help improve my collection. image

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to don your lab coats boys and girls lets get to work and figure this one out.

I don't know about you, but $50,000 would really help improve my collection. image >>

I predict some 'quality control MANAGER" working for the government will make fifty G's soon.
  • Options
    Got a link ?
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    what's the "problem"?

milkspotting happens. live w/ it.

K S
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    If they are willing to offer $50,000 just think what they must be losing on their "grade guarantee" on these things.image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what's the "problem"?

K S >>

What if it doesn't have to happen and can be prevented in some way? Do you like milk spots?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon a coat of clear lacquer would solve the poblem.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard, HRH said that PCGS already spent at least this much trying to fix the problem. I assume NCS has been working at it as well and would just love HRH to hand over a check for 50 large.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At last... incentive... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Unless one can be there to visualy see the operation taking place it would be difficult to track down.The slab of metal into strip from the rollers etc. The rollers being cleaned before-hand as an example.Who knowns what the metal was in contact prior to being pressed into strip.There are many processes going on before the blanking is done.......
    ..there might be a cooling solution between the rollers....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    my local dealer has figured out a way, but it kinda makes 'em look like '86 SAE's.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>At last... incentive... Cheers, RickO >>

I gotta hand it to you Rick. You hit my funnybone.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I would think an ultrasonic bath with a rinse in high purity acetone would remove whatever it is that the mint leaves on them. I've never tried it and I don't collect them. I'm also not sure that PCGS wants to do the treatment either.
  • Options
    solve to prevent or solve to remove?
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    In a previous thread, I said this :

"I still think if better care were taken in the rinsing/drying of the metal prior to "punching" the planchets, that this would not occur. It's a theory, but it's the only one I think will work. The drying of these strips need air and rotation. This is a layman's brain thinking."

I don't know how many remember Conder101, but he is as objective and technical a man as I've talked to behind the scenes. He responded with this :

The planchets are annealed, then burnished, washed and dried AFTER they are punched from the strip and edges upset. It is the rinsing and drying at this stage that is the problem, not the washing of the strip. (The annealing of the planchets caises a heavy oxide layer to form on them, that is why they have to be burnished afterwards and that burnishing basicly "removes" the existing surface so a washing problem from the strip would be removed.)

Thanks Conder101
  • Options
    As far as I know NGC and ANACS dont have the milk spotting problem, or at least not to the extent that PCGS does. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but isnt Newport Beach, CA geographically located between the Pacific Ocean and Newport Bay. The salt in the air is so thick you can smell it. When employees come in from outside it's on their clothes and in their hair so any special filtration systems or clean rooms are instantly contaminated.
  • Options
    solution? autoclave them.
  • Options
    don't buy em and you won't have milk spots.

problem solved.

where my 50k?

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    well all the top four have spot problems with ASE's, even OGP mint capsules...just look in my "bullion" tube.

something precipitates the appearance of the spotting.

start with the minting process, it's not the slabbing

• Options

<< <i>As far as I know NGC and ANACS dont have the milk spotting problem, or at least not to the extent that PCGS does. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but isnt Newport Beach, CA geographically located between the Pacific Ocean and Newport Bay. The salt in the air is so thick you can smell it. When employees come in from outside it's on their clothes and in their hair so any special filtration systems or clean rooms are instantly contaminated. >>

That is a very good point. It wouldn't be too hard for PCGS to buy 1000 ASE and run them through current grading processand location and then compare them to the same number of ASE run through same process at an alternative location say Palm Springs. That should answer the salt air question fairly quickly.

I've read way too many threads here of clean coins being submitted only to return with spots. I think the problem lies in part with PCGS and their location/process.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces BEFORE submitting solves the problem. I'd like my $50K in small bills, please.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces before ENCAPSULATING solves the problem.

Big bills, please.

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

K S >>

What if it doesn't have to happen and can be prevented in some way? Do you like milk spots? >>

i don't care about milkspots. we're talking about basically silver rounds.

the issue is people getting all worked up about "GRADE", has nothing really to do w/ milkspots.

K S
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop slabbing bullion - problem solved. image
  • Options

<< <i>A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces BEFORE submitting solves the problem. I'd like my $50K in small bills, please.

Russ, NCNE >>

I thought Russ had this conversation with Ron Guth about a year ago on these boards and Ron said he was going back to his "lab" to check on this theory. I wonder what happened.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Don't drink milk when you handle your coins??image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces BEFORE submitting solves the problem. I'd like my $50K in small bills, please.

Russ, NCNE >>

I thought Russ had this conversation with Ron Guth about a year ago on these boards and Ron said he was going back to his "lab" to check on this theory. I wonder what happened. >>

You have an excellent memory.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first step would be to take a milk spotted coin and remove a sample of the milk spot and run it through spectrum annalsys and determin the chemical makeup of the the milk spot. This should tell you what is milkspotting the coin and steer you in a direction toward solving it if it's solvable.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Modern Crap! image
  • Options
    A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces BEFORE submitting solves the problem. I'd like my $50K in small bills, please.

What is the brand name of the dip you use, Russ?

Is it just acetone or an actual silver dip?

TIA!
  • Options
    Maybe call Northwest Territory Mint and ask em how they strike their rounds?

Naaaah, too simple.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stop slabbing bullion - problem solved. image >>

The Reverse Proof ASE is not bullion...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relicsncoins is correct.... as I have stated here at least a dozen times, a spectrum analysis or atomic absorption test will reveal the chemical components of the 'milkspot'... once known, the source will become obvious. The 'cure', if possible, may also be determined from said analysis... the 'cure' being the preventive action as well as a possible corrective action. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I like to think PCGS has been working on the salt problem, I complained about it to HRH several years ago. No, this is something else.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

This is a huge problem and were totally serious about the reward.

We've already spent close to that amount on scientific analysis, and the numerous people we've worked with are baffled.

Find a solution...and we'll write the $50k check in a heartbeat.

hrh

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

K S >>

I stopped collecting this series because of this. I might start again if it were solved.
  • Options
    UV sterilization before,

or sandpaper afterwards...........

Mike C
    Mike C.
    mclark202@insightbb.com

Positive BST references: Weather11am, Mrmom, Metalsman, GAB, Mash, FishyOne, Cone10, Keepdachange, etc...
  • Options

<< <i>This is a huge problem and were totally serious about the reward.

We've already spent close to that amount on scientific analysis, and the numerous people we've worked with are baffled.

hrh >>

So what happened to the idea of just doing a quick dip in Acetone for each coin? Should not hurt the coin, although it adds a minute to the process it might be worth it.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Stop slabbing bullion - problem solved. image >>

Bingo! buy 'em, put 'em in a roll, and throw 'em in your safe as a hedge against inflation; like they were intended to do
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a huge problem and were totally serious about the reward.

hrh >>

What does the mint say about it? Why isn't it a problem with other silver coins? Offer to dip them as Russ says if the submitter doesn't want to do it themselves. For coins that have been dipped put a little symbol ala CAC on the insert to indicate that the coin has been dipped.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears that PCGS is done with buying back milked ASE's. I can't blame them.

I wonder how much "milking" has cost PCGS, bet it's staggering.

I'm sick of the problem myself, but I really like the design.

No more Eagles from the Slaughter House, until they can figure out how to rinse a coin.

You would think the resource rich R&D department at the Mint, could get the rinse right.

Seems like an elementary part of the process.

No milk yet, keeping my fingers crossed. image

Edit to op: Why not use 90% silver planchets, 10%copper.

My Morgans don't milk. Just throwing it out there.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

K S >>

What if it doesn't have to happen and can be prevented in some way? Do you like milk spots? >>

i don't care about milkspots. we're talking about basically silver rounds.

the issue is people getting all worked up about "GRADE", has nothing really to do w/ milkspots.

K S >>

I do not agree with your assessment.

Specifically, these are NOT "Silver Rounds". These are US government issued ONE DOLLAR coins that many people collect. They are no more a Silver Round than a 40% Silver Clad Half Dollar or a 90% Silver Morgan!

Further more, milk spotting is as bad for silver as a carbon spot or worse yet corrosion on copper and it most certainly does affect grade. Appearance plays a big factor in a coins grade and given the fact that the milk spotting cannot be removed without damaging the coins says alot in terms of long term storage and future collectibility.

Milk spotting is not reserved just for SAE's as early Kennedy Proofs and some silver IKE's get em too. Its just that Silver Eagles get all the attention.

<End of Rant>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Mr. Hall, I'm toying with this hypothesis: the sound waves from the sonic sealing process are interacting with the coin surface to create metastable nodes where contaminants - solid, liquid, and gaseous - get concentrated. Gases heavier than air like evaporated salt water or vaporized lubricant or and solid particles of whatever the Mint leaves on the coin will concentrate in these nodes naturally.

Sound waves can actually lift up and levitate solids and liquids in mid-air while doing this - I recall NASA actually built special equipment to demonstrate it. The node of contamination may then stick to a nearby surface and even change state - that is, precipitate from a gaseous node or microscopic drop to a solid particle. Precipitation is more likely to take place once energy is removed from the system - that is, after the sonic sealer has been turned off.

If this is the case there are a few solutions to the problem. If a cleaner environment is not possible - and it may not be if the contamination is something on the coin and the sealing process merely concentrates it into "milk drops" - I would try altering the frequency and intensity of the sonic applicator:

1) A longer application at lower intensity might avoid levitating contaminants.
    2) A shorter application at higher intensity might not give the nodes time to form.
    3) Choosing a different frequency to seal the slabs would alter where nodes form above the coin, and maybe eliminate the problem altogether.

(Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    The salt air? Salt doesn't vaporize very readily. Whenever people come to the ocean and say, "Smell that salt air!", I have to bite my tongue. Salt has no smell. The only time you get salt deposited on a surface is when salt water hits the surface and then the water evaporates. Wind borne salt spray will do this, but certainly not the air near a body of salt water. The characteristic smell of a beach or the ocean is from gases emitted by beach organisms, not from salt. One has to experiment on a non-milk-spotted ASE to see if exposure to salt induces milk spots. I don't believe that experiment has been performed yet.
    Other questions that need to be addressed:
    1. Will all ASE's eventually get milk spots?
    2. If no, which ones will?
    3. Why?

I would look with a critical eye at the minting process. BTW, I miss Conder 101 and his wisdom.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    Note this is not just on the eagles. I see it on other silver coins like the silver proof sets and even a 1964 dime.
  • Options
    OK, I've seen them on both Proof and Business strikes on Silver Eagles.

I've only seen them on proofs when it comes to 90% coinage.

Not sure what that means, but I suppose it narrows it down some.

Anybody ever see them on any other coins?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

<< <i>Note this is not just on the eagles. I see it on other silver coins like the silver proof sets and even a 1964 dime. >>

A non-proof '64 dime?

Hmm, the plot thickens.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A quick dip to stabilize the surfaces BEFORE submitting solves the problem. I'd like my $50K in small bills, please.

Russ, NCNE >>

that would obviously kill any sealed first strike submissions or special 20th anniv labeling (after the 30day window)

• Options
    Fastrudy: Correct. However, sound waves can lift and suspend sea salt particles into nodes whcih can then mix with node-concentrated water vapor. I was trying to keep the explanation as short as possible.
  • Options
    The test for sea salt should be pretty simple: an SEM-XRD scan of a milk spot for iodine.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specifically, these are NOT "Silver Rounds". These are US government issued ONE DOLLAR coins that many people collect. They are no more a Silver Round than a 40% Silver Clad Half Dollar or a 90% Silver Morgan!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file