Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One additional thing going for the fractional gold buffalo coins is the likely gradual attrition of #s due to demand for jewerly.

I could see a lot of these eventually going into rings and especially pendants.

At least until numismatic premium gets too high.............................. >>

Exactly where many Stellas ended up (the horror!).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think the mint continuing the one ounce buffaloes could help the fractionals long-term as it will draw in additional collectors that may eventually want a full set. Since both proof and UNC one ounce will continue with the UNC selling high numbers especially it may make these coins highly valued as many have already guessed.

I am amazed myself at how nice these fractional coins are, but the one ounce are nice too. I can see why the mint stayed with the one ounce but they gave us a nice gift with these smaller ones.

The same might be said of the proof platinum with the one ounce continuing. It could help the fractionals that ended.

I am still wondering how the UNC plat will work out although by shear numbers they have to do well on that micro mintage alone. It is interesting the 2007 W UNC has little premium right now which may show what the collector base is for these UNC plat coins, somewhere under those mintages as I guess some have multiple coins in collections / hoards.

<< <i>

<< <i>One additional thing going for the fractional gold buffalo coins is the likely gradual attrition of #s due to demand for jewelry.

I could see a lot of these eventually going into rings and especially pendants.

At least until numismatic premium gets too high.............................. >>

>>

I saw some on Ebay already, so they are already being destroyed.image

• << <i>I think the mint continuing the one ounce buffaloes could help the fractionals long-term as it will draw in additional collectors that may eventually want a full set. Since both proof and UNC one ounce will continue with the UNC selling high numbers especially it may make these coins highly valued as many have already guessed.

I am amazed myself at how nice these fractional coins are, but the one ounce are nice too. I can see why the mint stayed with the one ounce but they gave us a nice gift with these smaller ones.

The same might be said of the proof platinum with the one ounce continuing. It could help the fractionals that ended.

I am still wondering how the UNC plat will work out although by shear numbers they have to do well on that micro mintage alone. It is interesting the 2007 W UNC has little premium right now which may show what the collector base is for these UNC plat coins, somewhere under those mintages as I guess some have multiple coins in collections / hoards. >>

The one ounce UNC buffalo will not be back - it's being discontinued after this year. Only the one ounce proof will continue.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the mint continuing the one ounce buffaloes could help the fractionals long-term as it will draw in additional collectors that may eventually want a full set. Since both proof and UNC one ounce will continue with the UNC selling high numbers especially it may make these coins highly valued as many have already guessed.

I am still wondering how the UNC plat will work out although by shear numbers they have to do well on that micro mintage alone. It is interesting the 2007 W UNC has little premium right now which may show what the collector base is for these UNC plat coins, somewhere under those mintages as I guess some have multiple coins in collections / hoards. >>

The one ounce UNC buffalo will not be back - it's being discontinued after this year. Only the one ounce proof will continue. >>

Correct - the unc (W m/m) will not be back but the bullion (no m/m) one ounce will be continued.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• I just cringe thinking about someone making jewelry out of a MS70 or PR70 buffalo. But you know it's gonna happen.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Strange how nobody cared much for the buffs until the fractionals came out.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

that 24 K is some pretty soft metal to be wearing!

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw some on Ebay already, so they are already being destroyed. image

So far, all I see are some 1/10 ounce unc. buffalos showing up in rings and bezels. No other fractionals.

With fewer than 20,000 of them minted, and a majority of those locked up in 4-coin sets and other collections, I would guess that the 1/10 ounce uncirculated buffalos would be the best coins for speculation based on a gradually decreasing supply due to jewelry demand. The proofs might also be affected to a lesser extent, though I think they would not look as good in jewelry.

Many of the bezels/rings are selling in the $450 to $700 range, so I think that after a modest price rise for the buffalo coin, jewelry demand would taper off, as the more plentiful 1/10 ounce platinum eagles and gold eagles are available as substitutes.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

1/4 proof

1/2 UNC

Looks like all sizes too. Amazing.

Own this exciting coin and display it for all to see! This 1/4 ounce first year issue proof Buffalo coin is simply set into a polished 14K yellow gold pendant you can conveniently wear. Minted in 2008, this highly anticipated coin has a denomination of 10 dollars and a wonderful design. The obverse features an American Indian, believed to be the composite of the three different American Indian chiefs. The reverse depicts an American Buffalo, or bison, standing on a raised mound.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1/4 proof

1/2 UNC

Looks like all sizes too. Amazing.

Own this exciting coin and display it for all to see! This 1/4 ounce first year issue proof Buffalo coin is simply set into a polished 14K yellow gold pendant you can conveniently wear. Minted in 2008, this highly anticipated coin has a denomination of 10 dollars and a wonderful design. The obverse features an American Indian, believed to be the composite of the three different American Indian chiefs. The reverse depicts an American Buffalo, or bison, standing on a raised mound. >>

Are there none W's that they can use for jewelry?
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

They didn't make non-w in those sizes.

Here is a 1/10 ring.

1/10 ring

You'll love the all the chances you get to show off this remarkable men's ring. Glowing at the center is a 2008 minted first year issue Buffalo coin made of a luxurious 1/10oz of 24K gold. It has a denomination of five dollars with the obverse showing an American Indian and the reverse displaying an American bison.

• The Mint just canceled (9) of the (13) 2008 w unc. 1/2 oz Plats that I ordered on 11/21/08........(4) show in stock reserved........cancel box gone.

• << <i>Strange how nobody cared much for the buffs until the fractionals came out. >>

Not so sure about that.

I think they sold over 250K of the one ouncers when they first came out.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • That 250K of 1st year buffs is just one reason I am so optomistic on the fractionals going forward.

We tend to forget that things we discuss here in detail on a daily basis represents info that the general public doesn't have or realize for months to come.

Many everyday collectors likely still don't know the fractionals are gone ............many likely never realized they existed.

My image is still one of a buyer looking around a coin show 2-5 years from now with their eyes drawn to a showcase with fractional buffs.

I can almost hear the story being told..........

"Offered for only a few months..........1 year only.........now discontinued......low, low mintages..........beautiful design........best mint packaging ever" ...........and finally an apology for the price!
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the 1 oz plat uncs are DARK now. All options off the table, let the games begin.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Now it's just a waiting game.

Waiting for final mintage figures.

Waiting for the recession to end.

Waiting for platinum to go up.

Waiting for more collectors to get interested in these coins.

I wish my wife and credit card company were as patient as I am.

Dan

<< <i>Looks like the 1 oz plat uncs are DARK now. All options off the table, let the games begin. >>

The four coins sets, even ones sealed in the shipping box, are still not selling on ebay for even a few hundred above issue. Go figure.
    The four coins sets, even ones sealed in the shipping box, are still not selling on ebay for even a few hundred above issue. Go figure.

Yup. And even those premiums are questionable. I know I'm not the only one who's picked up a few things that, taking the $200 rebate into account, I paid less than issue price for. What will happen when the live.com rebate offer ends?
    Dan
  • Now here is one concern for all the proof and W unc. plats................

That proposed 2009 design paired with a 1 oz. only option may produce some low mintages that could perversely effect perceived rarity of the 2004-2008 platinum products.

<< <i>The four coins sets, even ones sealed in the shipping box, are still not selling on ebay for even a few hundred above issue. Go figure.

Yup. And even those premiums are questionable. I know I'm not the only one who's picked up a few things that, taking the $200 rebate into account, I paid less than issue price for. What will happen when the live.com rebate offer ends? >>

Long live live.com!!!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I really think that those people who are in the know right now are already up to their eyeballs in plats, and buffs, and credit card debt.

Anyone that can afford to hold will see prices go up, but with these beautiful coins now in my collection I will be very reluctant to let them go.

• << <i>The four coins sets, even ones sealed in the shipping box, are still not selling on ebay for even a few hundred above issue. Go figure.

Yup. And even those premiums are questionable. I know I'm not the only one who's picked up a few things that, taking the $200 rebate into account, I paid less than issue price for. What will happen when the live.com rebate offer ends? >>

the scant amount of sales that are happening now will evaporate. Without any expendable income, there is no market .... for these or anything else..

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>I really think that those people who are in the know right now are already up to their eyeballs in plats, and buffs, and credit card debt.

Anyone that can afford to hold will see prices go up, but with these beautiful coins now in my collection I will be very reluctant to let them go. >>

God help anyone carrying large credit card balances. I pay my cards in full monthly but received notice last Friday that Citi was more then doubling the interest rate on my cards to 16.99%.image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>The four coins sets, even ones sealed in the shipping box, are still not selling on ebay for even a few hundred above issue. Go figure.

nycounsel, could you please provide a link for the $200 rebate. live.com is not the link for the rebate, is it? Thanks!

• << <i>Now here is one concern for all the proof and W unc. plats................

That proposed 2009 design paired with a 1 oz. only option may produce some low mintages that could perversely effect perceived rarity of the 2004-2008 platinum products. >>

The fractional sets are closed. If the one oz proof plats next year have a astoundingly low mintage how does that cause the 2004 or just maybe the 2008 half loose its status as key date for the $50 coins?

How does the rarity of the 1933 $20 reduce the value of the 1911d $2.5 dollar gold?

• It would be a purely psychological effect.

We all view 2,500-5,000 mintages as low but that perception could change if we were to see several years in 1,500-2,500 range.

IF and I stress IF we had an ultra low mintage 1 oz. proof it could have a negative halo effect on others.

The truth is we don't really know how many hardcore 'got to have one every year' platinum collectors there are out there.

Sub 2,500 mintages for 2009/10 proofs would in my opinion have some negative effect on earlier 1 oz. issues.

It is also difficult to see a world where a 1 oz. issue would trade at or below a 1/2 oz. issue with higher mintages.

We'll see.............maybe they will sell a ton of the 1 oz. next year.
  • I think you are worried about something that is not going to happen...
    The best thing for the plats next year would be if the mint used the best proposed design and skipped the four headed coin. If the mint is truly interested in expanding sales then it seems to reason you use the most popular proposed designs that collectors want.

I would guess but am pretty sure the following design is the one to bring the most sales.

The 4 headed coin posted previuosly would bring the least, and could be a nail biter for bad sales.
    nycounsel, could you please provide a link for the $200 rebate. live.com is not the link for the rebate, is it? Thanks!

rebate instructions thread
    Dan

• << <i>Now it's just a waiting game.

Waiting for final mintage figures.

Waiting for the recession to end.

Waiting for platinum to go up.

Waiting for more collectors to get interested in these coins.

I wish my wife and credit card company were as patient as I am. >>

imageimage
    Platinum Is Best
  • My order from 11/10/08 for the 1/10 Buffs uncirculated was officially cancelled yesterday. I did not think I would get them but hope springs eternal. image
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be a purely psychological effect.

We all view 2,500-5,000 mintages as low but that perception could change if we were to see several years in 1,500-2,500 range.

IF and I stress IF we had an ultra low mintage 1 oz. proof it could have a negative halo effect on others.

The truth is we don't really know how many hardcore 'got to have one every year' platinum collectors there are out there.

Sub 2,500 mintages for 2009/10 proofs would in my opinion have some negative effect on earlier 1 oz. issues.

It is also difficult to see a world where a 1 oz. issue would trade at or below a 1/2 oz. issue with higher mintages.

We'll see.............maybe they will sell a ton of the 1 oz. next year. >>

What if only 10 people buy, then this will surely kill the platinum market, because it means there are only 10 collectors out there.

Your hypothetical cannot happen. All 1 oz.collectors will continue to buy, and with less platinum options available for the 1/0, .25, and .5 collectors the mintage will only go up. This does not take into account the "dealers" on this board that swoop inat the last moment when there is a hint of a low mintage. And I think we allagree that sub-2,500 mintages is when the swooping begins.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • This year a lot of people have seen the probability of improbable events change.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Halfstrike - I think they should go topless on those models for the '09 - sales would go crazy and they could call it a retro version, neo-classical or whatever...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Any guesses what the mintage will be for 2012? image
    4 coin unc platinum set raw in mint packaging brought $2,999 yesterday on ebay.
    Seems like a good sign to me.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Very encouraging.
    Makes you wonder who these people are....after all it wasn't too many weeks ago they were still for sale.
    I remember when the 2006 silver RP set was going for $!50 on ebay, all the while available at the mint for $100. Some people are just uninformed. Others want it NOW, and wish to steer clear of the Mint's B.S.

I think once the average collector sees that the window of oppurtunity has passed on these 2008 plats and buffs, things will be on the up and up.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• << <i>4 coin unc platinum set raw in mint packaging brought $2,999 yesterday on ebay.
    Seems like a good sign to me. >>

Any idea how much the 4 coin UNC Buff sets are bringing? It will be interesting to see how sales of these two sets compare just based on the size of the collector base. Intrinsic value is about the same in terms of precious metal. So that just leaves the comparison of mintages and collector base.
  • I agree.......

It must be very frustrating to get your mint holiday catalog only to find all the good stuff is gone by Dec. 1st.

Santa came by here yesterday with a herd of buffalo!

• I just received (4) 2008 W 1/2 oz unc. plats this morning from the Mint.............image

• << <i>

<< <i>4 coin unc platinum set raw in mint packaging brought $2,999 yesterday on ebay.
    Seems like a good sign to me. >>

Any idea how much the 4 coin UNC Buff sets are bringing? It will be interesting to see how sales of these two sets compare just based on the size of the collector base. Intrinsic value is about the same in terms of precious metal. So that just leaves the comparison of mintages and collector base. >>

I bet on both the plats and buffs but my hunch is the buffs will do better.

I am a big believer in the plat uncs., but I have to say that I received my buff unc 4 coin set yesterday and was very impressed. It is quite simply one of the most beautiful sets the mint has put together, from the presentation box to the quality of the coins themselves. Relatively low mintage, and a sure to expand collector base makes this one a winner in my eyes.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

I also think once the mintages for the plat uncs. get squared away (namely the 4 coin sets dropping significantly in the upcoming weeks), we will see an upswing in prices. A lot of orders have been cancelled already. This (to me) means they are DONE after their original supply was exhausted. Seems like this happened in 2006 as well. An outrageous cost for platinum at inital run coupled with a SHARP decline in spot price= the mint selling off its short supply at a loss. They are not in the business of losing money, even though it would appear that way sometimes by their attitude towards the consumer.
    I guess now it all comes down to supply and demand. And with gold and platinum at nearly the same spot price, the door may be opened for new collectors to enter the market. I personally would rather invest in platinum than gold, as it is 10 times as rare and has the ability to skyrocket solely as an industrial metal.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think once the mintages for the plat uncs. get squared away (namely the 4 coin sets dropping significantly in the upcoming weeks), we will see an upswing in prices. A lot of orders have been cancelled already. This (to me) means they are DONE after their original supply was exhausted. Seems like this happened in 2006 as well. An outrageous cost for platinum at inital run coupled with a SHARP decline in spot price= the mint selling off its short supply at a loss. They are not in the business of losing money, even though it would appear that way sometimes by their attitude towards the consumer.
    I guess now it all comes down to supply and demand. And with gold and platinum at nearly the same spot price, the door may be opened for new collectors to enter the market. I personally would rather invest in platinum than gold, as it is 10 times as rare and has the ability to skyrocket solely as an industrial metal. >>

I'm sure there will be a strong upswing in prices for both the Plats and the Buffs, maybe even more for the Buffs, but it is a moot point since I will never be able to part with them. I think the Proof Buffalo gold could be my favorite coin right now, they are spectacular! I cant wait til the unc Buff arrives.

I can not believe that the 1/2 Proof and the 1oz Unc are still available!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when the 2006 silver RP set was going for $!50 on ebay, all the while available at the mint for $100. Some people are just uninformed. Others want it NOW, and wish to steer clear of the Mint's B.S.

This had nothing to do with being uninformed. The Mint's price was *way* below market for an attractive three coin set that included a regular proof, a limited-issue "W" uncirculated coin, and a one-of-a-kind reverse proof with a 250K mintage. With a 10-set limit on orders from the Mint, it made sense for speculators to max out their Mint orders and then hit the aftermarket for the $150 sets available there. These sets can still be sold at a profit today.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• My quarter ounce W uncirc plat finally showed up today! It doesn't even look all beat up. Will get pics done later... I don't even remember when I ordered it, but I think it was the day they came back online.... image

Edited to add, found my order date, 10-21-08 FWIW.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    The buffalo celebration coin went backorder, it is amazing it is selling out before the UNC W coin is. It could be due to the $30 lower price between them, and may show that a low cost competitor coin is a factor in sales as it obviously seems here.

The strange thing is $30 saved today will probably be many thousands lost in thirty years or less.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    It is kind of strange that there is only 1 raw four coin set of Buffalo on sale on Ebay right now.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file