Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The story of lot 403 - Sorry this set is not for sale. Post of the year 2007

TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2020 3:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum
02/15/2020
This is an older post, but it really is timeless, it's a true story. Every few years I would revive it so the new members could see it Please, take the time to go through the entire thread, I'm sure you will like it.

Make sure to read " The Rest of the Story" in post 35

TexasT

After a while I noticed a set of BU / Proof Lincoln Cents, 1937 to 1998, the description said it was mostly completed. The picture in the auction showed a blue three ring binder full of pennies in 2x2 holders. I went ahead and bid on the auction, winning it for $81.00, plus the 15% buyers fee and shipping.

Today I got the set in the mail and started to look through it. What I found I never expected.

As I opened the folder I could see bright red pennies, starting with the 1937 Philadelphia strike, going along each and every spot was filed with the regular issue P, D &S that you would expect, as I turned to the next page I could see more bright red pennies, and the gleaming Steel Cents of 1943. I noticed a spot next to the 1955 where a coin had been, was it the 1955 Doubled Die, I will never know, someone had removed it, turning the pages more I found the same empty spot next to the 1972.

Still I thought what a set, and I began looking closer, this was no ordinary set. Someone had taken a lifetime to collect these pennies, I looked closer and found the clean crisp writing of the dates and mint marks in the earlier years, I noticed that over the years the staples had changed type, for a few years in the late forties and early fifties he used a date stamp made for collectors that had the mintmarks on them, I saw that he had carefully marked the 44's and 45's as Shell Case cents, in the 60's he started to include the Proof cents for each year.

Then in the mid 80's I noticed that the writing was not as crisp, his hand was a little more shaky, the dates written on the coins not as smooth as previous years, each year getting a little more distorted, once in a while I would notice in the early 90's a fingerprint hear and there, 1997 was missing all together, then 1998, you could barley read the writing on the holder, his hand no longer able to write clearly. And the set ends. He had included some extras on the last page, a nice BU 34, and a few others.

Over the next hour I started to realize just how much work he had put into this set, always trying to put together the best he could get. I began to wonder about this person, and how he must have treasured his set of pennies. I would imagine that he passed not to long after putting in his last cent and wondered if there was anyone that would ever appreciate his work.

Well sir, I never meet you, but as I write this the hair on the back of my neck is standing on end, my eyes are beginning to water, and I want you to know, I appreciate your set, and I will never sell it. I can only hope that when I go someone will get this set and feel the way I do about it. I will pick up where you left off, and keep each coin together in the set. Your work was not in vain.

Lot 403 - Is not for sale.

Tex
On BS&T Now: Nothing.
Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wow,

Great find and a great story.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful story.

You are the perfect caretaker for that loving-assembled set. The original owner is, I am sure, pleased to know what good hands it is in.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    That's what it's all about Tex. You tapped into the very heart of coin collecting there. Have you thought about replacing the missing 55DDO and 72?...that would be cool. And this gentelman enjoyed his collection without the assistance of slabs and stickers, go figure.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool story, thanks for sharing - it brought a tear to my eye.

I have experienced the same thing - but not to that large of an extent. I think the original owner of that set of cents is smiling - wherever he is.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    That is quite interesting indeed! It would be great if you kept the set just the way it is and include your observations on the inside front cover of the binder. Also, it would be interesting to contact the seller in order to find out about the person who put this set together and write a short biography of that person to include with the set. I sounds like he added the cents to the set as they came out each year over a span of 61 years before he either passed away or was no longer able to continue.

Thanks for the story!

Bob
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Great Story!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you bought it and not some dealer ready to rip it apart for the sake of profit only. I have some sets my father put together. Mostly circulated, but I have not been able to bring myself to sell them even though they are not very valuable, My Dad died in 1989. image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice to have some context to a collection. Gives it more meaning.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post. You're a perfect example of a true collector. The set is in good hands.
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Excellent story and now you can continue where he left off....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice story. Someone is smiling on you and this collection somewhere, seeing it will be kept together as it was lovingly and painstakingly put together over 60 years...rather than sent out to the slab factories and dispersed.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Are you a writer? Because that story was moving. image
  • Options
    Great story and congrats on the find. Even more important is your attitude of stewardship of the collection.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that was a good post! image
  • Options
    That was a nice story to read thank you for taking the time to post it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Loved the story. You should print it as a keepsake to place with the album. Nice Job!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    cvan68cvan68 Posts: 113
    Excellent post, I could only hope that my collection could wind up with someone that could appreciate my efforts. Unfortunately my kids have no real interest in collecting.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Great story, and glad you will continue the tradition. Excellent read and a great diversion from the CACA threads.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow me to add another well done!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Hey Tex, would it be possible to see pics of the set?
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I was going to read the story. After the first couple of sentences I quit, thinking it was just another long winded, loser auction story. I read two replies, and realized I must have missed something. Boy, did I. What a great story. It had the hair standing on the back of my neck also. Probably the best written post I've read, bar none. It made me remember why I started many years ago. Cudos to you.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post and well written story.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the hair on the back of my neck is standing on end, my eyes are beginning to water

dang! mine too! cool post. very.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.

Chris
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Good for you on a great auction purchase.

This is what coin collecting is or should be all about. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    I thought it was very cool on one hand, and on the other hand depressing because this treasured keepsake was dumped for 80 bucks on Proxibid by his family. Then back on the other hand it's cool again because it was bought by someone who will appreciate it.
  • Options
    JRH
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Very nice story, brother.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options

What a fascinating story........................................and an incredible history too!
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    I'm not sure what to say, for the second time today the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

I will print out the complete series of post here and put it with the collection. I am glad that Jeff was able to add to this story, and I hope he keeps the Proof's with the same feeling I have for the rest of the set.

I am very glad that his brother got to read my post.

As for the questions some have asked, I will try and post some pictures of the set this evening, as for being a writer, well that only happens when I'm inspired such as I was when I saw the set. I do plan to add both parts of this story together, I believe it would make an interesting article for Coin World or Numismatic News. If Jeff will get the Ok from Bobby's Brother I will do that.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

One more note on this, My Step Father was an Aircraft Mechanic Stationed in England in WWII, I let him read the story as I felt there was a strange connection between the two.

Tex
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Threads like this make you wish PCGS had a PCGS Message Board Thread of the Year Award. This would be it. WOW, what a thread!!!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story.

A story about a guy who collected most of his life, through ups and downs, good times and bad. His participation in and his devotion to the hobby probably would be overlooked and/or looked down upon by many other collectors and dealers as being low end and "not worthy" of their time or consideration.

However, at least as to the collection of cents purchased by Texast, the time and devotion to the hobby of this collector has produced a collection of coins that any true hobbiest can and should appreciate, ponder and dare I say, hope to emulate.

I for one hope that Texast keeps the collection of cents intact and through his own efforts in the hobby expand the collection by adding post 1998 proof and circulation strike issues and by adding pre 1999 proof and circulation strike issues that are currently missing, going all the way back to 1909. Doing so would be fun and challenging (particularly finding coins of equal or better quality to the existing coins assembled by the collector who recently passed on).
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With fine jewelry, provenance adds a great deal to the value.

A story such as this, adds so much more.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I agree. From POTD to Thread of the Year!
    Tex's post (Post of the Day certainly) is deserving of consideration for Post of the Year, and with Jeff's addition, and the amazing fact that he is also a member of the forum and added so well to the story line, makes it Thread of the Year material.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful thread. Thanks for sharing his story with us. image
    Becky
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Very "inspiring" Great post, and thanks for sharingimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great story. This is what collecting is all about. If there is a public picture of Bobby from when he served, it would be an honor to add him to the "Wall of Honor" in my office. We invite patients to bring photos of family members who have served in the armed forces (or are currently serving) to go on the wall. If they are currently serving, they will receive a care package and letter signed by my entire staff.

Your post made my day.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    As I promissed earlier here are some of the pictures of Bobby's Pennies so the rest of the board can also enjoy his collection.

I may talk with a few others, maybe we can finish the set, put the story together and donate it for display to the ANA Museum. I think that would be a nice way to remember Bobby.

I reduced the size as much as possible for the dialuppers.

Tex

• Options
    Fantastic post.

Thanks for reminding me why these boards are such a great resource.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story - that collection should be on display at a place like Long Beach or FUN, along with the story behind the coins.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story, indeed. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Nice offset to the "rip the grannies" posts image

I hope that you enjoy the collection for a very long time!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    This thread is fun. And that is what collecting is all about. Every true collector is sharing your feelings. I hope that when I pass on parts of my collection can create the intrigue that this penny book has provided to us today. Thanks for the post, and the follow-up post as well.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file