Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Dark Coins

This place is boring. I am revitalizing an old poll.

CG

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think dark original Morgans look cool. image
  • Options
    I buy some dark coins if the mirrors can be seen to be hard and clear. Th color should be dark but a color not just black or ugly brown. Blue, blue-green, magenta, copper color are okay in my collection. Generally these are cheaper now and I expect that they will stay cheaper for the near (far?) future. Dark is okay if not ugly.

Flattery, my dear, will get you everywhere
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Deep tobacco Brown devices with pastel charcoal around the outer rim on anything below an AU 50 works for me. However the closer to, and including mint state it is, I prefer a lighter tone. Thanks for asking.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I like dark toning.
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Love dark toning

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    LOVE dark coins. Once you go dark, you never go back.... or something like that.
  • Options
    yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    The 1882 Morgan in my registry set has a very unusual and IMO attractive patina. I am very pleased owning this example. I don't know how to post a picture but try this link to my photo in my set.
    http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=14741&ac=1
    yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Normally, I avoid darkly toned Busties and Classic Commemoratives.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Anyone else want to vote? So far it looks like the circulated capped bust guys have voted in droves.
    CG
  • Options
    I have not voted because none of the choices fit my thoughts very well. I do accept (sometimes prefer toned coins, even dark coins). I do not believe they should command a premium but do not just accept them because I cannot afford a more brilliant example. I do not agree with the last choice because I do not think I am giving anything up at all to obtain a nice example with dark toning.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What drtom said.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Where's the " I collect what I like, and it differs for each type" choice?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    steve is right on.

is this a silver poll?

i like dirty gold coins with tons of luster. ;-)
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭

<< <i>I like dark toning. >>

A little eyecandy for those who like "Dark Toning!" image

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually don't like dark toning but in the coin below I can't give a good reason why a coin from 1700's should not be toned darkly.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I won't shy away from dark toned coins if they have eye appeal even though dark and that the darkness doesn't hide marks etc.

I have a darker Maryland commem in PCGS 66 that is stunning. It's almost dark copper on both sides but also has significant blue, green and red highlights mixed in.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the circumstance - I like some dark coins, some are just ugly though.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    My favorite and only commem. image

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy what attracts me... be it dark or light... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smooooth......

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Interesting results, with the forum pretty evenly split between the lovers and haters of dark coins. I suspect that many of the lovers collect circulated draped and capped bust material.

As one poster (Drtom 77) pointed out there are coins out there that are deeply but colorfully toned. Those are the ones that at first glance look charcoal grey but when you tilt them into the light a panoply of color is revealed. I agree that these can be very tempting.

Sadly, the vote of a number of members indicated that they were intimidated by forum flamers from openly expressing their views here.

CG
  • Options

<< <i>I won't shy away from dark toned coins if they have eye appeal even though dark and that the darkness doesn't hide marks etc.

I have a darker Maryland commem in PCGS 66 that is stunning. It's almost dark copper on both sides but also has significant blue, green and red highlights mixed in. >>

Yeah, that's what I'm tallkin' about

• Options

<< <i>and that the darkness doesn't hide marks etc. >>

I don't understand this part. To me the one advantage of deep toning is that it does hide marks thereby improving the appearance of the coin-- as long as you have scoped the marks out before your bought.

CG
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The darker the coin, the deeper the history, not to mention deeper pockets.
  • Options
    Dark doesn't necessarily mean original.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True slumlord.
  • Options

<< <i>Dark doesn't necessarily mean original. >>

And once again that is the key to all of this. Look at the coin. If you like it buy it.

• Options
    Since I like Buffalo nickels, I've found that dark toning can be a sign of serious trouble. Now some the dark coins pictured here are very nice; however, I stay away from dark Buffs.

Garrow
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i> Interesting results, with the forum pretty evenly split between the lovers and haters of dark coins. >>

More so, yours is an interesting interpretation of the results. I read the results as the huge majority of members (84%) find dark toned coins acceptable and only a very small handful find them to be ugly and not worthy of purchase.

As for your mention of intimidation, I was one of the five votes for that option because I thought for sure it had to be a joke.
  • Options
    TTT after 6.5 years
  • Options
    I think older coins such as draped bust, bust, and seated look great with dark fields and lighter devices. Circ cameos in other words.
  • Options
    Man a lot of people have left.

I don't mind dark but am not a fan of ugly. Dark is often but not always a first step towards ugly as the dark side of the rainbow isn't full of pretty colors. That said I love lustrous net graded for darkness coins! One of my best coins
    It is really an AU50 but net grade for it's dark obv
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm generally NOT a fan. I avoid them at all cost but I can see an exception every now and then, like what happened to me at FUN.
    I Cherrypicked a Possible Top Pop Mercury Dime Variety. Exception made...

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't really answer this poll because none of the responses fit my position on this question. The really choice color for circulated old silver coins is gray. It can range from light to dark gray, but no not black. Here are a couple of examples.

This 1798 Draped Bust, Small Eagle dollar is graded VF-35.

This 1803 Bust dollar is in a Secure Plus holder and grades AU-53.

When it comes to Mint State an Proof coins, darker toning is fine with me ONLY if the mint luster shows strongly within the toning. In other words when you swirl the coin under a strong light, the cartwheel luster must show on a Mint State coin and the mirrors must be evident on a Proof. If the mint luster has been dimmed to a considerable extent or removed all to together by the toning, I would not consider paying Mint State or strong Proof money such a piece.

I have seen highly graded Proof coins, mostly Barber pieces, that had toning that go so far that the mirrors no longer showed on the surface of the coin. Despite the fact that these pieces had no hairlines, they were still "culls" IMO because they were "dead" and have no mirrors.

MS-65 Mint State coin with dark toning.

Choice Proof - 64 Seated quarter with dark toning.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks once again BillJones for your educational contribution.... My only addition to the post I made 6.5 years ago, would be that 'crusty' coins can be interesting as well..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file