Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Happened To My PCGS MS65 Steel Lincolns?!?!?!

Oh the Horror:

These Coins were totally problem free before. These coins have TURNED IN THE SLAB.

Anybody got any idea as to what happened?!?!?!?

TorinoCobra71

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    What did PCGS slab those coins in? A Petry dish?
    Looks like some kind of bacterium.......maybe someone sneezed around the empty slab. The only ones that should be allowed to crack that slab is the CDC in Atlanta!!!
  • Options
    I am not sure but I think the problems is the white stuff all over your coin IMHO image
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options
    Must be air particulates in the slabbing room= prolly from the slabber eating a Numero Uno pizza at the time fo slabbing.

it also appears that the slabing room is not following the AQMD's guideline for purification within a lab setting.

No LEED building I'm afraid...

GO GREEN PCGS!!

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    You think those coins were dipped before slabbing?
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
  • Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    Looks like particulates on the coin as the fog starts around each brown ( rusting ) spec and works out from there.
    I would say these SHOULD have been dipped before slabbing image
  • Options
    Not just Silver Eagles any more!!!Hummmmmm.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You think those coins were dipped before slabbing? >>

I have NO idea. I bought them from a local coin shop RAW about 2-3 years ago. I was down at my bank on Friday doing my semi-annual check of the coins in my lock box and came accross these.......

Is this a case for grade review/PCGS Grade Guarantee? At present, without a doubt, both of these coins would BODYBAG if submitted raw.....

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    <<<You think those coins were dipped before slabbing? >>>

It appears from the photos that the growth was transferred from the slab to the coin since the heaviest growth seems to be on the slabs themselves.
  • Options
    Whelp, there goes the chance for an MS70's in the series ;>

Seriously, that looks like mold you get on Bread!
  • Options
    Dip in WD40 or oil?
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    OUCH!!! At least they were "only" 65s and not 67s.....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Dang, it looks like someone spit on the coins as they were slabbing them. I would post a question to PCGS on that forum this week. Hate to see your bad luck.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, Marty might pay you multiples of what PCGS would pay to buy those back image

And of course, PCGS would buy those back in a heartbeat.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice biospheres.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... too bad.. sorry for the misfortune. A buyback only replaces money.. not the ownership value. I have a couple unopened rolls of these.. I better check the ends... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    That growth looks biological, but I think it is crystalline, and has nothing to do with sneezing, pizza or biological contamination. JMHOimage
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Market them on eBay as "Snowflake Lincolns" - I'm sure someone will want them.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, Marty might pay you multiples of what PCGS would pay to buy those back image

And of course, PCGS would buy those back in a heartbeat. >>

I was really thinking of adding those to my crud collection!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white powdery stuff is zinc oxide (which is the pigment used in some white paint).
    That means the zinc plating on the coins is shot.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those coins look diseased. Bleah!!
  • Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064
    How long have they been slabbed? I have a 65 I submitted about six months ago, I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argh, I've never seen a steel Lincoln do that. It had help, probably an acid dip. Zinc Sulfate would be my first guess.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Send it on a honeymoon to Greece and see if they'll quarantine it! CDC here you come
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I've seen some rolls of 43 cents where every coin has white oxide or something on almost every coin but rarely as thick or bad as those.

Seems like something on the coins or in the holder or storage enviornment helped it grow so fast on those.

It would be interesting if you had a 43 from a different source in a slab stored with them for the same time to see if it was something that the person the coins came from had done to them that speeded it up so much on those or if it was something not on the coins (just the enviornment/storage conditions).

Ed
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    that is bad luck. another reason why gold coins are superior
    long term then silver, steel, nickel, copper, etc... ;-)

sorry to hear about your misfortune. i could have used one of those
    steelies for my wheat album.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Oh my.
  • Options
    Newcomp103Newcomp103 Posts: 2,223
    David Hall paid $40,000 to buy back a 1961 Lincoln Memorial Proof 70 that developed spots in the PCGS holder....maybe you will get about .01% of that?
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Possible answers:
    a) You stored them in a fire-proof container.... humidity build up that leaked into the cases causing the corrosion.
    b) You stored them in a humid place, perhaps the closet in the bathroom?
    c) You ticked off the wrong grader and he put a little something on that submission and down graded the coins to a level they wouldnt be worth sending in for a grade review.
    d) None of the above.

-David
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735

<< <i>You think those coins were dipped before slabbing? >>

Steel cents bubble in EZ-est... or so I've heard. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Outch! At least they weren't MS68's. Sorry for your loss.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the main reason I don't collect cents. The steel ones do that and you NEVER know what copper is going to do!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YIKES !!! Steel cents too...
    Geeezzzzz.....
  • Options
    I had some steel cents do the same thing in some 2X2 flips when I was a kid. Bummer!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Outch! At least they weren't MS68's. Sorry for your loss. >>

I just got a check from PCGS for an MS68 Steel cent. image Although mine had black spots and still looks pretty good and will go into an album.
  • Options
    I have seen this before.... This is what happens when salt/sodium contacts the surface....image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

are you sure they weren't run thru the dishwasher?

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Neat!.......but in that bad and horrible sort of way. image

Tough break on the coins. Find out what PCGS will do for you.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Told you, I'll trade you a weenie coin for them!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SottySotty Posts: 373
    Looks like they are moldy.

• Options
    Hey Torinocobra71, What's the status of these 2 coins?? Did you send them back to PCGS or do you still have them? If you still have them, I sure would like to see some updated pics of these coins now to see what they are looking like now. Thanks,

Jerry
  • Options
    I would consider keeping those as conversation pieces. Wouldn't they look great in a dealer's case on the bourse?

Garrow
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is NOT good. Sorry for your loss! I've often wondered if being by the ocean in Newport is such a good
    idea. I mean with the salty air on bad weather days. Perhaps a move to the desert would eliminate some
    of those spotting problems. Vegas here we come!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Have to agree on that! Very surprised PCGS has not moved to a dryer area, but i guess they are full of money and don't mind paying out for coins that have turned sour. I lived in Newport Beach for a few years and it is humid! Probably shouldn't send steel cents in for grading during the months of Nov-Feb. (Rainy season).
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These Coins were totally problem free before. These coins have TURNED IN THE SLAB. >>

then they were'nt problem free!

here's a good guess - these coins were dipped in a light acid solution FIRST, in order to clean off discoloration. then they got slabed. the problem is that the dip made the surfaces very reactive, which made them very susceptible to the chemicals that MUST leach out of the flexible rubber gasket inside the slab

dipping steel cents in very dilute acid is a old, old trick to really give them "pizzazz", but it makes them very unstable, too.

K S
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See what living in Florida will do to ya?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These Coins were totally problem free before. These coins have TURNED IN THE SLAB. >>

then they were'nt problem free!

here's a good guess - these coins were dipped in a light acid solution FIRST, in order to clean off discoloration. then they got slabed. the problem is that the dip made the surfaces very reactive, which made them very susceptible to the chemicals that MUST leach out of the flexible rubber gasket inside the slab

dipping steel cents in very dilute acid is a old, old trick to really give them "pizzazz", but it makes them very unstable, too.

K S >>

who said we couldn't teach an old dog , new tricks ?
    I didn't know that people dipped coins for "pizzazz". I thought it was pure GREED.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

hmmm.......... maybe the slabs aren't as inert as i once thoughtimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Looks like they were dipped in meth then sent to you.................image
    Peace and Prosper.............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file