Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why no Jefferson Davis Dollar?

percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭
I wonder why the gov hasn't minted a Jefferson Davis dollar for all us of the southern persuasion. He was the first and only great president of the CSA.
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the mint making these Presidential coins is the mint of the USA, not the mint of the CSA.
  • AU58WALKERSAU58WALKERS Posts: 3,562
    this ought to be interesting
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because the mint making these Presidential coins is the mint of the USA, not the mint of the CSA. >>

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Congress and the Mint have determined that school-desegregation in the USA
    is more coin-worthy than are the sundry events/players in a war that was fought
    to fracture the USA.

Not an unreasonable determination, all things considered.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I did see that they are thinking about a set featuring prominent leaders of the confederacy. The complete set will be known as a box of crackers.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the CSA won the war, do you think they'd be making USA presidential dollars from GW to Lincoln? No, they'd start at Davis as the first president, no?

We aren't including George III prior to GW for a reason as well.

The US won the war & gets to put on its coins what it wants. So it goes for the victors.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Popcorn.. pass the popcorn .. and the milk duds.... Cheers, RickO
  • Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder why the gov hasn't minted a Jefferson Davis dollar for all us of the southern persuasion. He was the first and only great president of the CSA. >>

I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Popcorn.. pass the popcorn .. and the milk duds.... Cheers, RickO >>

I'll have some Beer & Bratwurst .. thank you.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    It would be EXTREMELY politically incorrect to do so. It would piss off every guilty white liberal in the country.

Do it!

Russ, NCNE
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US won the war & gets to put on its coins what it wants. So it goes for the victors. >>

Take a look at some of the civil war related classic commems---especially the Stone Mountain commem. These coins were issued by "the victors".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "These coins were issued by "the victors". "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Long, long ago; in a place far, far away from today's USA.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>It would be EXTREMELY politically incorrect to do so. It would piss off every guilty white liberal in the country. >>

When you put it that way, it starts to sound like a really good idea =)
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The US won the war & gets to put on its coins what it wants. So it goes for the victors. >>

Take a look at some of the civil war related classic commems---especially the Stone Mountain commem. These coins were issued by "the victors". >>

That's a worthy commemorative, to be sure. We want more though!

<< <i>Take a look at some of the civil war related classic commems---especially the Stone Mountain commem. >>

I'm not sure a Stone Mountain could be minted today. And, if they did announce plans for one there'd be liberal protesters flooding the steps of the mint, screaming in their shrill little voices about how "offensive" it is to remember the South.

Russ, NCNE
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    It would certainly make a very interesting commem... and would probably be very popular.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He lost the war.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

<< <i>He lost the war. >>

Lincoln is a war criminal as is Sherman.

<< <i>

Lincoln is a war criminal as is Sherman. >>

Davis still lost the war.

• AU58WALKERSAU58WALKERS Posts: 3,562
    I would like to see one of just Bobby Lee, but as Russ has staed not going to happen.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Take a look at some of the civil war related classic commems---especially the Stone Mountain commem. >>

I'm not sure a Stone Mountain could be minted today. And, if they did announce plans for one there'd be liberal protesters flooding the steps of the mint, screaming in their shrill little voices about how "offensive" it is to remember the South.

Russ, NCNE >>

If only they had made it with a huge CSA flag image
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Did the south really lose the war?? or are they just waiting for the right time to attackimage

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

<< <i>

<< <i>

Davis still lost the war. >>

It's not over yet.

<< <i>If only they had made it with a huge CSA flag >>

That would make an excellent reverse.

Russ, NCNE
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If only they had made it with a huge CSA flag image >>

Check the reverse of the Gettysburg commem.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>Did the south really lose the war?? or are they just waiting for the right time to attackimage

Jim >>

"Be proud your a Rebel cause the Souths gonna do it again"

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Davis still lost the war. >>

It's not over yet. >>

They don't stand up in rows, say charge, and shoot at each other anymore.

• Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lincoln is a war criminal as is Sherman. >>

<< <i>It's not over yet. >>

I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate

<< <i>

<< <i>Lincoln is a war criminal as is Sherman. >>

<< <i>It's not over yet. >>

image >>

• EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the south really lose the war?? or are they just waiting for the right time to attackimage

Jim >>

Thats why I am still hoarding confederate money.image
    ED
  • One-third of Columbia, SC, was destroyed in the fire of February 17, 1865. Over thirty-six square blocks, including all of city’s business district and much of the upper class residential area, was reduced to rubble and ashes. Only one southern death was reported, a black male. A thriving city and economy was turned into a city on welfare over night.

On July 15, 1865, General Wade Hampton wrote of Sherman and his March through South Carolina: “For these deeds history will brand him a robber and incendiary and will deservedly ‘damn him to everlasting fame.’”

However, the only official government investigation was the Commission formed by the United States and England to assess each country’s charges that the other was responsible for loss of property during the war. Regarding the burning of Columbia, in 1873 this Mixed Commission concluded that neither Federal nor Confederate officers were responsible for the intentional or unintentional fire that consumed the city.

For his part, Sherman was unapologetic. “If I had made up my mind to burn Columbia I would have burnt it with no more feeling than I would a common prairie dog village;

<< <i>On July 15, 1865, General Wade Hampton wrote of Sherman and his March through South Carolina: “For these deeds history will brand him a robber and incendiary and will deservedly ‘damn him to everlasting fame.’” >>

Sherman's actions were unspeakably inhumane. A little known (and very ironic) fact about Sherman is that he was the first president of LSU.

P.S. An interesting side-note. The most hated Union general in the South was not Sherman, it was Benjamin Butler. When federal troops occupied New Orleans, the ladies of the city snubbed them. Some even went so far as to pour chamberpots on the heads of occupying soldiers. Butler then issued a famous order, stating that any woman who showed disrespect to a Union soldier should be treated as a prostitute. Many Southerners viewed this as blanket permission for Union soldiers to rape any woman in New Orleans, although it was almost certainly not intended that way (and to my knowledge never acted upon in that way). As a result of this order, he became known as "Beast Butler." He also had a penchant for inviting himself to parties and stealing the hosts' silverware, for which he received the nickname "Spoons" Butler.

An interesting fact is that, despite both sides' normally humane treatment of enemy prisoners, Jefferson Davis ordered that if Benjamin Butler was ever captured, he be executed.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
    What do you think of this civil war dime?
    imageimage

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not just a war criminal but commited crimes against the letter and the spirit of freedom.

However, the government won, the people lost and the government teaches history according to what they want it to read.

<< <i>Not just a war criminal but commited crimes against the letter and the spirit of freedom. >>

Sic semper tyrannis.
  • Both sides (Americans all) lost over 600,000 lives. Why celebrate those who ENABLED this terrible war to happen?
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    ddink Monday June 04, 2007

<< On July 15, 1865, General Wade Hampton wrote of Sherman and his March through South Carolina: “For these deeds history will brand him a robber and incendiary and will deservedly ‘damn him to everlasting fame.’” >>

Sherman's actions were unspeakably inhumane. A little known (and very ironic) fact about Sherman is that he was the first president of LSU.

ddink seems to have forgotten another important fact – in 1891 when Sherman died, his old adversary, General
    Joseph Johnston, insisted on standing bareheaded in the rain at the funeral, as a mark of his respect. Johnston
    himself died shortly thereafter from the effects of this noble act.

Denga
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    For his part, Sherman was unapologetic. “If I had made up my mind to burn Columbia I would have burnt it with no more feeling than I would a common prairie dog village;

The rebels got what they deserved, if anything he was too lenient with them.

• << <i>ddink seems to have forgotten another important fact >>

No, I certainly have not forgotten that. It was very kind of Johnston, but after what Sherman did, he certainly did not deserve it.

<< <i>The rebels got what they deserved, if anything he was too lenient with them. >>

The so-called "rebels" were all on the front lines fighting. The ones who suffered from Sherman's war crimes were the women and children whose houses were burnt, whose crops were pillaged, and who were occasionally raped by "bummers" in Sherman's army.

<< <i>
    However, the only official government investigation was the Commission formed by the United States and England to assess each country’s charges that the other was responsible for loss of property during the war. Regarding the burning of Columbia, in 1873 this Mixed Commission concluded that neither Federal nor Confederate officers were responsible for the intentional or unintentional fire that consumed the city.

For his part, Sherman was unapologetic. “If I had made up my mind to burn Columbia I would have burnt it with no more feeling than I would a common prairie dog village; >>

England sided with the Confederacy, but didn't enter its support because Lincoln pulled the emancipation card on the Brits.

<< <i>Both sides (Americans all) lost over 600,000 lives. Why celebrate those who ENABLED this terrible war to happen? >>

So why is Lincoln's face on copper?
  • SciotoScioto Posts: 955

<< <i>I wonder why the gov hasn't minted a Jefferson Davis dollar for all us of the southern persuasion. He was the first and only great president of the CSA. >>

You (or is that Y'all?) had your chance and lost. 'Nuf said!
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>The rebels got what they deserved, if anything he was too lenient with them. >>

Spoken out of true ignorance and institutionalized brainwashing.

The South simply wanted to be left alone. It wasn't a civil was as that is when two sides fight for control of a single government.

The South simply seceded and that's why that war is properly called the "War of Northern Agression".

I'm continually amazed at the complete ignorance and misunderstanding of those times.

And no, it wasn't about slavery either, though that made a good excuse and a thinly veiled justification for the headlines at the time. Lincoln didn't free the slaves either. Another common misconception.

Study and learn.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • The victors write the history.

"It would piss off every guilty white liberal in the country"

It would also piss off a lot of non-white, non-liberal folks.

Perhaps instead they can do coins featuring burning crosses, bombed churches and the like, I'm sure you will be lining up to buy those in great quantity.

• << <i>Perhaps instead they can do coins featuring burning crosses, bombed churches and the like, I'm sure you will be lining up to buy those in great quantity >>

Jefferson Davis had nothing to do with burning crosses or bombed churches.
  • I was referring to much more recent history.

• << <i>I was referring to much more recent history >>

Which has nothing to do with the OP's question of "Why no Jefferson Davis Dollar?"

<< <i>
    The rebels got what they deserved, if anything he was too lenient with them. >>

In a few short years, you're going to wish the South had won the war!
  • "In a few short years, you're going to wish the South had won the war!"

really? so we could still have some good ol' slavery?

• To anyone who doesn't like the "Yankee" presidents on their coins. Send them to me for proper disposal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file