Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Just Back from PCGS, Guess the Grade-Grade Revealed

RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
Test your grading skills against PCGS. I've made it a little easier with grade groupings as it is very hard to grade proofs with pics.
Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am torn between 65 and 66, but I went with the lower grade.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm My crystal ball is cloudy... can not quite see the coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    So, can we assume that this really is a guess the grade thread?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Pics up, found out you you can't do it after you post the poll.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    Very nice toning PR66image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am torn between 65 and 66, but I went with the lower grade. >>

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seated dime is LOVELY.

PF66?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Reflected light images not really adequate to grade proofs. Looks nice though.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking PR64-65

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I believe it's PF 66....Very nice toning =)
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding that as a PF66 would be a win imo. What look like marks and scuffs are probably just irregular toning.

I vote PF67.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PR66
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR65

Superb.
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    PR 67
    Old coins
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    On these old Proofs, a PR67 is extremely extremely tough.....

I haven't a clue what this one graded....

I can say what a wonderful piece of history that beauty truely is.

I hope she graded high for you, but even if it didn't, that coin is a real eye catcher!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    PR63
  • Options
    I am going to sit down for dinner and watch "24" (hope Audrey is o.k.) . Grade to be revealed after.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Proofs are so tough but I'm guessing it's in a 6 holder. "Very Nice"!!! regardless.image
  • Options
    Even though I am not into this series - I had to go with the 64-65.

That is one beautiful coin in picture- I would no doubt think that this specimen is awesome in hand.

Way to go Ron.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no guess, I just love the look
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and think 65 is the minimum

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it and think 65 is the minimum >>

I like it too and agree with 65. I may not like toning, but... like most addictions, sometimes I revert and give in. This is one of them occasions.
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Very nice. It looks at least MS65 to me.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR66 all the way!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    .........i will go PR 67 ; and it sure ain't no Franklin !
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.........i will go PR 67 ; and it sure ain't no Franklin ! >>

No doubt about that ...these are only worth melt value on ebay.
  • Options

I went with thw 66 crowd. It is a real looker! Nice coin.

• Options

Hmmmmm?

Wow! The pop's show 4 in PR65 and only one in PR67. Is that right?

Looks like some Cam in there also.

• Options
    OK, "24" is over and I'm still worried about Audrey, but back to coins. The votes are in and you voted 65, leaning towards a higher grade. I grade the coin 66.

The 1862 is the toughest coin to find in gem for all of the proof seated dime series post-58. After seven years of work in putting together a complete set of proof dimes, preceded by almost two years of studying the series, I was absolutely thrilled to come across this coin at the Baltimore show last month. It is as original as any seated dime I have had the opportunity to view. Full mirror blue rim toning, ceding to lovely golden orange centers. Minimal marks and virtually no hairlines to speak of. It speaks of originality. It took me exactly three seconds to make my decision to buy this coin.

Now for the PCGS grade:

4755 1862 10C US PR91

In PCGS speak, that is AT. This coin was graded artificially toned by PCGS.

I can expect that some of you will react that here's just another case of spillled milk. That's ok by me. But for me, this is an experience with PCGS that has rattled me to the core. This coin was one of four coins in a submission, all of them beautifully toned and original coins. Three of them came back bodybagged. I am absolutely stunned.

I can go on, but right now I am going to now invoke a rule I usually follow, my own 24 hour rule, and calm down before I comment again about how I really feel about PCGS grading. If I don't, this would probably be the last time you hear from me.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, "24" is over and I'm still worried about Audrey, but back to coins. The votes are in and you voted 65, leaning towards a higher grade. I grade the coin 66.

The 1862 is the toughest coin to find in gem for all of the proof seated dime series post-58. After seven years of work in putting together a complete set of proof dimes, preceded by almost two years of studying the series, I was absolutely thrilled to come across this coin at the Baltimore show last month. It is as original as any seated dime I have had the opportunity to view. Full mirror blue rim toning, ceding to lovely golden orange centers. Minimal marks and virtually no hairlines to speak of. It speaks of originality. It took me exactly three seconds to make my decision to buy this coin.

Now for the PCGS grade:

4755 1862 10C US PR91

I can expect that some of you will react that here's just another case of spillled milk. That's ok by me. But for me, this is an experience with PCGS that has rattled me to the core. This coin was one of four coins in a submission, all of them beautifully toned and original coins. Three of them came back bodybagged. I am absolutely stunned.

I can go on, but right now I am going to now invoke a rule I usually follow, my own 24 hour rule, and calm down before I comment again about how I really feel about PCGS grading. If I don't, this would probably be the last time you hear from me. >>

Sometimes PCGS can miss the boat on toned oldies.....I've had this happen to me 3 times in the past year.......most frustrating.

Not sure what to do with the BB's.

Good luck to us!!!!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know....I'm stunned too.

I can't believe PCGS, or any other grading company would BB this beautiful coin.

Sounds like you have a great collection, and with most great collections comes with great collectors who know their coins.

Taking 24 hours to cool off is wise indeed. I don't know if I could be that patient if it happened to me.

If that coin is AT (I highly doubt it) , then there are truly some great coin doctors out there, because I personally would not hesitate to buy that coin as a top notch PQ toned NT coin.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, slab a cartoonish Silver Eagle but bag this coin? Yeah, that makes sense.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Just another example of no one can tell what's what these days. Send it back, but because of the toning I had guessed PR62 (if it holders they would be
    ultra-conservative about it).
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>
    I can go on, but right now I am going to now invoke a rule I usually follow, my own 24 hour rule, and calm down before I comment again about how I really feel about PCGS grading. If I don't, this would probably be the last time you hear from me. >>

24 hour rule is excellent.

that leaves room for at least seventeen to eighteen thousand deep breaths.

Deep breaths are good.

It's a coin.

you'll resubmit it if you care enough.

they'll grade it right smoetime.

life will go on.

z

ps. looks like a splendid, original, NT coin. but hey, i'm not a professional grader...
  • Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    i gave it a guess of 65. Hope I am right! lol
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    wait a month or so and resubmit - i see a 64 here.

if it comes back bb again, then maybe once more. beyond that you're probably throwing your money away on the cert service.

regardless, you've got a very nice looking coin!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Test your grading skills against PCGS. I've made it a little easier with grade groupings as it is very hard to grade proofs with pics.
    image >>

No way this is AT. I'd go with 66 as well. Everyone I've talked seems to be having trouble getting grades from them these days.

John D'.
  • Options
    As the perpetrator of the ongoing hot AT-NT thread, I must say, I am absolutely baffled as to how your coin could come back as questionable.

PCGS, it is NATURALLY TONED. If you were coin collectors, you would know this.

You BB that beautiful piece of numismatic history, and this piece of crap gets slabbed?:

PCGS does not understand toning, it quite apparent.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous. Another blatant example of a TPG not being consistent in grading. I graded the coin a 65...based only what little I could tell off of the pics. I will say that the toning looks very natural to me. Again, like I mentioned in other threads, when you get junior graders, teach them how to grade Morgans and Moderns, and then unleash them into the classic grading line with a stern reminder from leadership to "be strict", this is what you get.

Another thought...could it be that the current market is sustaining itself because PCGS is keeping supply of coins so low that the demand (which is diminishing) still "appears" to be high?
    Certainly just a hypothetical...but one to think about regardless.

Not implying at all that it is a grand conspiracy...only that it might be a driver in this market.

If you wish to sell the coin to me Ronya, send the coin out. I will pay 6 money in a heartbeat if the coin fits the bill. I would pay 6 money even if it were a 65 for that matter...
    I dont care if it, edited to correct, is raw.

PM function turned on.

John
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frickin' gorgeous. My first impression was, "that's at least a 64", so I went with the 64-65 bracket. However, a higher grade would not surprise me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ron, I feel for you and wonder what your next step will be? Remove the toning so pcgs can see the surfaces better? Try elsewhere? Please keep us informed and best wishes with it---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I posted a question on the forum and didn't get a definite answer before: Can a bodybagged coin be sent in for presidential review? If so, you can try that. You may not be able to do that, though, maybe someone here knows for sure. I vote NT all the way on that one. Nice coin.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you crack it out of its PCGS PF65 holder before submission? I ask this because I thought that this coin was already in a PCGS holder as PF65.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Presidential Review!!!

I wish all my coins eated coins looked like that one!

What service level did you use wehn you submitted? Regular? Maybe a trip to one of the shows would bring a different result, it should I would think?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Ron, I feel for you and wonder what your next step will be? Remove the toning so pcgs can see the surfaces better? Try elsewhere? Please keep us informed and best wishes with it---------------------BigE >>

Don't you effing dare!! That would be a travesty beyond belief...
  • Options

Tom,

Thast does look like it's in a PCGS holder.

• Options

<< <i>Hi Ron, I feel for you and wonder what your next step will be? Remove the toning so pcgs can see the surfaces better? >>

<< <i> Try elsewhere? >>

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I feel your pain. PCGS wants the regrade image I've had my share of BB's also. Most have graded on my second attempt. Very nice example and worth another shot before "going elsewhere". Just my opinion.image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, then why did you buy it? You are not a collector? I thought it took you 3 secs to decide to
    buy. Then obviously, you LIKED the coin for how it looked and what it was. So, what do you care
    what PCGS says? Your knowledge about the series is probably far greater than the 3 graders
    put together at PCGS. So, don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the collection and the coin.
    Too much emphasis is placed on the plastic in my opinion anyway. Calm down and just enjoy your
    new treasure!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file