Options

POLL: Just Back from PCGS, Guess the Grade-Grade Revealed

2»

Comments

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you crack it out of its PCGS PF65 holder before submission? >>

Yes.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, then why did you buy it? You are not a collector? I thought it took you 3 secs to decide to
    buy. Then obviously, you LIKED the coin for how it looked and what it was. So, what do you care
    what PCGS says? Your knowledge about the series is probably far greater than the 3 graders
    put together at PCGS. So, don't sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the collection and the coin.
    Too much emphasis is placed on the plastic in my opinion anyway. Calm down and just enjoy your
    new treasure!

I just love the "collector" axiom which implies we should all ignore TPG grades and trade amongst ourselves. That might work for 1% of the coinage out there that hasn't been messed with. Fact is that the 2 main TPG's determine coin values on a large % of the coins in the market. It doesn't mean that people can't grade anymore. It does mean that liquidity has been handed over to the TPG's. This in light of the fact that TPG's are about 60-70% repeatable on identical submissions (imo only of course).

Don't understand the logic that says collector should accept losses on their coins by definition. Things would be much different if we could fast forward to liquidation time to all those long term holders who suddenly decided they had to sell out. Wonder how someone feels who buys a raw PF65 gold $20 Lib at auction for all the money only to find out it was lasered. Well it's all "good" if they still like the coin. I had that happen once on a gem seated proof coin. After 5 years of ownership I found out it was AT in 1988 (and it was). You can bet that a coin you once "loved" can easily fall out of favor. No one likes reminders of getting burnt.

Try NGC with that coin......it just may come back 66* or 67*. I try not to crack slabbed silver coins any more for the same reasons. It's almost not worth the risk and aggravation. 18-20 years ago I would have done that in a heartbeat, but not anymore. Since they claim to review a coin out of the slab with no knowledge of how it came in, I just send PCGS coins back in the slab the first time...even on no brainers.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Try NGC with that coin......it just may come back 66* or 67*.

And then, cross back to PCGS.....

That would be the Bingham Technique.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    since your coin is now raw and considered AT, i offer you %25
    of what you originally paid. buy the coin not the holder :-|

i am just joking, but your situation does suck. maybe you should
    go with the presidental review.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try NGC with that coin......it just may come back 66* or 67*.

And then, cross back to PCGS.....

That would be the Bingham Technique.

........and I bet it could work!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you crack it out of its PCGS PF65 holder before submission? >>

Yes. >>

OOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........thats gotta' hurt ........................image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! I guessed MS66. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron, That's a tough break on the 1862 ... what a stunning coin ... and from the pic, definately NOT AT ... IMO

The Dollar however, well, I'm thinking I would have to question that one

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if I was going to re-evaluate anything... image
    It would start with a long look in the mirror.

.... hope it don't CRACK !
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, "24" is over and I'm still worried about Audrey, but back to coins. The votes are in and you voted 65, leaning towards a higher grade. I grade the coin 66.

The 1862 is the toughest coin to find in gem for all of the proof seated dime series post-58. After seven years of work in putting together a complete set of proof dimes, preceded by almost two years of studying the series, I was absolutely thrilled to come across this coin at the Baltimore show last month. It is as original as any seated dime I have had the opportunity to view. Full mirror blue rim toning, ceding to lovely golden orange centers. Minimal marks and virtually no hairlines to speak of. It speaks of originality. It took me exactly three seconds to make my decision to buy this coin.

Now for the PCGS grade:

4755 1862 10C US PR91

In PCGS speak, that is AT. This coin was graded artificially toned by PCGS.

I can expect that some of you will react that here's just another case of spillled milk. That's ok by me. But for me, this is an experience with PCGS that has rattled me to the core. This coin was one of four coins in a submission, all of them beautifully toned and original coins. Three of them came back bodybagged. I am absolutely stunned.

I can go on, but right now I am going to now invoke a rule I usually follow, my own 24 hour rule, and calm down before I comment again about how I really feel about PCGS grading. If I don't, this would probably be the last time you hear from me. >>

Hard to fathom... I'd like to get the president's opinion on that. Maybe it's a win if you "improve" it a little with a quick bath image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got to say the dime has me baffled... looks gorgeous to me. The dollar, however, leaves me suspicious with the specific shades of blue and purple, especially those that lead to the orange and yellow.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file