Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE: My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 2002 Topps complete!) ALBERT PUJOLS added

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 3:33PM

Here are 3 more to try make progress in getting caught up.

1990 Topps Joe Magrane AS
    1994 Topps Erik Pappas
    1994 Topps Traded Bryan Eversgerd

New total is 1,707.

Cardinals-Autographs-723

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

they are cool

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Up next is a 1979 Topps Aurelio Lopez. His nickname was Senior Smoke! Gotta love that!

Mr Lopez passed away in 1992 from a car accident. You want to hear an eerie coincidence? Aurelio Lopez, Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio Monteagudo are the only three players in MLB history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 52.

The new total is now 1,708.

Cardinals-Autographs-724

Shane

Not sure if this will get any attention at all, but this here piece of cardboard is one of the toughest of my entire collection.

To start off with, it is a 1966 Topps high number SP. To have this card triple signed is indeed a monumental task. I have had this one on my list of cards that I would probably never see or own. Diligence has paid off.

I have had this card in all 3 stages. I first bought this card signed by George Kernek in May 2020. Then, back in October 2021 I sent that card to Jimy Williams and he sent it back TTM. I was so excited to get that tough card back knowing I would probably never have one triple signed because Joe Hoerner passed away all the way back in 1996. Finally, a few weeks ago, I was able to snag this triple signed card off of Ebay. I'm very excited to have this one!

Since I had already counted Kernek and Williams, only the one signature by Joe Hoerner will add to the total. The new total is now 1,709.

Cardinals-Autographs-725

Shane

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 4:42PM

That is incredible, Shane!!! The multi signed cards are the toughest and picking one up that is from 1960's is huge.

I am sure that you are super stoked, I know I would be.

Congrats on this huge pick!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭

I have no special love for the Cardinals, but I love baseball and autographs. I could look through threads like these forever. I always especially enjoy the Dodgers crossovers too, as so many players switch teams once or more throughout their careers. no matter the team, you'll always find crossovers that represent your team as well.

If I had time to think, I'm sure I could come up with many more, but off the very top of my head just to get the ball rolling:

Joe Medwick
    Tito Landrum
    John Tudor
    Todd Worrell

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    I have no special love for the Cardinals, but I love baseball and autographs. I could look through threads like these forever. I always especially enjoy the Dodgers crossovers too, as so many players switch teams once or more throughout their careers. no matter the team, you'll always find crossovers that represent your team as well.

If I had time to think, I'm sure I could come up with many more, but off the very top of my head just to get the ball rolling:

Joe Medwick
    Tito Landrum
    John Tudor
    Todd Worrell

Don't forget Ricky Horton! Now you've got me thinking about it.

Wait a second... How about the most obvious... Albert Pujols!

Shane

My thanks to Fred @baseballfan , Donato @divecchia , and Curt @mrmopar for helping me keep this thread alive lately. If it weren't for you guys checking in I would probably be going at this alone. Even still, it is helpful to me to chronicle this. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go back to this thread to check up on something. Just yesterday I discovered a 1994 Topps Tom Urbani duplicate that I had in my album and I didn't even realize it because I didn't have the cards in numerical order. I had to spend some time pouring over this thread to find out which one came first and how and where I mistakenly got a duplicate. I figured it out after an hour of research. Anyway, my thanks to you guys, and others.

Shane

I know I said that the triple signed 1966 Topps high numbers was one a huge one for my collection. Well.....this one may top it. Here is a 1962 Topps Johnny Keane. Mr Keane passed away all the way back on January 6, 1967. That means that there was only a 5 year window to get this one signed. Mr Keane is the longest deceased player possible for Topps Cardinals. I also have a 1963, which means I still need a 1964.

But there is another interesting thing about this card. You may or may not know....anytime I get a slabbed autographed card, I always scan it and then bust it out to put it in my album. When I do that, I put it in a penny sleeve and tape the flip to the back. When I busted out this Johnny Keane and was tapping the flip to the back of the sleeve, I noticed a date written on the back - August 9 & 10th, 1963. The Cardinals were in Milwaukee playing in a series against Hank Aaron and the Milwaukee Braves. It is my strong belief that this card was signed in Milwaukee on one of those days when the Cardinals were in town.

The new total is now 1,710.

Cardinals-Autographs-726

Cardinals-Autographs-734

Shane

Shane, you're welcome. I thought about chronicling my Nolan Ryan pickups (started in 1993), but the task would have been overwhelming for me. I give you props for doing this with your Cardinal's autograph set because I realize the time and effort that it takes.

I've always though the toughest autos were the multi-signed cards and players that passed away young. Your last two additions were great scores for sure.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Up next is a 2013 Topps Update Carlos Martinez RC. I really thought he would be a dominant pitcher. He never did reach his potential like I thought he would.

Total is now 1,711.

Cardinals-Autographs-727

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 8:29PM

@frankhardy said:

@mrmopar said:

Joe Medwick
    Tito Landrum
    John Tudor
    Todd Worrell

Don't forget Ricky Horton! Now you've got me thinking about it.

Wait a second... How about the most obvious... Albert Pujols!

I was thinking about it later that night and realized I had not thought of Pujols. I think I received this the next day for my Dodger collection. I don't care for unlicensed all that much, but with this guy, I'll take what I can get. I had Pujols already, but having a Dodger card (even this lame one) was a priority before they became too expensive.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar I like it! Nice!

Shane

edited January 17, 2022 9:18AM

Up next are 2 replacements. I recently read on SCN where some TTM Adam Kennedy cards were ghost signed. That is a problem on Adam Kennedy cards because Adam Kennedy's signature is SO inconsistent and changing through the years. After researching this I determined that the previous 1998 Topps Adam Kennedy I had was a ghost signed card. I tossed it in the garbage. I then replaced it with this one that is consistent with others that I have that are authentic. I also went ahead and bought this 1999 Topps Adam Kennedy PSA/DNA for next to nothing to replace my previous 1999 even though I believe it to be authentic, but less consistent with others. Adam Kennedy signatures are kind of tough to get a handle on if you don't do your research.

Autographs can sometimes be "slippery collecting ground" so to speak. It is imperative to do your due diligence and learn as much as you can. I do research and comparisons for every autograph I put in my collection. Even if it is a common player, I do a comparison to confirmed authentic examples if possible to make sure mine is the real deal. When I can't find confirmed authentic examples, I compare to other signatures that are from reputable sellers or collectors. When I find something I don't like, I don't but it. If I find something after it is in my collection that looks questionable, I replace it. The problem with me buying the ghost signed Kennedy was that it matched others cards I had researched. This means that there are a number of ghost signed Kennedy signatures out there. The interesting thing is that the ghost signature are more consistent than his real signatures. Go figure! Even the two below are inconsistent!

These are replacements so the total does not change.

Cardinals-Autographs-728

Shane

Up next is a 2003 Topps Mike Crudale that I received TTM a few days ago. Mr Crudale returned my card in 10 days. He also included a personalized note wishing me luck on my Cardinals project! Anytime a player does something like that I store those in another miscellaneous album with duplicates, index cards, etc.

The new total is 1,712.

Cardinals-Autographs-729

Shane

You're more then welcome

I thoroughly enjoy this thread. I check it every time I am on the site. love seeing the progress and new cards. I think it is a great collection of the cardinals and the progression of cards through the years

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

Up next is a couple of cards to add to the collection. One was an important piece to the Cardinals 2011 championship. The other never made an MLB roster.

2001 Topps Blake Williams. He never made the club. This was back when prospects could make the Topps set.

2013 Topps Daniel Descalso. He was the modern Jose Oquendo for the Cardinals. He was a valuable piece coming off the bench to give them a spark.

The new total is 1,714.

Cardinals-Autographs-730

Shane

Up next is a TTM success. This 1989 and 1990 Topps Greg Mathews came back to me in 18 days. Always excited to anything TTM.

The new total is 1,716.

Cardinals-Autographs-731

Shane

I've got to move right along if I am going to ever get caught up.

Here is a 1997, 1998, and 1999 Topps Ron Gant. I received these TTM in 15 days. I already had a 1998 and 1999 so these 2 will not be added to the count. However, I will be replacing the other ones and using these for my collection since I got them TTM. The 1997 is totally new.

This 1997 card makes the new total 1,717.

Cardinals-Autographs-732

Shane

Here is a 2004 Topps Jesse Roman. This was back in the days when Topps would have rookie card of players that had not made the majors yet. Jesse Roman never made it to the Big Show.

The new total is 1,718.

Cardinals-Autographs-733

Shane

Here is another TTM. This 1991 Topps Tim Jones came back to me after 19 days.

The new total is 1,719.

Cardinals-Autographs-735

Shane

Up next is a couple of cards from my new source that is liquidating his collection. I have a bunch of these to post.

Here is a 1979 Topps and 1983 Topps Keith Hernandez.

The new total is 1,721.

Cardinals-Autographs-736

Shane

edited January 22, 2022 4:10PM

Shane,

Nice scores on the TTM's. Making some great progress.

Edited to add: I really like the Keith Hernandez signatures.

Donato

Here is another one from my new source. This one is a 1991 Topps Lee Smith.

The new total is 1,722.

Cardinals-Autographs-737

Shane

What a great haul!!! I am a huge fan of cursive writing as I won a few penmanship awards while I was in the third and fourth grades. Some of the earlier signatures from the 1980's look great when someone takes the time to write their name in such a way that it looks like art.

Congrats on picking up some great looking autos!!!

Donato

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.

great stuff!!

I have been wondering after the last couple post, what do you think will be your hardest cards to get? what modern card and what vintage card?

Fred

edited January 26, 2022 9:16AM

@baseballfan said:
    great stuff!!

I have been wondering after the last couple post, what do you think will be your hardest cards to get? what modern card and what vintage card?

Thanks for the question.

Modern cards - probably any number of Pujols League Leaders. Usually collectors try to get regular cards signed. You don't see many LL cards signed by Pujols. Would probably need to cough up some serious money at a private signing just to get one.

Modern - 2014 Topps Update Oscar Taveras. Close to literally impossible. If memory serves me correctly, there is a window of around one or two weeks between the release of this set and his tragic death. There probably isn't one in existence, but you never know.

Vintage - the 3 1952 Topps High numbers that I don't have...Les Fusselman, Eddie Yuhas, and Hal Rice. I actually do have a Wilmer Mizell high number but his death was later (1999) and his signature is more common. However, Rice died in 1997, Yuhas died in 1986, and Fusselman died in 1970. I must say that ANY signed card of someone that died in 1970 is going to super expensive. Couple that with it being a 1952 high number... Nearly impossible and if one exists it would be unaffordable!

Shane

edited January 26, 2022 4:01PM

Time to move on to the next one. This is a recent TTM success.

This 2002 Topps Traded and 2003 Topps Traded Jimmy Journell. These cards were returned in 17 days.

The 2002 is a duplicate but will use this one for my collection.

The 2003 raises the total to 1,802.

Cardinals-Autographs-753

Shane

Here is another TTM success. I remember getting Fernando Vina TTM years ago back in 2007. At that time I was just getting the main card in base sets. As the months and years went on I started trying to get everything from base sets. I sent of these cards and got them back in 18 days.

2002 Topps Fernando Vina Gold Glove Award Winner

2003 Topps Fernando Vina Gold Glove Award Winner

These 2 make the new total 1,804.

Cardinals-Autographs-754

Shane

edited January 29, 2022 6:26PM

The following 2 cards are from a reputable member over at SCN. I'm just glad for the nameplate and the picture on the card because I wouldn't have a clue from the signatures!

2010 Topps Update Adam Ottavino

2010 Topps Update Jon Jay

Total is now 1,806.

Cardinals-Autographs-755

Shane

Picked up 5 more from another collector on SCN.

2007 Topps Mark Mulder

2007 Topps David Eckstein

2007 Topps Update Mike Maroth

2007 Topps Update Rick Ankiel

2013 Topps Joe Kelly

These 5 increase the total to 1,811.

Cardinals-Autographs-756

Shane

Here is another one from over at SCN. You can't really read it, but I kind of like Brendan Ryan's signature. Kind of neat!

2010 Topps Brendan Ryan

New total is 1,812.

Cardinals-Autographs-757

Shane

edited January 31, 2022 7:20PM

Here is another TTM. Tony LaRussa sent this back to me in 23 days. It was a little weird sending it to the Chicago White Sox, but it worked.

2009 Topps Update Legendary Leaders Tony LaRussa

Total is now 1,813.

Cardinals-Autographs-758

Shane

Here is another TTM. This 2005 Topps Update Mark Grudzielanek came back after 26 days. He also was nice enough to send an extra signed Expos card to me that I did not send to him.

Total is now 1,814.

Cardinals-Autographs-759

Shane

@frankhardy said:
    Here is another TTM. This 2005 Topps Update Mark Grudzielanek came back after 26 days. He also was nice enough to send an extra signed Expos card to me that I did not send to him.

Total is now 1,814.

Cardinals-Autographs-759

Some players really appreciate their fans. It's nice to see that.

Donato

Up next is another good one from my new source. Here is a 2001 Topps Mark McGwire. He signed it vertically, but it's still a nice signature.

New total is 1,815.
    Cardinals-Autographs-760

Shane

edited February 6, 2022 12:40PM

Here is another nice haul from my new source that is liquidating his collection. These are either deceased or very tough to get.

1977 Topps John Denny LL (super tough; finishes 1977 Topps Cardinals signed team set; also has Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, which obviously does not count since he was not a Cardinal)

1978 Topps John Denny (super tough)

1980 Topps John Denny (super tough; finishes 1980 Topps Cardinals signed team set)

1981 Topps Bob Forsch (d. 2011; not super tough, but just could never find one)

1983 Topps Darrell Porter (d. 2002; all of his signed Cardinals cards are tough; others teams not as much demand)

1983 Topps Bob Forsch (d. 2011; not super tough, but just could never find one)

1983 Topps Cardinals Team Leaders w/ Lonnie Smith and Joaquin Andujar (already had one with Smith; Andujar died in 2015; only adds one to the total)

1985 Topps Darrell Porter (d. 2002; with Proverbs 3:5-6 inscription)

Proverbs 3:5-6 is one of my favorite passages. Proverbs 3:5-6 says Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

1990 Topps Paul Coleman (tough; only Topps card; never played MLB)

1992 Topps Andres Galarraga (tough)

1993 Topps Andres Galarraga (tough)

1994 Topps Allen Watson (not tough; just didn't have it)

1999 Topps Matt Morris (tough)

1999 Topps Fernando Tatis (tough)

These 14 signatures raise the total to 1,829.

Cardinals-Autographs-761

Cardinals-Autographs-762

Cardinals-Autographs-763

Shane

Another great haul, Shane.

Congrats on all your new pickups!!!

Donato

edited February 7, 2022 5:09PM

This next one is a replacement. My previous one was a very hurried signature and I like this one better. It also comes from my new source.

This 1991 Topps Pedro Guerrero does not add to the total, which stays at 1,829.

Cardinals-Autographs-764

Shane

The next 17 postings will be of HOF Cardinals that I just received from my new source. These are not the easiest to come by due to the nature of some of these cards.

I will start with a 1981 Topps Traded Bruce Sutter. I have looked for this card for a long time. Finally!

Total is now 1,830.

Cardinals-Autographs-765

Shane

Up next in this HOF run is a 1983 Topps Bruce Sutter. Again, I got this one from my new source. I love Sutter's signature. Very classy.

Total is now 1,831.

Cardinals-Autographs-766

Shane

I agree, the Sutter signature is a beauty. I love the older signatures, much better than the scribbles of today.

Donato

edited February 11, 2022 8:44PM

Here is a fairly tough one - a 1983 Topps Steve Carlton Super Veteran. He had not been with the Cardinals since 1971, but this super vet shows him with the Phillies and with the Cardinals so it is part of the team set.

The new total is 1,832.

Cardinals-Autographs-767

Shane

Here is another Super Vet HOF'er. This is a 1983 Topps Bruce Sutter Super Veteran.

Total is now 1,833.

Cardinals-Autographs-768

Shane

Up next is another super vet. Here is a 1983 Topps Ted Simmons Super Veteran.

Total is now 1,834.

Cardinals-Autographs-769

Shane

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

do u have tom hughes from PANAMA ? 1959

@lawyer05 said:
    do u have tom hughes from PANAMA ? 1959

Tom Hughes did not have a Topps card so I do not have his autograph. However, I did just read about him on Wikipedia. Interesting.

Shane