Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE: My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 2002 Topps complete!) ALBERT PUJOLS added

1242526272830»

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Any thought of adding more years?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Congratulations. Any thought of adding more years?

Since I am staying with Topps regular base (plus Traded/Update), I've obviously gone back as far as I can. Going forward, I actually do have a couple from 2020 and 2021. Modern players are kind of difficult to get unless you go to spring training or go to a lot of games and know to to access them. I will probably drift forward slowly, but not a priority right now.

I still need a good many from 2003-2019. Most are Pujols and Molina LL cards, AS cards, etc. Also, some Matt Holliday, Carlos Beltran, as well as others.

Shane

Up next is another cut signature. I'm sure I will be able to get this one eventually "on card". The league leader type cards are sometimes harder to find. This is a 1961 Topps NL HR LL featuring Ken Boyer. I got this signature from an index card authenticated by SGC. You can see before and after pictures below.

This one totally completes my signed 1961 Topps Cardinals team set. This also completes from 1952 - 1961. I only need 2 signatures to totally complete 1952 - 2002.

The new total is 2,352.

Cardinals-Autographs-1025

Cardinals-Autographs-1026

Shane

edited June 25, 2024 4:19PM

I have had this one ready to put together for a few weeks, but I have just not found the time. Here is a 1962 Topps NL Batting League Leaders with a Ken Boyer cut signature from a Beckett authenticated index card. Mr Boyer passed away in 2002.

This one makes the 1962 Topps signed team set complete. This also totally completes 1952 - 1964 and 1966 - 2002. The only one I need in 1965 Topps is a Fritz Ackley signed. Three things makes this one very difficult. Number one, he shares a rookie card with Steve Carlton. Secondly, Fritz Ackley signatures are very difficult to find in any form. His career lasted only 5 games over 2 seasons with the White Sox and never appeared for the Cardinals. Mr Ackely passed away in 2002, which makes it even more difficult.

I have included a before and after picture for this Boyer. This one raises the total to 2,353.

Cardinals-Autographs-1027

Cardinals-Autographs-1028

Shane

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have that Boyer 62 somewhere. Assume you have these? I had tried collecting every leaders card with all autos at one point but gave up.

I would be willing to trade or sell these. Love your project btw. Congrats.

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭

What an amazing accomplishment Shane. Congrats!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
    edited June 25, 2024 6:27PM

After a few weeks away from this thread, I am back. First of all, I had a lull in simply finding any that I needed. Secondly, I have been super busy with work, playing golf, church stuff, my son's ACL surgery, my own physical therapy (back and hip), etc. During the hiatus, I have accumulated several lately....mostly from the Topps Archives Signature Series. These are cards that I was very reluctant to add to my collection because they were pack issued in later years. However, these are original cards that are "buybacks", signed, and stamped. The stamp to me is just as good as a PSA/DNA or JSA authentication. I have come to really enjoy looking for these cards. If these cards were reprints and signed, they would not be going into my collection, but since they are the real card, I have started adding them. I will be adding several in the coming days.

The only thing that I DON'T like about the Topps Archives Signature Series, is that they include Bowman products and misc. Topps products and so my saved Ebay searches are very cluttered. I have to ignore all of those and look for flagship Topps and Topps Update cards.

Up next is a 1971 Topps Reggie Cleveland & Luis Melendez RC. I already had these two signatures, but they were on separate cards. I prefer the signatures on the same card, but I really don't make a big deal about it if I have multiple cards to get all the signatures. This one was too inexpensive to pass on, so I bought it and replaced the other two cards with this one card.

This card and signatures do not add to the total since I already had them.

The total stays at 2,353.

Cardinals-Autographs-1029

Shane

edited June 25, 2024 6:30PM

Up next is a 2020 Topps Jack Flaherty. This one is a Topps Archives Signature Series stamp. I am loving getting these because they are original cards and they are authenticated by Topps with permanent stamp.

Also, I would like mention that my focus in the past has been only up to 2019, even though I have had a slight few from 2020 and after. I have made the decision to go forward past 2019 with these Topps Archives Signature Series cards and also signed cards from reputable dealers. These newer players can be hard to get if you don't go to shows, Spring Training, or know how to get autos at games, etc.

This one raises the total to 2,354.

Cardinals-Autographs-1030

Shane

Here is another one going past 2019. This is a 2020 Topps Lane Thomas Update Lane Thomas. After a couple of years with the Cardinals, he ended up in Washington where he has had a couple of very solid years.

The new total is 2,355.

Cardinals-Autographs-1031

Shane

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane,

Nice score on a couple of new autos. I love the flair in Jack Flaherty's auto, the Lane Thomas not so much.

Congrats on your new pickups.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

This is my first one from 2022. Here is a 2022 Topps Jack Flaherty. This one is also a Topps Archives Signature Series stamped original card.

Total is now 2,356.

Cardinals-Autographs-1032

Shane

edited July 8, 2024 5:44AM

Here is one that is kind of unique. A few months ago, I was participating in a private signing with Jhonny Peralta, but, to my dismay, it fell through. This card was the only card of his as a member of the Cardinals that I needed signed. I was fortunate enough to find one on Ebay recently, and here it is. This is a 2015 Topps Update Jhonny Peralta All Star. I got this one on Ebay from a reputable seller.

Total is now 2,357.

Cardinals-Autographs-1033

Shane

edited July 10, 2024 5:29AM

I was very pleased to get this one, especially at the price I paid. I got this well below my max bid. This is a 2011 Topps Yadier Molina PSA/DNA. Regular signed Topps cards for players like Molina are very difficult to find. This one is a big get!

Total is now 2,358.

Cardinals-Autographs-1034

Shane

Awesome Yadi!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector

Up next is another Topps Archives. Here is a 2011 Topps Update #US242 Matt Holliday HR Derby signed. This one is also a Topps Archives Signature Series stamped original card.

When I first relented and started "settling" for these, I really didn't want to do it and my plan was to replace if one became available. The more I have acquired, the more I wonder why I hesitated. These are original cards that Topps had the players autograph and they inserted them back into packs. I guess because they were inserted them into packs is the reason I hesitated. If the card was reprinted, I would not have even got them. Now, I realize that the signature series stamp is the same principle is having a signature authenticated. Now, I love having them. As for my cut signatures pasted onto real cards, those I plan on replacing as they become available and if I can afford some of them.

Total is now 2,359.

Cardinals-Autographs-1035

Shane

Before I retire for the night, I wanted to post another one. Here is a 2013 Topps #125 Matt Holliday Wild Card card. This one is also a Topps Archives Signature Series stamped original card.

Total is now 2,360.

Cardinals-Autographs-1036

Shane

Up next is another Topps Archives. This one is a 2011 Topps Matt Holliday with a Topps Archives Signature Series Stamp. He is another tough modern player to find on specific basic cards. I was glad to get this one!

Total is now 2,361.

Cardinals-Autographs-1037

Shane

Here is another Topps Archives Signature Series stamped card. This is a 2021 Topps Dylan Carlson. He was a hot prospect at one time, but has not turned out like the Cardinals thought. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at the deadline. Anyway, this one adds to my collection.

Total is now 2,362.

Cardinals-Autographs-1038

Shane

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭

Have you really been working on this since at least 2007? Even seeing what you started with in the first post from back then with all those 50s autographs was quite impressive! I just started on the biggest quest of my hobby career (I made a post about it; it's staring 1971 (and 1972) Topps set) though I reckon your journey is by far the most fascinating and interesting I've yet seen on here!

WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
    edited July 27, 2024 8:23AM

@Estil said:
    Have you really been working on this since at least 2007? Even seeing what you started with in the first post from back then with all those 50s autographs was quite impressive! I just started on the biggest quest of my hobby career (I made a post about it; it's staring 1971 (and 1972) Topps set) though I reckon your journey is by far the most fascinating and interesting I've yet seen on here!

Thank you for the kind words! Good luck on your project!

Yes, it all started in February 2007. The first TTM I sent was to none other than Stan Musial. I have a spreadsheet of TTM successes and failures. I sent a 1960 Topps and an index card. He returned the cards unsigned, but sent his typical glossy photo postcard that was genuinely signed (not autopen). I started with random cards and not even limiting it to Cardinals. Sometime in late February, I started limiting it to Cardinals and regular Topps only. In April, I had gotten so many back that I thought it would be good to start this thread. The rest is history...documented history!

Shane

Up next is a 2021 Topps Update Dylan Carlson Rookie Debut. This is another Topps Archives Signature Series stamped card.

Total is now 2,363.

Cardinals-Autographs-1039

Shane

edited July 27, 2024 1:48PM

Up next is a replacement and does not add to the total. This is a 1952 Topps Hal Rice high number with a cut signature that I am replacing from my first try. I was never pleased with it. This one is a little bit better, but I am not totally pleased with this one either.

I think it is a combination of things... the white area directly behind his head kind of blends with the cut signature making it look weird. His signature is short because it's only 7 letters, but his signature is always tall, so there really isn't really a good area of placement. I didn't want to go across his face, I didn't want it to go into the border, and I didn't want it to go into the nameplate.

The first index card was just a horrible example with tape residue. So, in order to minimize the tape residue, I cut it thinly around and along the top of the "R" in Rice. It just didn't look good and I never liked it.

Since he passed away in 1997, his signatures are not very plentiful of any sort. This one comes from a clean index card, but it has the blue lines through it. I took the edge of a knife and sort of scraped away the blue lines, which I think helped a little bit. But that white area behind his head just makes the cut signature look strange. Anyway, it's the best I can do for now.

Again, this one does not add to the total since this is a replacement. Total remains 2,363.

Cardinals-Autographs-1040

Cardinals-Autographs-1041

Cardinals-Autographs-1042

Here is a comparison with the first one.

Cardinals-Autographs-1042 Cardinals-Autographs-975

Shane

Here is a really tough modern one. I got this from a reputable source from which I have gotten hundreds of my signatures from. He lives near St Louis and gets them in person and has many connections with the team. I had to talk him into selling me this one. He has a duplicate, which is the only reason he sold it to me.

Here is a 2007 Topps Yadier Molina. So glad to get this one!

Total is now 2,364.

Cardinals-Autographs-1043

Shane

edited August 3, 2024 6:08PM

Up next is another Molina from the same source as the above card. So glad to get this one. Maybe one day, I can get Albert Pujols to sign it. Until then, here is is - a 2007 Topps Classic Combos Yadier Molina signed.

Total is now 2,365.

Cardinals-Autographs-1044

Shane

Here is another Topps Archives Signture Series stamped original card. This is a 2020 Topps Miles Mikolas.

Total is now 2,366.

Cardinals-Autographs-1045

Shane

This one is huge! Fritz Ackley passed away in 2002. Mr Ackley's only 2 Topps cards are from 1964 (with the White Sox) and a 1965 Topps with the Cardinals. The problem is that there are not that many Fritz Ackley autos in existence that are available. Secondly, I have never even seen a dual signed Carlton / Ackley RC. Since I was able to find a signed index card, I had a decision to make. I could either attach it to my already signed Carlton RC. Or, I could spend a bunch of money and buy another card to attach it to. I decided to go with the one that I already had that was signed by Steve Carlton. That saved me some money, and it is now dual signed. Yes, I know it is not an "on card" signature, but I am already way down the road with this process and I'm not about to turn around now! Of course, I am still looking for replacements for my cut signatures, but I have only found one....and it is a way out of my price range. There is a 1957 Topps Sam Jones signed and slabbed by SGC for $1,500. I like mine JUST FINE!

So, here it is - a "dual signed" 1965 Topps Steve Carlton / Fritz Ackley RC.

This totally completes every Cardinals team set from 1952 - 2002 Topps. That's correct - every single Topps Cardinals card signed from 1952 - 2002.

The new total is now 2,367.

Cardinals-Autographs-1046

Cardinals-Autographs-1047

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

WOW!!

Great accomplishment Great set

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

This next one is a first of it's kind for my collection, but more is coming just like it. This is the first cut signature where I have actually used another baseball card for the signature. I am trying to only find ones with white backgrounds, and this one fits the bill.

Here is a 2006 Topps Update #UH198 WS Game 1 Anthony Reyes. I used a 2006 Topps Certified Autographs card for the signature. There are before and after pictures below.

The new total is 2,368.

Cardinals-Autographs-1048

Cardinals-Autographs-1049

Shane

Shane,

First off, that is an amazing accomplishment, to complete 50 years of Cardinal autographed cards!!! You should be proud!!!

Nice job on combining the Topps Autograph card with the Anthony Reyes card.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Wow! What an amazing accomplishment Shane! Awesome pickup on the Ackley. I know that's been a bucket list auto for you. Congratulations!!

edited August 25, 2024 1:06PM

This is another kind of unique cut signature. I needed one of Jeff Weaver, and I found this about as cheap as you can get. This is some sort of statistical card. I'm not sure if it is for some board game or just an informational type of item. It is about the thickness of an index card. Anyway, I knew the colors on the card would interfere with his signature, so, I decided to take my knife and go to work to remove the color from around the signature very, very carefully. I think it turned out really well.

Here is a 2006 Topps Update #US330 Classic Duos featuring Jeff Weaver and his younger brother, Jared.

There is a before picture, after color removal picture, and final product picture. By the way, no ink on the signature was added by me. That would be way over the line. All I did was remove color from the original card and stayed away from the ink of the signature.

The new total is now 2,369.

Cardinals-Autographs-1050

Cardinals-Autographs-1051

Cardinals-Autographs-1052

Shane

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    So, here it is - a "dual signed" 1965 Topps Steve Carlton / Fritz Ackley RC.

This totally completes every Cardinals team set from 1952 - 2002 Topps. That's correct - every single Topps Cardinals card signed from 1952 - 2002.

The new total is now 2,367.

That is just other worldly. So now that you got every single Topps Cardinals card signed from 1952-2002, will you now go for the married ones?

WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

Here is another example of a cut signature by using another actual official baseball card. The cut signature is from 2004 Topps Autographs card. Here is a 2009 Topps Khalil Greene. For some reason, I have not been able to find one of this card with an on card signature. I'm sure one will show up at some point. As I do these cut signatures from other cards, I try to find a white background, or at least close to white. So far, I have had some luck in doing so. I am very pleased by the way this one turned out.

The new total is 2,370.

Cardinals-Autographs-1053

Cardinals-Autographs-1054

Shane

edited September 2, 2024 11:29AM

I found another index card that I used for a cut signature. This one is Beckett authenticated. Here is a 2003 Topps Edgar Renteria Gold Glove Winner card from the base set. As I have said before, as I find "on card" signatures, I will replace if possible. Until then, these work great!

The new total is 2,371.

Cardinals-Autographs-1055

Cardinals-Autographs-1056

Shane

I was this many years old when I found out Khalil Greene played for the Cardinals at one point. I may have known that somewhere in history but that one surprised me. Nice cuts!!

Here is another cut signature from another baseball card. So far, all of my cut signatures from other baseball cards have been certified autos. This is a 2015 Topps Update Jason Heyward. This cut signature comes from a 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen certified auto. I really like how this one turned out!

I had a private signing almost in the bag for this card a few months ago, but it got cancelled. Maybe one day another will happen. Until then....

The new total is 2,372.

Cardinals-Autographs-1057

Cardinals-Autographs-1058

Shane

Shane,

Nice job making these cut autos work for your Cardinals auto set. The Greene auto has some really nice flair to it.

Donato

Thanks so much for the compliments. I have really enjoyed the "temporary cut signature" route on these hard to find autos.

Up next is the last Scott Rolen auto needed for my collection. This 2007 Topps Scott Rolen Gold Glove Award from the base set was signed via a private signing organized by someone over at SCN.

The new total is 2,373.

Cardinals-Autographs-1059

Shane

Nice J-Hey!! As a Braves fan I pull for him wherever he goes.

edited September 14, 2024 11:25AM

Up next I exciting to post my last Larry Walker needed for my collection. This is a 2005 Topps #350 NLDS Game 1 featuring Larry Walker and Albert Pujols. I had this one signed by Larry Walker via private signing organized from someone at SCN. Larry Walker's signature is so exquisite!

Now, I just have to wait for a private signing and pay lots of money to get Pujols to sign the card! One day it will happen!

The new total is 2,374.

Cardinals-Autographs-1060

Shane

Up next is a huge get. I had to pony up with a private signing fee. This private signing was organized by someone over at SCN. This is a 2006 Topps Albert Pujols. I paid a little extra for JSA authentication.

With his private signings being so expensive, it is going to take me a lifetime to get everything like league leader cards, All Star cards, and misc cards in the basic set. So goes the chase!

The new total is 2,375.

Cardinals-Autographs-1061

Shane

That is a sweet Albert!!

Here is another one from the same Pujols private signing as the above post. Here is a 2008 Topps Albert Pujols. Now I only need 2009 Topps, 2022 Topps Update, and 2023 Topps to have all of his regular Topps cards in a Cardinals uniform signed (not counting League Leaders, All Star cards, etc).

The new total is 2,376.

Cardinals-Autographs-1062

Shane