Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE: My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 2002 Topps complete!) ALBERT PUJOLS added

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 3:27PM

Up next is another TTM. Bob Sykes took 29 days to return. Not sure why I didn't try this card the first go around back in 2007. Glad to add this one to the collection.

Total is now 1,656.

Cardinals-Autographs-698

Shane

This one is another from my new source. Here is a 1962 Topps Ken Boyer All Star. I have pulled in a few Boyers lately. Since he died in 1982, they can get rather pricey. What complicates things is that he is featured on several all star cards and league leader cards.

This one makes the total 1,657.

Cardinals-Autographs-699

Shane

Presenting 3 more from my new source. Here they are.

1964 Topps RBI League Leaders card signed by Bill White. My goal is to find one signed by both Ken Boyer and Bill White. If not, I will try to find one with just Ken Boyer. Anytime this happens, I always try to find one signed by both first. If I can't, then I get them one at a time. Then afterwards, if I find one signed by both after having one of each, I try to go for it and replace the separate cards.

1965 Topps Rookie Stars signed by Dave Ricketts (d. 2008). I think this one was so difficult because this card features a HOF'er named Tony Perez. It is not a cheap card even unsigned.

1965 Tops Rookie Stars signed by Nellie Briles and Ed (Wayne) Spiezio. This is an example of what I was talking about above. I already had this card signed by Briles. I was able to pick this one up so I will replace the single signed card. This one will only add one more signature to the count. Nellie Briles died in 2005. Ed Spiezio is the father of former Angels and Cardinals standout, Scott Spiezio.

These 3 raise the total to 1,660.

Cardinals-Autographs-700

Shane

Up next is another one from my new source. Here is a 1963 Topps Ken Boyer PSA/DNA.

Total is now 1,661.

Cardinals-Autographs-701

Shane

Up next is a 1978 Topps Hector Cruz. Signature is light, but it shows up better in person. I needed this one so I picked it up for less than $20.

Total is now 1,662.

Cardinals-Autographs-702

Shane

edited January 14, 2022 3:28PM

Here is a 1988 Topps Bob Gibson Turn Back The Clock picturing a 1968 Topps card.

Total is now 1,663.

Cardinals-Autographs-703

Here is the original as well.

Cardinals_Autographs_397

Shane

edited January 14, 2022 3:28PM

This next one is a replacement. I already had a 1964 Topps Ken Boyer, but I like this one better because the signature "pops" more than my other one. I was able to get a good deal on it so I got it. This one is his MVP year so it is more desirable than a normal card other than his rookie.

The total will not change and stay at 1,663.

Cardinals-Autographs-704

Shane

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane,

It's hard to believe you started this project 14 and half years ago. I applaud your dedication to it and especially going back to "old school" for some of the newer players and sending out for some TTM autographs.

Congrats on your great Cardinals autograph run! You should be proud.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    edited December 16, 2021 1:24PM

@divecchia said:
    Shane,

It's hard to believe you started this project 14 and half years ago. I applaud your dedication to it and especially going back to "old school" for some of the newer players and sending out for some TTM autographs.

Donato

Thank you very much. This project has been so enjoyable.

For my regular (unsigned) Cardinals team sets, I think I remember buying something from you. Did you sell me a 1988 Topps Cloth Cardinals team set back in the early 2000's?

Shane

@frankhardy said:

@divecchia said:
    Shane,

Donato

Thank you very much. This project has been so enjoyable.

For my regular (unsigned) Cardinals team sets, I think I remember buying something from you. Did you sell me a 1988 Topps Cloth Cardinals team set back in the early 2000's?

Shane,

Good memory, that is exactly what you bought from me. It was the Cardinals set from the 1988 Topps Experimental Cloth cards.

Wishing you the best on more autographed cards for your set.

Take care, Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

edited January 14, 2022 3:29PM

Here is another TTM success. I sent this card to Mr Terry Hughes and he returned it in 46 days. Again...back in the early days I did not focus on multi-player cards. Terry Hughes is a consistent signer, but I am still glad to get this one back. I am closing in on a complete 1974 team set.

Total is now 1,664.

Cardinals-Autographs-705

Shane

Shane,

Getting your own TTM signature must be a thrill, more so than just buying one on-line.

I looked up Terry Hughes and it looks like he was only with the Cardinals for one year in 1973 appearing in only 11 games and he ended his career in 1974 with the Red Sox.

Congrats on your TTM success.

Donato

@divecchia said:
    Shane,

Getting your own TTM signature must be a thrill, more so than just buying one on-line.

I looked up Terry Hughes and it looks like he was only with the Cardinals for one year in 1973 appearing in only 11 games and he ended his career in 1974 with the Red Sox.

Congrats on your TTM success.

Donato

It is definitely a thrill to go to the mailbox and seeing those envelopes with an address label to myself with the same address label for the return address. I automatically know it is a TTM auto. I got one yesterday that I will post soon. I need to get more sent out. However, it is still a thrill to get that rare or HOF auto. The TTM has more of a personal touch, though.

Thanks for looking, Donato!

Shane

Got a few more to post and get caught up on. Here is a 1991 Topps Ozzie Smith. I am slowly chipping away at a full run of Ozzie signed cards. I have just a few more left to get. His signature is so consistent and a work of art. Even his hurried signature isn't much different.

Total is now 1,665.

Cardinals-Autographs-706

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

question
    do you have the Ozzie rookie signed since he was a Padre then?

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited December 18, 2021 1:45PM

@baseballfan said:
    question
    do you have the Ozzie rookie signed since he was a Padre then?

I do not. The earliest that I have is a 1982 Topps Traded, which was his first on the Cardinals. I do have a few unsigned.

Shane

Here are a couple of more to add to the collection - a 1992 Topps Felix Jose and a 2018 Topps Carson Kelly.

Total is now 1,667.

Cardinals-Autographs-707

Shane

Up next are 3 cards from my new source that is liquidating his Cardinals collection.

1965 Topps World Series Game 4 featuring Ken Boyer

1965 Topps World Series Game 5 featuring the signatures of Mike Shannon, Bill White, Dick Groat, and Tim McCarver. Even though this one has 4 signatures, only 3 will be added to the count because I already had one with just Tim McCarver. Ironically, I just got it back from Tim McCarver a few weeks ago after I started submitting TTM again after a long hiatus. I couldn't resist an opportunity to add this card with 4 signatures on it.

1965 Topps World Series Game 7 featuring the recently late Bob Gibson.

These 6 signatures will increase the count by 5 making the new total 1,672.

Cardinals-Autographs-708

Shane

Shane, some great additions. I really like the multi-signed card.

Congrats, Donato

This next one is from my new source once again. I already had this card signed by Dick Hughes. I was able to acquire this one signed by both Jim Cosman and Dick Hughes. Mr Cosman passed away in 2013. He was a few weeks shy of turning 70. Interestingly enough, he was the CEO of Republic Services, a company that my brother drove a truck for a few years ago.

Mr Dick Hughes is 83 years old now. Who knew he was second in the rookie of the year balloting in 1967! Some guy named Tom Seaver actually won the award.

This card will only add 1 to the total because I already had Hughes' signature on another card.

The new total is now 1,673.

Cardinals-Autographs-709

Shane

edited January 14, 2022 3:30PM

Here are a couple of tough ones.

1969 Topps Vada Pinson. Mr Pinson passed away in 1995 from a stroke. An interesting fact for him is that he went to the same high school as Frank Robinson (a nine year teammate), former Cardinals teammate Curt Flood, and basketball HOF'er Bill Russell.

1977 Topps John Denny. For some reason, John Denny is a very difficult autograph. He is impossible through the mail. I had to settle for this light signature on a 1977 card. It shows up much better in person, especially at an angle where you can see the pen indention. It is a candidate for replacement one day.

These 2 raise the total to 1,675.

Cardinals-Autographs-710

Shane

Up next is a 1989 Topps Dan Quisenberry. This one is a very light signature. It is a candidate to be replaced one day, but this one will work until then. I got this one from the guy that got the signature in person. He said his sharpie was struggling that day, so the autograph is weak. It is not fading, it has looked the same since 1989. Mr Quisenberry passed away in 1998.

The new total is 1,676.

Cardinals-Autographs-711

Shane

Wow, I looked up Dan Quisenberry and he died of brain cancer at the young age of 45.

Is he a tough auto because of his early death or was he a prolific signer?

Donato

edited December 23, 2021 4:06PM

@divecchia said:
    Wow, I looked up Dan Quisenberry and he died of brain cancer at the young age of 45.

Is he a tough auto because of his early death or was he a prolific signer?

Donato

Probably more because of his early death. He only has 2 Topps Cardinals cards, 1989 and 1990, so I haven't really looked for others. Not sure how difficult it will be to find 1990 or another 1989. Probably not impossible, but it may take a while.

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭

That WS Gibson is sharp! I wish I had chased more Gibson autos. I got to meet him briefly and get an in person auto the same year/event I got Garvey IP. This will always be a sad tale though, as I was not in a position to get to any of my cards. I could have added some really nice vintage signed cards, but had to settle for newer collector issues. For example, I got Gibson on a Fleer Greats of the Game card. I didn't (and still don't) have his RC, but I would have tried for a 61T or maybe that great 71T IA shot. I also got Orlando Cepeda on an archives RC reprint instead of the real thing. Still happy to get those signatures and more in person, but hate to get new cheap cards signed. I always go for the best/vintage when I have a chance.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    That WS Gibson is sharp! I wish I had chased more Gibson autos. I got to meet him briefly and get an in person auto the same year/event I got Garvey IP. This will always be a sad tale though, as I was not in a position to get to any of my cards. I could have added some really nice vintage signed cards, but had to settle for newer collector issues. For example, I got Gibson on a Fleer Greats of the Game card. I didn't (and still don't) have his RC, but I would have tried for a 61T or maybe that great 71T IA shot. I also got Orlando Cepeda on an archives RC reprint instead of the real thing. Still happy to get those signatures and more in person, but hate to get new cheap cards signed. I always go for the best/vintage when I have a chance.

I agree a million times over. Original / vintage is the way to go.

Shane

My next entry in this journal is 2 recent TTM cards - a 1985 Topps Traded and 1986 Topps Ivan DeJesus.

Mr DeJesus is a very inconsistent signer that many times takes over a year and sometimes two years to get a return, if at all. I was able to use my "Cardinals collector" charm to get him to sign in just 53 days. If you will notice, one says "Longtime Cardinal fan" and the other says "Lifelong Cardinal fan". I guess he was addressing the cards to me in that way in order to hint around not to sell his signature. Anyway, I am very happy to get these signatures with these unique inscriptions.

I already had a 1986 Topps, but it was slightly smudged so I will replace it with this one.

These 2 signatures will raise the count by 1 making the new total 1,677.

Cardinals-Autographs-712

Shane

Here are 3 that I acquired from my new source that is liquidating his collection. I can only afford to buy a few at a time. He has been patient with me in letting me do that. He has several more that I need and should be able to purchase in the coming weeks.

1968 Topps World Series Game 3 featuring Nellie Briles. Mr Briles passed away in 2005.

1969 Topps Rookie Stars featuring Joe Hague who passed away back in 1994. I already have one signed by Jim Hicks. Anytime I can't find a card with all signatures, I try to find two different ones. Then if I end up finding one with all signatures I just replace it if I can.

1970 Topps Rookie Stars featuring Sal Campisi, Reggie Cleveland, and Santiago Guzman. I did not have this card even signed by one of these players. I am not sure why I didn't try Sal Campisi in the past. He is a very consistent TTM signer. Like I said earlier, years ago I did not focus on multi-player cards very often. I am fairly certain that I was able to get other Reggie Cleveland cards TTM years ago. I know I got all of his cards somehow, either by TTM or purchase. Santiago Guzman is a different story. His is a very tough autograph to come by. Very glad to get this card.

These 3 cards will add 5 signatures to the count making it 1,682.

Cardinals-Autographs-713

Shane

Nice score on the triple signed card.

Donato

the multiple player cards are always cool when completely signed
    congrats!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

edited January 14, 2022 3:31PM

Here are 3 more from my new source.

1971 Topps Joe Torre. I was able to get Mr Torre TTM one time years ago when I sent him a manager's card from the 1990s. I was unable to get him to sign when I sent him a 1971 Topps card. Just picked this one up and love it because it was his MVP year.

1971 Topps League Leaders with Joe Torre

1971 Topps Fred Norman. He charges $10 per autograph. I was going to send TTM but picked this one up easy enough with these other cards.

Total is now 1,685.

Cardinals-Autographs-714

Shane

Up next are 3 more from my new source. These 3 makes my entire 1974 Topps signed set 100% complete.

1974 Topps Ted Simmons. Mr Simmons is the newest member of the baseball Hall of Fame.

1974 Topps Sonny Siebert. Mr Siebert was drafted by the Cleveland Indians and the St Louis Hawks of the NBA.

1974 Topps Tommie Agee. Mr Agee passed away in 2001.

The new total is now 1,688.

Cardinals-Autographs-715

Shane

This next one is a big one. I took a little bit of a risk with this one, but I am confident. It came from a reputable seller and I have a couple of authenticated ones from different years that are identical to this one. Once I got it in person and put a loupe to it I am 100% confident.

Up next is a 2010 Topps Albert Pujols. I have several different versions of his signature. I have one from spring training in his rookie year. I have one from 2002 which had changed a little bit. In the mid 2000s is when he changed to his standard unhurried signature. And then you have his hurried signature. This is his hurried signature. Even his hurried signatures are consistent with his other hurried signatures.

This one makes the new total 1,689.

Cardinals-Autographs-716

Shane

Up next is a purchase from these here dandy message boards at CU. Thanks to Rynoe for making these available. He got these in person in Jupiter, FL where the Cardinals have their spring training complex. He is from Jupiter.

2006 Topps Anthony Reyes

2006 Topps Jason Isringhausen

2006 Topps David Eckstein Postseason HL

2007 Topps Adam Kennedy

These 4 make the new total rise to 1,693.

Cardinals-Autographs-717

Shane

Shane,

Those are some bold and great looking signatures, especially the top two!

Congrats on your pickups.

Donato

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭

SPECTACULAR!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

Now that, is really cool!!! Our children making us proud; priceless!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Donato

it is one of your best!!

congrats

Fred

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 12:01PM

I have a slabbed auto 1962 Topps Curt Flood, PSA .. tough one, blue sharpie.
    Do you have that one ?

Pete

@picklepete said:
    I have a slabbed auto 1962 Topps Curt Flood, PSA .. tough one, blue sharpie.
    Do you have that one ?

Pete

I had to look to be sure..... But I do have the Curt Flood. I am only 2 cards away from having a full team set. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Shane

Thanks for all of the comments about my son and his card. I thought it was neat.

Up next are a couple of commons that are hard to get TTM but can be found elsewhere without too much of a problem.

Here is a 1987 Topps Clint Hurdle and a 1989 Topps John Morris.

The new total is 1,696.

Cardinals-Autographs-719

Shane

Nice pickups, Shane.

Donato

edited January 14, 2022 3:32PM

Up next is an example of one of life's ironies as well as a nice reminder. Here is a 1988 Topps Tim Conroy. This card was a gift from a member on an autograph message board. Very much appreciated! Here is the irony. This pitcher had a card with the Cardinals in 1986 Traded, 1987, and 1988. I have all three. Out of those three, two of them were given to me! (86 T Traded and this 88 T). I though that was neat and a good reminder that we all need to have a generous heart towards other people.

The new total is now 1,697.

Cardinals-Autographs-720

Shane

edited October 25, 2022 4:00PM

Up next is an example of one of those cards that you don't really want to be forced to acquire, but you must in order to be complete. If I am going to have a HOF signature, I would much rather have it on an original card and not a card of a card. But in the late 1980s, Topps had this Turn Back The Clock thing going on. And since it is part of the base set, it is a must for my collection. So far, I have shared with you Turn Back The Clock cards of Bob Gibson and Stan Musial from 1988. Here, ladies and gentlemen, is a 1989 Topps Lou Brock TBTC featuring a 1979 card. I was able to get this card in a lot along with a Lou Brock signed baseball.

New total is 1,698.

Cardinals-Autographs-721

Shane

edited January 14, 2022 3:32PM

I've got to get caught up because I just bought a huge lot of cards that I did not have and they arrived today....87 of them to be exact. Plus, I am behind on posting a few before I even get to those.

Up next is a few that I bought from a guy on SCN that lives near St Louis that got these in person.

1979 Topps Lou Brock All Time SB Leader

1987 Topps Andy Van Slyke

1988 Topps Jack Clark

1994 Topps Mark Whiten

2005 Topps Scott Rolen Sporting News AS

2007 Topps Scott Rolen

These 6 raise the new total to 1,704.

Cardinals-Autographs-722

Shane

Wow, Shane!!! You are making some great progress on your set!!!

Congrats on all your pickups. Looking forward to seeing them.

Donato

I bet the 79 brock looks cool next to the 88

can't wait to see the haul coming

Fred