Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE: My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 2002 Topps complete!) ALBERT PUJOLS added

Comments

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome group of new pickups Shane!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 10:01AM

It's been a while since I have updated my collection. I have had these for a few weeks, but I have been busy and have not taken the time to post.

Here is a group of 21 from the 2018 Topps and Topps Update Sets.

2018 Topps Michael Wacha
    2018 Topps Aledmys Diaz
    2018 Topps Adam Wainwright
    2018 Topps Jack Flaherty
    2018 Topps Lance Lynn
    2018 Topps Randal Grichuk

2018 Topps Stephen Piscotty
    2018 Topps Jedd Gyorko
    2018 Topps Breyvic Valera
    2018 Topps Paul DeJong
    2018 Topps Luke Weaver
    2018 Topps Matt Carpenter

2018 Topps Tommy Pham
    2018 Topps Bud Norris
    2018 Topps Ryan Sherriff
    2018 Topps Update Jordan Hicks
    2018 Topps Update Marcell Ozuna
    2018 Topps Update Tyson Ross

2018 Topps Update Austin Gomber
    2018 Topps Update Yairo Munoz
    2018 Topps Update Jordan Hicks Rookie Debut

This group of 21 raises the total to 2,182.

Cardinals-Autographs-858

Cardinals-Autographs-859

Cardinals-Autographs-860

Cardinals-Autographs-861

Shane

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    It's been a while since I have updated my collection. I have had these for a few weeks, but I have been busy and have not taken the time to post.

Here is a group of 21 from the 2018 Topps and Topps Update Sets.

2018 Topps Michael Wacha
    2018 Topps Aledmys Diaz
    2018 Topps Adam Wainwright
    2018 Topps Jack Flaherty
    2018 Topps Lance Lynn
    2018 Topps Randal Grichuk

2018 Topps Stephen Piscotty
    2018 Topps Jedd Gyorko
    2018 Topps Breyvic Valera
    2018 Topps Paul DeJong
    2018 Topps Luke Weaver
    2018 Topps Matt Carpenter

2018 Topps Tommy Pham
    2018 Topps Bud Norris
    2018 Topps Ryan Sherriff
    2018 Topps Update Jordan Hicks
    2018 Topps Update Marcell Ozuna
    2018 Topps Update Tyson Ross

2018 Topps Update Austin Gomber
    2018 Topps Update Yairo Munoz
    2018 Topps Update Jordan Hicks Rookie Debut

This group of 21 raises the total to 2,182.

Cardinals-Autographs-858

Cardinals-Autographs-859

Cardinals-Autographs-860

Cardinals-Autographs-861

Still in awe!!!! Great work… thanks for sharing!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.

Here is a group of 24 from the 2019 Topps and Topps Update Set.

2019 Topps Carlos Martinez
    2019 Topps Matt Carpenter
    2019 Topps Harrison Bader
    2019 Topps Jose Martinez
    2019 Topps Paul DeJong
    2019 Topps Daniel Poncedeleon

2019 Topps Adolis Garcia
    2019 Topps Luke Weaver
    2019 Topps Jedd Gyorko
    2019 Topps Miles Mikolas
    2019 Topps Jack Flaherty
    2019 Topps Jordan Hicks

2019 Topps Dominic Leone
    2019 Topps Dexter Fowler
    2019 Topps Marcell Ozuna
    2019 Topps Michael Wacha
    2019 Topps Kolten Wong
    2019 Topps John Gant

2019 Topps Dakota Hudson
    2019 Topps Checklist Get Up! Marcell Ozuna
    2019 Topps Update Tommy Edman
    2019 Topps Update Andrew Miller
    2019 Topps Update Lane Thomas
    2019 Topps Update Paul DeJong AS

This group increases the total to 2,206.

Cardinals-Autographs-862

Cardinals-Autographs-863

Cardinals-Autographs-864

Cardinals-Autographs-865

Shane

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I've looked at your latest pickup, but you're really moving along on these Cardinals autos. Very impressive for sure.

Congrats on your latest pickups, Shane!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Incredible progress you've made lately Shane. Congrats!!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    edited July 12, 2022 4:24PM

Shane

This next posting is a TTM success that took 135 days. Mr Bill DeWitt, Jr, owner of the St Louis Cardinals was kind enough to return these. If you Google Bill DeWitt and Babe Ruth you will see a picture of Mr DeWitt as a little boy shaking hands with Babe Ruth. Bill DeWitt, Sr owned the St Louis Browns back in the day and his son followed in his footsteps as owner of the Cardinals.

He signed the first 3 on the front, but signed the rest on the back, which is not exactly ideal. The first 3 cards were 2001, 2002, and 2003 which did not show up very well due to the gloss from those sets. I think he decided to sign the back where it would show up better.

Even though I already had the first 3 team cards signed by other players (01 Shawn Dunston; 02 & 03 Kerry Robinson), I sent Mr DeWitt separate ones not being sure they would get returned.

Here is a list of what is below -

2001 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr
    2002 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr
    2003 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr
    2004 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr (on back)
    2005 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr (on back)
    2006 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr (on back)
    2007 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr (on back)
    2010 Topps Cardinals Team - Bill DeWitt, Jr (on back)

These 8 bring the total to 2,214.

Cardinals-Autographs-866

Cardinals-Autographs-867

Shane

Up next was a tough one for some reason. Here is a 1987 Topps Willie McGee. I have several of Willie, but this one has alluded me for a while. I only need one more to complete the 1987 Topps and Topps Traded Set.

The total is now 2,215.

Cardinals-Autographs-868

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭

That is unfortunate with DeWitt. It would be costlier and you may still have issues, but that is a prime example for asking for something specific (Please sign on front, for example) and even providing the pen you want used. You certainly can't count on these guys to have an array of quality autograph signing pens at the ready, although I bet a lot still do.

I like the idea of the modern team photo cards for someone like an owner, GM or other non-field personnel. I still want to send to the Dodgers and try to get as many of the co-owners as I can, but like every single other TTM project I think of, it gets procrastinated forever. I don't even know if they would sign. Ideally, I'd like to be able to email them and ask for a signed business card, since they don't have actual cards and that is a decent fallback. Logo stickers are another good one for those without cards.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Hey Shane. Are you prepping those early 2000s "glossy coated" cards before you send them? I've found some success with rubbing them with an eraser (those big pink ones like alot of us used to use in school) and the autos seem to hold on to the cards better when I do that.

I have never heard of that. I will need to keep that in mind.

Shane

Up next is a real tough one. This is a 1982 Topps Orlando Sanchez. This one came from a reputable seller on Ebay.

The new total is 2,216.

Cardinals-Autographs-869

Shane

@frankhardy said:
    Up next is a real tough one. This is a 1982 Topps Orlando Sanchez. This one came from a reputable seller on Ebay.

The new total is 2,216.

Cardinals-Autographs-869

Nice pickup there! It always intrigues me the more "obscure" names in projects like this that are the toughies. Congrats!

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, just going through all these. I still have a ton of autographs from the early/mid-80s that include a bunch of Redbirds (and Royals) that I got in person as a kid. At this point I'm not sure you'd need anything I have but I'd be happy to send them your way.

Unfortunately, they're at my parents' house. Still in the same top loaders from almost 40 years ago. I probably won't be back there until October. :/

Up next is another very tough one. Here is a 2014 Topps Yadier Molina. Back in 2007 and 2008 I was able to Yadi in Spring Training on a 2004 rookie card and a 2006 card. It has been a dry spell. He doesn't sign regular cards all that much and when they do come up for sale they are expensive. I was glad to get this one from a reputable seller on SCN.

The new total is now 2,218.

Cardinals-Autographs-871

Shane

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Even in your truly impressive and noteworthy collection, those are a couple of spectacular items.

Oscar's case is a lot like Jose Fernandez. Truly tragic.`

Those autograph stickers are indeed an incredibly fortunate pickup to add to your set.

Simply amazing!!!

Congrats, Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

edited August 9, 2022 5:45AM

Even though this next one may not be as exciting as the previous one, it is still a really tough one. Here is a 1969 Topps Bo Belinsky. Mr Belinsky passed away in 2001, so these are very scarce. I have looked for several years and finally latched on to one.

Bo Belinsky started his career with a bang. He won 6 of his first 7 starts and pitched a no-hitter in start number 4. Who knew that he dated Tina Louise and Mamie Van Doren!

Total is now 2,221.

Cardinals-Autographs-874

Shane

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 2:27AM

@frankhardy said:

Who knew that he dated Tina Louise and Mamie Van Doren!

It's a big part of his legend.

For some reason this one was a tough one for me. Of course, after I bought this one from a reputable seller on Ebay, another one was listed shortly afterward. Oh well...at least I finally got one.

This one is a 1978 Topps Butch Metzger

The deuces are wild on my total - 2,222.

Cardinals-Autographs-875

Shane

I'm just getting caught on up this thread Shane. The Taveras cards look amazing! What an amazing add to the collection. many of these stick out also as I know finding my Rookie Cup Bobby Bonds was a toughie too. Yadi...the list goes on. Amazing run here!!

Here is a fine and dandy pickup. Here is a 2014 Topps NL Wins League Leaders signed by Adam Wainwright. Also, for good measure, it is signed by Jordan Zimmermann and some guy named Clayton Kershaw. Of course, only the Waino signature adds to the count. This comes from a reputable seller who got the Wainwright in person.

The new total is 2,223.

Cardinals-Autographs-876

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

great triple signature

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Even though things have slowed down, I still have a few more coming down the pipe. Here is a 2010 Topps Update David Freese PSA/DNA. One year later he would be the 2011 World Series Game 6 hero in one of (if not THE) greatest World Series games in history! I would be glad to debate it with anyone!

The new total is now 2,224.

Cardinals-Autographs-877

Shane

edited October 1, 2022 2:54PM

Here is a recent pickup - a 1971 Topps Mike Shannon. I got this from my new source who happened to sell it on Ebay. I didn't buy it from him originally because I was waiting on a TTM from Mike Shannon. His health is not the best, so I'm not too worried about losing it.

(Edited to say that on 9/19/22 I received the aforementioned 1971 Topps Shannon TTM. I decided to put in my duplicates because the one pictured below is better quality. Mr Shannon is having some health issues and his signature lately is suffering as well and not as neat. It is, however, much appreciated. I sent it off on 10/11/21 and got it back 343 days later on 9/19/22.)

I now only need a Joe Hague to complete the 1971 set.

Total is now 2,225.

Cardinals-Autographs-878

Shane

Up next is a 2011 Topps Brendan Ryan. This came from a reputable seller from Ebay. It was lost in the mail for about 3 or 4 weeks and I thought it was gone for good. Fortunately it showed up.

New total is 2,228.

Cardinals-Autographs-882

Shane

edited September 17, 2022 3:47PM

This next one finishes my 1988 Topps set. Here is a 1988 Topps Ozzie Smith AS. Ozzie is known for sometimes signing "Ozzie" on a hurried signature. My 1987 Topps is signed the same way. I have been looking for this one for a while. Glad to get it!

If memory serves me correctly, I think I only need a 1990 Topps AS to have every Topps Ozzie Smith with the Cardinals.

This raises the total to 2,229.

Cardinals-Autographs-883

Shane

Amazing!!! So fun to look at!!!

Live long, and prosper.

great job

question: do you have a pic of the whole 88 set you can share? in the pages perhaps

well done

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:

. I now only need a 1981 Topps Traded Darrell Porter to complete the set.

New total is 2,217.

Back in the mid 1990's I sent a copy of Porter's biography to him to sign and also included this card (1981 TT)

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

@baseballfan said:
    great job

question: do you have a pic of the whole 88 set you can share? in the pages perhaps

well done

I don't have one right now. All I would have to do is snap a few pictures and post them. I will try to do that in the next few days.

Shane

@Ironmanfan said:

@frankhardy said:

. I now only need a 1981 Topps Traded Darrell Porter to complete the set.

New total is 2,217.

Back in the mid 1990's I sent a copy of Porter's biography to him to sign and also included this card (1981 TT)

IMF

Any interest in parting with it? If so shoot me a PM.

Shane

I still need to post the 1988 Topps set that @baseballfan (Fred) requested. I haven't forgot. Just haven't had time.

One of the reasons for the delay is that me and my son got back from St Louis early this morning to see the Cardinals beat the Reds and to see Albert Pujols hit a HR. It was only his 698th of his career! So glad we went!

Shane

edited September 17, 2022 3:57PM

Here is a 1968 Topps #158 Cardinals Celebrate card signed by Tim McCarver. This is from a reputable seller on Ebay.

The total is now 2,230.

Cardinals-Autographs-884

Shane

edited September 18, 2022 1:25PM

@baseballfan

Here is the 1988 Topps Complete Signed Cardinals Team Set

The order of my unsigned team sets and my signed team sets goes like this - regular base cards go first in numerical order, then manager card and/or team card, then all other misc cards like leaders, record breakers, and all star cards in numerical order, followed by the rare occasion that a player has another team uniform but labeled Cardinals (which is the case with Doug DeCinces), then lastly Traded / Update in numerical order. I am consistent like that throughout. I am kind of OCD in that way. I strive for my collection to be organized.

20220918_151050

20220918_151151

20220918_151257

Shane

Awesome adds Shane!!

wow
    that is very cool, great way to view them as well
    congrats!

Fred

Nice pickup, Shane!!!

Love the Brock auto, it's a beauty.

Donato

edited October 7, 2022 4:02PM

This was not planned. This card was next in line. However, this is the perfect opportunity to dedicate this post to the wonderful career of Albert Pujols. Hopefully, the Cardinals can make a push deep into the Post Season, but that plan got a kink in it with a loss to the Phillies in Game 1 today. With his regular season career over with, I want to give some stats and facts that will blow your mind.

Here is a snapshot of his career.

Hits - 3,384 (9th all time)
    HR - 703 (4th all time)
    RBI's - 2,218 (2nd all time)
    Extra Base Hits - 1,405 (3rd all time)
    Total Bases - 6,211 (2nd all time)
    Go Ahead HR - 263 (1st all time)
    Pitchers HR Against - 458 (1st all time)
    2x World Series Champion
    3x MVP

With all of those stats and accolades, this might be the most mind blowing thing of all. With such a focus on power hitting and high strike out rates in the last 20+ years - take in this fact....

Albert Pujols has 1,405 extra base hits......and.....1,404 strikeouts. He has less strikeouts than EXTRA base hits.

To put that in perspective -

Mike Trout - 697 extra base hits; 1,354 strikeouts (nearly twice as many SO as XBH)
    Aaron Judge - 345 extra base hits; 908 strikeouts (nearly 3 times as many SO as XBH)
    Miguel Cabrera - 1,131 extra base hits; 2,031 strikeouts (nearly twice as many SO as XBH)
    Freddie Freeman - 733 extra base hits; 1,414 strikeouts (nearly twice as many SO as XBH)
    Paul Goldschmidt - 719 extra base hits; 1,545 strikeouts (over twice as many SO as XBH)
    Manny Machado - 613 extra base hits; 1,069 strikeouts (nearly twice as many SO as XBH)

Barry Bonds - 1,440 extra base hits; 1,539 strikeouts (99 more SO as XBH)
    Mickey Mantle - 952 extra base hits; 1,710 strikeouts
    Willie Mays - 1,326 extra base hits; 1,526 strikeouts
    Alex Rodriguez - 1,275 extra base hits; 2,287 strikeouts (nearly twice as many SO as XBH)

Of course, there are a few elite players that Pujols joins that had more XBH than SO like Hank Aaron, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, etc. I don't think you will find a modern player that has such a great SO to XBH ratio.

= = =

This next card is a duplicate that will replace the one in my collection. I have no doubt about the original one, but my preference will always be one that has been authenticated. Plus, my original one is the more hurried style and this one is his standard style.

Here is a 2010 Topps Albert Pujols authenticated by JSA.

The total will not change and will remain 2,231 since this one is a duplicate.

Cardinals-Autographs-886

Shane

Nice pickup on the Pujols card, it has a nice auto. Thanks for breaking down some of his stats. I know he was a good player but looking at his stats I must admit he was a better player than I thought.

Thanks for taking the time to share some background on him.

Donato

edited October 8, 2022 8:27AM

I am making more progress toward completion....the completion that I will probably NEVER accomplish. However, it is still an enjoyable challenge. Here is a 1969 Topps Curt Flood.

The Curt Flood portion of the collection is now totally complete.

This new addition makes the total 2,232.

Cardinals-Autographs-887

Shane

Here is a surprisingly tough one for some reason. This 1995 Topps Todd Zeile was one that has alluded me for some time now. I finally snagged one.

As for the total, it will remain the same for the reason below.

Just a few minutes ago I discovered that I mistakenly counted a duplicate 1979 Topps Tom Bruno signature (multi-player rookie card). Detailed explanation is on page 5 on the post from 10/10/08. This info is really not for anybody expect me. I just like keeping track of everything. Early on I really didn't have a handle on how I wanted to do things. I am more detailed now. I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes in counting that I haven't caught yet. In the grand scheme of things, the count really doesn't matter. However, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right.

Total stays at 2,232.

Cardinals-Autographs-888

Shane

Fabulous posts Frank!!!

Thanks yet again for taking the time.

Live long, and prosper.

the Flood run is very impressive

congrats!

Fred