Home Metal Detecting

~~~~~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT III (Game Over! Prizes awarded!) ~~~~~

Comments

• OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and meditate. >>

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................
    ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................
    oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

• << <i>...humming the Jepordy music... No really Gary, take (tapping her foot) your time... image >>

>>humming<<

LOL...It kind of has a nice "RING" to it, MaryMmmmmmmmmmmm ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage

• Round 10 Targets 109-120 Results.
    Bentfork substituting for eyoung429.
    This round was dug in two parts and has quite a few pictures due to the treasures found.

Targets 109-113

Friday March 2, 2007
    Lancaster City Park
    Time 9:30 AM
    Temperature - Cold

This time out I decided to hit one of the eight ballfields at the park.

I started out in foul territory along first base side and ended up in deep center field at the end of the hunt.

Bochiman, target 109 was a Louisana Statehood quarter that lost the fight with a lawnmower. image I'll hammer it out and drop it in a soda machine.

For the next 30 minutes the hits I got were what most folks are familiar with. Pull tab, Pull tab, Pull tab, Pull tab. It never seemed to stop. But then, one of those VDIs of 24 turned out to be gold. Really!

marym, you must have luck on your side this VTH. Because target 110 was a men's 10K gold ring. It weighs 5 grams and has an eagle on the face. Also, it has a very small stone (probably not a diamond although it is clear) being held by the eagle's talon. Here's the pictures. As you can see by the hallmark it is 10K. image

walkerminus1, target 111 was a very red and rusty 1965 no mint mark nickel.

Omega, you found as target 112 a 1973-S memorial cent.

Onward and forward. My next target was near the fence in deep center field. Good stong hit, and very big in size.

DesertRat, you lucky dog, I mean rat, target 113 is a pocket knife. It's one of those red, multi-function kind with a couple of blades and scissors.

Targets 114-120

Saturday March 3, 2007
    Old Littlerock Reservoir road and surronding area
    Time 10 AM
    Temperature - Very nice 70s

I mentioned the "old road" in round 9. This is the old dirt road that was abandoned after approx 1965 and runs parallel to the current paved highway. Until 1965, it was traveled very heavily by folks going to and from the Littlerock Recreation area. It was also heavily traveled during the construction of Littlerock dam. And it was the road that took Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers to and from the city that were encamped just below the dam in the early 1930s. During the summer months I refrain from hunting this area as it is heavily infested with snakes. Yep, the poisonous kind. Not to mention scorpions and centipedes. But during the winter and after we have had rainfall, the snakes are in hyber and the ground is not like Portland cement. Over the years I have found several relics. Mostly old auto parts. But I have found silver coinage. In the last two weeks I have found two silver dimes. One of them is a Merc. The coinage I attribute to folks having to stop along the way to do a number 1. I can't count the number of steel beer cans I have found buried 5 inches down. Plus, this area in the fall is a very good area to hunt Gambil's Desert Quail. People also horseback ride around the area. In case you're wondering, no that's not frost, that's just dead tumble weeds. As you can see from the picture there are the remains of a barbed wire fence that ran on each side of the roadbed. The other picture is what is left of an old house that burned down in the 70's.

For the longest period of time I got very few sounds above the threshold on my MXT - even though I was running zero descrimination. Then I got a little bit of noise. Then it sounded like Armageddon and the machine overloaded.

dan8402, target 114 is a vintage Ford hubcap insert. I don't know how old it is, but when I nail it down I'll let you know.

Spiffy469, target 115 is an old metal button

My next find was very interesting. I'm searching along and get a hit in the penny range. I pinpointed it, and when I got a close look, I found a penny standing on edge sticking out of the ground.

SilverDreams, target 116 is a memorial cent. The date is so badly corroded I can't make out the date. Sorry.

My next hit was interesting. Shallow and it overloaded the machine too. I figured it was a beer can.

Target 117 Laserart is a L.A. County Fire Department placard or decal. I can't say what it would have been attached to other than some piece of equipment.

The next target was very interesting too. Another one of those head scratchers. At first I thought it was a pistol cartridge. It was shaped like one, but the end was sealed and around the side is a swirl pattern. Plus, there is some sort of writing on the sealed end. At this point I decided to take a lunch break and four Ibuprofen. During lunch I gave the whatzit some thought. Still didn't have a clue. So right before leaving to resume the hunt, I pulled out my magnifier to look at it. The end has written on it, "Avon Products, Inc. DISTR N.Y."

SpecialK, target 118 is a lipstick tube. I pulled it open and there are remains of lipstick inside. image

alifaxwa2, your target 119 is a ladies earring. It was very shallow and rang in as a -5 VDI. So it's probably gold plated. And it looks modern so it was probably dropped recently by a horseback rider.

The last target was a nice find. It overloaded the machine and was an easy dig.

Target 120 wazari777 is a "Southern California Auto Club" automobile badge.These were issued out years ago to auto club members and affixed to their vehicles. Cool! In the middle of the bell I believe is supposed to be the member number. Something is missing as can be seen by the two holes. It's still very cool though. If I were to guess I'd say those went out in the 50s. Replaced by a sticker now.

Edited - in the middle is probably the "AAA". Haven't got the possible date of the item yet.

Even though it's not part of this round, I thought I'd include another find. This is an old oil can I found on the way back to the house. image

Here's the big picture.

Thanks again folks for letting me dig for you. I love relic hunting.

Up next is Z Man. I bet he's got some good finds.

Later folks,

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Very nice round Gary!!!!

Marym is really hitting it big this VTH!!!!

Hubcap looks to be '53-'57...If you look in the inside lip, there should be a part number...send it to me and I can pinpoint the date and model of car for you.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Thanks Gary. Nice round.
  • Job well done ! ! ! Good wright up also.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
    Mary,
    A penny for your thoughts... about your ring?? Actually, a memorial cent...image
    Another nice round and a great write up and pics! We just had another foot of snow dumped on us yesterday so thanks for showing those nice 70 degree pics!!!
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    Gary, once again you've done an amazing job taking us through your digs! I'm loving the "come along with me" walk-through of each unearthed treasure. I agree with you, I am having some luck with my assigned targets, woo-hoo!!!!

From Omega: Marym, "A penny for your thoughts... about your ring??"
    Here's my thought Omega....Where's the man that lost the ring?? image
    Be Still and Know
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice digs, and tagalong Gary!
    Mary, I hope your luck continues when the ground thawsimage
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Great job as always Gary!
    Tim you nailed it, I am hoping this run of luck carries me into my own digging this Spring. I am long overdue to find something totally amazing! My last "oh my God" moment was almost two years ago when I found that 1828 five cent French coin. I've found several great coins in the local CoinStar machine, and I'm not sure this will make sense to anyone other than a fellow detectorist, but it's a more meaningful find when I locate them with the detector. image
    Be Still and Know
  • >> it's a more meaningful find when I locate them with the detector.<<

I agree ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Mary,

I feel as you do, that using a detector is more rewarding that eyeball finds. I truly believe the next generation of detectors will be like Doppler ground radar. You'll be able to see what's in the ground before you dig. This sort of technology already exists in some applications, but it's for forensic work. In a way it takes away from the thrill, but those dang pull tabs won't be such a pain.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Earl,
    It's going to be a little difficult finding that part number on the hubcap insert. Maybe if I soak it in penetrating oil for a couple of weeks and then sand blast it.

Here's the flip side.

Gary
    imageimageimage
    The lengths we go through to identify bits & pieces...Very worthy of the most intense archeological dig. Isn't that part of the fun?
    Be Still and Know
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    The hubcap won't be too hard.....

Can't wait to start id'ing the oil can though!!!!!!!

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • The automobile club thing looks like the license plate toppers in this eBay auction. The center reads "Good Roads".
    Bob
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Oops, almost forgot about this one!
    Great finds Gary!! You do find an amazing number of nice jewelry pieces!

Round 11 is now open, but only the first three targets (#121, #122, #123)
    Post to enter

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Zot got gold last time...I'd like a second chance at getting gold again please.

Thank you.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • May i have one?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I make it in time to enter, Zot?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• #121 goes to walkerminus1

#122 goes to wazari777

#123 goes to Bochiman.

That's it till Zot opens more targets for his round at his discretion.

Keep on the lookout!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
    Thanks GR!

Next three targets are open, #124, #125 and #126 image
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I'd be happy to get one thanks.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Count me in if possible image

forgot to add: thank you!!! image
  • Add me if possible too. Thanks.
    laserart has 124
    DesertRat has 125
    dan8402 has 126

I'll make this easy for you... the next three are now open (127, 128, 129) image
    I can't miss this, I'm ona roll!! image Thanks for the great timing Zot!
    Be Still and Know
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Count me in please. image
  • Can I get in?
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
    #127 is marym
    #128 is Dockwalliper
    #129 is SilverDreams

OK, last three slots are open!
  • I'll take one please.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    I'll take one.

Thanks
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • how about me boss?

gotta get in on the Zot gold image
    ROUND 11 IS CLOSED!
    VTH3 round 11
    Digger: Zot
    Date: January 27, 2007
    Detector: White’s MXT

RRRIINGG….
    Argh! What’s this noise pulling Zot from his sleep so early on Saturday morning? A fire alarm? … Sitting up in bed, I slowly realize what’s going on. Aha! It’s the telephone!

Reaching over, I pick it up and manage a sleepy “Zot”.

“Good morning Mr. Zot, this is your wake-up call.”, says the cheery voice at the other end.

“Thank you”.

*groan*

We’re in Dublin, Ireland, where I’ll be spending the next couple on months.
    But before I go out, I check the latest posts on the board. Bentfork has just completed the second half of round 3, and has continued the string of silver being found…

First, I’ll show a few pictures of Dublin and its surroundings – unrelated to detecting:
    St. Stephen’s Green, a nice little park in the heart of the city.

Grafton Street, a popular shopping street

Trinity College, Ireland’s oldest university (est. 1592). The Book of Kells is kept here. They have an amazing old library here as well.

A fascinating tree

Some amusing shop/bar names…

Hats off for this Great Man… one of my absolute favorite guitarists!

Unfortunately, the detecting laws here are absolutely brutal (much, much worse than in the UK, for example). Had it not been for my second VTH3 round, I wouldn’t even have bothered taking my detector with me. Detecting is basically banned, also on private property.

I’ve considered writing an application for permission to detect in selected areas (which would be assigned to me as feasible, e.g. upcoming construction sites), and where I would be handing over all of my finds.

Given the construction activity around Dublin, with the ground getting dug up, and whatever is buried there being destroyed, it should be possible to craft a proposition that’s very easy to say “yes” to. Then again, there doesn’t appear to be much trust between archeologists and detectorists here, so I most likely won’t bother, and will take a break instead until June/July comes along and I’m back in Finland.

I went out once, found some innocent piles of dirt from road works outside the city that would soon have been shipped off as trash, and dug my round there. The following pictures are taken during my day out, though unfortunately not of the “site” itself, as my batteries had completely given up by then.

It was a beautiful morning. But, as always is the case here, things can change very quickly. I ended up getting the full menu – all four seasons in a day, alternating sunshine and pouring rain (and I mean really pouring, and coming sideways due to the wind), and even a brief hailstorm.

The finds:

Target 121 (walkerminus1): A British Penny, 1921.

Target 122 (wazari777): An Irish 2 pence, 1976.

Target 123 (Bochiman): An Irish penny, 1974.

Target 124 (laserart): An Irish 1/2 penny, 1971.

Target 125 (DesertRat): An Irish halfpenny, 1964.

Target 126 (dan8402): A key.

Target 127 (marym): An Irish shilling, 1968.

Target 128 (Dockwalliper): A ring.

Target 129 (SilverDreams) A cufflink

Target 130 (tjkampis): A British silver (0.500) threepence, 1938.

Target 131 (alifaxwa2): A gold colored token. This one got my blood pumping for a moment!...

Target 132 (Riccar): A button.

Summary pic:

Next up, the mighty Phut!
  • Thanks Zot!
    I like the "wake up" shot ("breakfast of champions" imageimage )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Nice finds, pics and story Zotimage I'll miss seeing your 'adventures in Europe' posts while you're on break.
    I'll start the final round in about ten hours.
    Very nice round! It is still snowing here!!! 5 below zero this morning. Geez, you would think I bought a detector this past Fall!!!
  • WTG Zot! image I love the pictures and the finds. One of these days I'll make it to Ireland.

Is that a design of some sort on the ring, or is that corrosion?

So you like Rory Gallagher? That's great. I have been a follower of his since he started recording. I saw him perform at a small club in Dallas, TX after Against the Grain came out. It was either late 75 or early 76. Anyway, he blew the house down! He's at the top with Thorogood and the Destroyers in my book. Maybe that's why I'm near deaf.

If that's Guinness, ship about five of those kegs to my house. image

Gary
    imageimageimage
    I got a ring!

Probably belonged to an Irish King!, Or Prince!, or Garbage collector.

<< <i>I got a ring!

Probably belonged to an Irish King!, Or Prince!, or Garbage collector. >>

It belonged to Lord Valdemort image

• Lol....I stopped trying anymore...
    The time difference is way too much.

Entries Open at like 1:20 AM KW time.

Anyways!
    Maybe I could try to get into the last round just for fun...

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
    Good luck!
    All it takes is 1 good one! image

Zot, wonderful dialog and very interesting finds! Maybe someday I can travel abroad and dig coins as interesting as the ones you find. Of course I'd need many bottles of little white pills...I'm terrified of flying. image Thank you for another great round!
    Be Still and Know
    Final round!!
    I'll only have two hoops this round, and they will be simple enough for us to end VTH3 by tomorrow night.

Target 133:
    How many stinkin' Lincolns(US 1 cent) does it take to fill a 1 gallon plastic milk jug?
    I filled one last week and gave it to my niece to put in her savings.
    One guess per person.
    Closest over or under gets the target.

Target 134: Open to the first person to claim it.

Target 135: Open to the first person to claim it.

Target 136: Open to the first person to claim it.

(If you are the closest on 133 and you claim one of the other targets, you will have the option to choose either.
    If you choose 133, the claimed target will be put back in action.
    If you decide not to take 133, the next closest will get that target.)

• << <i>Final round!!
    I'll only have two hoops this round, and they will be simple enough for us to end VTH3 by tomorrow night.

Target 133:
    How many stinkin' Lincolns(US 1 cent) does it take to fill a 1 gallon plastic milk jug?
    I filled one last week and gave it to my niece to put in her savings.
    One guess per person.
    Closest over or under gets the target.

Target 134: Open to the first person to claim it.

Target 135: Open to the first person to claim it.

Target 136: Open to the first person to claim it.

(If you are the closest on 133 and you claim one of the other targets, you will have the option to choose either.
    If you choose 133, the claimed target will be put back in action.
    If you decide not to take 133, the next closest will get that target.) >>

It takes 2,649 Lincolns to fill that gallon jug, and I would prefer number 134 but I don't really care...unless of course the winning find is one of the other targets, then I want that one.

Thanks.

Rob
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
    4,444 is my guess or I'll just take 135. image
  • 3847 is my guess