Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I propose a new numismatic term...

Organic!

As I asked across the street: Whatdya think???

Comments

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Fairly Traded" Organic !!!!image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    does that mean enviromental damage?
    or a coin with old dirt on it, as in not cleaned, original?
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it means a dug coin - one that has been in the ground so long it has gone organic.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think Organic means Original, crust , toned
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    A new numismatic term? Hmmmm........... okay.
    You know, "Organic" doesn't really do anything coiny, that I can see.
    How about "Coinorganite", used when referring to a crappy coin?
    You know, like "Milorganite", the fertilizer Milwaukee makes from their sewage.

Ray
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Cool, a coin that's good for you to eat.image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I would submit that it is not enough to merely propose a new numismatic term without also proposing a definition. What do you suggest it would mean, numismatically speaking?
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,
    You mean like the stuff that I so regularly (thank you fiber) give back to nature ???

imageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    As if there isn't enough coin terminology now. Organic would indicate a coin made of a HydroCarbon. Actually a decent term for the plastic Mill Tax Tokens used back in the 30's and 40's.
    Carl
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    In the world of search engines, organic means the real search results as opposed to the paid search results. Thus, in numismatics, it might mean a coin that hasn't been manipulated in any way.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i,ve heard of foreign merchants putting faked ancients in goat feed so they come out
    looking old,crusty,and toned for the hapless tourists to buy as the real deal.
    i,d call those `organic ancients` lol
  • Options

<< <i>In the world of search engines, organic means the real search results as opposed to the paid search results. Thus, in numismatics, it might mean a coin that hasn't been manipulated in any way.

Russ, NCNE >>

I think that's what I'm trying to get at. I really cannot define the term by myself. My feeling is that it's a fitting term for such coins, but also encompasses those 'naturally toned' coins that occured over years in things such as whitman folders and kraft envelopes.

Actually, I think you can judge the stability of the patina on the basis of compiling many factors on a coin that makes it appear the patination occured 'naturally', as opposed to being forced, cooked, branded with chemiques that radically alter surfaces, accelerated reactions that are less likely stable and not as appealing. Though, on the surface, many of the 'market acceptable' (definition by the TPGS never to be released in any form of verbiage) might look like they could pass for 'organic' just because their toning is exciting and doesn't shout FAKE.

It's like the difference between Organic and Inorganic chemistry. And NO, John, now your intestinal byproduct of vegetable metabolism. You can't digest cellulose anyway, so that's kind of messy...OK?

But I'd say that most of Johns coins appear to me to be organic, and Slumlords coins the most organic, if that makes any sense.

I displayed three of my own coins for critique from most organic/most worshipful to least organic/least worshipful, across the street, but I'm too tired to work on that here tonight.

I appreciate any input because I think it can pull together a lot of 'stuff'.

• Options
    Organic, fertilized with plenty of BS.
  • Options

<< <i>Organic, fertilized with plenty of BS. >>

You're probably right.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Very, very limited opportunity to use the term unless you were with the coin for all of its existence IMO.

Hey, that kinda applies to NT and AT. image

Joe. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin is a POS, does that make it organic?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If a coin is a POS, does that make it organic? >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this be just another hoax put upon the masses like organic food? Or 'first strike'? Unless it is truly meaningful, and will improve the hobby, then I see no need for it. People buy organic food 'because it is supposed to be good'... not because they understand it or even know if the food is truly organic, but they pay the extra money. Just like the 'low carb' craze - glad that is over too. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file