Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Are You a Numismatic Dandy?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Please vote for which type of collector best represents yourself.

A. “The Numismatic Dandy”: The Numismatic Dandy is a highly polished individual, who seeks not only the best coins, but only those coins offered by the best dealers. The Dandy believes that a dealer provenance is just as important as a collector provenance related to a coin. The Dandy looks with scorn upon coins purchased from dealers or websites that the commoners frequent, such as Ebay or Teletrade. The Numismatic Dandy only collects coins of the classic series, and would not be caught dead even looking at a modern coin at a show. He dresses impeccably at coin shows, and does not care that both dealers and other collectors know that he only purchases the best, and does not want to be bothered with other collectors of lesser status. While The Dandy is relatively confident in his abilities, he secures the advice of the best advisors related to his collecting, and believes that the numismatic world revolves around him. Here is a picture of the typical Numismatic Dandy:

B. “The Throwback Collector”: The Throwback Collector longs for a bygone time in numismatics. He refuses to acknowledge the existence of the Third Party Grading services, and the sight of plastic slabs makes him sick. If the Throwback Collector had his way, coin collectors would know how to grade themselves, would not be dependant on a dealer to judge eye appeal, and would be able to avoid the temptation to collect the series that is hot at any particular time. He remembers a time when numismatics was a gentleman’s pursuit, and when you were able to make all of the purchases for your collection at the monthly VFW Hall coin show. The Throwback Collector does not like the “new dealers” who may possess marketing savvy, rather than deep numismatic knowledge. He does not use the Internet to make any purchases. Here is a picture of the typical Throwback Collector:

C. “The Professor”: The Professor is a very studious individual, who views the coins as a means to the end of discovering new information in the science of numismatics. The Professor does not typically care about the quality of the coins that he purchases, so long as they present a newly discovered die state, a nice example of a particular die break, or a variety that has not been identified by the leading researchers of the day. He may or may not have a very deep collection in terms of number of pieces, but the coins themselves represent varieties that are very seldom seen (or recognized) by the collecting masses. The Professor does not mind sharing his knowledge, but looks with a jaundiced eye toward those collectors who are slaves to the sheets and continually analyze the population reports. Here is a picture of the typical Professor:

D. “The Collector Who Is a Dealer Wannabe”: The Collector Who Is a Dealer Wannabe is a hybrid animal. He is a collector at heart, but he longs to be a numismatic dealer. He is enamored by the sexy lifestyle of traveling first class, staying at the best accommodations, eating at the fanciest restaurants in the country, and rubbing elbows with multimillionaire collectors and people of society. The Collector/Dealer Wannabe sometimes forgets which role he plays at particular times during a coin show. He likes to get preferential treatment on the buy side at shows because he is a dealer, but he does not want to be held to a higher standard when he is reselling to a regular collector. The Collector/Dealer Wannabe is always torn between collecting for pleasure and collecting for profit. At a show, he is usually miserable due to this dichotomy. He tends to complain a lot on the Internet message boards. Here is a picture of the typical Collector/Dealer Wannabe:

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Great post. But I cant say that i fall into any of these categories. I guess I would like to be a dandy sometime in the future, but one can only dream...
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd vote for a blend of characteristics from more than one category.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    SOmewhere between A & C. a dandy professor.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough choices.

I'm mostly C, but not as anal.
    I'm a touch A, but not as pretentious.
    I'm a touch B, but more realistic and practical.
    There's a fraction of D in me, in the sense that everything I buy will eventually be resold by someone, so getting good value is part of the collecting strategy.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Clever post, but I'm just a guy who collects coins for their beauty and history.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    None of the above.........
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Longacre,I am just an old Deadhead who still digs the colors,and your sig line.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that Twodogs? image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SOmewhere between A & C. a dandy professor.

Most of us do not strictly fall into any of these categories, but hilarious post. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clever post, but I'm just a guy who collects coins for their beauty and history. >>

Me too!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd vote for a blend of characteristics from more than one category. >>

I agree , 2 and 4
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Longacre - You're hilarious! image

I figure I'm 10% Dandy, 10% Throwback, 50% Professor, 30% Collector/Dealer.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    The collector who does not want to be a dealer would best desrcribe me.
  • Options

That was a good one! I think you could come up with more catagories. A hoarder and a registry fanatic come to mind. Of course I don't have any funny graphics or witty descriptions. Great stuff!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool post, very creative image

I'd say of the options given "C" best fits me but there are many differences. I guess I'm a distant cousin to a "C".
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    One of the "Top 5" post's so far this yearimage I'm still cracking up as I write. I'm a little of each and also some of what Carl W. added.

Great Job.image
  • Options
    I'm basically a Throwback Collector, but being a computer geek I am glad to have the Internet and ebayteletradeheritage.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like some modern coins, (Commemoratives and Proof sets) but I’d never pay a huge premium for one because it’s one point higher than the finest graded. I much prefer nice looking (PR-68 or 69) modern coins in their original mint packages to the same coins in slabs. In fact I even made an effort years ago to find all of the 1950 to 1955 Proof sets in boxes.

The source does not matter to me UNLESS I’ve had a bad experience with a certain dealer. If you screw on purpose or try to screw me I’m done with you. I only see a couple of the larger dealers at the shows. Usually I deal with the medium sized firms that don’t have “an attitude.” Some of the big companies have too much overhead relative their sales, you have to pay for that. To me the previous owner of a coin, can be important, but I don’t go out of my way to buy pedigreed coins. Previous sellers don’t mean a thing to me. As soon as the invoice is drawn and the money has changed hands, who sold the coin becomes less and less important over time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I am a mix of B (20%) and C (80%).
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little bit of everything except option "A"

Excellent post.....image

Ken
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick B and C together and you have me to a T
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    None of the above. I'm a dumpster diver.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Where's the "none of the above" category?
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    I guess like most others I am a combination of two... maybe a bit of each. c because I tend to analyze things which drives my wife nuts as In staring at a coin through a loop for long periods of time only to pic it up again later (I tend to be over enthusiastic at times). and the d side of me, always looking for the perfect coin..... to sell of course...lol (as long as it does not fit in my type set)

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Like most of us here, I see myself as as a melding of more than one catagory. Perhaps I'm kidding myself, but I believe I am roughly equal parts B and C with about 10% Dandy thrown in. I investigated D but found it didn't suit my psyche.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Non of above but--That DORKARL sure has grown his hair long!!! image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Wow, if these were the only meals on the menu, I'd go hungry.

<< <i>collects coins for their beauty and history. >>

That's me.

<< <i>glad to have the Internet and ebayteletradeheritage. >>

That's me.

<< <i>None of the above. I'm a dumpster diver. >>

OK, so I wouldn't go totally hungry.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Nope, no Numismatic Dandy here.....................................at times though my wrist's do go limp, should I be concerned???

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too funny. The pictures are priceless image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    All of the threads today about wig-wearing slave-owning people from the 16th century reminded me of this Longacre Classic™ thread. Perhaps the new members of these boards would like to vote?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    This was a great thread when it came out in the summer!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I would have to say that I am mostly the last choice: collector/dealer wannabe

Although, I am slightly skinnier than Barney image

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL.

Mostly 3 I guess, but a bit of 2 and 4.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the best posts yet by Mr. Longacre! It's up there with taking the kids and the Mrs. to the coin show and furniture store!image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please vote for which type of collector best represents yourself.

B. “The Throwback Collector”: The Throwback Collector longs for a bygone time in numismatics. He refuses to acknowledge the existence of the Third Party Grading services, and the sight of plastic slabs makes him sick. If the Throwback Collector had his way, coin collectors would know how to grade themselves, would not be dependant on a dealer to judge eye appeal, and would be able to avoid the temptation to collect the series that is hot at any particular time. He remembers a time when numismatics was a gentleman’s pursuit, and when you were able to make all of the purchases for your collection at the monthly VFW Hall coin show. The Throwback Collector does not like the “new dealers” who may possess marketing savvy, rather than deep numismatic knowledge. He does not use the Internet to make any purchases. Here is a picture of the typical Throwback Collector:

image >>

Well, I will buy slabs but I then crack them out. And I do think they are bad for coin collecting and will celebrate the deaths of the slabbing companies. (Obviously,authentication services will pop up and remain.) I don't care what a slab grade is; hell, I'm getting pretty darn close to just rejecting numerical grading as a whole. The series I collect are generally obscure. However, I like big coin shows compared to small ones, and grew up with the various Baltimore shows, going to my first one in 1987-88ish, when I'd be about 10 or 11. I do prefer dealers who actually know something about the coins. I have however used the internet to buy coins, but rarely (Heritage auctions and email bids to PCAC). I much prefer to make my purchases in person, where I can make a calm, relaxed decision as to if I want it or not.

<< <i>C. “The Professor”: The Professor is a very studious individual, who views the coins as a means to the end of discovering new information in the science of numismatics. The Professor does not typically care about the quality of the coins that he purchases, so long as they present a newly discovered die state, a nice example of a particular die break, or a variety that has not been identified by the leading researchers of the day. He may or may not have a very deep collection in terms of number of pieces, but the coins themselves represent varieties that are very seldom seen (or recognized) by the collecting masses. The Professor does not mind sharing his knowledge, but looks with a jaundiced eye toward those collectors who are slaves to the sheets and continually analyze the population reports. Here is a picture of the typical Professor:

image >>

Well, I can tell you that this private restrike was struck using an 1804-dated die, and not a reworked 1807 die. I know that M. 56-n would refer to a New Jersey copper while M. 56-xx would refer to a 1787 Connecticut copper. I can attribute at least half of early early gold die varieties by memory, and at least 80% of half cents by memory. I do care about the quality of my coins, though I think that condition (as the EAC understanding) is more important than grade, and definately follow "buy the best you can afford and understand" which means my half cents are typically VG-VF depending on the series, with somes G's and some EF's. I am also more interested in the die states they possess than their grades. I just love half cents with cuds. I knew of the new variety of the 1797 half eagle in the SI before Coin World reported it, and also that the 1828/7 half eagle had two varieties, one of which is unique, before it was widely reported. I can tell you that the 1836 proof quarter eagle that Heritage is auctioning has been worked on, and apparently is McCloskey's variety F. I have even made up somes notes based on the outlines in the Bass II catalog fleshing out the attributions of classic head quarter eagles, even though I don't collect them. I do sometimes look down upon the people who have been around for a while but whose knowledge is not any deeper than being able to recite pop reports and price guides, coupled with perhaps a "folk belief" of the comparative worth of the major grading services. (Interestingly, their recitations of the pop reports and price guides seem to always be done in a way to back up their folk beliefs. Not that I'm drawing any cultural analogies here. Or maybe I should....) However, I generally don't verbalize such thoughts that often.

So, I'm certainly a combination of B & C.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    Excellent Post!

I am a B
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm not really any of these also.

I think it's neat to have perfect coins from awesome collections, but then again, I don't really relate to any of the categories.

For one, I buy my coins in a variety of ways. Almost all the coins I buy are raw, I'm a fairly young collector at the age of 18 (13 years of collecting), I don't care much about newly discovered varieites that 98/100 people cant see, and I don't care to be a dealer. I still think it's cool to strike mutual friendships with interesting characters in numismatics, but I don't care if they have $1 in their pocket or $100,000.

It's the one collector with the most passion that I enjoy being with. The person with the stories of their greatest find, that's who I'm a wannabe for.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'll take a little bit of each.

Great post and awesome pics.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the collector who just collects coins that he likes using whatever venue he finds them at and in whatever holder (or raw) they are found? He studies up on the series he likes, and has type coins in the "hot" series, and in the sleepers. He likes Gold, Classic and even modern proofs.

What about the collector who doesn't give two sh#ts for the stuffy numismatic dandy or the throwback collector and their artificial interpretations of what collecting "ought" to be? The post was pretty funny I have to admit.

Tyler
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I wannabe a wannabe.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    here is an action figure numismatic dandy---------------------->Text-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Excellent Threadimage!

I'm an aspiring Dandy...although in order to be a true "dandy" money cannot be an issue. Only if I was so lucky!

I've thought about the wannabe persona, but have a difficult time selling nice pieces that I've aqcuired!
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think of myself as a professor, but more and more I'm a thowback.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    E ) none of the above . image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More Perfesser than anything else.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    image I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around. I'd hate to see what happens when the Collector/Dealer Wannabe crosses paths with The Processor.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say I'm a hybrid too. 10% Dandy, 45% Throwback, 25% Professor, 20% Wannabe
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    None of the above!

But I guess I would be closest to the collector wannabe, though I have no asperations of becoming a dealer!
    I only sell those coins I am able to upgrade from!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not fit any of those categories... I am a collector, no preference for slabs vs. raw, have never sold a coin, do not aspire for 'best in class' coins... I just collect and enjoy. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file