Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't buy dipped gold

This weekend I was at a local coin show in St. Louis. Saw a $10 Liberty, slabbed NGC MS63, with nice original surfaces, in a dealer's case. Asked if I could see it.

The answer: "No. I just bought that one. I'm going to crack it and brighten it up and get it graded 64."

He seemed pretty sure that he could get the grade, and I wouldn't be surprised it he did, because some TPGs do seem to reward the bright dipped coins. And he wouldn't be doing it if there weren't collectors lined up to buy those shiny coins.

Pretty soon there won't be many gold coins with original surfaces left.

If you're buying gold--take the time to educate yourself a bit. Don't reward the dippers.

To put it another way... gold coins are like women. The shiny ones might attract you at first, but they get boring really quickly. The ones with originality are the ones you go back to again and again and never get tired of. image

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This weekend I was at a local coin show in St. Louis.

Damn! There was a local coin show in St. Louis this weekend? image

Saw a $10 Liberty, slabbed NGC MS63, with nice original surfaces, in a dealer's case. Asked if I could see it.

The answer: "No. I just bought that one. I'm going to crack it and brighten it up and get it graded 64."

There is a cottage industry of dipping and puttying MS gold to get it into higher grade holders. apparently, the best risk-reward is taking baggy MS-62 $20 Libs and making them into MS-64's. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you totally, but sadly the market does not.

I've sent intotally original gold coins with very few marks with the expectation that I would get an MS-63 or 64, only to find I got an MS-62. image When I asked dealers why this all I got, they told me, "The coins are not bright enough."

Therefore dip the original coin - make it brighter - get a higher grade - get more registry points OR get more money for it.

Under these conditions many original coins are doomed. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Original coins are doomed. I overheard one dealer at a regional show talking to another dealer-- Dealer 1 said to Dealer 2, "give me that AU coin. I will give it a little spritzin' and will turn it into an MS". My virgin ears could not believe what they just heard.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    TrinkettsTrinketts Posts: 1,699
    Hey JW... long time no see....

It really saddens me to see and hear the things going on... I've just recently gotten into buying and selling a good bit and yes I do flip some coins, but I would never in my most desperate hour do this to such a wonderful piece of history. Now I don't see any problem removing haze from a more recent coin, but what is happening with gold is a damn shame.
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that this is very frequently done with true AU-58 Carson City minted $20 Gold Liberties because of the huge price spread between AU & Mint State 62 coins.
    Also, many AU-58's are more eye-appealing with fewer contact marks than low end mint state examples.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

<< <i>take the time to educate yourself a bit. >>

Therein lies the problem. Most people have educated themselves enough to know that MS-64 equals more dollars than MS-62, whether it is original or not.

Most people can only READ the numbers printed on the plastic. If you crack the coin out, they are completely lost.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find many who could tell the difference between original and those brightened.

Their understanding ends with the grade assigned.
    Always talkative, but trying to learn....Amanda
  • Options
    I've had four early copper coins body bagged for "improper cleaning," and I've had one early silver coin get the same raspberry. OK fair enough

Yet when I look a early gold, about EVERY piece I see these days has had its original skin stripped off of it. Yet the coin is in the holder has no deductions or "net grading" for the fact that it has been stripped.

Are gold coins exempt from the cleaning rules? I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Here is a before and after of the SAME coin.

Before NGC AU-50

After: PCGS AU-58

I might call this getting rewarded for committing a crime. imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Damn! I love that quarter eagle (pre-processing). I could kill myself over what they did to that coin.
  • Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    The 58 looks like a POS! image

Who buys junk like that and why? If someone is dropping thousands for a coin you would think they have some idea of what they are buying?

My suggestion is not to buy from dealers who sell dipped gold coins. Just like those who sell ACG, NTC, etc.
  • Options
    Bill, that's a vivid example of the crime of dipping. Thanks for posting it.

I confess that I bought a couple of dipped $10s when I first started collecting the series a few years ago, before I knew what I was doing. They are absolutely the most boring coins in my set... flat, uniformly bright appearance, with no character at all. I'll be getting rid of them and continuing the hunt for original coins.

This is where coin clubs and shows have helped me. Collectors need to get out and learn from other collectors and honest dealers.
  • Options
    So, uh, to follow your advice, I should never wash my car? Good deal. I like mine original. Upholstery is all oringal too. That stench? That's the eggs I broke on the way home from the grocery store 3 years ago.

LOL!

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    One of the great regrets I have was that I could not buy that 1796 quarter eagle or sell it to my best customer BEFORE it was raped. But I did not have $85,000, and I could not get my customer to spend a couple thousand more than that. If I had offered it to him at no profit, he still would not have bought it.

It's a shame, but some of these high prices knock the people who really love and respect these coins out of the market while the "long, stupid money" ruins national treasures.

The grading services should be ashamed of themselves for aiding an abetting this practice.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted a similar comparison, only w/an 1850-C Half Eagle (aka How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Charlotte Half Eagle)...
    Before and after... simply appalling.

the 'dude

PCGS EF-45
    imageimage

NGC AU-50

imageimage
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, they reward the same thing re Bust $s that they are doing with gold.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>I posted a similar comparison, only w/an 1850-C Half Eagle (aka How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Charlotte Half Eagle)...

the 'dude

PCGS EF-45
    imageimage

NGC AU-50

imageimage >>

• Options

<< <i>Bill, they reward the same thing re Bust $s that they are doing with gold. >>

Dealers have been cleaning Bust Dollars for years. Back when I purchased my very first one in 1970, nearly every peice you saw was dipped white. I don't know if what you are seeing is recent an "ancient" cleaning.

I do know that someone posted a link to an ebay offering in which a dipped white 1799 dollar was in an NGC MS-65 holder. The thing looked more like a silver round than an early dollar. image
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    On the subject of cleaning coins...

I dipped several coins when I started collecting and realized that it was a bit too harsh on the metal.

I have found a product called Coin Care that is a light oil with a weak solvent. (the solvent evaporates)

This seems to work well on all coins. It will remove dirt, oils, green mold and tar/resin that appears on
    some coins. It does not seem to affect toning on coppers, I haven't tried it on many clads, silver or gold.

It also (supposedly) protects coins from further oxidization and pitting.

Has anyone else tried this product? What is everyone's opinion on the subject of cleaning coins?
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Yea, people have been using the original "CARE" for years. The stuff acts as a perservative for copper coins.

The trouble is they don't make CARE any more, and the bottles that are left can sell for $100. The modern version is called Blue Ribbon.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    <<Don't buy dipped gold>>

I won't buy 'dipped' anything, except maybe an ice cream cone.imageimageimage

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent examples of exactly how dipping has had a negative impact on gold coins... Originality needs to be rewarded and an original surfaces designation is a reasonable approach to describe the true state of a coin's condition. The sad reality is how more original coins will loose their status because of greed and the view in the marketplace regarding the grade on the holder instead of the quality of the coin itself. In terms of recognizing and promoting the importance of original coins, this hobby has truly become its own worst enemy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    So what do you dip them in??
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Ah, the TPG games revisited. My advice is to buy all the nice original coins you can get your hands on. Some day they will be worth a huge premium. Yeah, some day...
  • Options
    What's the problem with dipping a gold coin back to it's original mint surfaces? image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    "The 58 looks like a POS!"

But, it's still a rare and desirable POS, IMHO.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I posted a similar comparison, only w/an 1850-C Half Eagle (aka How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Charlotte Half Eagle)...

the 'dude

PCGS EF-45
    imageimage

NGC AU-50

imageimage >>

image >>

I second that frown. Too bad someone would do that to such a great coin.image
  • Options

<< <i>I've had four early copper coins body bagged for "improper cleaning," and I've had one early silver coin get the same raspberry. OK fair enough

Yet when I look a early gold, about EVERY piece I see these days has had its original skin stripped off of it. Yet the coin is in the holder has no deductions or "net grading" for the fact that it has been stripped.

Are gold coins exempt from the cleaning rules? I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Here is a before and after of the SAME coin.

Before NGC AU-50

After: PCGS AU-58

I might call this getting rewarded for committing a crime. imageimage >>

Its like ruining a piece of US history. And I agree this should be a crime.image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The difference in the photos of the 1796 coin is mostly due to the lighting. The first picture
    was made with diffuse lighting to flatter the coin, and the second photo was made with
    harsh lighting which makes the coin look horrible.

A slightly acid detergent such as Jewel-Luster does not "strip the skin off" a gold coin, nor does
    it "rape" the coin, etc.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The difference in the photos of the 1796 coin is mostly due to the lighting. The first picture
    was made with diffuse lighting to flatter the coin, and the second photo was made with
    harsh lighting which makes the coin look horrible.

A slightly acid detergent such as Jewel-Luster does not "strip the skin off" a gold coin, nor does
    it "rape" the coin, etc. >>

imageThe pics were taken under two different lighting modes and there can't be a fair comparison between the before and after pics. Show me the after pic under a diffused lighting situation for a fair comparison.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I could not disagree more.

I saw this coin in person before and after, and I took the pictures. I had the coin on consignment for a week when it was in the NGC holder and had plenty of time to look at it. These pictures are a fair representation of the coin is both conditions. I was shocked when I saw this coin the second time. That's telling it like it is PERIOD.

When the coin was in the NGC holder, it had the slightly dull orange color that an old gold coin has that has spent a lot of time in an envelope and out of circulation. The second time around it was very bright with flashy surfaces that people seem to want these days. There were also many hairlines, which indicated that the surfaces had been stripped of their old patina.
  • Options
    BJ's 1796 QE and its ordeal is a good example of PCGS being the culprit. Everyone around here seems to believe that this is strictly an NCS/NGC issue.

Edit: Anybody wanna dip my (new) icon coin for me? image
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is by no means alleviated from guilt for slabbing scrubbed & stripped coins, but I think all would agree that NGC is by far a bigger culprit than PCGS. image
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    I agree that the NGC – NCS duo is FAR more responsible for stripping coins that PCGS. NGC – NCS is in the business of “restoring” and then grading coins, and so they encourage the practice. PCGS only sin is that they seem to encourage the cleaning of coins because it appears they give out higher grades for bright and shiny, even when the bright and shiny got there by less than original means.

I see two big problems with the treatments that NCS gives coins.

First, the one gold coin I had done (it was a 1925-D quarter eagle that had a really ugly copper spot) came back shining like a brass button. Nevertheless it went into an NGC holder, and I was able to sell the coin to another dealer at the whole price. I would not have sold that coin to one of my collector customers.

Second, gold coins that have the “process” done to them don’t necessarily stay fixed. The underlying problem with copper stains on gold is that the “vein” of improperly mixed copper that is under the surface is still there. In a year or so there is a good chance that it will appear. I’ve seen that on a couple coins, and others here have noted the same problems on Buffalo nickels that have gotten the NCS treatment.

A couple years ago I sent in a rare, high grade Civil War to for grading at NGC. The token came back in an MS-66, R&B holder. It also had a sticky on it that said it could be “improved” by a trip to NCS. Let’s see. It’s an original token that graded MS-66, R&B, and it could be improved to what, MS-66, Red? image I think NOT. The sticky went to the trash where it belonged, and I sold the token.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Dip.

Oops. I mean...

Bump.
  • Options
    <<Don't buy dipped gold>>

No CRAP?

Who the hell let the cat out of the bag?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't buy dipped gold...

...unless you plan to re-tone it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thread... thanks for doing the Lazarus thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file