Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Philosophy behind the buying of AU-58 grade coins

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
This can be a most pleasing grade if one follows
a few common sense rules:

1. I find that PCGS generally has the nicest AU-58s
This is not absolute, but generally.

2. A number of the better AU-58s have already been upgraded.

3. If you want the top of the line AU-58s, then you will have
to go over the Gray Sheet up to MS-60 or even 62. Might be worth it
as these PQ 58s are often nicer looking then the average 62s

4. While I depend on PCGS to the seperate the really doggy 58s, one must develope your
own standards as to what you expect and desire in PQ 58s.

5. In a down market, grading always tightens up, because buyers will demand more quality from a given grade.
Stick with PQ coins for the grade, and they will hold up grade wise in a down market.

6. If your instincts give you an immediate warning about something about the coin,
then think twice before buying it. No matter how favorable the price or hyped the sellers accolades,
what you see that bothers you will still be there for the new buyer when you eventually sell the coin.

7. Buying a AU-58 coin it is a lot like a woman buying a dress. They generally know immediately, if the dress really
looks good on them. If they have to think about it too much, then they generally return the dress within a few days.
On a 58, you either like it immediately or its probably a good thing to pass.

Hope these tips are helpfull to the newbies out there.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Good thoughts. I've also found that ICG (yes, ICG) has a lot of very nice 58s as well, though they are probably succumbing to crackouts at a very rapid rate.

And yes, if you're buying 58s for AU money, particularly in auction, you're almost certainly not getting the PQ, "true" 58s. The very nicest of the bunch often sell for somewhere between 61 and 63 money.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't you apply many of your suggestions to ANY grade and not just AU58?

jom
  • Options

<< <i>Couldn't you apply many of your suggestions to ANY grade and not just AU58? >>

You can, but I think AU-58 can be a special case because when properly graded, many people value it more highly than accurately graded coins with a *higher* numerical designation (hence so much market grading of AU coins as MS).

In other words, many people would value a properly graded AU-58 higher than a properly graded MS-60, but none would value a properly graded VF-35 more highly than a properly graded EF-40. That creates a rather unique market condition that doesn't apply quite so much with any other grade designation.
  • Options
    The PQ AU-58 grade is rather a most

unusual grade indeed. In general

appearence, it almost rivals the MS-64.

When it comes to luster, strike and overall niceness

it looks as good as most 64s with only the

slightest wear on the highest points. I have found that almost

all MS-60 thru MS-63 coins tend to be bow wows. They are lacking

in their toning, luster and strike. Also, while they may not have the

technical wear, the do have plenty or marks on the devices and fields.

Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear-
    this is a great topic. I find that you can find nice MS62s with great luster if you don't mind some hits. Here's one:$5 gold
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    I wouldnt be suprised if that beauty didn't start out

as a PQ AU-58. Its just lovely , especially for a 62 and

is rather unusual quality in that grade. You have a good eye and did well

selecting that coin.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Nice point Bear...

This ones an ICG AU58 and I can gurantee it puts most 62s to shame. Most of the 63s I've seen as well have large..distracting bag marks.

This coin is mark free..cept for some light rub on the eagle and Liberty's hair...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Formerly PCGS AU58, now PCGS MS62: (Edit- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than my pic shows)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting thread .........image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are two PCGS AU58's:

1828 Small Wide Date. Pop: 1, 1 finer

1834 Large stars, large date, medium letters (Rarity 5) Pop 1, 2 finer

• Options
    AU58WALKERSAU58WALKERS Posts: 3,562
    I have nothing to say.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    And you say it very well.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I agree and you can look at todays online auction at Heritage for Indian half eagles. Many are approaching MS62 money.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darin's monster looking 1878 seated half AU58 brought a resounding $650 or so this weekend. Looked closer to MS63 than an AU. And it brought over MS63 money.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Just posted this in another thread, but thought it appropriate here image

Look at what Laura's doing with the AU58 CBHDs... it may not be her doing this, but her client could be. If you take every AU58 you get, you crack it out, and resubmit it, you're likely to get a few that slip by. What's the price jump of an AU58 CBHD to an MS62 CBHD? Is it worth the risk... maybe, maybe not... but to make money, you gotta take some amount of risk image And also, what's the chances you might find a scarcer die marriage that has slipped by as a type coin for years? Now you might have yourself an R.5 in AU58 (That might still make a 62 holder) that you bought for common money... yeah, they're probally going to find some dogs along the way that they'll take a hit on, but I think in the long run, they'll probally end up in the black...

-George
    42/92
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just posted this in another thread, but thought it appropriate here image

Look at what Laura's doing with the AU58 CBHDs... it may not be her doing this, but her client could be. If you take every AU58 you get, you crack it out, and resubmit it, you're likely to get a few that slip by. What's the price jump of an AU58 CBHD to an MS62 CBHD? Is it worth the risk... maybe, maybe not... but to make money, you gotta take some amount of risk image And also, what's the chances you might find a scarcer die marriage that has slipped by as a type coin for years? Now you might have yourself an R.5 in AU58 (That might still make a 62 holder) that you bought for common money... yeah, they're probally going to find some dogs along the way that they'll take a hit on, but I think in the long run, they'll probally end up in the black... >>

Even better, at this stage they can grade themselves and cherry pick the ones that might upgrade. This will save thousands in submission costs.
  • Options
    Yes, when Laura takes the lead in something, people call her mad.

However, more times then not, she is as mad, as the clever fox.image

She knows the nich for profit, when she sees it. By her efforts alone,

I think we are seeing a major uplift in pricing within the TBH series

about to accelerate. Get em now people, before they are to the moon.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>Yes, when Laura takes the lead in something, people call her mad.

However, more times then not, she is as mad, as the clever fox.image

She knows the nich for profit, when she sees it. By her efforts alone,

I think we are seeing a major uplift in pricing within the TBH series

about to accelerate. Get em now people, before they are to the moon. >>

She is creating a big demand for them certainly, and she is definately good at what she does, catering to the higher end collector. However, it seems she has already had a tough time getting these in any large quantites. Hardcore collectors are gonna realize that true gem AU58s are tough to come by, especially at AU58 prices. People will sell to her; people that are changing collecting interests, or need to liquidate for something else, that type of deal. But, I think a lot of the collectors of AU58 CBHDs recognize how tough these coins are to find, and aren't going to let go of them without being offered stupid money. I think stman could attest to that, as this is specifically the coins he collectors image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Here is a good example of what you are talking about. Link Check out the price paid for this AU58.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    Well, without telling tales out of school, Laura is further along

than I would of thought possible in this difficult series. You show her

a top of the line 58 and I suspect, that

she will offer a top of the line payment.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In other words, many people would value a properly graded AU-58 higher than a properly graded MS-60, but none would value a properly graded VF-35 more highly than a properly graded EF-40. That creates a rather unique market condition that doesn't apply quite so much with any other grade designation. >>

Well, I know that but I still think what Bear said can be applied to other grades as well. Example:

"2. A number of the better AU-58s have already been upgraded."

Could I not say MS63 instead of AU58 in that statement? Of course you can. image

Some comments on Bear's list:

On #2: You don't see anywhere near as many of these nice AU58s as you did about 10 years ago. For the most part the coins have been upgraded.

"3. If you want the top of the line AU-58s, then you will have
    to go over the Gray Sheet up to MS-60 or even 62. Might be worth it
    as these PQ 58s are often nicer looking then the average 62s

I think the confusion with grading is that our numerical systems inherently implies that "the bigger number means nicer" which simply is NOT the case all of the time. There are PQ MS63 that are every bit as nice as MS65's. I see it enough and eventually these coins will upgrade because there is a demand (from both seller and buyer) that the label ultimately ends up matching the value of the coin ("MS65 money" etc etc).

Nice list, Bear. image

jom
  • Options
    Jom, your observation is indeed correct. Opportunities

do exist in all grades, however, I felt that this particular

grade of AU-58 offered the most opportunities for a nice coin

at a reasonable price. I guess its all how one uses perspective

to view a situation.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Get em now people, before they are to the moon. >>

Bear, you should know they are already to the moon. Which is why some of us have dropped out of the CBH in AU-58. Anybody that has been active in this market knows the prices have gotten out of hand. Sure the dealers will say they are too cheap and raise the prices on them. Many collectors have wised up as of late. And anybody that sells to your dealer of choice her quoted buy prices is a flat out fool. In my opinion of course.

Besides, most 58's these days are 55 anyway. And on down the line. Yes, PCGS too. (sorry, not thirsty for any Kool-aid now or neverimage)
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, when Laura takes the lead in something, people call her mad. >>

What lead? Because she wanted 500 pieces at low-ball offers? (in my opinion once again) fact is the interest and the prices have been rising way before this offer was made. In fact, I sold most of mine way before this. Y'all have fun out there trying to follow the "Leader." Heh

• Options
    Easssyyyy big fella. I am not gonna

say you are wrong. I am just a little bear

holding a couple of colorful balloons.image

While I really dont care for Kool-Aid, I wouldnt

mind a large glass of grape juice.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    It's all good Bear. I just wanted to pop one of them there balloons.image
  • Options
    Probably putting together a set of AU-58 CBHs is now out of range

of most average folks, but we can still collect a few nice specimens

for show and tell.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>a lot of the collectors of AU58 CBHDs recognize how tough these coins are to find, and aren't going to let go of them without being offered stupid money. I think stman could attest to that, as this is specifically the coins he collectors >>

I understand what you mean.... but for accuracy on my part of it, I've sold some for very fair prices IMO. Actually some much less than I could have got for them. I liked where I placed them, and I believe the buyers were happy as well.

Edit, with the exception of one piece I liked where I placed them.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Actually some much less than I could have got for them. I liked where I placed them, and I believe the buyers were happy as well. >>

And that my friends should be what it's all about. Enjoy them while ya got em, then let the next collector enjoy it for a fair price. Can't go wrong with that philosophy. Good on ya!image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Some of the prettiest coins I've seen are 58s. Some are so nice that they have fooled many a collector.

Personally, I recall going into a shop some years ago and having bought 2 coins I thought that what turned out to be a 58 was the nicer of the two. The other came back 65. Go figure!

I agree that many are much nicer than MS 61, 62 and some 63s.

Good thread Bear. image
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good points being made here..............and some points, nonsense imo.
    Choice AU58 CBH's are far and few between considering the millions minted.
    Remember these 50C pieces saw more circulation in their time than any other denomination.
    As far as pricing, these have FINALLY got the recognition they deserve. Some of the older
    collectors of the halves have seen a HUGE price increase for these over the past few years.
    They now choose to sit on the sidelines in hopes the will come down.......they might, they might not.
    I personally don't think they will be getting any cheaper, for chioce AU58's
    Again...........recognition. Many of the dates are easily obtainable in AU58 with patience,
    BUT many of these dates are just plain impossible to find nice. And when they are,
    the collectors are paying good money for them. There are PLENTY of DOGS out there,
    but when ya find a nice one, you will pay a premium to have it.
    Here is a good example of an AU58 coin I bought, and paid good money for it.
    This coin has MOOSE luster, color, and a great strike for an 1809.
    Of the measly 46 1809 PCGS AU58 (+/-) CBH's out there, I bet you wont find a nicer one.
    I knew it when I saw it and paid a premium for it. Did I pay too much??
    Hell no. The fact is... I have been offered over 2k for the coin from 2 different sources,
    BUT where & when will I find an equal. My point is...........IF you happen to trip over an absolute choice AU58 CBH,
    don't live in the past, buy it, cause it's probably worth it. If you don't, there's someone standing in line behind you.
    Supply and demand is everything with anything.
    So all you collectors complaining about price/moon money being paid, and how these are overpriced,
    common coins that collectors are collecting with their wallets...........................FIRE AWAY

imageimage
  • Options
    I have found, in this particular thread, that there is a beneficial

compounding of knowledge and experience, from a number of people.

It is never a matter of right or wrong, it is the search for numismatic truth,

that gives enlightenment to the members of the Forum. Well done people,

well done indeed. I believe that I have gotten more out of it then I put in.

Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Some good points being made here..............and some points, nonsense imo.
    Choice AU58 CBH's are far and few between considering the millions minted.
    Remember these 50C pieces saw more circulation in their time than any other denomination. >>

Yep. It may surprise people who never see half dollars used in circulation, but in the 19th century, the half dollar was essentially the $20 bill of commerce.
  • Options

<< <i>and some points, nonsense imo. >>

Absolutely! IMO
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread Bear. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres another one:
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since Bear has posted...when did he pass? It seems like it would have been 2011 or 2012.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    It's been a while since Bear has posted...when did he pass? It seems like it would have been 2011 or 2012.

It says he was last active November 4, 2011 :'(

Trade $'s
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

Good memory, @TomB.....November 2011.

Past thread by @shylock for reference.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/903540/in-memory-of-bears-passing-one-day-late

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh Bear. The good ol days

For me, a nice MS67 with a little wear is an AU58

and a baggy MS62 with a little wear is also an AU58

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the old bear is enjoying high-grade jelly donuts in the great beyond.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bear could make sense out of chaos. Miss him greatly.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also miss Bear. He was a good one!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jelly donuts were often found in scarce supply in every town he visited.

He always was a positive force here. I remember when many thought he was being taken advantage of by dealers when he was on a buying binge near the end of his life.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bear was great. It has been a while since he left us, but it doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    LazybonesLazybones Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the jelly donut loving old Bear.

USAF (Ret) 1974 - 1994 - The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. Remembering RickO, a brother in arms.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I miss Bear too, he always had good outlook on just about everything.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file