Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: STATE QUARTER COLLECTORS – ENTHUSIASM CHECK

I just got a P and D Nevada in change and wondered if others still have as much interest in collecting the series. Is the spark still there, has it become a chore or even a bore?

If you collect State Quarters are you as enthusiastic now as you were when you first started or has your enthusiasm waned?
GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really ever get the things in change anymore for whatever reason, so I said it was a chore, because I have to go to the coin store and purchase the coins that way.....

Would not be collecting the quarters otherwise if they where not state quarters.....

State Quarters was the spark that got me into coin collecting however so.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still search them to put together sets of P and D mints for the kids.
  • Options
    I am hooked. I go through 3-4 bags of each P&D to submit what I want for my set. I have a slabbed complete set of
    MS & Proofs + album with the same.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I hate moderns so I refuse any/all change.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I only collect them at face value, so it's becoming a real chore.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still enjoy collecting the new SQs from both circulation and the mint.

I think it has been a great program, it's fun, has pulled a lot of people into the hobby (both good and bad)

It gives me something rather inexpensive to look forward to on a regular basis.
  • Options
    I collect them from pocket change and keep them in a cardboard album. I live on the east coast, so I have just about all the P's. I'm only missing Alabama, which I still have not found !!! Gives me a fun reason to search through my change. The D's are tougher ... I'm starting to see more D's from 1999-2001, but the more recent D's I generally only find when I travel. Of course I realize I could buy any of them relatively cheaply at any coin show, but that defeats the purpose. That would be "cheating" for me !!!

I find this pursuit to be fun, and it is a nice balance to my other collecting habits of building world-class Registry sets and the like.

One thing though, I still prefer classical designs in most cases. I like many of the state quarter reverses, but I hate the debased alloy in which today's coins are struck, the inadequate detailing and relief on some issues, and the artistic and technical laziness inherent in many of the glib designs. While looking through pocket change, and seeing the new jefferson nickels, I am reminded of the old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to." Some issues lack a sense of proportion, and have unduly small devices lost in large open fields. A comparison of the traditional "Buffalo" nickel reverse with the Kansas quarter reverse illustrates this point.

Sunnywood
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Found my first Nevada quarter last week. My son found his first this morning.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your choices didn’t fit my exact feelings toward state quarters, but I did pick the second on since it came the closest.

I have never been a huge state quarter fan. I enjoy them to the extent that I collect the Proof sets every year, both clad and silver, but beyond that I don’t do anything with them. I don’t have a set of Washington quarters. During 45+ years as a collector, the Washington quarter is the ONLY modern issue that I have never collected. The reason is that I never found the coin attractive.

Some of the state quarters are attractive IMO, and I think that this year’s designs might be the best group so far. Still I’m not “ga-ga” over state quarters, but I am looking forward to adding to my stack of state quarter Proof sets. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My enthusiasm is still building. But then much of what I find appealing about these
    coins is their ability to circulate and draw attention to the coins in circulation. The de-
    signs are about what I expected and might be just a little better except for the num-
    erous state outlines. Mintages are significantly higher. It looks like the lowest annual
    production will be over two billion coins which is double the replacement rate for the
    eagle reverse's attrition. It's getting to the point that it's a rarity to see a nice AU
    eagle reverse coin.

It's fun to watch these coins mix in with the quarters already in circulation and begin
    wearing out. There are already about 40% of circulating quarters and it's still climb-
    ing. By the end of the program there will be 100 different of them and at least nine
    or ten varieties to watch for.

Perhaps equally exciting is contemplating the new quarter at the end of the program.
    Will it be an entirely new coin to begin the process of getting Liberty back on the coins
    or just a rehashing of the same old design?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would guess rehashing of old designs just like the Jefferson Nickel.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stopped collecting them and gotten rid of the ones I had.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    It’s not for me, but the "kids". image

Actually, my oldest has taken an interest and has really kept the couple of books we have going. Although, I still look through all the change I get to see if it fills any holes we have or upgrades any of the existing ones we have. Normally the P's we get are in a poorer condition then the D's.

- There are 10 kinds of people in this world...those who understand binary and those who don't!
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I look thru my change and compare the nice ones I find to the one I have to put in my album(1 set). In my part of the country it's hard to find a D mint that's not banged up.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I don't think I was every enthusiastic about them, but I still am building my PCGS Registry Proof set

PLUS I put all the ones I find in circulation in my ceramic Monkey bank
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I voted option #6.
  • Options
    Don't collect shiny disks at all.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    I'm commited to finishing a PD circulation set and also get the silver proofs each year. But thats it---it's hard to find Ps where I live--have never come across an Illinois, Maine or Missouri P in change to date--still checking. Hope they stop the program in 2008--don't want to see DC or the territories included. Will never even start the presidential dollars.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955

<< <i>Don't collect shiny disks at all. >>

Don't tell me you buy the colorized after-market ones. image

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    meh.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still looking for the MS66 in PCGS plastic have the whole set so far. Two of us are tied at #42 with the 66 grade.
    When the Satins come out will be looking for them in MS68+ for my Washington complete set.
    Please check out my sets below.

Syl's MS66 State Quarters

Syl's Washingtons. - 3rd Finest Set of All Time

In addition I also have all the mint and proof sets for those years. But I sold my PCGS registery set of Quarters.
    So I guess I am still a enthusist.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kids and I search for them for our folders as we get change. I haven't bought rolls of quarters from the bank yet to try and expedite the process, and as a result, we are missing some.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My wife always gets a P and D MS of each to stuff into a folder.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of enjoy finding a nice enough one at face value and pushing it into my album with my thumbs.

I kind of feel sorry for people paying tens of dollars for an expensive paper grading opinion and plastic holder for modern coins with mintages that run in the hundreds of millions; I think these coins will be commonly available forever and think resale values will be way down in a few years.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I look foreward to the end of the series soon .It will will be a classic set in any way collectable. A graded set in many grades from the TPG will be highly prized when all is said and done..........................JMHO..................................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>I look foreward to the end of the series soon >>

I agree...I can't wait either...its been a long ride and the end is near.
    Ken

My first post...updated with pics

I collect mostly moderns and I'm currently working on a US type set.

• Options

<< <i>I kind of enjoy finding a nice enough one at face value and pushing it into my album with my thumbs.

I kind of feel sorry for people paying tens of dollars for an expensive paper grading opinion and plastic holder for modern coins with mintages that run in the hundreds of millions; I think these coins will be commonly available forever and think resale values will be way down in a few years. >>

If it's nice enough for you and it's OK to push them into a board then more power to you. At $2.50
    per year it won't break you and you don't have to worry about losing a lot of money even if the dollar
    crashes and civilization comes to an end.

But you might consider that even with the dramatic increase in silver prices that it still cost far more
    to grade a bust half or even a bust dollar than the value of the metal in the coin. I'd bet that if coin
    values tank you'd lose far more than just the value of the grading and the metal.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i> I kind of enjoy finding a nice enough one at face value and pushing it into my album with my thumbs.

image >>

There's just something about the look and feel of the SQ's in a folder or album that I like. My daughter's P and D Dansco album is starting to feel the way a coin album should - heavy.

Has Nebraska been released to the banks yet?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I kind of enjoy finding a nice enough one at face value and pushing it into my album with my thumbs.

image >>

There's just something about the look and feel of the SQ's in a folder or album that I like. My daughter's P and D Dansco album is starting to feel the way a coin album should - heavy.

Has Nebraska been released to the banks yet? >>

I have a set of these in blue Whitman folders as well. All of them are the finest
    example I can find in circulation. Since I'm in Indiana both mints appear here as
    nice uncs and the collection is complete with most of the coins a mice MS-63 or 64.
    There are a few gems and some of the early issues are only MS-61 or 62. I've found
    none of the varieties yet. The coins are carefully put in the folders even though they
    are unlikely to have much value in the foreseeable future.

I also keep a close eye on pocket change and will try to chase gems back to the
    source if I see them. So far the only gems I've seen have been untraceable. This
    may be because so many banks are releasing small numbers of coins. By the time
    you get there they're gone anyway. These may require a whole new strategy of
    just looking at huge numbers of coins.

Whatever it takes to find them, more power to the searchers and collectors of these
    coins. It's always a lot of fun and it can be very profitable if you're the only one to
    find or have one of the rare issues.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<"This may be because so many banks are releasing small numbers of coins. By the time
    you get there they're gone anyway. These may require a whole new strategy of
    just looking at huge numbers of coins.">>

I still collect them but not seriously. As they come out here I can get the D minted coins by the wagonload. I'm just thankful that I didn't make any more long term trading commitments than I already have.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the later SHQs less interesting since the Mint started selecting the designs. I find the earlier SHQ designs that were selected by the states through voting and lobbying to have a much more interesting history. I like the story behind the design image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I confess image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be something a little more romantic with the earlier issues and the 13 Original Colonies.

As new states were added, and new quarters released, there seems to be less of a special quality about them.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find the later SHQs less interesting since the Mint started selecting the designs. I find the earlier SHQ designs that were selected by the states through voting and lobbying to have a much more interesting history. I like the story behind the design image >>

Interesting. The latest quarter is the Montana quarter and I voted for the design (not the winning one, but it was a public vote that determined the winning design).
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I find the later SHQs less interesting since the Mint started selecting the designs. I find the earlier SHQ designs that were selected by the states through voting and lobbying to have a much more interesting history. I like the story behind the design image >>

Interesting. The latest quarter is the Montana quarter and I voted for the design (not the winning one, but it was a public vote that determined the winning design). >>

That would be cool if I'm wrong. I'm actually just going by an article I read a while back.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect them specifically, but have the mint proof, unc. and silver sets for each year (full coin sets - not SQ's alone). Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>That would be cool if I'm wrong. I'm actually just going by an article I read a while back. >>

The states used to submit the actual design and the mint would have
    their artists render it in the most coinable form while trying to stay true
    to the submitted drawing.

Now the states simply submit the desired design in words and the mint
    draws it.

There's likely not a lot of difference in practice.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I think I'm getting more enthusiastic as we get down to the last few states.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That would be cool if I'm wrong. I'm actually just going by an article I read a while back. >>

The states used to submit the actual design and the mint would have
    their artists render it in the most coinable form while trying to stay true
    to the submitted drawing.

Now the states simply submit the desired design in words and the mint
    draws it.

There's likely not a lot of difference in practice. >>

That difference is actually very important to me because part of what I love about the SHQs is the process and history of people choosing designs, governors approving and submitting designs and the interaction between the governors and the Mint. The history is just a lot richer than a submission of words.

It's all about the history and story right? Just my 2 cents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file