Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 1917 Buffalos, too close to call. Help!

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
If you were to hang on to one of these and sell the other, which would stay with you?
The first gets higher marks for strike I think, the second has more impressive, booming luster.
Break the tie! (And toss out grades if you're of a mind)
Coin #1
imageimage

Coin #2
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would I do? I'd sell both and go look for one with some nice original toning. But that's just me. image

jom
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 is the keeper ... no question in my mind ... looks like it has a little skin and the strike is quite superior ... #2, well looks like #2

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    #1 based on the pics. Both are well struck, but #1 is really hammered. However it is difficult to see luster from your photos...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Thanks fellows. No. 2 is so bright my camera goes wacky even with low light on it. The surfaces gleam and really throw light. No. 1 is much flatter--more original looking in a way, but not remotely as reflective.
    P.S. One day, through sheer osmosis, I'm going to learn to describe a coin as a serious collector would!
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    Absolutely no doubt about it - the first one. One of the common characteristics of superbly struck early buffs is that their luster can be subdued. The first coin is a monster for strike. I love it.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    100% the first one, no question whatsoever. The first one has an great strike and signs of a nice light toning on the obverse. If this is for a type set I would say the first also.

Grades are similar. The second might get knocked down 1 for strike. I would go 67 for the first and 66 for the second.
  • Options
    I would agree that #1 has a better strke, but I find the flatness over the buffalo's thigh and the hair a bit concerning. It is very hard to tell from photo's, but I would be worried that the coin could be AU58, rather than MS64-65.

Coin #2 has a weaker strike as evident on the obverse around the date and the hair, however it has absolutely no evidence of wear. If it has great eye apeal, it may well be my 1st choice. I think the strike will keep it to MS63-64.

They are both nice looking coins. Even if #1 is AU58, I can see why some people would like it better, but if that is even a touch of wear, it would not command the $$ of coin #2.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1. A full strike and an earlier die state.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 has a better obverse strike. It's my choice.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I like #1 much better.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Keep #1.

Joe.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Keep No. 1. Upon close inspection the strike is much deeper. Ggreat detail in the Indian's hair and on the buffalo fur.
  • Options
    #1, but because I personally hate weak strikes.

That's why I think a well struck, gem New Orleans Morgan is a treasure!!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    #1 by far

but I wouldnt kick either one out of my collection image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    #1 all the way!!!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now own the first coin pictured above. Got it off of ebay. It is the nicest 17-p I have ever seen. Almost makes you think it was a proof. Have never sween a 17p struck like that. Except for the two matte proof 1917 nickels slabbed by SEGS. My vote would be for the first coin!! BUFFNIXX.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    #1......the date looks better
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    details much sharper on number one, better strike no doubt. Sell number two or just send it to coindexter
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guy.. sell me number 1.. oh, you don't have it anymore... number 2 has better cheek on the obverse, but all other details are less than number one... the reverse on number two shows far more wear... so, I would take number one.... if you had it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KEEP THEM BOTH!!!! BUFFNIXX
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    This is the 1917 I have at present, though it too is up for sale. NGC MS66. Fantastic coin, though that other 1917 is definitely much stronger in the date, central obverse..
    imageimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Coin #1 is a much better struck coin . I think it may have something to do with the railroad rim / broadstrike. These coins are usually better defined. However, coin #1 looks to have some light circulation and muted / poor luster. Probably a nice AU-58 example . Overall I think coin #2 is the better coin in plastic for your money, Booming luster and the strike I would say is average. I would guess this coin to be MS-64.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    It'd be NO QUESTION for me. I'd keep coin number one.

-David

Edited to add: I replied with the above statement before reading any of the other replying posts.
  • Options
    Keep 'em both! (you knew I'd say that)image

What a tough choice! I really like the incredible luster on #2, but the strike and overall quality of #1 might pull the higher grade.

Did I mention you should keep them both?

Ah... keep the coin with the most character, which I suppose is #1 due to strike and the bit of original patina.

By the way, at the rate you keep finding more nice buffs, your gonna get the 'you suck' awardimage
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The strike on #1 is clearly superior and I like the little bit of color it has, but if I had to choose between them, I'd say that I would prefer #2. The mark on the cheek of #1 would continue to bug me, as would the marks on the front and rear leg on its reverse. I also like the luster on #2. The not so slight rim ding at 1:00 on #2 would have to be compared in hand to the three slight dings 10:00, 11:00 and just past 12:00 on #1, but I think that I'd be happier long-term with #2.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like no.2 better
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else who asked I'd say #1 but you've shown so many truly superb
    buffalos that you might be better off looking for a third example. The first
    one isn't much improvable for strike but I bet you can do better on luster.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Just to remind, I started this thread last March. How Buffnixx found it and resuscitated it is beyond me.image
  • Options
    Buffnixx here -- this was easy to find. I just put in the word "buffalo" under the advanced search function and it brought back all the threads that had the word buffalo in it. I was very surprised to see a photo of my 1917 nickel that I got off of ebay last year. The coin really has a "hammered" look and for all the world looks like some kind of a special striking. I have looked thru the heritage archives and none of the many 1917 nickels slabbed by ngc or pcgs can hold a candle to this coin as far as obverse detail. Also this coin does not have the typical cartwheet lustre that you would expect, like the second coin pictured has. It is soft and satiny with a fine grained matte look. BUFFNIXX
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1...it's not even close. Much better strike.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Also this coin does not have the typical cartwheet lustre that you would expect, like the second coin pictured has. It is soft and satiny with a fine grained matte look. BUFFNIXX >>

OK then, I want to change my answer. image

A coin doesn't have to have the typical kink of luster to be highly desirable
    and as Hoot said luster is often subdued on these early buffs anyway. I'll
    go with #1.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    "Jom" said neither was desierable, he'd dump them both and get one with original toning. I thought that was a little harsh, but it shows to go you how differently people look at coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file