Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1988 Donruss Set Building

I know this sounds Crazy but I'm going to build an 88 Donruss set in PSA 8 or better. I’ve bought some off eBay. It was the first cards I started to collect when I was 8 years old back in 1988. I finally took the plunge and signed up to the collector’s club 2yr membership and I’m going to send in my first 12. :-) I bought a few boxes and a rack pack case off eBay to get started. I've always collected BGS before I signed up for PSA. Of the cards I’ve submitted to Beckett (only 6 from a box of 86 donruss purchased on EBay) two came back 9's and Four came back 9.5's. So I try to select the best before sending them in. My goal of this post is to learn how to judge my 88 donruss cards before I send for grading based on PSA Standards. I've been told that BGS is a little harder for higher grades because the sub grades. Like their 9.5 is the same as PSA 10????? I know this will be a huge task, but that’s why I’ve signed up with PSA. Seems to me the Registry has 100x the participation of other grading companies. So your help will be much need. I'll try to scan the 12 I’m sending off if I can get my scanner to work. LOL Please post your scans of the 88 donruss in your collections.

Also if anyone has some 88's in 8’s, 9's or 10's they want to unload for a fair price let me know. My email is JMS318@HOTMAIL.COM

Thanks,
Joe
88 Donruss - 1st All Time Finest Set
Don Sutton Basic Set - 3rd All Time

Looking for 88 Donruss PSA 9 or Higher
Looking for Sutton's PSA 7 or Higher

Comments

• Options
    If you are serious I got a #153 Wade Boggs PSA 9 and a #34 Roberto Alomar RC PSA8, both with no qualifiers. You can have them for nothing just PM me. The only thing with this set I don't think you will ever recoup your investment but on the other hand you probably will have the nuber one set.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. I think you will probably have the only one in the world. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, though.

Shane

• Options
    Thanks Pittfan
    I'm leaving for town to pick me up another scanner since it appears mine is broke. When I get back I’ll PM you. The reason I'm building this set is for the memories of when I started collecting cards. Anything else will be for profit. LOL

Joe

• Options
    Good Luck with the set. Here is scan of what PSA 10's look like.

Wax and factory set versions
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I say Go For It! Get some friends to do it too--it may be the only chance I ever have of selling those 3-4 Wax boxes I so "Wisely" stashed away back in 1988. I'm sure I'm the only one with those rare unopened packs left--so watch for me at the Antiques Roadshow (circa 2058)image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    my friend has a SKID full of boxes from this set. pm me if you are interested in quantity. matrix
  • Options
    Folks you'll have to forgive me for being so new to this. How do you PM? Is there anything I have to setup?
    Oh hooking up the scanner to get some images for ya.
    :-)
    Thanks Joe

• Options
    Ok I figured it out. LOL
    Thanks,
    Joe

• Options
    Ok here is some of the DK's I'm thinking of sending in.

Joe

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Good luck Joe! People knock modern cards/sets, but some of us associate memories to these cards as well. It's that idea that is the heart of the registry.

Not everyone had a Mickey Mantle in the bike spokes story, and unfortunately, we were spent our childhood/early adulthood collecting in the "mass produced " era. It doesn't mean that we don't like these sets any less.
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Good luck Joe! I am one of the crazy people doing a modern set as well. I'm slowly working on the 1984 Topps set. It was my favorite as a kid because I was a huge Mattingly fan. It'll be another of those sets that will be a money losing project. I've actually been selling the PSA 10's to pay for the set as I go. I'm actually about even maybe a little behind when netting the cost of the cards grading, ect. with the sales of 10's. It's taking a lot longer that way though.

Have fun with your new project!

• Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    I was just thining...I wonder what a PSA 10 Greg Jefferies rookie would have gone for back in 1988 if PSA was as big back then as it is now?? Pulling that card from a pack felt like winning the lottery back in the day.
  • Options
    Yeah that and Gary Thurman and Mackey Sasser image
    ok here is the pics again Does anyone have a advice on how to post great images?

• Options
    I have a complete "Leaf" version of the set in a binder. Have had it in there since I was 12.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    Here is the First card i bought for the set. It the DOC!!!!!!! I grew a Braves fan an when he came town I watched the Doc pitch tuff against us ever time. So I started collecting his cards. Figured he'd be the next big thing. Hade a good career all in all but no Greg Maddux or John Smoltz.imageimage

• Options
    Thanks all for your Replies. Pittfan I can't seem to send you PM. ????

OK here is a scan of another nice card to my collection.
    The next photo is the Bonds cards I'm thinking of sending in. Can some one give me a ruff idea what they would grade?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    imageimage

• Options
    Joe, my email it texasco@aol.com

Ken
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good luck Joe! I am one of the crazy people doing a modern set as well. I'm slowly working on the 1984 Topps set. It was my favorite as a kid because I was a huge Mattingly fan. It'll be another of those sets that will be a money losing project. I've actually been selling the PSA 10's to pay for the set as I go. I'm actually about even maybe a little behind when netting the cost of the cards grading, ect. with the sales of 10's. It's taking a lot longer that way though.

Have fun with your new project! >>

Me too and I still can not catch up to you.image

Stingray
  • Options
    Hi ALL,

Is any of my pictures showing up on my posts?
    If not what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Joe

• Options
    COLLECTING THE 88 DONRUSS SET . . . GRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>COLLECTING THE 88 DONRUSS SET . . . GRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Alright Vintage snob, get off your high horse.image

Stingray
  • Options
    Thanks Stingray,
    Not all of us grew up when the MAYFLOWER LANDED!! LOL
    I think the players from the Late 80's where some of the best.
    Also look at the bright side unopend stuff is cheap.image
    Joe

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    JMS-

That sounds like it will be a really fun project. For a set like that though, grading fees will kill you, even on specials @ $5 a card. It might be a good idea to email Roger Rumsey (ebay seller 4 sharp corners) and see what he has available. He will probably be able to hook you up with a ton of them for less than it would cost you to grade each card, most likely $3 or $4 each.

And if you want a TRUE master set, keep in mind that there are 2 versions of each card. Notice the border pattern on the Puckett PSA 10s. If you have 2 of the same card, one from wax and one from a factory set, the borders will be flipped and the reverses will each face a different direction.

Have fun!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'd build this set raw going through dozens of each card until you find the cards you want. Then when you are complete chat up DSL, 4SC or some big dealers who may let you piggy back a 600+ card submission on one of their orders for a rate just above what they pay. It may get you the lowest price per card graded that way.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Mudflap and Sagard. I know this will be a great task to complete and all this help is wonderful. Does anyone have Roger Rumsey (ebay seller 4 sharp corners) Contact Information. I have about 50 cards to submit that I think will be 9's or 10's based on my experience with BGS. I have two raw sets in binders but allot of commons has centering challenges. LOL All the cards I’ve collected have been pulls from wax and rack packs. I didn’t know they where different from the Factory. Interesting. image
    I'm building this set for the fun so I dont need all 10's. I just want all my Braves Cards to be Gem mint. Thanks again for all the posts and keep them coming.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man just my 2 cents here (if its worth even that much) but have you really thought this through? The set is enormous and plentifull even to this day, I understand that it has personal memmories to you and I respect that but why go through the trouble getting it graded? I can relate to this a bit as I wanted to start a 1990 Score football set graded and after thinking it through I thought that it would much easier to manage (space wise) and cheaper to assemble it in a binder, the cards are much easier to view and who cares if you dont have the "perfect example" of your favorite card? I just think you might drive yourself crazy over time (and lighten your wallet as well).

Have you thought about getting maybe your favorite players cards graded from rookie card on up? this might be just as rewarding to you and would be fun as well. Anyways like I said Im not knocking your idea just throwing in my 2 cents. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    This is the hobby version of watching a friend stumble out of a bar in the wee hours, car keys in hand. Don't do it, dude!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to admit that since starting the 88 fleer basketball set my 84 Topps set is looking a little less appealing. Way to big is the biggest issue. Have some seriuos thinking to do, would it be more fun and obtainable to do smaller sized sets????? What to do, what to do?

Stingray
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    JMS-

You might also want to get in touch with a user on here named DownGoesFrazier. He's building pristine ungraded sets of 1986, 1987, and 1988 Topps. He can probably give you some insight into doing a set like this before you get too invested in it.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Stingray,
    Not all of us grew up when the MAYFLOWER LANDED!! LOL
    I think the players from the Late 80's where some of the best.
    Also look at the bright side unopend stuff is cheap.image
    Joe >>

Joe, you collect what YOU want. I had people telling me how much of a idiot I was for collecting my 1978 Topps set in graded fashion. You will ALWAYS run into those who think they know what is best for someone else. Collect what YOU want !

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Quite a feat. Good luck. I do have to add though that I was 10 in 1988, and even then that set was not considered desireable. Score and Topps was the winner in my town. I have a binder somewhere of the "Leaf" version of the set that I picked up around 1990. I think I traded a 86 Topps Mattingly for it. I dont mean to knock your desire to collect it, you might be a genious for doing so as I dont think there will be many others for at least a little while.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the posts. I have tons of informationt to take in.

So can any one tell me what they think of these Bond's cards.
    Are the worth sending in. Any ruff Guesses on what the'll Grade???????

Joe

P.S. Does everyone see the cards ok?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the guys that said go for it.

Good luck

Steve

edited to add: I would try and do the set raw first, and then submit for grading a few at a time to see if I had the eye for 10's. 9 should be the lowest you should go for.

I assume money is no object here and the fun you will have is worth the grading fees?

Good for you.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Hey - it's only money and if it floats your boat, go for it! Investment-wise it won't make sense and never will but for the fun of chasing it - I can guarantee you'll have a blast.

The man who first blazed the 1984D trail is sadly no longer with us, but he was an inspiration for me to finally pull the trigger - and I've never looked back.

I think a large part of the fun in this instance could be going where no one has gone before. If you jump seriously into this set, you will be the trailblazer......with that said - giddie up!

BOTR

• Options
    Go for it...some good stars in that set for the future...thus the reason behind my 85 donruss set, currently #2 and gaining ground on Mad Emily....
  • Options
    Would it be better if i built the small MVP insert set to get an eye for the 88's

example

Looks like a 10 to me image

• Options
    That is a great idea!! the 88 domruss set has a few subsets if I remm correctly.

I would do those added on sets (like the mvp) and pehaps the DK set.
    I think that the 88 set has at least 4 different sub sets.

id forget about doing the base cards....for now

Steve

edited to add: if it looks like a ten it could still get a 9

bug knows about the pct of gem cards that actually get the gem grade.

That is why a 9 should be the lowest you should want and expect. any 10's you get are bounus.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Wow this set brings back the memories....good times.

If you have the passion for this set and really want to do it, then by all means go for it. But remember its going to take a large amount of both time and money.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve.

Here is a card out of my raw set in the DK line I'm having trouble with Centering.

I'm also having trouble with nicks to the edge of Scott Fletcher DK ,Mark Langston DK ,and Cal Ripken DK

If anyone has high grade PSA 9's or 10's or really nice raws that will grade Mint please PM me.

Thanks for all your Help image
    Joe

PS - When i get my membership packet and those 12 free grades maybe i can post some pics of my best. Then get the boards feedback to see if i should send them in. Anybody think thats a good Idea?????????

• Options

<< <i>This is the hobby version of watching a friend stumble out of a bar in the wee hours, car keys in hand. Don't do it, dude! >>

THE GREATEST POST EVER ON THESE BOARDS............imageimageimage
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    You can't even think about sending cards in that are not centered.

Steve

lol i agree yawie's post was great!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks again Ken.
    If you come across any 88's in super shape raw or graded keep me in mind. I am going to build this set even though I know half the board thinks I am Crazy. I'm going to take Steve's Advice and do it in the small subsets first. My Goal is buy the end of 06 to be done. I fell like Columbus undertaking this set. That’s half the fun to know you got a one of a kind. Who knows maybe I’ll become a trend setter like the 84 Donruss Guys.

Joe

• Options
    Buy the end of 06 to be done?? Wow, that is going to cost a pretty penney. Are looking for cards already graded or going to sending stuff into PSA. I am sure as in 84 Topps there are some cards that have not even been graded at this point.

Stingray
  • Options
    Yeah Stingray I know this is going to be very difficult to do , but that’s part of the fun. I figure I'll spend tons of $$$$$$$$$$$ by the year end.
    If you look at it this way even if you spent $4000 that’s only $333.34 a month. My wife lets me spend a little more than that. Anything over that and I think she would divorce me or at lest bust my computer so I couldn't bid on ebay. LOL Thats why I need all the boards Help to get there the Cheapest. Please keep an eye out for me and if anyone has some old Graded cards in this set to dump please PM me.

I've just recently got started on graded cards. I started out in AUGUST OF 05 with BGS and recently crossed over to PSA. I have Tons of Cards in 86 Donruss and 88 Topps. I'm not going to cross them over b/c I Do like the holdersimageimageimage I thought Beckett did a fine Job but the collectors were no into Collecting Like PSA Registrants.

I do have 3 BGS in the 88 Donruss. How well do they crossover???

Thanks for your HELP!!
    Joe

• Options

<< <i>Would it be better if i built the small MVP insert set to get an eye for the 88's >>

This might be a good place to start. Either you will love it and continue to build the rest of the set or get bored and realize you need to be medicated! image
    Checking on Ebay showed one 1988 Donruss graded card so it may only get done if you submit them yourself.
    On the bright side Donruss just stopped printing these last week so you should have no problem finding raw cards! image
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Joe, good luck if you go through with it...certainly is a big undertaking. I started an 85 donruss set for the same reason as you are starting your 88. If you are looking for unopened, I have 3 rack cases and a wax case for 88 donruss.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Good Luck to you. If that has personal memories go for it. The hunt for that set and to get them graded may be as trying as many older sets. I have seen people blow $300 a month on beer and cigarettes. Many will lose that amount on Sunday "messing around" with a few props on the Super Bowl.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but their are only 4 people on the PSA registry for that set and under 400 cards graded. You will definitely be a pioneer. The top registry does not have 25 cards.

Like many have said try to get your grading costs at a minimum. Even a $5 per card that is $3300 not including postage.

Your wife may not mind the allowance, but you are going to make one big mess opening those cards. That pattern on those cards may be hypnotic after a while.
  • Options
    <Your wife may not mind the allowance, but you are going to make one big mess opening those cards. That pattern on those cards may be hypnotic after a while. >

Theczar LOL That mybe true. Look at the bright side I could be doing the 88 Donruss baseball's Best set. Orangeimage

Joe

• Options
    If you look at the population Report in PSA you'll see this is a very tuff set to get 10's.
    So I did a little research and turns out BGS are tuff on this set too.
    Here is the links to both POP reports. Do I think this is because the poor centering of this set and the Dark Borders.
    Anyone’s opinion????????????/

Joe

bgs pop report
    PSA POPULATION REPORT

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Actually, it looks like a fairly easy set on which to get 10's. Nearly a quarter of the 387 cards submitted to PSA have been awarded 10's, with roughly another half landing 9's. I would've thought those percentages would be lower due to the dark borders, but my inner conspiracy theorist tells me that PSA has become increasingly liberal with 9's and 10's on these kinds of cards (i.e. ubiquitous junk wax) because that's the only way people will submit them.

I'm not really trying to rain on your parade, Joe, but for the sake of your mental and fiscal health, please think about this before you do anything rash. Besides the prevailing belief that '88 Donruss is one of the worst mainstream baseball sets in hobby history, the fact of the matter is that people get bored building sets. They get bored holding onto sets. I don't religiously follow the Registry, but it's safe to say that a number of high-quality, high-demand sets have been retired, sold or dismantled. I used to be shocked by the sales of such sets, but now I can say I've done it myself. Should you lose interest on a project like this, you're going to be stuck with a few bucks worth of cardboard trapped inside hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of PSA plastic.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage