Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post some numismatic myths

Here's one: the design change of 1886 T2 Indian cents.

The design alteration by Charles E. Barber of the 1886 type 2 Indian cent (and all IH heads struck thereafter) is not clearly understood by most collectors and their numismatic resources. Most resources describe Barber's alteration of Longacre's design by the feather formation -- Longacre's design has the last feathertip pointing between the I and C of AMERICA, while Barber's alteration has it pointing between the C and A.

Truth is Barber didn't change the feathers at all. He simply changed the spacing of the legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, giving the illusion that the feathers had changed formation.

An overlay of an 1886 T1 & T2. The feathers remain the same, only the Legend changes:

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    myth........................sac golden dollars are made out of gold!!

fact....no they are not aint any gold in there at all!!!!

myth.............the js inital on the obverse of the roosie dime stands for joseph stalin

fact........... no it does not it stands for the designer of the coin john sinnock
  • Options
    If a coin is old it's really valuable.

Certainly a misunderstanding of the general public.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    myth .............most all certified coins trade sight unseen

fact..............no they do not and it is not even close

myth..........if a coin is old it is worth lots

fact.........not true you can buy many fine ancient coins that are silver and close to if not over 2000 years old with much history and desireability for under 100 dollars under 50 dollars

yet a 1990 no s proof cent in superb gem is worth in the middle four figure range

• Options
    www.pocketchangelottery.com/article108.htm
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Myth: You can make a lot of money investing in coins.

Fact: You can make a lot of money collecting coins if, and only if, making money is of no concern what-so-ever.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    General coin collecting myths were not the intention of this post, though I agree with all of them.

Specific myths about coins are harder to find but interest me the most. Share some.
  • Options
    Myth: All rare coins are valuable.

Fact: Rare coins are valuable only as demand dictates.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL/MOST coins in PCGS green label holders are undergraded!!!
  • Options
    Myth: Business strike coins were not minted in Denver and San Fransisco in 1965, 1966, and 1967.

Fact: The mint decided not to include mint marks to discourage collecting.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myth: Eliasberg had a complete collection [as defined in his checklist]

Fact: he had a pattern of a certain date instead of a regular issue, so his set wasn't complete
  • Options
    The Josh Tatum story about his trial over the racketeer nickel is fictional.

The addition of chain mail to cover Liberty's breast was NOT the result of some great public outcry.
  • Options

<< <i>Myth: You can make a lot of money investing in coins. >>

That may be a myth, but it's an absolute fact that you can make a small fortune investing in coins

as long as you start with a large fortune.image
    Roy

• Options

<< <i>The addition of chain mail to cover Liberty's breast was NOT the result of some great public outcry. >>

Conder, what was the real reason then?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The addition of chain mail to cover Liberty's breast was NOT the result of some great public outcry. >>

Conder, what was the real reason then? >>

It's hard to keep a good nipple down.
    Doug
  • Options
    The change was probably a personal choice of McNeil's. The obverse design of the quarter was very symbolic of Americas preparation for the the growing conflict in Europe. Liberty gazes to the east towards Europe as she guards the gateway to America, and though she holds an olive branch she is withdrawing the cloak away from her shield of defence. When the mint requested some changes be made to the design McNeil probably realized that if you are "preparing for battle" it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so with your breast hanging out. So he added to the defence motif by adding the chain mail. There is correspondence from the Mint that discusses the changes to be made and it specificly states that no other changes are to be made other than those mentoned in the letter. No mention was made of covering the breast. If they were reacting to a public outcry I would expect them to have stressed that change. Instead McNeil made a design change against the mints orders.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The IGWT motto goes back to America's first coinage and was set by the founding fathers. -- a myth of assumption by much of the non-collecting public.

Fugio cents were minted by Benjamin Franklin.

Lincoln was put on the cent in 1909 to annoy Southerners.

The base of the Statue of Liberty is exclusively composed of melt 1884 and 1885 Liberty nickels.

You can still redeem a $1 silver certificate for a real silver dollar coin upon demand.

US currency is backed by gold stored at Fort Knox.

US cents are pennies and are made of 100% copper. Nickels are made of 100% nickel.

All 1899-O dollars with micro o mintmarks are counterfeits.

Coin collectors assay gold coins by biting them.

1887 "Alligator Eye" (VAM-12) and 1891-CC "Spitting Eagle" (VAM-3) VAM dollars are rare die varieites worth siginificant premiums.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one grading standard for US coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1861-O $20's with strike weakness in the date are the ones that were struck by the Confederacy
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one grading standard for Morgan dollars. The grading services, for example, treat CC mint coins differently than S mint coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Josh Tatum story about his trial over the racketeer nickel is fictional.

The addition of chain mail to cover Liberty's breast was NOT the result of some great public outcry. >>

You took mine Condor! There is NO evidence of public concern or outrage over the uncovered breast on the 1917 Standing Lib. Quarter. It's funny how many times you read this in books and articles.

Didn't know about the Josh Tatum story though. I remember reading that the expression 'just Joshing you' came from this trial

McNeil probably realized that if you are "preparing for battle" it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so with your breast hanging out.

(unless your Celtic.....)image
  • Options
    Ebay's feedback system is flawless.

(nobody really believes that do they?) image

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The Addition of Chain Mail used to cover Liberty's Breast was the result of Public Outcry

No, The mint got upset because coin collectors started grading FULL NIPPLE Standing Liberty Quarters.

All 1894 s dimes are Proof
    The is nothing proof in the manufacture nor the look of 1894 s dimes.

TradedollarNut -Even if Eliasbergs collection was not 100% complete it was a better than anyone elses and certainly better than yours.
    BTW Bruce,I would expect a more thought provoking post from someone of your stature especially on New Years Day.

Stewart
  • Options
    If it's in a slab, any slab, it must be a great coin.image
    My grandchildren. The heirs to my collection! (Just not to soon I hope)
  • Options
    That PCGS has a viable guaranty of authenticity.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Stewart, what's your quibble with TDN's/Bruces' post? I think he correctly noted a widespread myth among collectors regarding a very famous collection.

I'm wondering if perhaps it was news to YOU and you couldn't handle the shock/truth? Either way, I see you are as grouchy this year as you've been every other that I've known you. image

See you in a few days.image
  • Options

<< <i>The change was probably a personal choice of McNeil's. The obverse design of the quarter was very symbolic of Americas preparation for the the growing conflict in Europe. Liberty gazes to the east towards Europe as she guards the gateway to America, and though she holds an olive branch she is withdrawing the cloak away from her shield of defence. When the mint requested some changes be made to the design McNeil probably realized that if you are "preparing for battle" it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so with your breast hanging out. So he added to the defence motif by adding the chain mail. There is correspondence from the Mint that discusses the changes to be made and it specificly states that no other changes are to be made other than those mentoned in the letter. No mention was made of covering the breast. If they were reacting to a public outcry I would expect them to have stressed that change. Instead McNeil made a design change against the mints orders. >>

Thanks. The first numismatic bit of knowledge I learned for 2006! image
  • Options
    TradedollarNut -Even if Eliasbergs collection was not 100% complete it was a better than anyone elses and certainly better than yours.

neener neener neener.

Other than a trivia contest, who really gives a rat's patootie that he had an 1865 three cent pattern instead of a regular issue????
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid growing up in San Francisco,
    I heard that the "S" on silver dollars was San Francisco and the "O" was Oakland (a town across the bay from SF).

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    According to legend a wagon load of 1907-D Barber dimes disappeared as it left the mint.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Myth - Russ owns all the 1964 Accent Hair Kennedy Halves minted.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>TradedollarNut -Even if Eliasbergs collection was not 100% complete it was a better than anyone elses and certainly better than yours.

neener neener neener.

Other than a trivia contest, who really gives a rat's patootie that he had an 1865 three cent pattern instead of a regular issue???? >>

Eliasberg also did not have an 1870-S half dime which was unknown at the time he put his collection together. And yes, Stewart, he had a better collection than I have.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Mark - If I want to break TDN's chops why do you have to intercede and call me grouchy ?Are you the forum moderator ?

Bruce - I liked your retort.You added some flava to your post.

Stewart
  • Options

<< <i>Mark - If I want to break TDN's chops why do you have to intercede and call me grouchy ?Are you the forum moderator ? >>

Stewart, please bend but don't break his chops.image In reply to your two questions: 1) I don't; 2) No, except when you're posting here.image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myth--The mint "allows" some mistakes thru (like the 95 DDO Lincoln) to keep coin collectors happy...
    Truth--The mints machinery is still run by humans who have a tendency to act...well...human.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Mark - If I want to break TDN's chops why do you have to intercede and call me grouchy ?

Stewart's grouchy because I have a 26-S in 65RD and he doesn't. image
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Myth: St. Feldolini is a benevolent, kindhearted, education minded promoter of numismatics.

Truth: St. Feldolini is a crusty old misanthrope, with no use for coins, people, or their ugly little dogs.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    excellent thread!
  • Options

<< <i>Stewart's grouchy because I have a 26-S in 65RD and he doesn't >>

Bruce, prepare to be hounded by Stewart for the rest of your life, "just in case" you weren't jokingimage

<< <i>Truth: St. Feldolini is a crusty old misanthrope, with no use for coins, people, or their ugly little dogs >>

"I'll get you my pretty...and your little dog too!"image

Now, back to the topic at hand (no pun intended, despite what follows below) .....

Myth among many non-coin people: A proof coin is one that has not been touched by human hands.

Another, more particular myth : In my opinion, at least, despite rumors and claims to the contrary, there is no such coin as a Proof 1917 Lincoln cent.

Another: The 1804 is the rarest date among the Proof Bust Dollars of 1801-1804. And another: Proof Bust Dollars (including the 1804) were struck in the years/dates which appear on the coins.

And one more: The Proof 1866 No Motto Dollars were regular issues struck in 1866. Wrong, on both counts, as far as I know.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1907 High Relief $20 doulbe eagle is a very rare coin
    (It is a valuable and popular coin, but it's hardly rare)
    All patterns are proofs
    (Some patterns have high mintages, and are much like business strikes in terms of method of manufacture)
    Four dollar Stellas were low mintage regular issues
    (No, they are patterns. This myth is more due to their popularity and prominance in the "Red Book")
    The "Red Book" is an accurate valuation of coins
    (Even the weekly greysheet has its mistakes. The Red Book, published annually, is usually close but rarely precise for valuations)
    Mintage always corresponds to rarity
    (Some coins have considerably higher or lower survival than mintage would suggest)
    Coin collectors are all old men
    (!!!)
    Home Shopping Network is a good place to get deals on coins
    (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A numismatic education and great humor in the same thread.... its not a myth anymore...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    All coins with a BC after the date are rare.
    Carl
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will see a plethora of numismatic myths on any thread about how to submit coins to get upgrade(s). You'll need a shovel for a thread like that.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    All coins with a BC after the date are rare.

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Myth among many non-coin people: A proof coin is one that has not been touched by human hands. >>

I've heard this from "collectors" too. Mostly those who started in the 50's and never "grew" from there. Must came from somewhere at the time
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Myth among many non-coin people: A proof coin is one that has not been touched by human hands. >>

I've heard this from "collectors" too. Mostly those who started in the 50's and never "grew" from there. Must came from somewhere at the time >>

Yeah, proof means they were minted especially not to be handled, as in circulated. Logically impaired people turned that around to mean that uncirculated is proof.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    1856 flyers are regular mint issue coinage and collected as such

many believe this as most all coin cent holders have this date as a regular issue
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is NO evidence of public concern or outrage over the uncovered breast on the 1917 Standing Lib. Quarter. It's funny how many times you read this in books and articles >>

Breen's book is a big promoter of this

But then again, his perception of what's "scandalous" and what's not, is, well, questionable....
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is NO evidence of public concern or outrage over the uncovered breast on the 1917 Standing Lib. Quarter. It's funny how many times you read this in books and articles >>

Breen's book is a big promoter of this

But then again, his perception of what's "scandalous" and what's not, is, well, questionable.... >>

LOL, though the Breen scandals are hardly funny. The guy was a brilliant numismatist nonetheless but was so full of ego at times thst was incredible. His hipshots at rarity assessments didn't hold up in many outstanding cases.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Myth: You can make alot of money collecting coins ---Fact: You can lose alot of money collecting coins.. Look at all the collectors purchasing overgraded junk in 3rd world holders on ebay..They are losing thousands of dollars and do not even know it...Until they go to sell it.. image
  • Options
    Myth: Uncirculated coins never circulated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file