Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My vote for most talented forum poster of the first half decade

We're approaching the 5 year anniversary of the new forum (Feb 2001, see my joined date). So much great collecting info has been posted here since PCGS revised their site in 2001. But no one here has both surprised and impressed me more than Coppercoins, and I vote him the best forum poster of the first half decade.

I originally knew him from his website 'Coppercoins.com' long before he posted here. A cool Lincoln attribution site that wasn't easy to navigate. When he came onboard I welcomed him as a Lincoln attributor I admired but figured it would end at that.

Since then he has posted answers to countless Lincoln cent variety questions.

But it's only lately that Coppercoins has shown us his artistic side. I'm blown away that a guy with the intellectual talent to attribute coins so precicely also has the talent to sketch their designers so beautifully. I find this mesh of talents simply amazing.

All Coppercoins posts combined represent the most interesting posts this forum has to offer for its first 5 years.

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coppercoins knows his stuff.

Did you ever see the dynamite quarter design he drew up a few years ago? Awesome.

• Options
    The person who started this thread and the first guy who responded to it have contributed a great deal to this forum.

The best of a half decade--that's a tough one.

I am not a Lincoln collector so I may have missed a lot of coopercoin's posts, but I did see the sketches he has done lately and was very, very impressed.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would nominte several to the list....

- Coinguy1, for his integrety and insight into the dealer's perspective.

- Michael, for his honest and knowledgeable posts on classic coins.

- Mr. Half Dimel for his incredible knowlege in his area of expertise, and willingness to share it.

- Cladking, for the same reason as Mr. Half Dime, but on a far different topic.

I'm sure I'm missing more than a few, but those ocurred to me off the top of my head...Mike

[edited -- engineers can't spell]
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    All Coppercoins posts combined represent the most interesting posts this forum has to offer for its first 5 years.

Even the ones about him quitting the forum? image

My vote goes to Coinguy1.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>All Coppercoins posts combined represent the most interesting posts this forum has to offer for its first 5 years.

Even the ones about him quitting the forum? image

My vote goes to Coinguy1. >>

image I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

I'd say coinguy1, even though he is a rat fink.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We're approaching the 5 year anniversary of the new forum (Feb 2001, see my joined date). So much great collecting info has been posted here since PCGS revised their site in 2001. But no one here has both surprised and impressed me more than Coppercoins, and I vote him the best forum poster of the first half decade.

I originally knew him from his website 'Coppercoins.com' long before he posted here. A cool Lincoln attribution site that wasn't easy to navigate. When he came onboard I welcomed him as a Lincoln attributor I admired but figured it would end at that.

Since then he has posted answers to countless Lincoln cent variety questions.

But it's only lately that Coppercoins has shown us his artistic side. I'm blown away that a guy with the intellectual talent to attribute coins so precicely also has the talent to sketch their designers so beautifully. I find this mesh of talents simply amazing.

All Coppercoins posts combined represent the most interesting posts this forum has to offer for its first 5 years. >>

I'll second that, nicely said.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    In addition to above:
    Fatman knows commems and dahlonega coins and posts helpfully.
    FC57Coins made major contributions with his franklin instructional series.
    RYK has made me feel as if I won't be entirely "naked" when i dip into the pool of southern gold.
    BillJones is a voice of numismatic long term perspective.
    There are others, but those are the first to pop into my "I've only been here 9 months" head.

Don
  • Options
    Coinguy1 has interesting questions and TDN interesting coins/posts. I'll pass on copper, they argue to much!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Easily, the following:

Coinguy1
    RYK
    TDN
    Conder101
    Kranky
    Fatman
    Michael
    Pistareen

I am sure I am missing others, but those are the few that come to mind.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Coinguy1
    Michael
    Condor
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Even the ones about him quitting the forum?

I left out Charles leaving the forum in my chronology but that is one post of his I could relate to the most. What I appreciate most about Charles is he posted his problems here all for all of us to understand, that takes guts. Since then he's come back with a vengeance....
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    roadrunner
    nyosoto (sp?)
    eureka
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Yep, definitely RYK
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperCoins is also a young man and may be around long enough to be the real old timer here.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have some arguements if you limited your query to just contributions to this forum, but if you're going for "talented" then I agree 100% with coppercoins. Don't forget that in addition to everything you listed, he researched, wrote, laid out and published an incredible book on Lincoln Cents. He took most of the photos in the book and on coppercoins.com, and I think he's even done much of the HTML coding for the site. I'd be happy with even one of those accomplishments on my resume.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    This Coppercoins image is amazing.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Cardinal, he REALLY knew his stuff. I would also vote for Coinguy1, TomB, Condor101, MrHalfDime, and myself, tjkillian image

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    "Most talented" poster, MadMarty of course with Russ a close second.

Most insightful poster Coinguy1, he can see both ends of the industry.
    Buy More Coins!!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Where's oreville? image
  • Options
    I vote for coinguy1. Very logical and knowledgeable.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Coinguy1image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    "I'd say coinguy1, even though he is a rat fink"

How so???

Anyway, I have to put in a plug for Russ...always fast, and accurate, sense of humor.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I'll add one more to my coinguy1 post.

Rittenhouse. He hasn't been here for a while, but he's an incredible fund of knowledge.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    CD for his specific knowledge, coinguy1 for broad knowledge.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, but as for contributions and votes for such, I think it takes all of us to make this board complete. Without newbies asking questions there would be little reasonf or anyone else to hang around. And if it weren't for so many people hanging around asking and answering questions, there would be little reason for the board to exist in the first place...look across the street...

I think Shylock's purpose was to expose that I do have artistic talent, not that I am flawless in any stretch of imagination. I have had a lot of problems, a number of which have come out here, and undoubtedly some shallow people cannot see past.

As for numismatic contributor, my vote is also for Coinguy1. I believe he is probably the most well-rounded numismatist on the board.

Honorable mention goes to a number of other people - there is indeed a lot of knowledge to be shared here, much of which I have gained from and have become a more well-rounded numismatist as a result.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't vote on deals such as this.
    Just too many great folks to pick from.
    Glad all are here to shareimage
    Larry

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 95 % of you guys and gals rock. You all make this forum great.

Thanks

Tbig
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coppercoins knows what I think of him.

We go back a long way.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    There's a ton of knowledgeable coin misfits on this forum, so it's not hard to find something interesting most every day. I enjoy reading the posts from roadrunner, coinguy1 & BillJones. There's bound to be something being torn apart or microscoped when they are a part of a discussion/thread. And the rest of us(at least most of us) are doomed to coloring books(with numbers) when it comes to the talent of coppercoins.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be the person who generates the most replies?? Laura?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinguy1 certainly comes up quick and a lot. Mr Eureka and TDN too but both have gone into semi-retirement awaiting more brain cells to regenerate since they left so much on the table the last few years
    (lol). Actually many have gone into a semi-retired mode because how many times can you say the same thing? It does get tiring.

Agree with others who have contributed such as Michael, Oreville, Longacre, Nic, Ellewood, Shylock, Ronyahski, Tonelover, Laura Legend, EVP (in his prime), LloydD, El Contador, Bill Jones, Monsterman (guest professor and visiting lecturer), all the wild PM guys like MrEarlygold, Deadhorse, DDink, Hammerman, Coynclector, Cladking, + too many other bullion guys for me to remember....yeah and even the guys who are patently anti-gold to stir it up. There are a hundred or two hundred or so regulars who really contribute to the forum. Hats off to each one of you. I also have to toss one at Dollardude. He was a presence for the year or so he was with us.
    Where have you gone Mrs. Robinson?

I look at the forum as a place to do public service, consumer protection and get the word out on what each of knows and can help others with. If we didn't learn something each day why make the effort.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    There is more numismatic knowledge on this forum collectively than anywhere in the world, and that fact is very cool
    Michael
  • Options
    No one has said homerunhall yet? Come on...surely someone wants an easy suck up post. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    My vote goes to Coinguy1. His threads are always well thought out and interesting.
  • Options
    I also would vote for coinguy1 if forced to pick a single poster. There are many others who I very much enjoy reading, though. Conder101 and Cladking being high on that list.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>"I'd say coinguy1, even though he is a rat fink"

How so???

Anyway, I have to put in a plug for Russ...always fast, and accurate, sense of humor.image >>

In truth, I speak in jest. I just like to give him a hard time, I really like the guy.
  • Options
    This is a great ego thread. I'm very flattered to be thought of so highly by many of the people here, people who are quite knowledgeable themselves. I'm glad my posts have been helpful. (And I apoligize for the ones where I get something wrong.)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I still don't know anybody. SOMEONE send me a 1909 O Five Dollar Gold Indian in MS62 and I will cast my vote for you image.... I mean since we are blowing smoke and all image.

• Options
    The most talented forum poster I Nominate G R A N D D A D !!!! even though he was about to give up on me cause of me being stubborn, his last post really stuck to me and thats why i started to shut up listen and learn about what i was trying to collect . anyone who can get through my thick skull and then leave a lasting impression has Mucho talento. and for that I want him nominated. Even if he doesnt win. Granddad thanks for everything. you rock
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>roadrunner

eureka >>

Pistareenimage
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    There are many around here who constantly amaze me with thier numismatic knowledge. There are several folks on this forum that know stuff that no-one should know.image I don't want to start a list because I will surely leave out some very deserving folks. I will give a shout-out to Coinguy1 though. He really classes this place up.image And on many days around here that is a very difficult task.

As for those who were kind enough to mention my name, you've been misled and I appologize. I don't hold a candle to many of the talents on this forum.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an honor to be mentioned with so many very talented posters. CopperCoins certainly
    deserves the recognition but there are numerous posters on these boards who have tre-
    mendous talent and/ or numismatic knowledge and haven't been mentioned. Many of the
    threads seem to imply real talent among all the users here.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    There are a lot of people here when they speak, I listen. It's great. But, the one person, when I see his name I will always look to see what he said, is Conder101. But I have to mention lordmarcovan for his narratives on his metal detecting adventures. They are just an outright treat to read and I've learned a lot from them.

Jerry
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I would have to add Clankeye to a most illustrious list.

For giving us all, a wonderful look at his world of Coinalot.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I vote for KZ6AZ......just kidding

I can't believe how many people post the most amazing things in the coin forum and then post the most weirdest things in the open forum.

A great bunch of people all around.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Wow! I wont pretend for even a second, that I am not honored, humbled (and even slightly embarrassed) to see my name mentioned in such a thread. Go ahead - it's ok to call me corny/square. image

There are nearly countless participants (some great ones named in this thread and others not) who help to make this forum the wonderful one that it is. It's a special combination of the questions and issues raised, the wide range of replies and perspectives, the highly thoughtful, informed and entertaining exchanges, and so much more.

Thanks to everyone for all of the above.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    OK Mark, you're square.image
  • Options
    Coinguy gets my vote as well. I've never met anybody in the coin industry who has impressed me so much.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    A great list of superior contributors. Many of you have also added to my coin knowledge through personal contacts. This is a truly special Forum. My thanks to all of you, listed or unlisted, for many great posts and sharing so much knowledge. Thanks must go to CU/PCGS for creating and supporting this venue.
    Trime
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file