Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Local dealer won't let me examine coin before I buy :(

Comments

• Options
    Somehow, I knew it.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    100++++
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    <<I think that what we have here is an Andy Kaufman wannabe.>>

You could be correct. All right. Then I should of answered like such:

You're KIDDING ME??? THOSE BUF"S are worth at least a BUCK each without a date! I know for a fact a dealer in Las Vegas who will pay top dollar for dateless buffaloes!!!
    Furthermore, those state quarters: A microscope IS A NECESSITY for high mintage coins. Don't tell me a measly 10x loupe will do the job for a POSSIBLE LONG TERM CUSTOMER BUYING RARE (compared to modern lincoln's) COINS. Hey, if the dealer could make 50 cents from the guy - that's 50 cents he WOULDN'T of received had he walked away, which he DID. (Can you believe that?). This dealer should be exposed for weak, I MEAN WEAK, customer satisfaction in the numismatic world. Sheesh.

BTW, I have access to Michigan State University's biology lab - am able to FREELY use the microscopes for State Quarters. But it is tough to find dealers who will let you take them to look at on your own time. I think they know the scratchless key date State quarters under a microscope are getting high premiums privately.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10 for entertainment value. image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Busthalfcrazy just HAS to be a Thiggy alt! image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Edited to add: Since it is a troll, expect the thread to hit 100 posts around... 3:30 eastern. image >>

Drat... missed it by fourteen minutes. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Did we have a point to all this or are we just trying to get Thiggy laid out of this?

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Busthalfcrazy just HAS to be a Thiggy alt! image >>

You can verify with the mods, I have never had a single alt and I don't have one now.
  • Options
    Busthalfcrazy, just in case you are being earnest, here's an overview: if you fall in love with a woman, do you pull out a magnifying glass to better examine her beauty???

Here is an overview: many graders who earn their living that way are near-sighted and can see a coin close-up, the equivalent of a 3 to 5X loupe for the rest of us. They can grade very quickly because they don't have to use a glass.

Many coin hobbyists use a 5 to 8X loupe for ordinary work - higher power loupes can reveal too much detail and this can be confusing because you can't see the whole coin, only this and that scratch and other dings.

A 10X loupe is fine in the hands of a seasoned pro because he/she probably made up their mind based on eyeballing the coin for luster, appeal and obvious defects before using the strong loupe just to be sure there are no signs of a funny coin.

This all applies to high-grade moderns and other expensive coins. State quarters that are Dansco bound should be picked out on their eye appeal.

A microscope is used when looking for double dies and repunched mint marks and the like. I have never heard of anyone hauling one to a coin store! If a dealer is selling RPMs or DDs, he/she will have a scope on site to show his coins. Rob

Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do I excite you in some perverse way? >>

Uh, no. I am, however, somewhat fascinated by your rudimentary ability to string together words on a message board without the benefit of higher brain function.

Russ, NCNE >>

pffffffft !

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread had me laughing so hard , I had to write. Any local dealer who won't let you examine his coins OBVIOUSLY has a REASON.

I have state quarters from the US Mint , P & D... going all the way back to the first ones. These are all NEW.
    thousands of them.... but that isn't the point.

The point is : NEVER TAKE A MICROSCOPE TO YOUR COIN DEALER's PLACE... for the very same reason you don't take a SHOVEL TO YOUR PROCTOLOGIST's

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Busthalfcrazy

you are a wack job and this is spamming or better yet these nonsense threads on here are nut jobs that have nothing better to do than troll

carolj and otis where are you??????????????????????

there has been several trolls on here just new today and one over at the ngc forums

• Options

<< <i>I have been behind on filling up my statequarter dansco album lately, I don't have the last 3 quarters and some from last year I don't have the D's.

I don't want any scratches on my quarters that I am putting in my album and I brought my microscope with me to the coin store to look at the coins closely before so I know what I am paying for. The dealer said I cannot go through his state quarters and put them under my microscope but I can use his magnifying glass if I want to. Then he rolled his eyes at me. I told him I only want the best for my money and asked if he was some kind of scam artist and he told me he was closing the shop for lunch and I had to leave.

Some people have no customer service I guess I will stick with ebay. image >>

What a bonehead!!!!

You that is, not the dealer!!
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanted to sell him a roll of buffalo nickels and use the money toward a standing liberty quarter in MS65. He said that because they were dateless that they weren't worth anything over face value (5 cents) to him. I told him if he put them in his display case someone would buy them and pay good money because it is not every day that you see a buffalo nickel. >>

You might consider consigning them to Heritage or ANR, maybe even convince them to take out a
    whole page ad in Coinworld. You definately want to realize the full potential of your coins in this
    Hot market.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Can we get some Ripple too? "

May I suggest Boone's Farm, Strawberry Hill.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So who's alt ID is Busthalfcrazy??? That is the true question here I think. >>

Maybe he's a gold coin lover too. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    imageimage
    morgannut2
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I think this thread just got hijacked with pictures of coins. What the heck is someone doing... trying to make this a legitimate thread?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    A scam artist?? over a state quarter. Has the Internet generation lost all understanding of politeness.

Terminate - with extreme prejudice
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, you're examining state quarters with a microscope! You can probably find better use for your time doing other tasks.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Maybe if you would of offered to order a pizza to be delivered for lunch it would of worked.

Jerry
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Has the Internet generation lost all understanding of politeness.

Yes, unfortunately.

• Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    I think 'ole Busty here is none other then....................G-C-L!

I''m seeing the same trends such as the poor me, I'm just trying to learn lines, and the nickel and diming dealers.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    Talk about micro grading!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    Back to the point of threadimage Maybe the dealer was just upset because he figured after he factored in the electricity used to power the microscope, and his razor thin margins on the sale of state quarters, it is losing situation even if the guy bought the coinsimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Here you go BustAssCrazy you can look at mine!!

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Where's GCL these days???
  • Options

<< <i>Troll.

linkage >>

LOL...took the words right outta my mouth

is this guy for real or is someone just playing games?image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I have been behind on filling up my statequarter dansco album lately, I don't have the last 3 quarters and some from last year I don't have the D's.

I don't want any scratches on my quarters that I am putting in my album and I brought my microscope with me to the coin store to look at the coins closely before so I know what I am paying for. The dealer said I cannot go through his state quarters and put them under my microscope but I can use his magnifying glass if I want to. Then he rolled his eyes at me. I told him I only want the best for my money and asked if he was some kind of scam artist and he told me he was closing the shop for lunch and I had to leave.

Some people have no customer service I guess I will stick with ebay. >>>

Yea, good move...all the ungraded coins on ebay are scratch free.
  • Options
    Microscope?
    How about going in with a 5X loop, no dealer has ever complained to me about that.
    We are talking about buying 25C coins I would probably kick you out to.
    How is the rock tumbling going, have you finished cleaning your collection?
  • Options
    Acutally busthalfcrazy needs to use his microscope to see if there are any scratches on the coins then after he finds the only MS70 state quarter business strike ever made, he needs to make positively sure he uses the rock tumbler to keep it clean and problem free for ever! Only then will he be happy that he has the best and cleanest coin for his album.

Andrew
  • Options
    a microscope for a state quarter?
    what's wrong with you?
    besides, they're Modern Crap anyway.
    know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options

<< <i>Where's GCL these days??? >>

Per his posts on another forum, he recently completed his HS studies (he was studying online smoehow). He settled down and posted less and in a usual manner, from what I saw.
    Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file