Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Local dealer won't let me examine coin before I buy :(

I have been behind on filling up my statequarter dansco album lately, I don't have the last 3 quarters and some from last year I don't have the D's.

I don't want any scratches on my quarters that I am putting in my album and I brought my microscope with me to the coin store to look at the coins closely before so I know what I am paying for. The dealer said I cannot go through his state quarters and put them under my microscope but I can use his magnifying glass if I want to. Then he rolled his eyes at me. I told him I only want the best for my money and asked if he was some kind of scam artist and he told me he was closing the shop for lunch and I had to leave.

Some people have no customer service I guess I will stick with ebay. image

Comments

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I guess I will stick with ebay. image >>

...and your local coin dealer thanks you for that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...I guess I will stick with ebay. image >>

...and your local coin dealer thanks you for that. >>

Why? Don't business men need to make money and need my business? If he showed some customer skills I would have bought my statequarters from him. Now because he didn't want to let me go through them and put them under my microscope he lost sales.
  • Options
    Busthalfcrazy, your title to this thread is inaccurate and misleading.

The dealer said you could use his magnifying glass, just not your microscope. That seems like a fair place for him to draw the line, considering the time and potential business involved.

<< <i>I told him I only want the best for my money and asked if he was some kind of scam artist and he told me he was closing the shop for lunch and I had to leave. >>

Your question/accusation was way out of line under the circumstances you described and I don't blame him for asking you to leave.

Try to put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself how you would have handled it.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It probably wouldn't bother me, but honestly, I think taking the microscope in is a little excessive. If there was a scratch that you needed a microscope to see, does it make a difference? I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but I am just giving my opinion. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

Maybe, just maybe something about your attitude or your demeanor was somewhat off-putting?

I find that for $5 to $10 coins that a 10X loupe id MORE than adequate, and I've even used it on some coins worth a little bit more image

Just a thought image

• Options
    He might have thought looking at pocket change with a microscope was going too far. image He knows you can't look at state quarters on eBay with your microscope. He did suggest using a magnifying glass. Perhaps he doesn't want any other customers to start bringing in their microscopes. Perhaps he was too hungry to wait for you so he could earn a buck.

Sorry, but I do find this slightly amusing. If you can't find a scratch with a magnifying glass you will never see one with your bare eyes with the coin in an album.
  • Options

<< <i>

Try to put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself how you would have handled it. >>

I disagree.
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    Busthalfcrazy, keep in mind that you are tying up a lot of the dealers time and energy in a situation like this for very little dollars. What do the state quarters go for ? $1.00, $1.25? Maybe a microscope is a little excessive.....a 10x loupe will probably work just fine for this. That is if he ever comes back from lunch image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Try to put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself how you would have handled it. >>

I disagree. >>

Then gather together 25-50K to outfit a store, with another 200K to 2MM+ for inventory, and open a store yourself.

And I'm not being sarcastic - I mean it. Sounds like you'd have great customer service!

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    A microscope does seem out of line, do people bring them into coin shows for these types of purchases?
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Lets see, You come in with a microscope and want to finger up a bunch of my coins to maybe buy 1 or 2 which I may make 50¢ on?

Yea Right!!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it April 1st already?
    I read this and thought "what a dink". Then I thought, hmmmm....a parody image

At least, I hope it is making fun of a few posts and dealers image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    asked if he was some kind of scam artist and he told me he was closing the shop for lunch and I had to leave.

I'm not sure if I would have let you use a microscope which could potentially damage the coins trying to get an insanely close look at them either. Now if they were some state quarters, I don't think I would have cared one way or the other but certainly not anything worth over $100.

I do think that you calling the dealer a "scam artist" was a very nice thing to do. I believe I would have shown you the door also.

Is there some underlying issue between you and this dealer?
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options

<< <i>Lets see, You come in with a microscope and want to finger up a bunch of my coins to maybe buy 1 or 2 which I may make 50¢ on?Yea Right!! >>

And don't forget, you get to be called a scam artist in the process.
  • Options

<< <i>Try to put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself how you would have handled it. >>

<< <i>I disagree >>

You disagree with trying to put yourself in his shoes and asking yourself how you would have handled it?

Am I the only one that found Busthalfcrazy's question to the dealer "and asked if he was some kind of scam artist" to be way out of line and even more revealing than the magnifying glass versus microscope part of the events? Edited to add: Thankfully, I see that I am not.image
  • Options
    I would like to take back everything bad I have ever said about local dealers.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I told him I only want the best for my money and asked if he was some kind of scam artist... >>

Hmmm... In some parts you'll get a black eye for saying such a thing.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Now I see why the local dealers, get cranky.
  • Options
    Troll.

linkage
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Is there some underlying issue between you and this dealer? >>

The only other issue I had ever had with this guy is when I went to sell him some of my coins that I was upgrading and he tried to rip me off. I wanted to sell him a roll of buffalo nickels and use the money toward a standing liberty quarter in MS65. He said that because they were dateless that they weren't worth anything over face value (5 cents) to him. I told him if he put them in his display case someone would buy them and pay good money because it is not every day that you see a buffalo nickel. I told him he should learn to take constructive criticism. He got smart with me and I called him an A-hole and left.

OTher than that we have a pretty good relationship but he is shady.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it April 1st already?
    I read this and thought "what a dink". Then I thought, hmmmm....a parody image

At least, I hope it is making fun of a few posts and dealers image >>

Agreed, this has to be a troll. Started by the same guy who posted threads asking for opinions of his rock-tumbler coin cleaner twice in the last two months. This thread and this user should be BALEETED.

Sean Reynolds

Edited to add: Since it is a troll, expect the thread to hit 100 posts around... 3:30 eastern. image
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Next thing you know, Busthalfcrazy will be listing coins on Ebay and advertising them in the US Coin Forum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Is there some underlying issue between you and this dealer? >>

The only other issue I had ever had with this guy is when I went to sell him some of my coins that I was upgrading and he tried to rip me off. I wanted to sell him a roll of buffalo nickels and use the money toward a standing liberty quarter in MS65. He said that because they were dateless that they weren't worth anything over face value (5 cents) to him. I told him if he put them in his display case someone would buy them and pay good money because it is not every day that you see a buffalo nickel. I told him he should learn to take constructive criticism. He got smart with me and I called him an A-hole and left.

OTher than that we have a pretty good relationship but he is shady. >>

Ok, now I'm sure of the fact that you're just trolling.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who's alt ID is Busthalfcrazy??? That is the true question here I think.
  • Options

<< <i>He got smart with me and I called him an A-hole and left.

OTher than that we have a pretty good relationship but he is shady. >>

Okay, now I'm starting to laugh. The fact he even let you back in his shop is miraculous. He must feel sorry for you.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Next thing you know, Busthalfcrazy will be listing coins on Ebay and advertising them in the US Coin Forum. >>

No the Registry Forum. image

At least this troll is funny. image
  • Options

<< <i>So who's alt ID is Busthalfcrazy??? That is the true question here I think. >>

Possibly QDB?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So who's alt ID is Busthalfcrazy??? That is the true question here I think. >>

Possibly QDB? >>

I'm thinking CarolJ has had one too many today and gone a bit loopy image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Just, wow.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

I think it's Coinguy1. Sure sounds like something he'd say.

• Options

<< <i>I think it's Coinguy1. Sure sounds like something he'd say.

image >>

I wouldn't put it past him, coinguy1 is definitely a shady character and should be watched closely.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    If you are collecting raw state quarters, a microscope is excessive and almost laughable. I am not trying to be mean in saying that. If I was the dealer and someone came into my shop with such a request, I would immediately assume the collector was a novice who happened to buy a microscope and would also be concerned about mishandling the coins as such. I collect DMPL die varieties where I have the maddening task of discerning very slight device doubling, which is extremely difficult with a mirrored field at times. Still, with that and my horrible eyesight, a good loupe is sufficient. A microscope, for me, is useful for photographing minute details and for counterfeit detection on some pieces.

My advice, if you want scratch-free circulation strike state quarters, is to buy ANACS and ICG high grade ones (MS68-MS69) from Teletrade and crack them out carefully. Alternatively, buy top quality mint sets. (For proofs, change to PR68-PR69 and proof sets, respectively.) In any event, don't accuse an established dealer of scamming unless you have been confrimably scammed with no recourse. That will blow all future business relationships between the two of you.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    70 more to go lol
  • Options
    For the record, this is the only ID I have, and I am not trolling.

Just because we disagree about something doesn't mean I am causing trouble.

I will not post about the rock tumbler thing anymore, you guys got that through my head finally.

I want to learn more about this hobby, I just would like help with how to deal with this local coin dealer. If you don't believe me I can post his phone number and you can call and talk to him.
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Speechless again imageimageimageimageimageimage
    image Steam Power
  • Options

<< <i>For the record, this is the only ID I have, and I am not trolling.

I will not post about the rock tumbler thing anymore, you guys got that through my head finally.

I want to learn more about this hobby, I just would like help with how to deal with this local coin dealer. If you don't believe me I can post his phone number and you can call and talk to him. >>

Perhaps rock collecting would be a better hobby for you.
  • Options

<< <i>For the record, this is the only ID I have, and I am not trolling.

I want to learn more about this hobby, I just would like help with how to deal with this local coin dealer. If you don't believe me I can post his phone number and you can call and talk to him. >>

PLEASE DO! LOL
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is your bust half collection coming along?
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    I took a team of ASE certified mechanics to help me choose a new car at the local dealership, and they threw me out. What gives? image
  • Options
    OK, phone number will be acceptable, what is it, and what's his first name?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I really do want to get along with this dealer, (Mike), he just really chaps my a$$ sometimes. I am thinking about doing some prank calls on him to get him back.

If I post his shop # on some love-connection sites that should fix his wagon.
  • Options

<< <i>How is your bust half collection coming along? >>

I prefer to use aluminum oxide powder in my rock tumbler when shining up my bust halves. Makes 'em look nice and new when viewed under my microscope.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, phone number will be acceptable, what is it, and what's his first name? >>

I Will if you promise not to mention me though? I don't want him any more madder at me than he is. He is the only dealer in my area.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Well, we were due. We've been Troll Free™ for too long.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Can you please stop calling me a Troll?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, phone number will be acceptable, what is it, and what's his first name? >>

I Will if you promise not to mention me though? I don't want him any more madder at me than he is. He is the only dealer in my area. >>

No problem, we don't know your name, and I doubt he knows you as HALF crazy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    No, but if you mention the microscope thing or the buffalo nickel thing he will know who you are talking about. Promise not to bring that up and I will post his phone #
  • Options

<< <i>Can you please stop calling me a Troll? >>

Once you stop acting like one.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Possibly QDB? >>

I'm thinking CarolJ has had one too many today and gone a bit loopy image >>

CU's XMas party and special eggnog started early? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file