Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1973 Topps Baseball fanatics!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Down to my last 8 that I need in 8 or better. If anyone can help, please shoot me an email. Thanks!

347 Royals Team
    362 Eddie Watt
    498 Craig Nettles
    594 Vic Harris
    619 Billy Wilson
    624 Astros Coaches
    654 Twins Team
    655 Clay Kirby

oiljar@aol.com

Steve P.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is bbce's $550 for complete set a good price?

i am considering scooping it up, but wanted validation from you guys, maybe?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Here's a neat article on a 1973 card. This is a very cool site overall as well.

http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/best/corrales.htm
  • Options
    That's one of my favorite cards. It just epitomizes this set for me. And I'm glad this thread came back up to the top as I'm trying to finish my upgrades for my raw '73 set. I'm looking for the following cards raw, in ExMt or better:

1 AARON MAYS RUTH
    2 RICH HEBNER
    100 HANK AARON
    343 BOBBY MURCER BH
    344 JIM HUNTER BH
    367 BURT HOOTON
    494 RICH MORALES
    539 TOM MURPHY
    542 PAT CORRALES
    578 KEN WRIGHT
    614 DWIGHT EVANS
    640 DICK BOSMAN
    641 REDS TEAM
    650 FELIPE ALOU
    655 CLAY KIRBY
    659 JOSE PAGAN
    660 FRED SCHERMAN
  • Options
    I just started a registry set, Bad Photography - 1973 Topps. I love the bad photography and cheesy air bush work!

My goal will be 9's across the board.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm very much looking for Nash, Luzinski and Ozark variation in MINT grade. Will pay handsomely.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have 205 or so PSA 9's and 5 or 6 10's all different including a few of the tough low Pop 9's. A few stars etc. Its #23 on the Registry. Dont have the time or patience to continue. Willing to part with the whole lot at a reasonable price. Email me at rjc012661@aol.com
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    eMail Sent!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    sent out some packs to get slabbed by PSA--just got the results including the following.

3. 1973 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK C.FISK-TOP, J.PALMER-BACK 10

Cannot wait to get it!!
  • Options
    GasPipe what are you looking to get for the whole lot? Phil
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>3. 1973 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK C.FISK-TOP, J.PALMER-BACK 10 >>

Wow! image Please post a scan of that when you get it back!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Check out this card. The entire uniform and cap are air brushed and it's actually quite good compared to most of the '73 air brush jobs. image
  • Options
    So who is this guy? The back of the card says he works for a cable company in the off season. image It looks like he was wearing his cable company polo shirt and they just air brushed a Milwaukee hat on him.

This is why I love the 1973 set.

• Options
    One of many "bad photography" cards. I bet Willie Davis didn't appreciate his 1973 card being an action shot of him striking out.

• Options
    Was Willie striking out in that shot or was Steve Carlton sending him a message?
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    here is a pic of the sweet, and I mean sweet, '73 cello PSA-10 with Fisk on top and Jim Palmer on back! As Dicky V would say--"just awesome, baby!!!"

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Flatfoot, that cello pack is really sweet !

Im looking for the following in PSA 8 or prefereably PSA 9 for my '73 Yankees team set. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

198- Horace Clarke
    314- Ron Swoboda
    394- Sparky Lyle
    419- Casey Cox
    431- Gerry Moses
    498- Graig Nettles
    535- John Callison
    556- Yankees team card
    573- Fred Beene
    608- Rookie pitchers
    616- Rookie pitchers
    650- Felipe Alou
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Anyone have any Los Angeles Dodgers in PSA 9 they need to get rid of? image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Anyone get anything new lately?
  • Options
    Was this photo taken in Tug's backyard? Is that a crutch leaning against the shed?

• Options
    I have a few PSA 10's:

38 Epstein
    74 Champion
    81 Cubs Manager/Orange
    86 McCraw
    91 Dodgers Team
    268 Morales
    329 Kranepool
    389 Mets Team
    411 Corbin
    434 Giants Team
    500 A's Team
    519 Edwards
    521 Braves Team
    522 Cardenas

If anyone has interest, and a fair price in mind, PM me.

For you 1973 experts: how much should these go for, either as a lot or individually?

Thanks
  • Options
    PM Sent
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    I've added scans of two cards here:
  • Options
    The #81 is mis-labeled as an Orange Background, when in fact it is a Natural Background/Tress In Background card.

PSA will replace the label if you return it to them. Or the next owner can take care of the problem. Regardless, it is not listed in the POP Report as an Orange BG PSA 10.

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    Beautiful Cello pack. image

Plus, this thread needed a image
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    Great cello pack!!

Can someone clearly explain to me the differences I should be looking for on #486 Phillies / Danny Ozark between the Orange Background and Pale Background? I'm not sure if I fully understand that differntiation.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great cello pack!!

Can someone clearly explain to me the differences I should be looking for on #486 Phillies / Danny Ozark between the Orange Background and Pale Background? I'm not sure if I fully understand that differntiation. >>

Hi Marc,

It's related to the color of the background in the coaches photos (not the manager, just the coaches).
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am still looking for a 1973 Topps Yankees Team card PSA 9 if anyone knows of one...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Marc,

If you have a look at my 1973 Master Set TGF Collection, I have a scan of both variations of the Phillies Mgr card #486. (Also have most of the other's as well.)

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    MrG and Gemint:

I've seen those scans -- and they just really look to be the same color to me. Am I missing something?

The background color on both of the cards for the four coaches looks decidedly orange in my mind. In fact, the one on top (the Dark Pale one) appears to be orange and the one on bottom appears to be pink...

• Options
    MikeSchmidt,

The big difference with the majority of the Manager/Coaches card variations in 1973 was how & when Topps made the changes to the background in the coaches pictures. As I commented in Kevin Glew's article on the 1973 Topps set, it appears to me that cards were first introduced with a natural background. This is most evident in #49 Twins Frank Quilici where coaches Vern Morgan & Bob Rodgers have trees in the background; #81 Cubs Whitey Lockman where coaches Hank Aguirre and Ernie Banks have people and stadium in the background; #116 Yankees Ralph Houk where Hegan, Howard, and Howser have stadium in the background; #179 A's Dick Williams where Irv Noren has trees in the background. In the balance of the manager/coaches cards: #12 Padres Zimmer; #131 Red Sox Kasko; #136 Orioles Weaver; #237 Braves Mathews; #252 Giants Fox; #257 Mets Berra; #449 Indians Aspromonte; #486 Phillies Ozark; #517 Pirates Virdon there was not any visable features in the background behind the coaches heads. (Recently the #421 Angels Manager card was included in the variation list at PSA, however it has been in the SCD & Beckett list for some time.) In all of these manager cards, the coaches background was of a brown-orangey tint.

Someone at Topps must not have been fond of these background differences, so all of the backgrounds were removed from behind the coaches, and the cards were reprinted with a more orange background. It is my contention that all of the manager/coaches cards were improved, however there is still no listing at PSA, SCD, or Beckett of background variations for #296 Reds, #323 Tigers, #356 White Sox, #377 Expos, #497 Cardinals, #549 Rangers, #569 Dodgers, #593 Royals, #624 Astros, #646 Brewers. It is also my contention, that a second modification was done to a few of these cards, because the first modification removed some of the coaches ears, hats, face, etc. Case in point is my previous post in this thread regarding the #179 A's Dick Williams card, and #257 Mets Yogi Berra card.

To really answer your question of orange vs. pink vs. brown, it is more difficult on some cards than on others. The #486 was probably very close to borderline for inclusion in the variation list. The manager cards above, that were not listed as having variations, actually are very similiar to the #486 card. It is not until you have 40-50 raw examples of each, do you really see the difference in the printing defects. This is a challenge I might tackle if I ever get anywhere with the obvious visible differences in the #179 & #257 cards.

MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this set is underrated. It has a nice mix of HOFers and rookie cards and contains Willie Mays' last regular card. It also has a heavy dose of cool action photos. Although not the best design Topps ever had, it still holds its own. Here are some highlights from my set which was built from a high grade raw set and a high grade partial set, both purchased off eBay several years ago.

• Options
    Wow. Nice, tough cards. High grade indeed.
  • Options
    Awsome cards. Thanks for posting. As you can imagine, I regard this set as underrated also.
  • Options
    Time for another image

This card has recently been added into my TGF Collection Basic and Master sets of 1973
    Topps Baseball! The only card in the set, never to achieve PSA 9, is now a 1 of 1!

Only 32 more required in the Master set, 23 more in the Basic set! Anyone that can assist
    with cards that will achive my goal of PSA 9 or better, please review the sets listed in my
    sig line, and send an email or PM. I will pay a good amount for cards that I still require!

Signed with an extreme amount of gloating included.image
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    Awesome Wilson card!

One of the toughest cards of the '70s.

Congrats!
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    Pic from an ebay auction.

Is this guy anywhere near a baseball field? It looks like he wandered out of the woods just in time for his photo shoot.

• Options

<< <i>Pic from an ebay auction.

Is this guy anywhere near a baseball field? It looks like he wandered out of the woods just in time for his photo shoot.

image >>

It also appears that the curvature of the earth is visible image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I was looking at the blue team checklist for the A's and according to it, card #374 should be Pitcher Darold Knowles, but it is actually Darrell Evans with the Braves.

Does anyone know if Knowles appears on a card in 73?

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    bak428bak428 Posts: 49 ✭✭

Yes,

Knowles is #274
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>With the centering on this card, what do you think this would grade? It is off top to bottom.

I am also looking to complete a second raw set of 1973 I am 57 cards short. If anyone is interested in trading please let me know. I have posted my want list on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. Thank you!

image >>

Here is a Lloyd Allen OPC example:

rd

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    Man, OPC needed to sharpen their cutter once in awhile.
  • Options
    Probably a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for the following raw '73s in ExMt+ for my set:

1 - Aaron/Mays/Ruth
    578 - Ken Wright
    614 - Dwight Evans
    641 - Reds Team
    650 - Felipe Alou

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    Photo from ebay.

Man, they couldn't even get the player photo correct. Another classic card from the 73 set.

• Options
    Just picked this one up.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I have a short list of ~20 cards i need to upgrade from a raw set i am building, but I have a long list w/ ~50-75 cards that need upgrading also.

I would love to trade some of my '69 topps master set off for some raw or graded cards. I am primarily seeking commons, but need a few HOF cards.

Thanks
    Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    1973 Baseball Collectors,

Firstly, much apologies for the SPAM. I am looking for the below cards in PSA 9 or better to help complete my 1973 Master set. I will pay $$$ or I can help you grow your set with my 300+ duplicates!

# : PLAYER NAME : VARIATION

01 : RUTH/AARON/MAYS
    20 : STAN BAHNSEN : GAP
    31 : BUDDY BELL : GAP
    49 : TWINS MGR. : ORANGE BACKGROUND/TREES MISSING IN BACKGROUND
    131 : RED SOX MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/LENHARDT RIGHT EAR SHOWING
    131 : RED SOX MGR. : ORANGE BACKGROUND/LENHARDT RIGHT EAR NOT SHOWING
    136 : ORIOLES MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/HUNTER RIGHT EAR SHOWING
    179 : ATHLETICS MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/NOREN TREES IN BACKGROUND
    183 : DON BUFORD
    193 : CARLTON FISK
    220 : NOLAN RYAN
    237 : BRAVES MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/BURDETTE EAR SHOWING
    247 : DEL UNSER
    257 : METS MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/DARK PALE BACKGROUND
    257 : METS MGR. : ORANGE BACKGROUND/WALKER EAR SHOWING
    259 : JIM HOLT
    278 : ORIOLES TEAM
    418 : BOBBY GRICH
    421 : ANGELS MGR. : DARK PALE BACKGROUND
    449 : INDIANS MGR. : BROWN BACKGROUND/SPAHN'S EAR ROUND
    453 : CHECKLIST 397-528
    498 : GRAIG NETTLES
    504 : EARL WILLIAMS : GAP
    534 : DAVE LEMONDS
    535 : JOHN CALLISON
    555 : BILL HANDS
    561 : JIM GEDDES
    572 : GARY SUTHERLAND
    588 : CHECKLIST 529-660
    604 : ROOKIE PITCHERS
    608 : ROOKIE PITCHERS
    609 : ROOKIE 2ND BASEMEN

Cheers,
    Michael (MrG)

PM or Email Me at TGF_Sports@Comcast.Net
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    wow a Mr G sighting!!!

where are you living (cough -cough) these days old chap....

got any group rips up your sleeve?