Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The CU forum, the BST, and the "Circle of Trust"

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just like Robert Dinero in the movie "Meet the Parents", the CU forum has a "circle of trust". After having conversations, experiences, and transactions with fellow members, you enter the circle. LucyBop has been criticized by one member in another short thread, and the forum rallied around her, as she is well-known and established here (and elsewhere), clearly beyond reproach. She is firmly planted in the circle. On the other hand, WingedLiberty, who was previously in the circle, was kicked out of the circle for non-payment for coins to various members. He previously enjoyed the privilege of being in the "circle".

I had an interesting recent experience as a buyer for my type set. A newbie seller (fewer than 100 posts here) was offering a coin that I wanted. It was for $50. He does not know me, and I do not know him. He told me that if I paid by check, the check would be held until it cleared. It cracked me up because, perhaps mistakenly, I consider myself to be in the "circle", and he is outside the circle. I felt like saying, "You are new here. I am in the "circle". I will send you a check if you deliver the coin." Alas, for a $50 transaction, I do not care that much, and I am happy to help bring a newbie member into the forum fold.

P.S. I regularly ship coins under $100 to forum members before their funds are received, let alone checks cleared, etc. But only those in the "circle". image

Edit in 2009 for spelling error. image

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I would grab that punk by the scruff of the neck, and say in my best Elmer Fudd voice, "I am RYK, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht."
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>
    It cracked me up because, perhaps mistakenly, I consider myself to be in the "circle", and he is outside the circle. >>

Perhaps you each just are in different circles that have just not merged yet. He is not in yours and you are not in his. I know I am in several coin forum 'circles of trust' but am pretty sure I would not be considered in this one as I have not transacted hardly at all here. And, of course, vice-versa. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I generally only deal with circle people. image I like being in the circle.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I am, mostly, a lurker. I also deal in higher end and more expensive coins. I mention that because I would send a coin out immediately to anyone here who is a reqular. I cannot imagine anyone who is part of this group trying anything funny on a purchase or trade.

"Circle of Trust"... I like that.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Realistically, a newbie can't be expected to know who is trusted. It's generally accepted that people pay first, then get the item. You're absolutely right that there are a number of members here who are trusted, but we can't impose that on people who are new.

Nonetheless, it should be very reassuring that new members can ask for references prior to a transaction and get reliable information.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Welcome "hobbyist!". I put that in quotation marks as this CU "newbee" is very well known in a couple of other circles- under a different ID. He coordinates a smaller, friendly BBS and is active in at least one other online "neighborhood". If you have a question about military challange coins-he's your man. This place is like the "big city"- lots of interesting folks and cultural activitties around, but one must "watch one's back" here (or have others who cover it for you). I "know" RYK only from his posts-but one can not only learn quite abit about coins from them.I have no idea what RYK looks like, but I feel I know a bit about RYK. I'm fairly well known in one of "hobbyists" smalltown neighborhoods, but after 6 months, still getting established here.
    Online communities are interesting. I missed the attack to which RYK refers, but if it has to do with Frankies or the 50s, one had best not question Lucy's judgement!
    Don
  • Options
    I would grab that punk by the scruff of the neck, and say in my best Elmer Fudd voice, "I am RYK, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht."

If I told him that, he would know that I am trying to stiff him.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"I am RYK, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht." >>

Dang, mammograms must be treating you well.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Dang, mammograms must be treating you well.

Mammograms? No way. Try Breast MR. image
  • Options
    Breast Massage Regime?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine who would be "offended" by EITHER a check clearance policy OR an "approval" or COC policy.
    I doubt EVERY poster is aware of the proper "circles."

Jeez, it's goofy when good business practices are questioned.

What is it that makes some think that others should follow an "accepted" practice?

This isn't a "pay to subscribe" forum for dealers who are EXPECTED to "trust" each other. When I was on Autex trading system my closest .....ALMOST.......... loss was to a VERY active dealer who stiffed EVERYONE. My check cleared .......TWENTY MINUTES......before his bank closed his account. Bullion deal for $20,000

There are some, in fact....MOST on here that I would trust for pay. But I can't see worrying if someone follows a DIFFERENT drummer.
  • Options
    As you can tell, I haven't been around the forum for very long so I doubt that I have entered many circles here. I have done some business with a couple of members and would hope that they found those transactions completely above board and pain free. As a newbie, it is sometimes hard to tell from posts who can be trusted and who may not be so reliable. But, from what I have seen here, most members are above board. I hope that I can earn the right to be "In The Circle" someday. image

Neo...
  • Options
    Hi,

Breast MR is a fabulous technology, congrats!
    Calypso
  • Options
    How do you know if you are in the circle?
  • Options

If you have to ask...image
  • Options
    Breast Massage Regime?

Please don't tease the stiffy.
  • Options
    I'm sure I'm not in a circle,but I'm honest.

I'd trust anyone I see posting here regularly.
  • Options
    I am hip to the circle concept; it is just another form of dues paying.

NGs are (IMHO) lousey places to advertise.

If buying, I have no problem with the seller acertaining that my funds are good before shipping. How fast I get a coin is dependant on how I pay. There are bigger issues out there to kill people over.

No, I would never ever kill anyone.

Unless they really pissed me off!!

• Options
    I've been in a circle before............but we didn't call it a " Circle of Trust"

mind you I've never been the pivet man.image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I've been in a circle before............but we didn't call it a " Circle of Trust"

mind you I've never been the pivet man.image

Herb >>

imageInformation overloadimage

• Options

Why, the secret handshake, of course!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I am officially applying for membership into the Circle o' Trust™.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Sorry, myqqy, but you have to be asked, you cannot apply. Fortunately, you are already a member. image
  • Options
    I thought it was a square......I have been in the wrong shape all these years!!!!!

Maybe I need to diet? image
  • Options
    Oh well another well known group Im not a member of !!!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you know if you are in the circle? >>

Look for a soda cracker on the ground in front of you.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Huey Lewis had it all wrong then, if it's a cricle of trust, then it can't be hip to be square. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    Is the Circle of Trust posted somewhere or is it just expected that new member will automatically know who can be trusted and who can't?

There are dozens of people who I'd do business with on a trust basis, no questions asked, because I have been around long enough to know who is well-respected and who isn't. To a new member, however, we are all strangers.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    I PM'ed Wayne Herndon about a coin on eBay. He made me a much better offer on price, I accepted, he closed the auction, said he was putting the coin int the mail and to "just send a check." I just about broke a leg getting the check written and in the mail, because there was no way I was going to delay getting him his money, especially since he put his trust in me. It's easy getting into the "circle," but VERY easy getting back on the outside, and my reputation is too important to me.

Cartwheel
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    I've done minor deals and received assistance from members of the "Circle of Trust" (I haven't screwed anyone yet). Does that get me any closer to an invitation? image

When I see items on the BST board from respected members of the forum I check them out first and I don't dink around with nickel and diming them either. I figure that they've earned their respect for a reason and it's probably not for jacking people around with garbage coins and high prices. On the other hand I won't even bid on Russ's auctions because his prices are sky high (I guess that's a true measure of how to run good auctions).

Millertime
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in a circle before............but we didn't call it a " Circle of Trust" >>

With everyone seated holding a ....REDBOOK???
    Oh, that's just sick.
  • Options

<< <i>I've done minor deals and received assistance from members of the "Circle of Trust" (I haven't screwed anyone yet). Does that get me any closer to an invitation? image

When I see items on the BST board from respected members of the forum I check them out first and I don't dink around with nickel and diming them either. I figure that they've earned their respect for a reason and it's probably not for jacking people around with garbage coins and high prices. On the other hand I won't even bid on Russ's auctions because his prices are sky high (I guess that's a true measure of how to run good auctions).

Millertime >>

Can't tell if that was tongue in cheek, and he can certainly talk for himself, but when I've bid/won lots in Russ's auctions, seems they started at 0.99 or soimageAnyway, I don't think ebay auctions are germane to the discussion.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I mainly just go in circles....
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

<< <i>Is the Circle of Trust posted somewhere or is it just expected that new member will automatically know who can be trusted and who can't?

<< <i>

I'm kinda a newbie, but after reading the Forum for a couple of weeks you kinda know, who you can trust and who is in the circle---- in getting "great" information from.

and once again I say "THANK ALL OF YOU !!! " Your better than any book I have ever bought.

Terri Jo image
    Still Learning.
  • Options
    Could someone loan me $1,000,000 so I could join the Circle of Trust™...I'm good for it...really image
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've done minor deals and received assistance from members of the "Circle of Trust" (I haven't screwed anyone yet). Does that get me any closer to an invitation? image

Millertime >>

Can't tell if that was tongue in cheek, and he can certainly talk for himself, but when I've bid/won lots in Russ's auctions, seems they started at 0.99 or soimageAnyway, I don't think ebay auctions are germane to the discussion. >>

All I meant is that I think Russ is a highly respected member of this forum and that also carries over to his eBay auctions. His auctions are top notch (both in merchandise and layout) and the ending prices reflect that.

Millertime
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well after what I have got myself into this week and weekend we are going to see just how good this "Circle of Trust" is.

Ken
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your post begs the question; am I in or out... Hmmm mabey I don't want to knowimage
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a "Circle of Trust" mentioned in Dante's "Inferno"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I refuse to be a member of any club that would consider me for membership..........

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    "Circle of Trust" not to be confused with "in crowd", "clique", "have's" (vs "have not's"), "secret society", "snobs", "good ol' boys", etc.. People outside the circle should understand that it's not an exclusive club or anything. It's just that you're either in or you're out. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    This is quite an amusing thread. I'm having a good chuckle thinking about all the folks here wondering whether they are in or out.image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send me a rare coin and I'll let you know if I'm in or not...image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Your post begs the question; am I in or out... Hmmm mabey I don't want to knowimage >>

imageOh i think you are in Chris......
  • Options
    << Your post begs the question; am I in or out... Hmmm mabey I don't want to know >>

Oh i think you are in Chris......

WL, how would you know? image

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for that damn soda cracker.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Fortunately, you are already a member.

Sweet!! imageimageimageimageimage

Seriously though, I find myself having a lot of trust in the regulars around here- even Russ has been very helpful to me!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I've been in the circle even before there was a circle here.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I'm still looking for that damn soda cracker>>

What if its a fake soda cracker??image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file