Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

70's Football Collectors thread

I thought I would start a thread for the 1970's football collectors out there.

any interest??

Comments

• Options
    Right now the only '70's set I am working is 1976 Topps. When I finish, I'm going to try and tackle the '72 Topps set. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I have a few 70's sets; some I am working on more than others, currently #3 in the 77 set, also am in the hunt on the 73 and 75 sets. Want to start a 78 and 74 soon ! Just ordered an unopened 78 box from BBCExchange this morning.

• Options
    That 72 set is a hoss, What was it about 72 that made topps want to make such huge sets?image

• Options
    I'm actively working on '78 in PSA 9, and much less actively working on '73 also in PSA 9. Currently the #1 1970 set, but I don't expect that to last long.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    YEs, vineyard I have noticed you in a couple of the registries, you have some nice sets. What are some things to look for as far as the 78 set is concerned?? centering ?

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Centering on the 78's is brutal, mostly due to the thin white borders. I bought a box several years ago and 85+% were o/c including all the stars except Payton which graded an 8. Commons are so cheap that I've been slowly picking up PSA 9 commons for $3 each.

I just received my latest submission of 1971's. With these, I'll be at over 25% complete with a GPA of slightly under 8. I have around 20 PSA 7's - is anyone interested?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Greg, what kind of box was it? (vending, wax)?
    Also, I have an off topic question for you, Seeing that you have cracked some 2005 football I was wondering if you had come across any Brandon Jacobs rc's? I know it's not a household name yet but I am a Giants fan and really like the way the guy is looking. If you have any and want to sell them let me know, Thanks !image

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I am working on 72 right now and then 78 in a few months. I am almost at 70% for 1972. I really like 1977 and 1974. Just need to focus on 72 and 78 now.
  • Options
    That is a problem I have also, after a certain period of time I get tired going after the same old cards week after week, so I have to start something new figuring I can always go back and upgrade or finish the set later.image

• Options
    Always looking for 1971 Kellogg's football in PSA 7, 8, 9, or 10....
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    74 Topps is where its at for me!!!! 96.40% and 2 years in the making. This one has been twice as hard as the 1974 baseball set. As a matter of fact, I think I will be the first to complete the 1974 football set at 100%. Long hard road.....but very fun. I may start a second set!

Ken
  • Options
    Nice Sideplate. 96% is just outstanding.

You think the 74 is hard, try the 1977 Topps
    Mexican football. I am at just 30% and a 7
    set is my goal.

I would like to thank greg m for sending 2 blazing
    singles of the 77 mexican.

At least I dont have Mosh on my rear or a ahead of me
    like all the other 70's football sets. I would love to see him/them
    try and catch me. The mexicans are brutal.
    Good luck everyone Don
    Always looking for 1977 topps Mexican Football. Packs and boxes. Need cards #21 and #404 bad $.
  • Options
    It was a vending box off E-Bay. Good luck w/ the box. I'll take a look and see if I have any Brandon Jacob cards.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    OK, I give. Explain the 77 Topps Mexican football set to me. I thought football in Mexico was soccer? What is the history behind the Mexican set? Do you have any scans?

Ken
  • Options
    Sideplates, I have long since admired your 74 set. And may I offically say that i entered the 74 fray this week with a 74 gene upshaw mint 9 I got off e-bay for 15 bucks. I wasnt going to start my 74 set till next year, but I thought that was a great price so I got it and will hold it back with a few other future purchases for the begining of my 74 set next year.

image here's to sideplates-king of 74 football

• Options
    By the way sideplates are you from tennessee?image

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Current #1 76 Topps FB
    All-Time #5 72 Topps FB
    Current #5 70 Topps FB Glossy
    Current #5 70 Topps FB

Most people do not realize how much harder FB can be over the BB counterparts.

Great thread, I hope we all can share some knowledge and help each others sets.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    The only 70's football that I'm working on currently is 70's Kellogg's. I completed the set but am upgrading my 9's to 10's.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Rob ,I have some 70 Super GLossy that have been setting in my closet for years they look brand new if I ever get the time im going to send them in. Something I have wondered about that particular set is, what color are the backs supposed to be? Most of mine look to be an off white color , and I thought that may be because of age, or are they suppposed to be that color? Most of mine are centered perfect something I here that is difficult to find in that set.

• Options
    Tennesseebanker: Yep, I'm a middle Tennessee guy. Thanks for the beer to my set. I will be drinking a lot of beer the day I finish it.

RobBob: I have many times wondered why the football is so much harder than the baseball. I think most of it has to do with the lack of participation in the football, thus less cards get graded. I'm not sure if Topps made as many cards in the other sports as they did in baseball. Maybe someone here could shed some light on the production numbers in the different sports. I am nearing completion on the 1974 Hockey and Basketball as well, and both have been much more challenging than the baseball.

Ken
  • Options
    Sideplates ;if you ever get across to Jackson, look me up and we will do some tradin-TB

• Options
    Card of the Day ! for the 70's football thread

• Options
    Nice card TennBanker. I have PSA 10 of it and I'm not so sure yours isn't as good.
  • Options
    i wish, it has a big gum stain on the back, you wouldnt happen to have any extra 9's laying around a guy could buy cheap could ya ?image

• Options
    what cards do you need to complete the 74 ??

• Options
    I need 19 more cards. Although some of these are at PSA now for grading:

62,153,171,241,257,283,337,365,368,406,414,424,429,434,441,448,454,487 and 494.

By the way. I do have a lot of PSA extras with some 9's. They are all in the "Ken's Extras" set on the registry. They are all for sale of trade. If anyone can help me with any of these 19, I will get REAL appreciative on price.
  • Options
    I will certainly be on the lookout for ya ! What grade would you want them to be in ?

I may make you an offer on some of your extras....

• Options
    The 1977 Topps Mexican football has the exact same
    528 U.S. Player photos and numbering. The fronts and
    backs were all translated to spanish. The cards came
    2 or 4 cards to a pack and were only realesed in Mexico.
    It did not catch on at all and Topps quit production after
    one year. This set is a major challange because of gum stains
    wax stains, centering and roller marks. Over 1000 singles have
    been graded by Psa only 5 9;s!!! Last I heard there were only 6 complete sets
    and to make one in 7 to 8 condition is my goal. I have been working on this set
    for over 5 years. Just started the grading of it in the last month.

Always looking for 1977 topps Mexican Football. Packs and boxes. Need cards #21 and #404 bad $.
  • Options
    I need anything that would grade 7 or above. If its already in a PSA holder, it just can not have a qualifier ( hate those things). I am definitely interested in raw cards that might make a 7 or higher. Those last few cards are hard. I have literally thousands of raw 74 football cards, many from vending boxes, and due to centering I have had no luck with those 19. The cards I have at PSA now will probably come back as 7's. Just fillers until I find better cards. But man would I love to see that 100% next to my set!!!!!!!
  • Options
    OK Don,

That is a REAL challenge. I think I would get frustrated with that one. If you ever get it complete it will be priceless.
  • Options
    I have a 73 set going most came from personal grades rest from bottom feeding in 2 years i am at about a little over 75% still needing almost 100 cards.
    I have always done 60,s sets so this monster is a undertaking i was not prepared for have over 400 cards and still needing almost 100 makes me beg for my 60,s sets again.
    You guys can keep these moster sets i dont know how the baseball guys do it.
    My set is listed as #2 right now under 73 football skinsfan take a peek if you care to as i dont think it will stay together long when im done ,it will hit the blocks quick i think.
    Well maybe ill keep the REDSKINS image
  • Options
    I've got a number of 70's football sets started on the SGC registry. I agree that football seems to be much harder than baseball. Recently, I've picked up a bunch of 70's football in trades are very very few were worthy of grading.
  • Options
    Skinsfan, If you ever do decide to break up your 73 set let me know. Currently I think I am about # 8 on the registry under Koffmans 73 set. Good Luck on the completion.

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I think I remember reading a quote from Sy Berger that Topps typically produced about 25% as much football as baseball. For the 70's, I'd be willing to bet there is even less then 1/4 as much football as baseball around, because when the hobby took off in the 80's football was considered junk. And expecially football that had been produced in the preceding decade.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've been toying with the idea of doing 71, 72, or 73, or 69. 1973 seems like it could be the toughest in the long run because it's so much larger than the others. When I first started almost 2 years ago, there were very few 1973s graded at all, and 1972 was the king. Now there's fairly heavy involvement in all 1970s sets. Aesthetically more than anything the 73s appealed to me. I don't know why, but i just like the ribbon scheme, and lots of great photos to be had, especially the horizontals like the Butkus.

I read somewhere in an interview with Berger also that they produced a lot more baseball than the other three sports combined up through the 80s. Football I'd have to imagine was the largest of that segment by a good bit.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Does anyone else have trouble finding a good site to buy 70's football from ? Most of the sites out there are either high % baseball sites,very, very expensive or have no football at all. Thats why I usually buy off ebay or unopened stuff from BBCExchange. If there is a football site out there with reasonable prices please post it. Thanks...

• Options
    patiently waiting on my 78 vending box from BBCExchange, When I get it I'll be sure to let you guys know the results as well as post the gems.imageimage

• Options
    As a side note it looks like My unopened purchases will have to drop off dramatically.

My wife and I are expecting our second child, I just found out last night !!image

• Options
    Does anyone have any 74 Wonder Bread ? What do these cards even look like ? Are they similar to thier 76 counterparts ? I hardly ever see any of these cards, There isnt even a set listed under the registry.image

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not found a site that sells 70's football at a reasonable price.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Congrats on the great news!!! My wife and I are adopting soon - we should be in China by the end of the year!! By the way, I just bought a complete 1973 set from BBC Exchange for $300 dlvd. The Ham looks like a blazer. The only HOF rookie that I have from that set is a PSA 8 Langer. I'm hoping the other 5 are in decent condition.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    thanks greg, I may have to live vicarously through your unopened purchases for a while.

Great price on the 73 ! What condition was it listed at?
    I havent seen Steve list a 73 set, is it something he just got or has had for a while ?

• Options
    Since the thread is kind of dead today I thought I would start a poll on the toughest set of 70's football to get centered. Now we all know that any set from the 70's is tough on centering, which is the toughest ?

Im going with the 74 and 71 sets

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Tough question TB.

I have a vending box from 71 that has about 300 cards left in it that are just grossly off center. I have a few raw 74 sets and a vending box and I can't figure out the centering. The problem is that if it is just a little off, the eye appeal IMO gets shot.

I think the 74 is tougher
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Zef, I think you hit it, the 71's seem to be more of a miscut due to quality issues. The 74's with the goalposts running up and down the side make the smallest off center cut look horrible.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    74, hands down.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I would say 74 because of the goal posts make us look for dead nutz centereing but 1972 has been tough for me out of the packs I have bought in the past 3 years. You get maybe one 50-50 in a pack. The rest are 70/30 or worse.

• Options
    it's raining here like Noah is in town, I sure hope my 78 vending isnt setting at my doorstep soakingimage

• Options
    TB,

Steve listed it on his website just before I went down. I finally broke down and bought it. He listed it as NM+ and he sent me a scan of the Ham, Franco, Stabler, Shell and a couple of others. Most looked in the NM range but the Ham looks to be a blazer. For whatever reason, 73's and 74's have eluded me so far. I only started to collect 70's fb heavily within the past year. I finally got the rest of my 71's graded - I added them to my set. Out of nearly 70 cards, I got 1 9, 40 or so 8's and 25 or so 7's. Not too bad - but I've decided to stick w/ only 8's and up. Is anyone interested in a nice starter lot of 1971 PSA 7's...around 30 in total?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    74's and even 79's. I agree that 74's are tough because of the small borders - even a card centered 60/40 will appear worse because of this. For whatever reason, I have had a terrible time trying to find centered 79's (plus free of printing defects). I still can't find a nice Newsome rc!!!

Regards,

Greg M.

References: