Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Numismatic Fantasies

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Coin Genie™ arrives at your door and offers you one of the following numismatic fantasies (Open Forumites, please keep your clothes on, we are talking about coins image ). Which do you choose?

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Number 6. I've always felt it useful to have attainable fantasies.
  • Options
    CCU, I do not know. All of these are possible. Isn't there a non-profit Make-A-(Coin)Wish™ organization?

Edit, okay, #5 is outlandish, and poker with HRH and GM is slightly less impossible.
  • Options
    I misread # 4...I am dyslexicimage
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 is close, but the fantasy is to be able to keep it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Lunch, with a walking wealth of information (Q.D.B.), would be cool.image

Question is...How much info. could I possibly absorb during a mere 2 hour lunch?

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I choose #8. David has always been a nice helpful guy to the hobby. In fact I emailed him a few times and he was more than willing to respond with help to my questions. The guy was so nice that he even included me in his Coin World column a few months back. To sit and talk with him some more, but even in person, would be way cool.

BTW, excellent thread idea and defiently poll of the year IMO. I can't wait to read the other responses.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Had to go with number 4, since then I could find out where Marty gets all his coins from and then cherrypick them first image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    All my sense tells me to do lunch with QDB. But I couldn't help myself, I voted Cammie.image
  • Options
    #5 is certainly intriguing--the fascination of the abomination and all that. On the other hand, watching Otis try to referee between Gereg and HRH might be entertaining also. What to do, what to do! I just can't decide!
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    #5. Cause chicks dig guys who talk coins.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Poker night could get very interesting if you follow me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4. A weekend romp to virgin midwestern coin shops with Mad Marty. >>

Why does he have to come along?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh! So close. But none of them alone quite does it for me, so allow me to pick and choose......

I would require:

1) The owner of a 1913 nickel
    2) A Trading-Card
    3) Martha Stewart
    4) a Virgin Marty (PCGS koolaid mixed with tomato juice)
    5) Cameron’s evil twin
    6) a camera
    7) a deck of PCGS playing cards, (1 king, and 51 jokers)
    8) a BBQ lunch
    9) and a spear

I won’t go any further than that, but the pictures would be worth the trouble. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Had to go #6 because I would love to have excellent pics of my coins.image
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    I have to go with #1 (1913 Nickel or any other Ultra Rarity)

It would be fun to walk up to a dealer or collector friend and say, guess what I have in my pocket or say you won't believe the new coin I picked up. He'd say, what is it?? I say, oh it's just a 1913 Nickel and he'd say, ya right!!! Then I'd pull it out and show it to him and his jaw would hit the ground. Then continue on to your other friends before the buzz got out about the 1913 Nickel on the floor and who the person was that had it.
    Years later the dealers would tell the story to young numismtists about the time this guy walked up to the table with a 1913 Nickel. The young numismatists would never believe the story thinking the dealer was full of it and just giving them a line of @#$%.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I think you can divide the choices into three broad categories:

I. Ego

Carrying the 1913 Lib nickel for a week and besting LMS

II. An experience that would enrich you as a collector

Lunch with QDB, silver dollar study with Cardinal and TDN, cherrypicking lessons from Marty, photography tips

III. Sheer absurdity

Poker night, Cameron and the Twins, SB in pocket change

I chose lunch with QDB because in addition to the "enrichment experience", it would be pretty cool and something to talk to collecting friends about for years to come.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

ROFL.

But I'd have to watch the CamMan try to put the numismatic moves on the Olsen twins. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt, lunch with QDB.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HRH kicks my butt in poker, but I'm a masochist so I chose it anyway. image

My numismatic fantasy would be to visit and view either the Stellar Collection or the Pogue Collection.
  • Options
    Q DAVID FOR ME
    GRUMPY OLD MAN
  • Options
    I must say I am surprised that the Cameron selection is currently #2. I almost did not include it (since the Olsen sisters, so far as we know, do not lurk on this forum).
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I've had dinner twice with QD Bowers at auctions. Close call since I played poker for a living in AC for 3 years and I want my money back from a certain dealer. But basically I figure the grading session on dollars with Cardinal makes me the most $ long term so that's the choice--- as long as TDN buys lunch!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My serious answer was a toss-up between "TDN-Cardinal show and tell", and lunch with Bowers.

TDN-Cardinal "won" because they would have coins for me to look at and talk about.

Me alone with Dave Bowers would likely bore him into a coma. Put us in the ANA museum instead, and I'm all his. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    GMarguli and HomeRunHall playing poker!!!!!image It would be more like a boxing match.image #2 would be fascinating. But, #4 or 5 would be entertaining needless to say!image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lunch thing would be cool but I have no "coin" buddies to share such an experience with so as a Lincoln guy at heart I voted for #3.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I must go with #1... and then the fantasy would end with me walking out the door and driving home only to realize it's still in my pocket. imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    TDN and Cardinal, of course.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Numismatic Fantasies"

I don't have numismatic fantasies, how about fantasies that include females not on coins?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Numismatic Fantasies"

I don't have numismatic fantasies, how about fantasies that include females not on coins? >>

Sorry, Steve-- that would be too normal.

I'll take door #2.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>

Why does he have to come along?

Russ, NCNE >>

Apparently I am just outside his normal travel radius ... which could be a good thing except that there seems to be some overlap in the St Louis area ... oh well ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    I voted Lunch with QDB, but in retrospect, I should have probably voted for Silver Dollars with the Experts or Photography Session and Tips . Without an agenda, lunch with a luminary like QDB might be a waste of his time and my time. Not having the "gift of the gab", I fear that we might spend most of the time staring at our salad plates. The Silver Dollar day would at least allow me to see a lot of cool coins and learn from the experts. I could really use the help with my photography, and it would be terrific to have one or more of the experts photograph my collection.
  • Options
    Stay tuned for Numismatic Fantasies: Part Deux. If anyone thinks these are too silly, please say so. image
  • Options
    I want #2 AND #6. Both of these are too good to pass up. Number 8 is right behind.

...AlaBill
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Lunch with you and QDB. Two hours, not much food, and nothing to do but talk coins.

Defnitely have a major buffet.

Can't talk coins on an empty stomach!

And don't forget dessert! image

Tomimage

• Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    I went for #2.
  • Options
    RYK - sorry to trample on your trademark. I just now saw this thread after posting
    my "3 numismatic wishes" thread. image

In any case, I voted #6 - my photos are getting better, but would love to learn the tricks
    of a few others here.

If, in #5 I could have been in the same room with Cameron and the Olsen twins, I may
    have gone that route! image

Ken
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    #4 image

Edit to add: Oh yeah, would also have to take LegendLaura's Credit Card/Checkbook with me image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about seeing a nekkid Shania Twain holding a 1804 silver dollar?

That's my numismatic fantasy.

Awww, WTF, I could care a less about the 1804 dollar at that point.
  • Options
    A rendition of #5: Being with the Olsen Twins at a coin show and show all you guys that they would like me if they met me.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Cam, we are discussing fantasies, not delusions. image
  • Options
    image Gotcha!

Then.... Ashley bringing me box after box of coins to grade at workimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I voted for #4 only cause I did not see the option with Megan Fox wearing only a 1/10 oz AGE belly ring image

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Dig 'um up, brush 'um off, and bring 'um back to
    the first page for another run!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    So who are the 3 losers who wanna take a stroll with me in the windy city anyway?

Edited to ask: And how did I even get on that poll when RYK's last edit was in 2005?image
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I consider myself a collector more than a numismatist, hence the lunch was the clincher, QDB.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I want to find a bunch of forgotten 1933 Saints hiding in Grandpa's stuff in the attic.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without a doubt, lunch with QDB. >>

Agree but only if it includes drinks and QDB is picking up the tab.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm retired again, this time for good. image

Sooooon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file