Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will be your greatest numismatic event of 2005?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fact, forecast or fantasy. Let's hear it.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    Finding a Beat 1802 Half-Dime in a junk bin! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Deciding weather or not to bring a sleeping bag to the NYINC.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Tough call. If I make it to my first ANA this coming July, that would probably be it. I've lived all my life waiting for the ANA to come local, and now that I've moved away from the Bay Area after living there for nearly 37 years, it finally gets there while I'm old enough to appreciate it (and spend money there). At least I have family local to the event, and I could probably spend a few days with them to save money for more coins. If I can get them to drive me to a BART station, so much the better -- no rental car and STILL more money for coins!

If I don't make it there, the biggest event will likely be completing my IHC collection with the acquisition of an XF/AU 1909-S. There will likely be larger purchases in 2005, but perhaps none more meaningful.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My own website and the liquidation of a 40+ year collection.image
    Larry

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Probably completing negotiations to bring a major collection to the market.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Finally seeing and getting that ______ ______ for my own collection!

Tomimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Attending the FUN show in Fort Lauderdale next month. That will be the "event of the year 2005" for me.

Finding the missing Barber Halves to complete my set in AU 55 - 58 will be the highlight to the FUN show !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Making the first PCGS PR69DCAM Accented Hair Kennedy Half.

(Of course, I was hoping that would be my greatest event in 2004).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Making the first PCGS PR69DCAM Accented Hair Kennedy Half.

Russ, NCNE >>

When I saw you were the last to post... I knew it was gonna be "PR69DCAM AH"

So... my (fantasy) greatest Numismatic event, besides the 1802 Half-Dime thing....... is to piss off Russ, Marty, Don, and Ken, and make PhillyJoe EXTREMELY happy, by making the first PCGS PR69DCAM AH Kennedy Half! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    After yet another strident flamewar over classical vs. modern, large numbers of Litesiders decide they can't stand it any more and emigrate en masse to the Dark Side! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Enter the top 20 if not the top 10 in MS Kennedys. And try to gain a few steps closer to edson on The proof Kennedys.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    Buying an early gold coin. Mmmmm ... early gold ...
  • Options
    Buying a nice original toned proof cameo seated half/dollar with the money I have been saving up for around 8 months.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling off a BUNCH of stuff. Well, not a bunch, but most.

Only keeping a few very special coins.

Was reminded today of just how much of a "game" this hobby has become.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Onlyroosies will buy a coin with eye appeal!!!!!!!!!!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting together a Registry set of gem circulation strike Lincoln Memorials.
  • Options
    RYK,

You forgot this icon: image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>What will be your greatest numismatic event of 2005? >>

Unloading some of the junk I've amassed without taking a loss. May not be within the realm of possibility...
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    Ok... my serious answer... image

Complete a die state progression set of the 1831 Obverse 1 die image Hoping to have it finished by FUN 2006, so I might be able to make an exhibit of it image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After yet another strident flamewar over classical vs. modern, large numbers of Litesiders decide they can't stand it any more and emigrate en masse to the Dark Side! image >>

To a certain extent this has already happened...
  • Options
    Get all my NGC 68 CAMS in PCGS holders so i can join all the elitist's that think PCGS is far superior to NGC, so i can sell them for obscene profits,and then build a Registry set i can enjoy in the "White Holders"
  • Options

<< <i>so i can sell them for obscene profits >>

If you do that, how will you live with the guilt?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I will need counciling from Mad Marty and Russ !

But i suspect i will survive !
  • Options

<< <i>Get all my NGC 68 CAMS in PCGS holders so i can join all the elitist's that think PCGS is far superior to NGC, so i can sell them for obscene profits,and then build a Registry set i can enjoy in the "White Holders" >>

Haven't we been through this before ? image

• Options
    UH YEP !
  • Options
    The greatest would be if all Morgans went slowly up 30% more. Next, if PCGS starts their VAM registry at the END of the year (after I have most of them in AU!). Next, gold goes to $700 an ounce and silver $12.

Best? ALL OF ABOVE!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After yet another strident flamewar over classical vs. modern, large numbers of Litesiders decide they can't stand it any more and emigrate en masse to the Dark Side! image >>

That won't work. The modern guys are everywhere. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you define numismatic importance as what's important to the largest number of
    collectors then the introduction of the California quarter will be the most important
    event of the year. Many millions are anxiously awaiting this release in late January.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    The greatest numismatic event of 2005 will be when I get a job and can start buying again without selling something first.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps there are modern collectors out there and they may not know it...image

My best numismatic event of 2005? Not sure, but it will be tough to top 2004.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping I will be able to find one or two nice Unc. pre 1835 coins for my type set. The large denticle dime & quarter and Draped Bust Large cents seem to be the most available in MS 63-4. Capped Bust Halves in 5 that are fully struck are a bit pricey, and if it's not fully struck, it'll be sold to someone else.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forecast for 2005:

Fact - I will still be hopelessly addicted to searching and hunting for coins.

Forecast - I predict I will buy and sell between 10-15 thousand in coins in 2005.

Fantasy - An old lady neighbor whose rich husband (avid Barber collector) has passed away, will invite me over to help her "get rid of" her husbands large wooden chest full of Barber halves, quarters, dimes, and other early date silver coinage. I will recommend she consign them to an auction house for top dollar, and she will reel at the horror of so much fuss and decide to "gift" them to someone who loves them as much as her dearly departed husband....her son in Law! Ok, I am still ironing out my fantasy trying to get all the details to work for me perfectly. Sometimes reality sets in and affects my delusional fantasies. LOL

Tyler
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    To own a totally original 1975 silver dollar. It may turn out to be one of my only numismatic event of 2005.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    A hoard of great coins will be given to me.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To win the Powerball jackpot in time for FUN!!
  • Options
    Plans for 05:

1) Crack out early proof sets and submit them
    2) Finish my Walker short set in MS
    3) Become an eBay (Good) seller
    4) Venture to the Darkside

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Tyler,

Are you forseeing the demise of your father-in-law ?

Of course you're not, but you sure sound like the son-in-law whose about to inherit that wooded box of Barber coins !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibility 1:
    I sell out and put the money against my mortgage.

Possibility 2:
    I aquire one or two more coins for my key date type set.

Possibility 3:
    I change my direction again, sell the key date type set (all five coins at this point) and collect something else. Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes are possibilities.

David
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    That for once NGC agrees with me on a special coin that Don was nice enough to submit for me. If this coin doesn't deserve an upgrade then I am as numismatically challenged as I believe I am. image

Edited to add: that darksiders grow a thicker skin and quit whining about how superior they are. image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will need counciling from Mad Marty and Russ ! >>

In other words a threesome!! Some counselling might be in order here! image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fact/Forecast; I will continue to purchase a few good coins and I will finish my virtual coin album pictures because I really want to have all my coins photographed.

Here's a newly cropped photo I haven't shown here before.

imageimage

Fantasy; My boss will give me a tidy bonus for my performance prior to the Summer ANA and I will buy something really special for my early type collection. I'll probably do the buying part anyway, but I doubt the bonus will show up.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>To own a totally original 1975 silver dollar. >>

Would you settle for a 1976 silver dollar? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will be your greatest numismatic event of 2005?

my Denomination Type Set will be complete through the $3 Gold and i'll be able to post some nice pictures of the almost complete set. that Stella may be tough!!!

al h.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Making the first PCGS PR69DCAM Accented Hair Kennedy Half.

Russ, NCNE >>

Knowing that Russ will find the proof set, rip it for $10, and as he is putting the kennedy in the flip dropping the coin in the sink!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    You're not a very nice person, Marty.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Deciding how to continue and even if to continue in numismatics.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To leave my current profession and pursue a full time career in Numismatics?
  • Options
    I think my greatest Numismatic event of 2005 will be getting the lincoln's i mailed to my3cents on Christmas eve, Authenticated, Attributed, Certified, Graded, Slabbed and posted here on the forum. So you guy's can see that i am not totaly insane. and possibily get a few apologie's.image
  • Options
    OK guys, we're half way through the year. How's everyone doing on their greatest event of the year?
  • Options

<< <i>Buying an early gold coin. Mmmmm ... early gold ... >>

Tada:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file