Home Precious Metals

GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• << <i>It has been announced that a stainless silver alloy has been discovered.

This could have profound implications for the silver market especially if it makes silver jewelry much more popular. This effect is likely since the two greatest drawback of silver in jewelry is that many get an allergic reaction and tarnishing is rapid in other alloys. Both these effects should be greatly reduced with stainless silver.

Edited to add link. >>

I've been waiting for this to go public. There is now going to be a huge breakthrough in IT use because of this.

I heard about this last summer, but could never quite pin it down as I heard it had to do with conductivity of a new level involving a type of stainless silver alloy.

This could really push the manufacturing needs in the next few years once this becomes the standard in the industry. The cost increase per item won't be significant, but when spread over millions of new products, the stresses on the physical silver market could really have an impact.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody have a guess when GOLD closes at 600 or above. NO BETSimage - just guesses.
    Have a nice day
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>Anybody have a guess when GOLD closes at 600 or above. NO BETSimage - just guesses. >>

Late May/Early June of this year.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Late March, early April. No let-up in sight and if it keeps the same path it could be mid March. It will be interesting to see if the state of the union bounces it a hair. Also, Iran going to the UN for a dress-down, they are sure to not enjoy that event and own a huge amount of oil production. Then there's Hamas jumping up and down, begging for us to keep giving them $400 mil dollars next year and for EU to keep giving them $600 mil a year, looks like a billion dollars! Oh, yes, The the Fed raises the lending rate too. Good news...corporate profits are up, the millionaires club is growing at a hot pace and gold is orbital.

Yeah, Mid-March
  • Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    February 1, 2006; Page B4
    Across U.S., Rising Property Taxes Spark Revolts

Across the nation, Americans are revolting against rising property taxes. According to the National Taxpayers Union, an advocacy group, taxpayers are seeking property-tax relief in 20 states by such means as legislation, public hearings, citizen ballots or lawsuits. In Idaho, where property taxes in fast-growing areas have risen as much as 50% over the past five years, state legislators are reviewing recommendations to expand tax breaks for low-income, disabled, widowed and senior homeowners.

In the U.S., one of the more notable revolts culminated in 1978, when California voters passed the landmark Proposition 13. Under state law, a home's assessed value -- which is first set by its purchase price -- can't rise higher than 2% from one year to the next until the property is resold.

In Tennessee's Davidson County, where the property tax rate was increased an average of 25% last year from the year earlier, consumer advocates are attempting to require local politicians to seek approval from county residents before they can raise property taxes.

In last year's third quarter, commercial and residential property taxes together totaled $65.3 billion, according to the Census Bureau; that was up 41% from 2000's third quarter.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    In a 1967 article called Gold and Economic Freedom, Alan Greenspan wrote:

"The abandonment of the gold standard made it possible for the welfare statists to use the banking system as a means to an unlimited expansion of credit. In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."

When asked recently by the maverick congressman Ron Paul whether he still believed in what he had written then, Mr. Greenspan replied: "I wouldn't change a word."

image Food for Thought
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In a 1967 article called Gold and Economic Freedom, Alan Greenspan wrote:

"The abandonment of the gold standard made it possible for the welfare statists to use the banking system as a means to an unlimited expansion of credit. In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."

When asked recently by the maverick congressman Ron Paul whether he still believed in what he had written then, Mr. Greenspan replied: "I wouldn't change a word."

image Food for Thought >>

The above quote is written about as well as it could be written and would be
    easy to stand behind in its totality. It is from a much longer essay which while
    true at the time, is much less true after the changes wrought by decades of
    deficit spending and FED duplicity. I'm sure he recognizes this but would be
    interested to know exactly what he was agreeing with to Ron Paul.
    Tempus fugit.
  • The mixing of Stainless Steel and Silver, isn't this the controversy of Jewlers found selling stainless steel as silver a few years back! What happened to those lawsuits regarding this!

• Damn, I wish I had not sold all my horses a couple of years ago!

Perhaps we should all stop buying Coins, Gold, and Silver for a while and invest in a good horse and wagon set up?

How in the world did we end up with all the crazies running a large part of the world’s energy supplies?

When will these fools in Washington wake up to the fact that the United States needs to be energy self sufficient?

We had better buy up the Canadian oil sands, start converting coal to diesel, and drill in Alaska, or we are going to have world war III over oil, and a depression.

Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez threatened to jail diplomats and close refineries belonging to the U.S. unit of the state oil company in an escalating war of words with the President George W. Bush.

``If the government of the U.S. wants to break relations with Venezuela, and they take the decision, it would cost me nothing to order the closure of the refineries we have in the U.S.,'' Chavez said. ``Then we will see where (the price of) oil will go, or a gallon of gasoline. It would cost me nothing to sell oil to other countries in the world.''

State oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA's U.S. unit, Citgo Petroleum Corp. owns shares in four U.S. oil refineries and two asphalt plants, with a combined daily crude processing capacity of 756,000 barrels. The company also operates a 265,000 barrel-a-day refinery in Houston that's a joint venture with Lyondell Chemical Co. and has more than 13,500 U.S. retail fuel outlets.

Houston-based Citgo sells 8 billions gallons of gasoline every year, according to the company's Web site.

Venezuela earlier purchased 100,000 Russian AK-47s, and Chavez said he wants to buy enough weaponry to put 1 million men and women under arms in the case of an U.S. attack.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot crude is up 68 cents on access electronic trading to $66.05pbl (range is 65.60 to 66.62).

Natural gas is off 20 cents to $8.41mbtu (range is 8.36 to 8.745).

March heating oil is up 2.29 cents to $1.8045/gal (access range is 1.7867 to 1.8105). March unleaded gas is up nearly a penny to $1.69/gal (range is 1.6615 to 1.7080). April HU cracks closed Friday off 4 cents to $12.32 while March HO cracks closed off 23 cents to $9.46.

Gold is being seen as an inflation and flight to quality hedge again this morning especially with energy prices called higher and geopolitical uncertainties growing in Iran, Venezuela and Nigeria. April gold is up $2.30 cents to $573.90 (range is 572.50 to 576.80).

March silver is unch at $9.76 an ounce on the COMEX.

Copper stockpiles in London rose the most in nearly a month; the inventory stockpile jump eased concerns that supply shortfalls are coming according to traders; copper fell $40 on the LME to $4,980 a ton and is off 1.1 cents to $2.297 a pound on the COM
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>How in the world did we end up with all the crazies running a large part of the world’s energy supplies? >>

The oil was discovered and exploited by European companies. Then the countries confiscated it and the governments didn't have the cojones to enforce property rights. What the US should do is take back our oil from those tribes of barbariian fanatics.

<< <i>When will these fools in Washington wake up to the fact that the United States needs to be energy self sufficient? >>

This is a meaningless concept. Oil is a commodity traded worldwide. You can't isolate domestic production from the prices.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • "You can't isolate domestic production from the prices."

You want to BET! Do you know what a field of burning Rigs would do to the price of GAS worldwide!
    Chavez is aging on to get Halliburton out of Venezuela...why do you think that might be! Chaney maybe!

What did a Hurricane do to the price of gas!!!

Many of you people do not know that Chavez and his family were not civilized until after 1960...so you are talking about a man who is still 75% animalistic!
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull out of EVERYWHERE. Let em EAT each other. Then put signs up on our coasts saying "WE BUY OIL"

Sure, Europe and China use a lot, but nowhere NEAR what we do. They'd be lining tankers up in droves.

Get the OIL and forget the stupid politics. NO ONE will ever control the Middle East. Never have. So what? If they can get a tanker to us, we buy it. From anyone. No ID required.

• << <i>The oil was discovered and exploited by European companies. Then the countries confiscated it and the governments didn't have the cojones to enforce property rights. What the US should do is take back our oil from those tribes of barbariian fanatics.
    >>

The nerve of them to claim the oil under thier feet. Yes, we need to go bomb them into submission and take back the oil we stole from them the first time. You would do well in the Bush Cabinet.

What we need is a government with the "cojones" to stand up to the American people and say, NO more SUVs!!! gas is now 6 bucks a gallon (tax it 100%). Use public transportation, try a bicycle. Also you environmentalists can go stuff yopurselves, we are building 100 new nuclear power plants and we are opening up all govenment land for safe drilling.

But we rather spend the money on the military to threaten those who won't play our game. A sad ending to a great country.

<< <i>

<< <i>The oil was discovered and exploited by European companies. Then the countries confiscated it and the governments didn't have the cojones to enforce property rights. What the US should do is take back our oil from those tribes of barbarian fanatics.
    >>

The nerve of them to claim the oil under thier feet. >>

You don't have any rights for the oil or coal under your feets or under your property - maybe you don't know that.

<< <i>Yes, we need to go bomb them into submission and take back the oil we stole from them the first time. You would do well in the Bush Cabinet. >>

The fact is, Bush doesn't have the cojones to do that.

<< <i>What we need is a government with the "cojones" to stand up to the American people and say, NO more SUVs!!! gas is now 6 bucks a gallon (tax it 100%). Use public transportation, try a bicycle. Also you environmentalists can go stuff yopurselves, we are building 100 new nuclear power plants and we are opening up all govenment land for safe drilling. >>

Yeah, so much for freedom...
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • It will not be the first time fields have been set a fire! Only problem is pollution! There are very few people to put those fires out once they start....with his people armed with AK47 there will not be to many people allowed into the area until it is secured and Chavez taken out....Lets just see what Halliburton and Chaney do.
    "Pull out of EVERYWHERE. Let em EAT each other. Then put signs up on our coasts saying "WE BUY OIL"

Sure, Europe and China use a lot, but nowhere NEAR what we do. They'd be lining tankers up in droves."

I agree with you. All these protester guys in the mid-east...don't they have jobs or anything to do during the day, all they do is run around pissed off all the time, each time about something different.

Edited to add: If the US does get big into the bio fuels business, and it does appear we will, then I suspect all the US AID and other give-a-ways to these third world countries will not be available any more because we will need all the food we send them to make our own fuels...hummmmm. Farming may become a real US industry once again. Can't grow corn in the desert.
  • Farming may become a real US industry once again.

That would be real nice!!!!

• << <i>Yeah, so much for freedom... >>

What does it have to do with freedom? You are still free to pay the freight for your SUV instead of us subsidizing each gallon of gas with a dollar extra in the military budget. Why should we not use nuclear power? Not enough profit in it for EXXON?? Why should a few environmental wackos be allowed to stop us from getting our own oil out of Alaska so we don't need thiers??

We need a government that does whats best for the country, not one that caters to the special interests.

<< <i>

<< <i>The oil was discovered and exploited by European companies. Then the countries confiscated it and the governments didn't have the cojones to enforce property rights. What the US should do is take back our oil from those tribes of barbariian fanatics.
    >>

The nerve of them to claim the oil under thier feet. Yes, we need to go bomb them into submission and take back the oil we stole from them the first time. You would do well in the Bush Cabinet.

What we need is a government with the "cojones" to stand up to the American people and say, NO more SUVs!!! gas is now 6 bucks a gallon (tax it 100%). Use public transportation, try a bicycle. Also you environmentalists can go stuff yopurselves, we are building 100 new nuclear power plants and we are opening up all govenment land for safe drilling.

But we rather spend the money on the military to threaten those who won't play our game. A sad ending to a great country. >>

The sad ending would be when the govt tells me what kind of car I have to drive!!

Your right though....the problem is the threatening. Threats never hurt anybody.

Ya wanna cut gasoline use? Real simple. INCREASE the speed limit for smaller engine displacement. You can have your Hummer and go 45 or get a Subaru and go 75. Color coded stickers would be all it would take.

Need more be said?
    "You don't have any rights for the oil or coal under your feets or under your property - maybe you don't know that."

Actually, that is not true. I have three little stripper oil wells on some of my property and a guy pays me for the right to collect it. Sends me real american money every time he picks up a load.
    He pays you for the right to put stuff on your property - not for what he pumps from under it. Your propertyr rights are limited in depth and height. If he could technically access the oil from a remote location (it's possible sometimes), he wouldn't have to pay you a thing. More to the point, if you were to drill yourself on the same pocket, you would end up in jail - because it's his oil, not yours.

The oil belongs to those who do the hard work of prospecting and drilling - not to those who happened to be herding camels above it (which, historically, is basically what they did).
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • I might be wrong, but I believe you can own both the property rights and mineral rights (to onclude oil, gas, gold, etc) for a given piece of land.
    Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com
    "More to the point, if you were to drill yourself on the same pocket, you would end up in jail - because it's his oil, not yours."

It wouldn't be his if I cancelled his lease agreement and gave him 90 days to get his stuff off of my property. The mineral rights are mine, that's why he pays me money under a lease agreement, if it was his, he wouldn't pay me anything.

• << <i>The oil belongs to those who do the hard work of prospecting and drilling - not to those who happened to be herding camels above it (which, historically, is basically what they did).
    >>

It's amazing how we can justify anything. We travel across the Ocean to some other soverign nation and take thier oil and then get upset when they eventually take it back. Just because we had a military with tanks while thiers had camels didn't make the oil grab any more legitimate then than it is now. You're just using a "might makes right" arguement. or more exact an arguement of "we were more industrialized than you so we have a right to your natural resources."

Why don't we just drill our own oil on our own land...........oh I forgot, we don't have the permission of the environment wackos.
  • Anyone think silver is a good buy at current prices? Anyone think it will fall below $9 for a buying op.
    Thanks
    Kip
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
    Texas Mineral Rights Law:

To the extent that a landowner also owns the minerals in his tract, he may legally sever such minerals from the surface estates. The owner of the minerals may produce them himself. The usual practice, however, is for a lease to be executed by the mineral owner to an operator who undertakes to develop the minerals. Although several lease forms are in use, their provisions are generally uniform; the significance of the variant provisions is not to be minimized, however. Typically, under a lease the operator assumes all expenses of operations to develop the mineral resources in return for a conveyance of 7/8 interest in them; the landowner or lessor retains 1/8 interest free and clear of all costs. This interest of the mineral owner or lessor is what is correctly known as royalty, although the term is sometimes more loosely used to describe an undivided interest in minerals arising out of an instrument other than a mineral lease.

• << <i>Anyone think silver is a good buy at current prices? Anyone think it will fall below $9 for a buying op. >>

There is a lot written on this subject I could spend a long time documenting it. The short term is anyones guess but the long term for silver, considering supplies, usage and mining capability as well as the introduction of The ETFs, China and India demand , US dollar inflation all make it a real bullish outlook. I don't think 8 or 9 or 10 make a difference and if you're in for a 1-2 year term you might get hurt. If you have money for the long haul, you can't go wrong with silver.

Of course, this opinion might be worth whjat you paid for it.
    Dropping like a rock...

$557.80 from $572 yesterday. Something is going on...maybe some profit taking? Is silver dropping below $9 on this round?
    This is an inviolate rule called "The Long Beach Curse."

Check it out. This has held true for years and years. Long Beach show = Gold poopoo.

The whole market is down.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palladium is taking the biggest hit so far today. Down $18, back down below $300.
    Well, see, it's just like I've always tried to tellya. Gold is just no good. Nope. Crummy stuff, that gold. Me, I'd rather take some GM stock as I am just as optimistic as all get-out as all you regular posters know.

Yep, gold's for suckers. I'll take Beanie Babies.

• People don't see that the gold has doubled in the last 5 years instead they only see momentary drop.

<< <i>People don't see that the gold has doubled in the last 5 years instead they only see momentary drop. >>

Absolutely! It's just like the morning AFTER Thanksgiving. Or a really hot Mexican meal.

<< <i>People don't see that the gold has doubled in the last 5 years instead they only see momentary drop. >>

So is it good to buy it after it has already doubled?

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The whole market is down.

OK, OK, I admit it. I sold.....

• THIS IS IT, THE BIG ONE !!!!

SELL EVERYTHING!!!

PM ME ON WHERE TO SELL YOUR RARE BUST HALF DOLLARS !!!

Gold:
    Bid/Ask 548.80 - 549.70

Silver 9.39 -0.05

DJIA 10,761.03 -37.10
    NASDAQ 2,246.18 -12.60
    NIKKEI 16,720.99 -26.77
    RUSSELL 719.09 -8.80
    NYSE 7,949.90 -70.00
    TSX 11,835.52 -245.01
    USD 90.08 -0.10
    Crude Oil 63.40 -1.71

• Hey Google stock holders does this sound fair to you?

Google (GOOG:Nasdaq - news - research - Cramer's Take) Chief Executive Eric Schmidt might want to hit Vegas soon, the way his luck has been going.

The veteran technology executive sold more than 56,000 shares Monday, a day before the company floored Wall Street with an earnings disappointment.

The sale reaped about $24 million. He also sold about 61,000 shares on Jan. 26, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
  • That's Wall Street, it's an insiders game. No one ever gets charged for it.

Remember the big Martha Stewart deal, Insider trading etc. She was convicted of "obstructing justice and lying to investigators", not insider trading. She didn't know enough to just say, yeah, so what?

The stock game is big time corrupt , I'd stay far away.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Willie on inelastic gold supply

Even with gold getting hammered today this article has some interesting things to say about future gold production and supply.
    The key being large hedges like Barrick that are bleeding on their hedged positions. On today's drop wouldn't be surprised to
    see Barrick and others buying some cheaper gold to close a portion of their hedge book. Article states that after aquiring
    Placer Dome, that Barrick now has a combined hedge of 21 million ounces they need to pay back. Article states they may have
    lost $1 Billion in the last 6 quarters.......and counting. JPMorgan's (and others) hedge books may be in similar rough shape.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    "The key being large hedges like Barrick that are bleeding on their hedged positions. On today's drop wouldn't be surprised to see Barrick and others buying some cheaper gold to close a portion of their hedge book. Article states that after aquiring Placer Dome, that Barrick now has a combined hedge of 21 million ounces they need to pay back."

Yeah, it will be interesting to watch this play out...we all knew it was out there, waiting.
  • Well. looks like they metals are starting the slow climb. I wouldn't wait long if you were looking for a buying opportunity.
  • Another article on where profits go on stocks rather than to American investors!

NEW YORK POST

February 8, 2006 -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Wall Street's most profitable firm, paid employees an average $521,000 each last year.

Goldman, the No. 2 U.S. securities firm by market value, paid $11.7 billion in compensation to 22,425 employees for the fiscal year that ended in November. Average pay rose 12 percent from the 2004.

• << <i>So is it good to buy it after it has already doubled? >>

Fundamentals are still strong. Did people stop to think about cisco or lucent or nortel when they doubled every quarter and then split ?

• What fundamentals??? Besides, a 6% drop is hardly "hammered"...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Short term drop. Here is some interesting reading:

http://www.gata.org/CheuvreuxGoldReport.pdf
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link didn't work for me...

• << <i> What fundamentals??? Besides, a 6% drop is hardly "hammered"... >>

I am confused. I said the fundamentals of Gold are strong and I made a reference the bubble days of the stock market and how it hardly compares to what is going on with the gold market with some orderely correction.

This discussion has been closed.