Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

You know you're a hardcore collector when ...

As I was cleaning my office (card room), for some reason Jeff Foxworthy's "You know you're a redneck ..." routines came to mind. I thought there should be such a list for card collectors. I'll start it off with a couple. Please exercise your wit!

You have enough bubble wrap to ship Rhode Island to Pluto without a scratch.

Your wife asks you how she looks and you respond "I'd say maybe 8, but let me get my loupe."

(If you're really far gone, your reply might be "Do I know you?")

Comments

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't say she has a qualifier, even if it's true...

<< <i>

Your wife asks you how she looks and you respond "I'd say maybe 8, but let me get my loupe."

(If you're really far gone, your reply might be "Do I know you?") >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    As I handed my business card to a client the other day, I noticed my latest batch of business cards were slightly O/C... image
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>As I handed my business card to a client the other day, I noticed my latest batch of business cards were slightly O/C... image >>

yeah,
    speaking of business cards...
    I really get bothered when someone gives me their
    card and it is not a new, mint card....
    If the corners are soft or there is a crease, it makes
    me not even want to do business with them!

Is it just me?
    imageimage
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    BKAH, I think you just gave PSA an idea for a new item to grade and slab.

You know you're a hardcore collector when ... You get royally ticked when you buy a new car and they don't take PayPal.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> You know you're a hardcore collector when ... >>

The Post Office makes your address a separate zip code!

There's more checklists than photos of your kids in your wallet.

When the UPS driver gives YOU a gift at Christmas!
    Mike
    edit grammar
    Mike
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i><< You know you're a hardcore collector when ... >> >>

Your best friend says he "didn't get any" and you think he's talkin about UPS deliveries.

Mastronet has YOU on speed dial!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BKAH, I think you just gave PSA an idea for a new item to grade and slab.

You know you're a hardcore collector when ... You get royally ticked when you buy a new car and they don't take PayPal. >>

i thought about business cards a couple months ago.. i was going through some old papers and I found one of my dad's old business cards, and the thought crossed my mind to have PSA slab it for me.. =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    ...you start counting all the broken up 2000 Upper Deck Yankee Master Collections.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    when you put business cards in card sleeves....

When you have more baseball cards displayed than pictures of family...

when people ask what's new in your life, you always reply with the latest card you won on ebay....

When you put your credit cards in card savers...

when you possess an MBNA visa card featuring MLB theme, like that Don Mattingly Visa Card

when you have MLB theme on your personal checks... [mine has the NY Yankees Logo]

when you hold up your precious Tom Seaver rookie card to your non-collecting friends and tell them "look how beautiful this is" and they give you a funny look thinking you were showing going to them a Pamela Anderson or something....

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    when you arrive late at the bar because you had to give ebay one final look
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    When you're grumpy all day because no bubble envelopes were in your mailbox.

Whn you start assessing EVERYTHING on a scale of Poor to Gem Mint. "How was your day?" ... "Oh, I guess about EX-MT with a qualifier."
  • Options

<< <i>

When you put your credit cards in card savers...
    >>

Actually my insurance and registration are in a top loader in my truck. You should have seen the look on the cops face the last time I got pulled over. Pure puzzlement.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    when you never use the word 'pro' in a positive manner.

when you plan your lunch hour around post office locations.

when your feeback rating supercedes your job performance review.

when you know who kevin burge is.

• Options

<< <i> You know you're a hardcore collector when ... >>

You plan your vacation around card shows and sporting events.

Run out at lunchtime to check the local target/walmart for Heritage!

Drive 30 miles out of your way to stop at a Toys r us for starting lineups (oldie)
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>when you arrive late at the bar because you had to give ebay one final look >>

·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>When you're grumpy all day because no bubble envelopes were in your mailbox.

>>

i can relate to that, as well.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    I am ashamed to say I've masturbated to Dick Tidrow.

S.
  • Options
    S
    Get outta town!!!

<< <i>You know you're a hardcore collector when ... >>

You are fast at work during the day and you get "heritage SP" flashbacks!
    Mike
    edit left out funny
    Mike
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Scumbi - that was the funniest line I've ever read on these boards.
  • Options
    Scumbi, would you mind posting your hottest Tidrow card? Unless that would be too, um, private.
  • Options

<< <i>Scumbi, would you mind posting your hottest Tidrow card? Unless that would be too, um, private. >>

JR
    I was affraid to ask!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    I'm getting those fantasies again. I just want to grab onto those handlebars and ride Dick.

Best guys,

S.
  • Options
    OK, this is getting out of hand. The censors will be down on our heads. Back to wholesome fun.

You know you're a hardcore collector when...

God grants you three wishes, and two of them are T206 Wagner and 52 Topps Mantle. The third, as an afterthought, is peace on earth and an end to suffering everywhere.
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

The first thing that you read is this PSA message board.

The first thing that you think of when someone spies a "10" is a baseball card.

You know what a "snipe" is.

You know that OC is not to be confused with Opie.

Foreplay could be looking at your card collection.

Looking for a set doesn't mean a day at the beach.

You know that "Mint" is not always something to eat.

You know that "Cracking out" is not necessarily getting stoned.

I am sure that I will think of more later.

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    When your bank account is empty, and your credit cards are maxed, but you still have to bid very high on that elusive common that you are missing.

When your mailman and your stay at home wife seem to be best friends.image
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    you not only show your favorite cards to your friends, you tell them in detail about how you acquired each card and how much you paid for it.

you can't remember your anniversary, but you can recite several set checklists in numberical order.

you annotate auction catalogues.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    When your out on the town with friends on a Friday night (last Friday to be exact) and you have a paper with all of your bids in your pocket so when you keep calling the auction house (several times throughout the night like I did) you can keep track of everything. My friends thought I was crazy.

Todd
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    How about when you read this post and every suggestion applies to you.. Well, except maybe the Dick Tidrow one.

I've been late to dinner/meetings because I had to check ebay one last time, I'm grumpy when I don't get bubble mailers, I've planned lunch around trips to the post office.

Here's a few more for you.

You know the shipping times to different zones to/from your house
    You know the exact price of shipping at USPS for the bubble mailers
    You know the requirements for Delivery Confirmation/Insurance etc
    You know what "PackSearcher" means
    You know how to tell if the the ninja-looters hit the retail packs already
    When someone says SP you think of #398 Zack Grienke not the length of a VHS tape or a cable sports award. image
    Auto does not mean car
    OC is not just a tv show on Fox
    MC is isn't just the guy talking at your dinner banquet
    PD does NOT mean Paid!
    Everything is on a scale from 1-10
    using terms like SMR and Pop Report make perfect sense to you

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    ...you are watching "Some Came Running" (1959 Sinatra & Martin, d. Vincent Minelli) on TCM during lunch and for the 20,000th time you affirm with yourself you would give a kidney for a time machine to go back to 1959 for the sole purpose of buying cards.

...when you spend all Sunday morning at a show haggling with every dealer over prices and then go to JC Penney to buy a couple new shirts and they don't have price tags so you ask the clerk how much they are and he says $19 and your first thought is to say "I'll give you $25 for both of them."

...you get your savings account bank statement and see it hasn't grown in 3 months and yet your ebay feedback has grown by 78 in the same time and you cannot reconcile the two.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭

...it pains you to think of the cards you could buy with each month's mortgage payment.

....you look at the corners of your pop-tart longer than you should.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

definitely a PSA 8 (ST).
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    LOL

<< <i>you are watching "Some Came Running" (1959 Sinatra & Martin, d. Vincent Minelli) on TCM during lunch and for the 20,000th time you affirm with yourself you would give a kidney for a time machine to go back to 1959 for the sole purpose of buying cards. >>

How I identify with this one not to mention ALL the rest.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    you know you're a hardcore collector when you give up drinking (in college no less) because you need more money for cards (i gave up smoking for the same reason)

• Options

<< <i>....you look at the corners of your pop-tart longer than you should. >>

I can tell you that PSA is very tough on grading Pop-Tarts, so don't bother.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    While contemplating your navel, you discover a raw common in there.

You change your meditation mantra from oohhmm, oohhmm to nnoollaann, nnoollaann.

Your wife asks you to bring home milk and bread, but instead you bring home sausages and hot dogs because there are some greasy baseball cards in the packages.

You have one closet that has a top shelf full of Wheaties boxes. Once a year you check them for maggots.

You have a pile of sportscard mags next to the crapper. Maybe one Time magazine in there that you put on the top of the pile when you are expecting guests.

You can't locate your wedding album, but you can put your finger on your auto'd 8x10 binder in less than 5 seconds.

If a card slips out of your hand, you dive for it before it hits the floor, like it's a Mingh dynasty vase.

You have 18 pairs of cheap sneakers that you never wear, but you have a use for all 18 boxes.

You have to keep changing the toploaders on your "Dirt" Tidrow cards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    When you start equating the money you spend to how many cards of a certain player you could have bought instead.

example:

$500 for new alternator and battery for car => damn could have bought a 72 Ryan PSA 9 and a 90 OPC Ryan PSA 9 for that. image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    --------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    ...you snipe on non-sportscard auctions and you really feel sorry for the poor, ignorant slobs you know you'll be beating out.

...your nighttime fantasies involve finding a unopened carton of "Sweet Caporal"s dated "1910" that some oldtimer just dropped off to the local antique store currently being manned by the teenage daughter of the owner who is out on lunch break.

...you don't even have to pause when looking at a 1955 or 1956 Topps to figure out which year it is.

...you have a box of worthless, beat-up cards from your youth and you can't bear to part with them no matter how desperately you need the closet space.

...your dad calls up and says he found some old cards in a box, and with just a one sentence description from him you not only know what year and manufacturer they are, but whether they'll even be worth grading.

...you ever traded for or away a 1986 Donruss Canseco for a vintage Topps card of a superstar.

...you know, by heart, the pose on every Mickey Mantle regular issue Topps card from 1952 to 1969.
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    ... you have no clue how old your mother-in-law is, but you know your current eBay feedback within +/- 2 ...
  • Options
    ... You can't stop bidding, even though the bid is way past your original target price and there are others you can get for much cheaper if you just wait a day or two.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone pays $5,000 for a pack of baseball cards with stale gum that cost 5 cents 50 years ago and you think they got a great deal.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    You buy a case of soft sleeves, shopping around for them so you getem for less than a penny.

You start to recycle toploaders, even if they have goo on them from somebody else you bought a card from them in.

You could care less if your house rots, but you buy a dehumidifier for your "card room."

You start pulling down the blinds in your "card room", like some kind of paranoid crack head.

Your adolecent children make further disparaging commentary about you to their freinds, now including, that you sit around and play with your cards.

You keep rearranging any space that's left in your house so you can fit more cards into it.

You keep looking at your stuff, thinking that you have overlooked a "Holy Grail" card in one of the boxes. You swear to yourself that you have some, but just can't find them.

You....

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    You hear your wife on the phone with her girlfriend saying "yeah, he likes to sniff the cards - he puts them up to his nose and sniffs them, and then tells me all about it.".
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    You go for a run and when you get back, you're not sweating but "Dripping with Gloss"
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    ... when you find that the most influential president of the late 20th century passed away by first reading about it on the Set Registry Forum (true, yet somehow pathetic, story!).
  • Options
    When there's more money in your PayPal account than your bank account.

When you can plan vacations from the "rewards" you get from the credit card you put your baseball cards on.

When you print out this thread and sit down with a highlighter.

• Options
    this is a great thread..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    when you attend social get-togethers at card shows.

when you know your friends' collecting interests, but not what they look like.

when you have memorized the shipping charges of most of the major card dealers on eBay.

when you report keyword spamming to eBay.

when you buy back issues of price guides and card magazines.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>when you know your friends' collecting interests, but not what they look like. >>

Nick
    that is really cool and TRUE!

When you have paypal on speed-dial!

When you come home blitzed but insist on taking one more look at ebay auctions.

When you know ALL the SP numbers from this years Heritage but can't remember to pick up the dry cleaning for your wife!
    the last two are recent occurences.
    Mike
    Mike