Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CONTEST!!!! Most replies to this thread wins a Morgan Dollar in MS63+ WINNERS POSTED!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    Take my word for it........REALLY!
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    A sham competition between the two men was staged and, as the protege of the Director of the Mint, Morgan's design was chosen
    Looking for tobacco cards (T206, etc), 1960 Topps cards, autographs, dvds, coins, plus more
  • Options
    You don't think I would try to trick you, do you?
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    On the front of the coin Morgan created a head of Lady Liberty, based on his Philadelphia schoolteacher-model Anna Willess Williams, and graced the back with a rather underfed eagle.
    Looking for tobacco cards (T206, etc), 1960 Topps cards, autographs, dvds, coins, plus more
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a thing like that! image

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    KriekKriek Posts: 1,044
    I have 7:43 PM EST which would be 6:43 PM CST
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Ironically, Linderman left the Mint later that year to look after his failing health, Barber's son Charles succeeded him to Chief Engraver and Morgan was demoted to Assistant Engraver
  • Options
    He would remain in that position, his career stalled, for over 40 years
  • Options
    So
    J.Kriek
  • Options

<< <i>I have 7:43 PM EST which would be 6:43 PM CST >>

You're clock is wrong.

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Row
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    When he finally ascended to Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, George T. Morgan was over 70 years old
  • Options
    Your
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    Boat
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    The Morgan Dollar was the only American coin he ever designed.
  • Options
    I swear.........hahahaha

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Gently
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    Down
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    The
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    The first Morgan Dollars were struck on March 11, 1878, less than two weeks after the coin was authorized by Congress, at 3:17 in the afternoon on Press #4 in Philadelphia
  • Options
    Stream
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    This is crazy......

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    I must have lost my mind.

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    It is currently is on display at the Hayes Library and Museaum in Fremont, Ohio
  • Options
    It had a metallic content of 90% silver and 10% copper
  • Options
    I'll find it later.....my mind, that is.

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    In the words of Jim Carrey ...
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    While most of the Morgan Dollars were minted in Philadelphia, a small mint was established in Carson City, Nevada to also press the coins near the source of the Comstock lode
  • Options
    Somebody stop me
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    I hope it's not gone for good!

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    The mine, however, played out shortly thereafter and the Carson City mint closed forever in 1893
  • Options
    Looks like I will be hosting my own 1,000 post giveaway soon image
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    The Morgan Dollars minted in Carson City are rare and highly collectible today.
  • Options
    More than 500 million Morgan Dollars were minted until production stopped in 1904, after the statutary 25-year run for a coin design
  • Options
    That thunder guy is a regular walking encyclopoedia!

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    LMAO!

imageimageimageimage
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    The silver dollars were never really popular - most were circulated in the sparsely populated West - and huge stockpiles were on hand
  • Options
    I don't think I spelled that right.

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Oh well, who cares?

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    In 1918, more than 270 million Morgan Dollars were melted down to provide war-time silver for Great Britain.
  • Options
    The Morgan Silver Dollar, now one of the most popular coins for U.S. collectors
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    No time to edit now!

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    was first minted in 1878 when silver mine owners lobbied the government to re-issue silver dollars - the mintage of which had been halted in 1873
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    At that time, mines in the western U.S. territories such as Nevada were producing very large quantities of silver and authorization for a new silver dollar by the mining lobby was sought so as to stabilize or support silver prices
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    In 1921 another 86 million Morgan Dollars were coined but production was halted in 1922 for the commemorative Peace Dollar to mark the end of World War I
  • Options
    These lobbying efforts proved successful and the government passed the Bland-Allison Act in early 1878 which required the U.S. Mint to purchase millions of ounces of silver bullion every month to be made into dollar coins
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    To comply with the Bland-Allison Act, the U.S. Mint engaged a young designer, George T. Morgan, to design and engrave a new silver dollar
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    George Morgan, in turn, asked Anna W. Williams, a school teacher, to sit as a model for the "Liberty Head" on the obverse side of the Morgan Dollar. Anna became known as "Miss Liberty" and gained fame as a result of her image being engraved on the nation's silver dollars.
    J.Kriek
  • Options
    No time.......

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Morgan's design features a portrait of Miss Liberty on the front of the coin while the reverse shows an image of a rather thin eagle - resulting in many referring to the coin as a "buzzard dollar
    J.Kriek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file