Home U.S. Coin Forum

Trimes Anyone?

NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Very nice toning and great pics for such a small coin!! Let me guess, MS64?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Nice! imageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at last a topic that makes my heart beat.....image

PS: still buying pcgs MS 1872 at very high prices....please offer
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nic- beautiful trime! I am guessing that MS 64 is a wee bit too conservative on that little jewel.image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I know, it's butt ugly. image

Russ, NCNE
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I'll take last place in the quality department :0 I only have 2 and this is the nice one image

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Great trimes guys. I really like the trime design. Too bad they are so small. I'm afraid I would lose them all if I collected them.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>I'll take last place in the quality department :0 I only have 2 and this is the nice one image

image >>

So a Seated Half-Dime is your Best 3-cent silver? imageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nics tastes are on the higher end....that's at least an MS66 and possibly a 67. Very lovely coin...and nicer than any 3 centers I've had. Too many 3 cent pieces are either mottled, butt ugly, dullish satiny gray or dipped out. This one is a nice exception.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Tom
    I would kinda like to see your no stars half dime anyway.image

Mark
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll take last place in the quality department >>

Apparently you missed the one I posted. I kicked your butt. image

Russ, NCNE
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least a 66 is right! I recently acquired the Koshkarian 1851, which is a very pretty coin, and I do believe I like Nic's better - so I'd guess MS67.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill bet that 51 Trime is an Ms-67 !
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Great coin: Lots of luster; toning ; strike and surfaces.
    Trimes will someday find a following. This is a beauty.
    Trime
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nic
    You did it again,every time you post a coin you give me a image.
    Sweet coin.
    Al
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second coin [the 1861] is much tougher to grade. It has the eye appeal of a gem, but a weak strike. MS64 might be right on that one....
  • The picture is a little dark, but here goes. This coin has a very strong strike for the date.

We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a date not yet shown, my contribution to the image set

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The 1861 was bought as an AU. I 'll have to get new pics of it tomorrow. the only problem it has is that it's slightly bent.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple from my set.

Have a good day, Gary
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say MS68 on Nic's...

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it surface wise. Extermely good strike. Superb eye appeal and it looks like it probably has great luster.

Why wouldnt it be a 68?...

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Why wouldnt it be a 68?... >>

Because neither NGC nor PCGS has certified an MS68 for that date.image

John, on a more serious note, in my opinion, one reason to exclude it from an MS68 rating would be the light circular whitish stain-like area on the reverse above the part of the "C" that sits atop the bottom star. There are also a number of similar, small light splotchy/uneven areas scattered about the reverse.

From the images, though, it has great color (which is extremely uncommon for a Type l 3CS), essentially mark-free surfaces, nice luster, a sharp strike and loads of eye-appeal. I would think it's a lock MS66 and probable MS67.

Nic, do I know this coin? Edited to add : It looks familiar.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, Nic.

However, I would like to remind folks -- including TDN (!!!) -- that it's not really possible to grade off an image. In many cases, it's not even possible to say if it's a proof or a biz strike.

I can understand if folks say "ohhh, ahhh, cool coin" or something to that effect. But, beyond that, I urge caution because I would hate for folks -- especially the newbs -- to fall into the trap of trusting in their grading-by-pic skills.

I hope I didn't come off as too much of a party-pooper. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

BTW, that coin looks both "ohhh, ahhh, super cool" and "MS66 shot MS67" to me. image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP, even though common sense seems to dictate that one cannot grade from a scan, we are getting better at it every day just based on seeing more and more coins. Certain patterns of luster, color, etc. scream out at you in most cases whether something looks good....or bad. This 3 cent silver looks VERY right. Other than hidden hairlines, or a tic in the shadows, it screams "superb gem."

Grading by a scan is not fool proof...nor is grading on the floor of a bourse with flourescent overhead lighting. Other than a darkened room in the convenience of your own home (or grading service) one NEVER gets to see the coin as it really is. And don't forget the 1/16th inch of plastic too. I think I'd trust my grading of a scan before that of the opinion of 95% of ebay sellers.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>However, I would like to remind folks -- including TDN (!!!) -- that it's not really possible to grade off an image. In many cases, it's not even possible to say if it's a proof or a biz strike. >>

EVP, I concur with that and often remind people that "no one, no matter how expert a grader, can consistently grade accurately from images."

However, in this case, with respect to the coin's designation - since there is only a single Type l 3CS of any date recognized as a true Proof and I know what it looks like, it was pretty easy to go with the MS designation for this coin.image
  • mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    I have a nice 1863 trime graded PCGS MS64. I would like some assistance in attaching an image. I can email you my images and ask you to post. Thanks.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all. The coin is from the Knoxville Collection when it was first sold many years ago. A very tough coin for me to take a pic of due to its small size and the old plastic. It is likely the finest known. Mark, I have no idea if you have seen it before... perhaps way back when at NGC? John, I agree.
    Anyone else with cool trimes? I'll try to post a few more this week.
    K
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Hi nic. Here's mine..from a board member Iras4
    imageimage
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting for Mightyhunter:

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Nice fellas, One of my favorites series. Highly under covered.

Br,

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • OakOak Posts: 205
    I like 3 centers too!

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • OakOak Posts: 205
    How do you post the pic in the thread and not as an attachment? Help please.

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

K >>

LOVE that Type I trime, nic! The odd mixture of 75% silver and 25% copper, made most of these coins tone to very unattractive colors. I think that really attractive Type 1 Trimes like this one are underrated.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Here's my 1851-O. This has always been my favorite trime because it was the only branch mint piece. In fact it was the lowested denomination that was issued from a branch mint before the San Francisco mint issued cents in 1908.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt know that none had been graded.... image

As far as grading from a pic, I would never endeavor to do so if I were buying a coin of course. Since this is really an exercise in fun, I dont mind...

Pictures are getting better and I believe that you can develop an eye for photo grading the same way as normal grading. I can easily tell when a pic has been juiced or if the luster is not right etc on around 65% of pics on ebay.

As far as there not being a 68, maybe there should be!!! image

For that coin, the blotches are attractive to me. I guess it all depends on the hairlines on the coin and how the luster looks in person. If you cant find a hairline and the luster is tremendous, I would say 68. Maybe PCGS or NGC is just being a party pooper for that pop 1 realization....

John
    You can't be sure of the MINT STATE grades from a picture because you can't access the mint luster. One can only do that live, where you can turn the coin in the light and see the quality of the mint frost or brighter surface.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Trimes, they are a changin'
  • CarlWohlforthCarlWohlforth Posts: 11,074
    Nice coins! I like them all.

Here is a proof trime:

• The silver threes are known for how beautifully they tone, and that makes it a fun series to collect. But those are particularly lovely.

Enjoy!

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Here are two of my trimes--my favorite series:

• 1862, color is better in hand.
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
    Heres one from my collectionimage
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins all!!! Boiler... just had to be different didn't you. I love that run of issues. Bill, I agree, the O mint coins are cool.
    Here is a nice MS 1866..... very tough in MS as are many of the trimes. K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file