Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which PCGS MS68 would you rather have? UPDATED with voting and auction results...

Each of these Iowa commemoratives was graded MS68 by PCGS and sold at public auction earlier this year.
One of them brought $1322, one realized $1782 and one fetched $2357. See if you can guess which coin is which?

Do you think these price differences indicate that one or more of them was: Over-graded? Under-graded? Gorgeous?image Not so gorgeous? image Other?

Voting results and answers will be revealed on Monday. If you already know or learn which is which before then, please keep it a secret - thanks.

Edited to add: We own none of these.

PCGS MS68 Iowa #1

PCGS MS68 Iowa #2

PCGS MS68 Iowa #3

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I know nothing, so I can answer.

#1 $1782
    #2 $2357
    #3 $1322

At least that is my take based on eye appeal
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    With most of the toning on the reverse, I'd say the first one went for the lowest price, next the third because it looks darker than I would prefer, and finally the second - gorgeous pastel coloration and I would think it's a somewhat unusual color.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Not too fond of the "sneezed on" toning on the first one. $1322

The second is ok. $2357

The third is a nice 'poop' color with a hint of kool-aid on the obverse. $1782

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    a pedigree? on a iowa???

sheesh.

K S
  • Options
    I would shop around for a blast white version.......otherwise I would take the first one.
  • Options
    jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    1. 2357
    2 1782
    3. 1322

The sale is the best indicator of value as I haven't a clue. I expect more than 2 or 3 have to offer for MS68image
    Jack
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of toning but the first one is the most appealing to me since it seems to have
    original surfaces. The second one may be the nicest in hand but looks a little washed out in the
    picture. The third probably isn't the most expensive and is my least favorite because of the dark-
    ness.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even tho they have great strikes, I really don't care for any of them.
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    The strike looks best on the first one. $1782

The second one has nice eye appeal. $2357

The third one is dull looking. $1322

Don
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I should have added to the post that considering everything, including the price, I'd much rather have my MS66 (possibly shot at 67) any day.

• Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    The splotches on the second are the drool marks I left on the plastic when I saw the coin.

The first coin is even nicer IMO in spite of the fact that the second is all there technically and has wicked eye appeal. I would love to see the coin that replaced that one...assuming it came from where I think it came from.

I don't even remember looking at the third one...maybe it is so stunning that upon viewing it I went into shock and have lost my memory of the incident; although I doubt that is the case.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The one with the Heller name on it judging from pictures.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    The first one has original tab toning. That's my pick for the highest price one.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy any of them as a 68.....
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    #1 Highest price realized.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I would take the third one.
  • Options
    Shoot...I like 'em all!...I'd say:

1. 1782
    2. 2357 Pedigree!
    3. 1322

• Options
    Prices don't mean much unless they all were sold in the same auction.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Placid, I carefully chose examples which had sold in a narrow time period - two of them in the same sale in March and one in January.image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    1. $2,357
    2. $1,782
    3. $1,322
  • Options
    The title says which would you rather have then inside it says guess the price.
    I did the one I would rather have.
    I missed the guess the price part.

The highest price was probably the tab-toned one because all it takes is two people who love tab toning to get into a bidding war. I would not bid on a tab-toned coin myself as I do no like that look.

The middle price was probably the middle coin as it is nice original looking but no toning.

The lowest price was probably the bottom one because its toning seems drab except for a small section.
  • Options
    Second one looks best to me.
    A newbie to collecting...but recognize the value of PCGS grading.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

I'll play nice with you... image

First, let me say that it's not fair to ask folks to ascertain from digi-pics over/under-grade potential when the specimens in question are graded 68 by a reputable service.

Second, I'll guess: first is most expensive and second is least.

Third, is this Heller your favorite buddy? image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess that the dipped & retoned #0999 was the 2k deal & the dark ugly #4742 was the cheap one & the heller coin was the $1700 one but the heller coin might have been the 2k one because everybody knows heller is picky so his coin might have been the best one. It looks like a tossup between hellers & 999 in the strike while 4742 is clearly the lesser coin in all aspects.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    i like em in the order shown..1,2,3..so would guess that is the order of highest to least expensive..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll guess:
    1. 1782
    2. 2357
    3. 1322

I "dislike" the third coin because it seems dark. I, personally, prefer white coins, so I prefer the second coin. Plus I think Steve is a good guy, so I hope his coin was the highest. Thus, based on my preferences and my hope, I am guessing (hoping) that the second coin was the most expensive. That doesn't leave much room for doubt about where the first coin places in my list.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Today I like the second one the best.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like the second best. The toning on the first is a bit splotchy. May look better in person though.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    # 1 is the $1322 coin

# 2 is the $2357 coin and deserved the amount. This guy is picky. image

# 3 is the $1782 coin and from the picture it would be a toss up with me whether to buy #2 or it.

Ken
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the first one the best and the last one the least.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    #1 is the best and #3 is the worst looking to me. #2 is OK, maybe a little better than OK.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Today's Market preferences IMHO are
    1. Bright Color
    2. Pedigree
    3. Blast White
    4. Orginal skin with out bright colors
    5. Dipped out and Dull (the above all assume decent luster)

Based upon the above I think
    Coin #1 was highest paid
    Coin #2 was next highes paid
    Coin #3 was lowest paid.

My preferences are #1, then #3
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photos presented only the 1st coin has any eye appeal to me. Sneezed on and all, I like it.

The Heller coin looks like every other Iowa out there. No matter how clean, without color or monstrous blast they just lie there.

The 3rd piece might be prettier in hand but hard to tell. Parts of the obv look very colorful. Reverse could be a touch dullish.

I'd do with #1.....#3.....#2...............sorry Mr. Heller!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Judging from the scan, the first coin has a pizzazz the other 2 seem to be missing. That is the piece I would choose, the other two I don't care for.
    As for what they sold for, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find the pedigreed coin was the most expensive, followed by #1 and#3. After all, if it's pedigreed, it must be a great coin, right?image I wonder what dorkarl would think of that logic...........buy the insert, not the slab!image
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I like the first one best by far. Then the third and then the second one.
  • Options
    1st most money, 3rd least
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options

<< <i>The Heller coin looks like every other Iowa out there. No matter how clean, without color or monstrous blast they just lie there. >>

Iowa is a tough coin, herein, Coinguy's conundrum as presented, in that, there are a number of Iowa 68s. Going though them is time consuming and, truthfully, exasperating. There are only a handful of really nicely toned 68s, that go for undue multiples than that of a clean one, imho. Finding a truly special 68 is unusually difficult, more than one may assume.
    Ps. That is not to say that this theory was recognized and I got good $$$ for the Heller coin in the auction. Guess accordingly.... image
    Pps. a hint... I doubt I got diddily for the pedigree on this puppy... image
  • Options
    #2 Heller
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eagle's head on #1 is awesome strike wise. Just compare it to the other two. I vote #1 as best #2 followed closely by #3.

But when comparing MS-68 we are only comparing what appears to be the eye appeal as opposed to the technical merits of each coin. At the 68 level personal inspection is a must to compare technical aspects.

But one important question.....are these pics all scans or any of them taken with a digital camera?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Here are the unofficial voting results (I say unofficial because one or more respondents were a bit vague and/or wishy-washy AND I might have added wrongimage) :

Scoring system: If a coin was chosen as the favorite, it was awarded 1 point, if it was second favorite, it got 2 points and if chosen in 3'd place, it received 3 points - so, the lowest score is best in this poll...

Coin #1: average vote 1.44
    Coin # 2: average vote 1.69
    Coin #3 : average vote 2.66

The voting was very close between the first two coins and clearly, the third one was the least favorite among you folks. You also chose them according to the actual prices realized in the auctions, # 1 being the highest and # 3 being the lowest. I'll leave it to you to figure out where coin #2 ended up, price-wise. image

Oreville, I don't know what type of photography Heritage used.

Dog, coin #1 was not "dipped and retoned". In fact, it's about as original as you can get, with the toning being "tab toning", the result of having resided in it's original holder of issue and displaying a toning pattern conforming to the "tab" which held it in place.

Do you guys want to have/do another one of these?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I always like comparisons!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>

Do you guys want to have/do another one of these? >>

Sure.

edited to add- Oops. The results are in there.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Coin #1: average vote 1.44---$2,357
    Coin # 2: average vote 1.69--$1,782
    Coin #3 : average vote 2.66--$1,322

Maybe there's something to this market grading thing.

If you figure a little premium for the finest (they are MS-68) there is an excellent correlation.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Sorry, I come to this late.

I actually like tab toning, so I would go with the first coin. Having said that I'm not that wild about the reverse of it.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinguy:

You said:

<<<<<<<<<<<<You also chose them according to the actual prices realized in the auctions, # 1 being the highest and # 3 being the lowest. I'll leave it to you to figure out where coin #2 ended up, price-wise. >>>>>>>>>>>

I am still working on that. Figuring out where coin #2 ended up, price-wise. Is this a trick question or what?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Oreville, that was not a trick question (merely a poor attempt at humor). If you know the prices realized for #'s 1 and 3, you must, by process of elimination, know #2's price. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file