Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's going way too far. Count me in the crowd of not buying one
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    No offense to those in the armed forces (as I have relatives and friends in the military and who have fought in wars) but she is not worthy.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This one isn't nearly as repugnant as the death slabs.

<< <i>but she is not worthy. >>

Ah, but she's a darling of the PC crowd.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

PCGS is stooping awful low!!!!!

• Options
    Hmmm...get lost, get captured, get rescued by REAL heroes, cash in. Ridiculous.
  • Options
  • Options
    THE ULTIMATE IN WHOOOOOOO CAREEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image idea!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm...get lost, get captured, get rescued by REAL heroes, cash in. Ridiculous. >>

EXACTLY! Those who risked their $#%$% are more worthy. She's a soldier, I have no problem with that -- but this... I have seen profiles of some of the people who have fought there who have my respect far more.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    If I were to say that I think this idea sucks, would HRH and PCGS sue me?
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Remember how everybody here TRASHED the WTC coins? How about this one folks?
    DSW
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    My two pennies for who cares to read. As a prior 20 year + Retired Marine it seems those that are truely due the awards they are bestowed are forgotten but those that do not deserve the awards they have been given are recognized. I am not down playing the fact that she was a prisoner nor the fact that she was mistreated but there are and were many individuals that not only were treated unjust or even tortured to death. I feel for the pain she suffered but I do not condone or recognize those that do not deserve the medals they were given. Further being a prior West Virginia resident when I enlisted it makes it even worse to know that she should do the right thing and give the medals back that she did not deserve to have been given. If you read the medals award requirements she does not rate those that were given.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    Well put !!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm...get lost, get captured, get rescued by REAL heroes, cash in. Ridiculous. >>

Total agreement with this statement above.

What did PCGS pay for this FANTASTIC endorsement ? Me thinks they should figure out what a real hero is before throwing cash around.

Ken
  • Options
    Interesting to say the very least.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    how about a slab for Carlos Hathco**!!!!!!! image

(the spellchecker would not let me spell his name correctly, insert ck) image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Forget it, I don't even want to get started. Puh-thet-ICK.
  • Options
    Did Bluemooncoins come up with this ridiculous idea?

PCGS certificate:

Bluemooncoins auction certificate:

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    OK, I'll say it first. I like it. I like the idea of having a sense of history connected to the dates on these coins. (Same as the "death" coins). I would like to have one for my registry set. There. I said it, and I feel better now.

Edited: spelling
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    OK. I don't want to get into a big "thing" about whether she deserve the medals or not.

Here is what I don't get - what is the relationship between the coin and the person? This collection makes no sense whatsoever. I would rather buy the Russ Edition Accented Hair Kennedy (because he is my hero). At least there is a numismatic connection. This is just a big "huh?" to me...
  • Options

<< <i>OK. I don't want to get into a big "thing" about whether she deserve the medals or not.

Here is what I don't get - what is the relationship between the coin and the person? This collection makes no sense whatsoever. I would rather buy the Russ Edition Accented Hair Kennedy (because he is my hero). At least there is a numismatic connection. This is just a big "huh?" to me... >>

I would want one for 2003. The year the war began. No other year would appeal to me. It's the year....kind of like a walk through history.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
  • Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭
    Yea big deal
    So what about the people that where with her that got killed any thing for them? or how about the 600+ that won't be coming home anything for them? This just makes me sick Don't forget her movie deal!!!image
    Thanks
    Paul
    PS just had to vent
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Add my name to the non-buyers list.

The media overused the term "hero" in her case, and it was definitely a PC move to counter those of us old-school military farts who don't think females should be in combat zones. I was at the Pentagon during the 90s when the Commander-in-Heat's PC administration did the social engineering trick on the military. DACOWITS (Defense Advisory Council on Women in the Service) was formed, and the military version of feminazis were let loose. The Navy Tailhook fiasco was the excuse they were looking for to put female pilots in fighter aircraft and women in combat zones. I came very close to getting in a lot of trouble when I protested Bubba's tampering with the military.

Here's the odd thing about Lynch signing these "hero slabs": after she was rescued, she made a point of saying that she wasn't a hero and she did mention the guys that rescued here were the true heroes. She even seemed embarrassed by the whole thing, and rightfully so as the fictional accounts of her emptying her weapon into the enemy until she ran out of ammo proved false by her account.

But, the talk show appearances and her book gave her a cash cow that was probably too tempting. I wonder what PCGS paid her to sign those 100,000 slabs?

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the Commander-in-Heat's PC administration >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
    What are they thinking??image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I were to say that I think this idea sucks, would HRH and PCGS sue me? >>

Just don't call Jessica Lynch a fishwife.
  • Options
    Carol I could really use that thumbs down emoticon you promised to put up a longgggggggggggg time ago.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    spag me with a goon........
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Just as there are those who would not buy these coins, there will be those who would. 100,000 signed slabs projected is just a bit much, I would say. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    She manually signs each different piece of paper 100,000 times??!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Bad publicity for PCGS in my opinion. Distributor will wind up holding the bag unless they already have a contract with PCGS to return unsold. Then PCGS can ship the excess ASE's for melting. Steveimage
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have to add my disdain for this series and peticular one.As a veteran of Vietnam,I feel this is totally wrong.There could be a slab made for all the heros of Irag,but not individuals.JMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry I think this idea is 2 thumbs down image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Add me to the thumbs-down crowd, and may I also say this makes me think a LOT less of PCGS.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cheesey thing to do.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

Thumbs down for me too. IMO, the ONLY reason PCGS would do such a thing would be for financial gain.

<< My two pennies for who cares to read. As a prior 20 year + Retired Marine it seems those that are truely due the awards they are bestowed are forgotten but those that do not deserve the awards they have been given are recognized. I am not down playing the fact that she was a prisoner nor the fact that she was mistreated but there are and were many individuals that not only were treated unjust or even tortured to death. I feel for the pain she suffered but I do not condone or recognize those that do not deserve the medals they were given. Further being a prior West Virginia resident when I enlisted it makes it even worse to know that she should do the right thing and give the medals back that she did not deserve to have been given. If you read the medals award requirements she does not rate those that were given. >>

I think this best sums up my feelings also. First of all, let me say that Jessica Lynch did very well and should be proud of how she served her country. However, IMO, the media overblew her story for PR purposes. For some reason, she "connected" with the public, and the media grasped the concept and milked her story for all it was worth.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    imageimage
    And a triple Lameto boot
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    (me shaking my head in disgust)
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    image. This is just plain wrong! What about all the other members of the armed services who are still in hosptials suffering or are still over there? Everyone here knows I'm a big SAE fan but I will not be buying one of these things. You see Jessica everywhere! She's famous for getting captured! What about coins for the rest of her crew? Where are the coins for the rest who went thru the same and worse? She has go to be one of thw worst media whores out there.

PCGS, Here's a great idea. Make one with MrPaseo's signature. Now there's one I'll buy! I may have to go get me a bunch of CoinWorld slabs and make them myself. What do you think Mr Paseo? Proceeds go to the charity of your choice.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

<< <i>My two pennies for who cares to read. As a prior 20 year + Retired Marine it seems those that are truely due the awards they are bestowed are forgotten but those that do not deserve the awards they have been given are recognized. I am not down playing the fact that she was a prisoner nor the fact that she was mistreated but there are and were many individuals that not only were treated unjust or even tortured to death. I feel for the pain she suffered but I do not condone or recognize those that do not deserve the medals they were given. Further being a prior West Virginia resident when I enlisted it makes it even worse to know that she should do the right thing and give the medals back that she did not deserve to have been given. If you read the medals award requirements she does not rate those that were given. >>

OOOOWW_RAH (I too am prior Marine Corps) Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    No comment and we'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all WRONG!

SFC Patrick Vetter
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    imageimage
  • Options

I agree!
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Sure, I'll sign a few, how many did you want? 200,000 image

I agree with the majority here. Allow me to state I believe this is a PC issue. I do not understand why PCGS got involved. image I aslo believe if they wanted to ride the war wagon that so many others are, they could have gone about it in a much better way.

Just my opinion,
    Ray

btw, anyone want a signature? image
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Now there is Jessica Lynch slabs

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! This is some kind of LAME JOKE by a board member...RIGHT?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    WAIT A MINUTE!!! I was going to abstain from commenting on the whole issue of this specific person, but I think things are going a little far. Some of these comments are getting out of hand.

I also feel that this whole idea is ridiculous, but I don't think there is any need to personally attack Jessica Lynch. She was injured while serving her country and was a POW. I detect a hint of misogynistic cr*p in some of these threads. Do we consider Vietnam POWs to be less heroic because they were POWs? I don't think so.

I see that many of you are serviceman and clearly seem to have some "issues" with women in the military. Take it somewhere else. This is the US Coin Forum.

This whole collection is a dumb idea because this person has nothing to do with the coins. I can see mint directors, I can even see the WTC Ground Zero recovery coins as having a numismatic "tie in".

Edited to add: Prepared for flaming...
  • Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    The soldier, by her own admission did not fire her weapon in self defense. nuff said
    Buy More Coins!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file