Home U.S. Coin Forum

Original Felix Schlag Jefferson Nickel Design

Comments

• << <i>I think I am just a little confused about how FSNC is selling/slabbing these coins. As a member, I bought 4 of the proofs at two each at two different times (no MS). The first two are numbered 706 and 707. The second pair I bought are numbered 1666 and 1777.

How can they have not ALL been slabbed if my last two are so close to the end total? Did they slab them just for me as I asked for these two numbers specifically? Thats all I can think of!

David >>

I talked to Darrell the other day about the nickels. They are slabbed as ordered/needed. So yes David, he slabbed those specifically for you. Darrell, Jeff_nickel_king, is the one selling these on eBay.

Regards,
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Basically the same size but a little different in design. They do fit in the PCGS Blue boxes with no problem. >>

Generally only 19 SEGS holders will fit in a PCGS blue box- but to get that twentieth coin in there, just turn the first slotted coin backward (obverse facing the obverse of coins #2 in the box).

peacockcoins

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I got an email Friday saying my sets had been shipped.
  • I got my set today.......
    JoeCool
  • Hi Joe Cool....Whaz...Up...Buddy? Walt
    :3dancingsmiley
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Oh my! Another one of these went for $202.50 just for the Matte Proof.
    myurl
    MrSpud
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>Oh my! Another one of these went for $202.50 just for the Matte Proof.
    myurl
    MrSpud >>

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Anyone still have theirs? I came across my SEGS Schlag pair in the course of my coin cabinet rummaging. Haven't seen them in years. Any trace of them on the internet has almost completely dried up.

Very cool looking coins, however.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Ancient Thread Alert>
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I still have mine. image I'm not sure if I have just the 1 set or if I still have the 2nd....
    I actually sold my first set right after buying them for twice what I paid and immediately bought another set for myself - so those were free to me.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • That almost puts you in the flipping patriarch catergory
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...AND I bought another 1 or 2 sets in the last year. Push comes to shove they're. just. plain. neat. And that's the whole reason we're in this hobby image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Agreed. I think these will be a permanent fixture in my collection. I wouldn't have flipped them like that, but everyone was doing it...

Where'd you buy them, Weiss? I don't see them anywhere.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder what they're worth nowadays...

always thought they were pretty cool.

No idea. I put the value at $50 for the set in my inventory.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I would love to buy a set but I am not about to pay $500.

1938 Jefferson Nickel Award Winning Design Proof & BU
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No idea. I put the value at $50 for the set in my inventory. >>

That is quite a low figure for these sets. Not saying they are $500 sets, but made of .999 silver, 1,938 sets made.....$50 is WAY low, IMHO...I'd say $125-$150....most are in strong hands, and you Jeff collectors are mighty fond of that FSNC set!! I have one set, I wouldn't let it go for under $150-$175. Just TRY finding a set now, they are NOWHERE to be found...AND, alot were broken up, and sold as singles, keep that in mind, making the 2 coin, matching number set, tough to find.
    I'll come up with something.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my two sets - and am thinking of unloading one set.

Still think they are way cool - and I like the reverse design better than what was actually used.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No idea. I put the value at $50 for the set in my inventory. >>

That is quite a low figure for these sets. Not saying they are $500 sets, but made of .999 silver, 1,938 sets made.....$50 is WAY low, IMHO...I'd say $125-$150....most are in strong hands, and you Jeff collectors are mighty fond of that FSNC set!! I have one set, I wouldn't let it go for under $150-$175. Just TRY finding a set now, they are NOWHERE to be found...AND, alot were broken up, and sold as singles, keep that in mind, making the 2 coin, matching number set, tough to find. >>

For $200, I would snap up a set in a heartbeat, but $500 is a very optimistic price IMO.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • I have a funny feeling that the FSNC still has some available for sale at reasonable prices, and no way that 1.938 were minted. More like 300-400 sets.
    Since I am looking at set #820, I believe that they minted all 1938 sets.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..................I like the reverse design better than what was actually used.

time and its passage in the human mind is a peculiar thing. i suspect that if this design were what we'd been seeing on coins for 65 years that the reverse would be true.

<< <i>..................I like the reverse design better than what was actually used.

time and its passage in the human mind is a peculiar thing. i suspect that if this design were what we'd been seeing on coins for 65 years that the reverse would be true. >>

You may be right. But I always like to see buildings in perspective instead of just a front facade.

But the mint missed an opportunity to use that reverse when they were doing the Westward Journey designs.

• << <i>Since I am looking at set #820, I believe that they minted all 1938 sets. >>

I believe much less was minted, according to the secretary of the FSNC as of a few short years ago. The numbering might be arbitrary.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I was surprised to see this old thread show up with new postings after eight years, via all the emailed alerts I got over-night, because I subscribed to this thread way back when..

Still have one of the two sets I bought at the FSJNC's table at Long Beach shows eight or nine years ago, along with a years' worth of their pamphlet-style newsletters the table guy gave me for free back then, which had ads for these coins.. if I feel like spending the time, and / or if anyone wants me to bother, I'll photograph and post their original club nesletter ad for these coins from one of them..

Is that "Julian" who has the pair listed on eBay for almost $500.00 Julian Leidman?..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • 11111aspen has a single archive specimen of the GMM orig. Schlag design for nearly $500 BIN or Make Offer. That's Larry Lee, who bought out GMM.

<< <i>Agreed. I think these will be a permanent fixture in my collection. I wouldn't have flipped them like that, but everyone was doing it...

Where'd you buy them, Weiss? I don't see them anywhere. >>

I think I actually got a set from Hyp a year or two ago. And maybe another off of eBay? I don't recall exactly. And even though I'm not even close to a Jeff collector, these are definitely part of the permanent collection.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    I'll happily take $1000.00 for my pair, and toss in a bunch of FSJNC newsletters.. free shipping anywhere in the United Snakes..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Love the original art deco design and font. Too bad they didn't use it.
    Sets 728 and 800...

--Severian the Lame
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never seen these things before...is this another DCARR type of thing?...or something else?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Hand engraved dies by Ron Landis and struck at the old Gallery Mint Museum in Arkansas. (Counterstamped with FSNC initials and date.)
  • Apparently I was incorrect on the mintage for this set earlier. The full amount of 1,938 oieces were struck and delivered to the FSNC, half matte and half proof.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I've got a few sets also, including set 007 and 077. I was surprised at the quality when I first saw them so i bought a few. A fantasy nickel well done in silver, both flavors, yea one set is in the keeper box. Another has been in my storefront forever. Guess you have to see it in hand to really feel it.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?

<< <i>I've got a few sets also, including set 007 and 077. I was surprised at the quality when I first saw them so i bought a few. A fantasy nickel well done in silver, both flavors, yea one set is in the keeper box. Another has been in my storefront forever. Guess you have to see it in hand to really feel it. >>

PM SENT image
    --Severian the Lame
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding out for a set with Full Steps! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• << <i>I was surprised to see this old thread show up with new postings after eight years, via all the emailed alerts I got over-night, because I subscribed to this thread way back when..

Still have one of the two sets I bought at the FSJNC's table at Long Beach shows eight or nine years ago, along with a years' worth of their pamphlet-style newsletters the table guy gave me for free back then, which had ads for these coins.. if I feel like spending the time, and / or if anyone wants me to bother, I'll photograph and post their original club nesletter ad for these coins from one of them..

Is that "Julian" who has the pair listed on eBay for almost $500.00 Julian Leidman?.. >>

There is also a current auction there that offers a set of proof and matte for $300 BIN or Make Offer for about $300.00.
  • BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    A friend of mine at work bought a couple of these years ago. He assumed they weren`t worth much and was regrettiing it. Every time I run in to him he brings them up. Odd coincidence, I spoke with him the day before this thread resurfaced about them. I followed back up with him and let him know that there is definitely still interest.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

<< <i>I would love to buy a set but I am not about to pay $500.

1938 Jefferson Nickel Award Winning Design Proof & BU >>

He took a $425.00 offer for the pair, and listed another pair at $495.00 or "Best Offer"..

Someone else listed a pair starting at $1.00.. it has a week to go..

Curious, I dug into my safe, and found the slab-holder box with my pair.. I THOUGHT I had bought them at two different shows, and they weren't matched serial numbers, but they ARE matched serial numbers.. I looked at them less than ten minutes ago, and now I can't remember for sure, but I think they are set #735.. I vaugely remember buying the Matte Unc., and then buying the Proof later.. apparently, no one had bought the #735 Proof, and they had held it for me.. this was over ten years ago, so I can't remember all the gory details.. but I do remember paying just over $30.00 for the Unc., and just under $40.00 for the Proof, directly from the FSJNC at their table, at two successive Long Beach shows..

Also, without scrolling back through this whole thread, there are 1938 PAIRS of these coins, not 1938 total coins.. in case someone said that there were only 1938 total coins, Matte Uncs., plus Proofs.. gettin' old..

I bought them because they are VERY cool-looking, and being Silver, and already slabbed didn't hurt either.. neither does the insanely low Mintage..

I NEVER thought a pair would be worth over $400.00, but eBay just proved me wrong again..

• No, the webmaster from the FSNC wrote me recently that 1,938 total were minted, half matte and half proof.

<< <i>No, the webmaster from the FSNC wrote me recently that 1,938 total were minted, half matte and half proof. >>

Then what he told you contracdicts their original show booth table literature, which I had folded and stuffed into the slab box.. it said 1938 of each were made, or would be made.. maybe they were still in the process of having them struck and slabbed when they printed that, and reality changed from what was on their flyer.. if so, that makes them twice as rare..

• Indeed, in the mid-2009 issue of their newsletter, the Portico, that features both sides of that coin on the cover, in the inside cover it states that 1938 pairs "will be struck". But I just looked over the webmaster's email and he says a total of 1,938 were struck, half proof and half matte. (And his name is Matt.)
    I don't really know if that could be considered a tiny mintage, since it's definitely one of the higher mitages for Gallery Mint Museum productions. They had only come close to numbers like that stamping out souvenirs all weekend at coin shows. Anyway, Gallery Mint Museum closed shop in 2006 and was operating under a couple of different names for a short time after, so by 2009 there wasn't any more mint around to strike them. You will also notice that no one seems to have a higher serial number than the 800s.
    To me, someone who actively collects and studies the Gallery Mint Museum issues, $400 is quite high, all told. Sure, no one else has minted anything like it, as a prototype replica, but some of the issues they've struck to promote a redesign of the dollar coin, and passed around to legistlators can be obtained for that price with mintages of around 100 or so. But, if you have it to sell and people are willing to pay, who am I to say? I'd be looking for a cost under the issue price, myself.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << You will also notice that no one seems to have a higher serial number than the 800s. >>

Here you go.

Edited to add: here's an even higher number: 1777 (not mine).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i><< You will also notice that no one seems to have a higher serial number than the 800s. >>

Here you go.

>>

The plot thickens.. image
  • Regardless of the ultimate mintages and the eBay hammer prices, that must've been a heck of a rewarding fundraiser.
    BTW - On The Portico order form for these there is a space to list "Emission Number Desired (if available)".
  • Another btw - Here's a listing on Verne Walrafen's website devoted to the Gallery Mint Museum:
    1938 Jefferson Nickel Schlag Pattern Silver Proof 1,938 $42pp (from FSNC) Feb03
    1938 Jefferson Nickel Schlag Pattern Silver Unc. 1,938 $38pp (from FSNC) Feb03
    http://www.gmmnut.com/gmm/gmmtime.html
    Question for the group following this thread..

On 20 February, two days ago, eBay instituted a new rule that is worded that "copies" of coins can no longer be listed.. I am not a lawyer, and personally, I don't think these are copies, since the design was never Minted by the US Mint.. they are also not counterstamped "copy", as per the Hobby Protection Act.. so.. any lawyers in the crowd?.. Has anyone asked eBay if they're still alright to list?.. There are two or three pairs listed, and those listings refer to them as "tribute" coins, or "award winning design", or "original 1938 design"..

I've seen a pair sell for $425.00, another for $400.00, one pair went for $202.50, and there's currently a pair listed as a "Buy it Now" at $499.99..

So.. whadda think?.. do they fall under eBay's "no copies" rule, or do they not?.. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file