Original Felix Schlag Jefferson Nickel Design

13»

Comments

• MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 777 ✭✭✭
    My pair has serial number 1818

Mark
    Mark
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's another trinket of some sort that seems to get everybodie'ss attention. >>

Here's the HA description which got it some attention:

<< <i>1938 Pattern Jefferson Nickel PR66 Deep Cameo Uncertified. Not listed in Judd or Pollock. Left facing bust of Jefferson gazing upward, with the standard legends and date as on the circulating Jefferson Nickel. The reverse depicts Monticello with a map of Virginia below. The legends are consistent to the legends on the accepted design, but MONTICELLO is shifted left to make way for the map. Silver composition. This is a rejected design by Frans Karel Hejda from the design competition of early 1938. Felix Schlag's view of Monticello was rejected and the view changed to that seen on this piece, an unofficial pattern struck in an unknown small quantity in more recent years from a die made from the original Hejda galvanos. The die has since been destroyed. (#62300) >>

There's more info in this thread including this photo of Mrs. Nellie Tayloe Ross, (right) Director of the Mint, and Edward Bruce Chief, Treasury Dept. Procurement Division, Section of Painting and Sculpture with some of the 390 models submitted for the competition:

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see all the rejects of that competition. Heck, I can see a frontal shot of the Monticello on one of those casts and that guy didn't win?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    I have proof number 928 sitting on my desk.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I have the Matte Unc. and the Proof, and they're matched serial numbers, either #715 or #735.. I looked at them the other day, and put them back in the safe.. can't remember.. gettin' old.. but I bought them at the FSNC's Long Beach table ten years ago, at issue price.. $38.00, and $42.00..

Someone has an UNslabbed Proof on eBay from Ron (GMM) Landis' personal collection.. he'as asking $499.00 for it..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I have three plasters that are probably shown somewhere in that photo. If I knew how to take pictures and post them here I would, but alas I don't so I won't.

But I will say that they are way cool.

NJCC
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything that specifically identifies that piece on eBay as being from Landis's "archive" collection other than the text the seller offers (maybe it is Ron Landis?). It just appears to be an unslabbed example of these.

FWIW: I sold two sets in the last couple of weeks on eBay for about $200 a pop--one a BIN and one an auction.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • That is from the Gallery Mint Museum archives collection and is being sold by Larry Lee.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Check this

1938 Proof
  • MitchellMitchell Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 1938 Proof

I've always thought these were cool and have lusted after one of these. A bit pricey for me these days though.
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Hey Zoins.. fantastic old photo..

Thanks for posting it.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that these do not fall under the copy rules. The reverse of the coin is unique and not identicle to any circulating Jeffies.

I'm going to hide my Set #1010, just in case the government decides to confiscate these someday!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you enjoyed the photo hrlaser. I'm a big fan of US Mint history so it's always a pleasure to see photos like this. This one is courtesy of the Library of Congress and provided by Roger Burdette.

Good to hear about the plasters NJCC. Do you know who created the ones you own?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file