Home U.S. Coin Forum

Original Felix Schlag Jefferson Nickel Design

I know a few of you were interested in obtaing a set of these:

They just put up 5 more sets and I grabbed one. ( This is a newer listing )

LINKY-POO
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I just purchased a set. Thanks for the link. Do you know what the serial numbers are up to now?

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    The next 5 they just listed are #772 to 776
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Thanks for the link, I just purchased mine!

I think these are one of the coolest non-mint products I've seen in a while!

Ken
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. Just got mine.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • I guess I was too late...any idea on where to find a set? Thanks, Walt
    Someone posted a link in this THREAD.

Plus just keep an eye on the seller in the link I provided, he will be putting up more.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • I guess I am in the dark here ...what exactly is this ...Is it a commemerative ? WHy is it so valuable? What am I missing? More info please.
    Thanks all
    Snapmohr
  • They were made by the gallery mint and encapsulated by segs for the full step nickel club. They are the original design of Felix Schlag for the nickel. They are numbered and limited to 1,938 sets of two coins. a matte finish and proof example. I believe they are both silver. Joe
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess I am in the dark here ...what exactly is this ...Is it a commemerative ? WHy is it so valuable? What am I missing? More info please.
    Thanks all
    Snapmohr >>

Lookie here..

Click and scroll down a bit..

And all will be revealed..

The FSJNC usually has a table at the Long Beach Shows where they sell these SEGS slabbed Silver 1938 Nickel reproductions. Last year I bought one of the Matte Uncs. from them but passed on the Proof since I didn't have enough cash on me at the time..

The eBay price of $80.00 plus postage for the set is no big bargain, since they sell the coins for about $40.00 each at their table anyway, but eBay is an easy way to get them if you can't make it to one of the shows where they have a table..

They're a nice bunch of guys and they always have a very impressive Jefferson Nickel display at their table / booth at the Long Beach Shows.. They also publish a newsletter.. when I bought the coin last year I asked if I could have a copy of their latest issue and the guy running the table gave me a whole year's worth for free..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    well I happen to think this is an incredable design...he just listed 5 more....

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    This original 1938 design is the one The Mint should revert to when they're done with this Lewis and Clark Commemorative Nickel business..

The coin is simply beautiful. The Art Deco lettering really makes it. The diagonal view of Monticello is much more appealing than the head-on view we've been looking at since 1938. Although Full Step people will probably be pissed since the diagonal view of the building has NO steps.. image ..

If the [self censored] politicians who run The Mint had any imagination at all, THIS is the design they would use. To paraphrase John Candy, you'd probably have better luck playing Pick Up Sticks with your butt cheeks than to see that happen..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The eBay price of $80.00 plus postage for the set is no big bargain >>

Tell that to all the people that have been paying more than that for half sets, (one coin), recently. These things are heating up considerably, and $80 for the pair is going to look very cheap in the near future.

<< <i>The FSJNC usually has a table at the Long Beach Shows where they sell these SEGS slabbed Silver 1938 Nickel reproductions. >>

They are now sold out.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>

<< <i>The eBay price of $80.00 plus postage for the set is no big bargain >>

Tell that to all the people that have been paying more than that for half sets, (one coin), recently. These things are heating up considerably, and $80 for the pair is going to look very cheap in the near future.

<< <i>The FSJNC usually has a table at the Long Beach Shows where they sell these SEGS slabbed Silver 1938 Nickel reproductions. >>

They are now sold out.

Russ, NCNE >>

image When did this happen? The last time I saw a set pair sold on eBay, admittedly about a year ago, after someone advertised the auction in R.c.c., it went for less than $40.00. For both coins with matching SEGS slab serial numbers. That made me feel like an idiot for paying about $40.00 for just one of the coins.. image

I guess word finally got around about these, and suddenly they're in demand. Or two magic words: "Sold Out.." .. Well at least I got half a set.. and that was at least three Long Beach Shows ago.. since then I've walked past their table, reached for my wallet to buy the matching Proof, thought "Nah.." and put the wallet back.. silly me..

It reminds me of the 1908-1998 Canadian special Silver Proof Sets that their mint sold back in 1998, which recreated the 1908 Canadian coin designs.. original price was about $80.00 each. Remember those? They were advertised heavily, even to the point of full page ads, by Gatewest Coins and others. There was a frostd Proof set and an Antique Finish proof set, both in really pretty leather clamshell cases. The Cent in the Antique Finish set even had an error on it, in every sent. Their Mint engraver left off "Canada." I wanted the Antique set badly, saw it at the show for close to $100.00, and just whimpered.. ALL the coins in both sets, including the nickels and cents were silver. Only 25,000 of each set made.

Then the bottom fell out and I picked up both sets on eBay for less than $30.00 each.

Here's Gatewest advertising both sets together for less than they charged for one of them when they came out in 1998..

Link

Meanwhile, below the border, the US Mint made a set of two coins in 1998 and sold it for about $59.95, and made 63,000 of them, and a year later you could buy a set for $125.00, and a year after that, about $250.00, and a year after that about $400.00.. although they've fallen back a bit since then, and if you don't know which set I'm talking about.. well, sure you do.. RFK/JFK with the Matte Kennedy Half..

Take a look around and see what the 1995 Civil War two and three coin Proof Sets in the special pseudo quasi antique Union Cases are selling for these days.. and no one can even come up with a figure of how many of those Union Cased sets they made. I've been asking the experts for years.

So the point I'm trying to make here, maybe badly, is that for items like these, off the beaten path of Numismatics, sometimes the price skyrockets.. blink and you miss a bargain. Grab them in numbers when they come out and you can cash in later bigtime.. Other times, exactly the opposite happens. Wait a couple years, and the hot product that everyone had to have is selling for less than half its issue price.

There just aren't enough hours in the day to keep up with all this stuff.. image
  • Another ebay link to the newest auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3904007788&amp;category=11955&amp;sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&amp;rd=1

(sorry, i don't know how to create clickable links)

Take a look at the link below if you want to be really amazed !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3903230515&category=41088

ZOWIE !!!!

image Holy chit. I wonder if the seller I got mine from saw that auction? I know he sold 10 sets yesterday at $80.00 a piece.
    Bill

09/07/2006

<< <i>Another ebay link to the newest auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3904007788&amp;category=11955&amp;sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&amp;rd=1

(sorry, i don't know how to create clickable links)

Take a look at the link below if you want to be really amazed !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3903230515&category=41088

ZOWIE !!!! >>

Unfreaking believable.. while Mr. FSJNC is selling them at $80.00 the pair at the same time!?!?..

::faint:: [thud]..

I could not help myself I sent the winner this email:

<< <i>
    I was just wondering if you saw this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11955&item=3903910653

He had 5 sets at a buy it now price of $80.00
    >>

Bill

09/07/2006
    He put up one more auction, "Buy it Now" for $80.00 just like the one he put up this morning for five pairs which sold out in four hours.

This latest one was for six pairs, same price. I said what the Hell and pulled the trigger and bought a pair. The six pairs sold out in barely over 15 minutes.. you snooze, you lose..

I wonder how the joker who paid nearly $600.00 for the pair feels..

I wonder even more if I can resell my pair for nearly $600.00.. ::cackle::

Link

This sorta kinda reminds me of when Harris and Co. were selling those 5000 Glenna Goodacre signed Brass Bucks in the ICG slabs for $200.00.. I stared at their Web page and thought.. $200.00 for THAT??.. Duh..

He sold 21 sets in 2 days at $80 a set.

Message in his last auction:

NOTICE: Due to the rapid sales of these sets, the above six set numbers are our last group of sets in stock. We will post a 'Buy It Now' form taking advance orders for the next group of sets that we expect in approximately two weeks. This will work in the same fashion (earliest buyer gets the lower number in the sequence and so on).

Bill

09/07/2006
    I could have told you guys long ago that these would get very, very hot. How do I know? Because I sold mine when they were cold.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>He sold 21 sets in 2 days at $80 a set.

Message in his last auction:

NOTICE: Due to the rapid sales of these sets, the above six set numbers are our last group of sets in stock. We will post a 'Buy It Now' form taking advance orders for the next group of sets that we expect in approximately two weeks. This will work in the same fashion (earliest buyer gets the lower number in the sequence and so on). >>

Umm.. this begs the question, if the seller is the head honcho of the FSJNC, (and probably the guy I met at their table at the Long Beach Show(s).. ) .. and there are only 1938 pairs of these slabs, and they are sold out, and he's selling them in small batches on eBay, where is he coming up with more of them for advance orders for the next group that he expects in approximately two weeks??.. I mean, if they're not making anymore, I hope, then does that mean that they never DID make all 1938 pairs and that the ones he's taking advanced orders for haven't been made yet??.. So like they had [n] pairs made and slabbed, saw how they were selling, had [n] more pairs made, and so on, but all 1938 pairs were not made in one batch, but that was the set limit of pairs they were planning to make..

!?!?!!?!..

Still, in a country of over 280 million people, and allegedly tens of millions of coin collectors, 1938 of anything is an absolutely miniscule number..

As I've had the Matte Finish one in my collection for about two years, I can vouch that these are extremely high quality reproductions, and I only wish the other slabbers' slabs looked as nice as SEGS' slabs look.. that top label is really handy and they have a nice matte unslippery finish to the plastic..

IMO, in the coin marketplace, SEGS is underrated and should not be shoved down with the "bottom feeders" as they often are, when comparing grading services..

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Harv, buy some better date Morgan dollars in SEGS slabs sometime. Then you will see why I consider them at the bottom with ACG and NTC.
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I emailed the seller earlier about getting 2 consectutive numbered sets when his earlier auction skipped a numbered series
    this is what he replied
    <<We are about to post (in the next few minutes) the last 6 sets that we
    have in stock. They are consecutively #'d from 785 thru 790.

We are waiting for more sets to be slabbed by SEGS and shipped to us.
    It will take approximately 2 weeks till we have the next shipment.

Thanks for your interest. If you don't manage to buy from the 6 we're
    about to post, we will post to take advance orders for those that will
    arrive soon.>>

So, there's the answer. There's more sets at Segs or being shipped there.

Tom
    Tom - thanks. That's what I thought. They simply haven't had all 1938 pairs slabbed yet.. I wonder if Mr. FSJNC is surprised at how fast he's suddenly selling thee things after stocking them for two years and people showing hardly any interest..

Eric - You da man when it comes to MorgEn DollErs and I defer to your superior knowledge when it comes to SEGS' grading of them.. The only other SEGS slab I own holds my 1914-D Lincoln. I am not at all worried about it being a fake, or about their grading. It's only a VG-8 anyway image ..

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    deleted..............
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if anyone wants to take the plunge, I listed my set just now: 3904068019

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Err, never mind. Thanks, kingpinps4fhu, if you're around!!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • If you are a member of the FSNC, you are entitled to the set # that coincides with your membership number, for $80.00. Ahhhh, the benefits of membership (maybe I can get $500+ for my extra set).

MFS
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'

• << <i>I could have told you guys long ago that these would get very, very hot. How do I know? Because I sold mine when they were cold.

Russ, NCNE >>

And I thank you but I was silly enough to give one of them away. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

<< <i>And I thank you but I was silly enough to give one of them away. >>

I feel much better now about getting ripped. image

Russ, NCNE
    Dang that was some fast coast to coast shipping. Mine came in today!

I love these SEGS slabs.image

imageimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    About a year ago, these were selling (or being given away) for about $20. What a difference a year makes. I guess the modern market is so hot, that even replica coins are selling at unbelievable prices. What is the deal with the one that went for $500? Someone smokin' something there. I love the original design, it is too bad it is not in use at this time.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

• << <i>Umm.. this begs the question, if the seller is the head honcho of the FSJNC, (and probably the guy I met at their table at the Long Beach Show(s).. ) .. and there are only 1938 pairs of these slabs, and they are sold out, and he's selling them in small batches on eBay, where is he coming up with more of them for advance orders for the next group that he expects in approximately two weeks??.. I mean, if they're not making anymore, I hope, then does that mean that they never DID make all 1938 pairs and that the ones he's taking advanced orders for haven't been made yet??.. So like they had [n] pairs made and slabbed, saw how they were selling, had [n] more pairs made, and so on, but all 1938 pairs were not made in one batch, but that was the set limit of pairs they were planning to make..

<< <i>

I talked to Darrell Crane, President of the FSNC, this evening and in fact it is he that is selling these on eBay. He said that they slab them as needed because of the high costs. I am assuming that they had all 1938 coins minted (x2 because of the proofs) up front to generate a bulk deal from the GMM. They are certainly a beautiful coin. I have set #50. They are also available from the front page of my website at: www.varietynickels.com

Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

Set pair #785 received in today's mail from Mr. Crane.. it's nice to buy from a local seller that is only one mail day away image .. He's a class act.. the slabs were well-packed, informative little descriptive sheet included that can be stored away with the slabs..

#785 is, of course, the best serial number because numerologically speaking, 7+8+5=20, 2+0 = 2 and there are two coins and Thomas Jefferson had two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, two arms, two legs, two kidneys, and probably two of a bunch of other stuff..

So if anyone wants to buy this significantly numbered set pair, it's yours for only $2000..

::cackle::

No but seriously, take my wife, please..

This leaves me with the single Matte example with a much lower serial number that I bought from him at a Long Beach Show in 2002 right after the FSJNC started selling these. I will probably throw it up on eBay shortly.. I can't get to it right now, but some months after I bought it, I saw him at the next show and asked if its matching Proof slab number was available, and it wasn't image ..

Only time will tell if these things start escalating in price again, or if they head in the opposite direction. I noticed tonight he has put up yet another eBay "Buy it Now" sale of 20 more pairs for pre-order in a couple weeks..

I'm not pimping for him in any way, just making an observation for those of you who missed out on the first bunch of auctions.. how far away he is from totally selling out of all 1938 pairs of coins, I have no idea..

OK Harv, I'll bite. I just bought one of the sets. I better make some money on it, or you'll be hearing from me! image

<< <i>OK Harv, I'll bite. I just bought one of the sets. I better make some money on it, or you'll be hearing from me! image >>

Hey hey.. watch it now, I don't work here image ..

Who knows, you may even like them so much you'll want to keep them..

We'll see. Wonder how long it will take him to get these out.
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I think I am just a little confused about how FSNC is selling/slabbing these coins. As a member, I bought 4 of the proofs at two each at two different times (no MS). The first two are numbered 706 and 707. The second pair I bought are numbered 1666 and 1777.

How can they have not ALL been slabbed if my last two are so close to the end total? Did they slab them just for me as I asked for these two numbers specifically? Thats all I can think of!

David
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Guess the bubble popped, my only single just sold for what I bought it at,, $49. That was quick..
    Need something designed and 3D printed?

<< <i>Guess the bubble popped, my only single just sold for what I bought it at,, $49. That was quick.. >>

Not really. Crane himself has been selling pairs for $80.00 to $90.00, and singles for $40.00 to $50.00. Look at his 30 day auction selling history.. that pair that went for over $500.00 from another seller was some kind of fluke, because multiple bidders just had to duke it out without bothering to do a search. It's as though you walked down the supermarket aisle to pick up your usual whatever and then pushed your cart to the checkout stand right past a big display of the same whatever at a fraction of the price, without even noticing it..

Now either one of a few dynamics is at play here, and if I knew which, I'd be playing the stock market image ..

a) Crane is selling them as fast as he can list them because there is a perceived "HOT" status on them which is feeding on itself.. however, of this latest batch of 20 pre-orders he listed yesterday, he's only sold three of them, so has it reached the saturation point? The auction before that for 20 pre-orders sold out in a flash.. but then yesterday was Saturday and people were out or whatever..

b) The new Nickels out now are pushing anything that looks and walks and quacks like a Jefferson Nickel into gotta have it status, just like the State Quarters, as pathetic as most of them are brought in a bajillion new collectors and lit a fire under The Washington Quarter series..

c) Savvy people know how to grab a hot item and turn it around quickly for a profit, but just like Gold charts look like a roller coaster track, so do these.. A common date MS65 Saint went from $1000.00 to $1200.00 to $1350.00 to $1750.00 back down to $1350.00 on the PCGS Price Guide in a matter of about six months. There were too many big coin shows lumped together at the same time Gold was spiking to $430.00 and demand was finally satisfied as Gold started falling back to about $395.00. Now Gold is going up again. Everything runs in cycles. Sometimes very long cycles, sometimes very fast cycles..

d) There are always fluke auctions on eBay where something goes for an absolutely insane price that can only be explained by some bidiots jumping on it. I've seen this happen many times. My brother went to Tokyo Disneyland ten years ago and brought back about ten big wall map lithos of the place, rolled in tubes. They cost him $30.00 each. They sat in his closet until a few months ago when he decided to start eBaying them. $19.99 starting price. The first one he put up got jumped on by two bidders who pushed it up to over $450.00. There's no earthly way that litho is worth that much, but the underbidder took one with the "Second Chance Offer" option for a couple bucks less than the high bidder. So he sold two $30.00 lithos for $900.00. The next week he listed another one which went for about $30.00. The next week he listed one and couldn't get a single bid on it. And the next week. And the next week. So he stopped selling them for a while.

What did this tell us? That his first auction was a fluke, that some people see something and simply have to have it at any price. This is every eBay seller's dream when it happens. But how long it can sustain that price who can tell??.. This pattern happens over and over again. State Quarter Mini Bags. State Quarter First Day Covers. Buffalo Coin And Currency Sets. Some items can sustain a high price if supply and demand works in their favor. Some are a fad and peak and then you missed the peak and kick yourself because you never know when the peak was until it's passed you by.

I didn't buy a pair of his Nickels because I thought I could sell it the next week and get over $500.00 for them. I bought them because it appeared it was the only way to get a matched numbered set since I only bought a single one two years ago and its matching brother had already been sold when I went back to get it a few months later. I paid $40.00 for the single. If I can get my $40.00 back from it, I'll be satisfied with that. If, after they are ALL truly gone for good and he has no more to sell, ever, then we'll see what happens..

• I got two sets and just bought the 3rd to throw back in the safe for those who didn't get it to this action. I tried for set # 1938 gone. 938, gone Requested and Got: #'s 838, 911, 912/1938 sets. If they go and someone misses them, feel free to contact me about a set. (BTW...if you go direct with Mr. Crane) the cost per set w/s/h is 72.00

Walt
  • 66 tbird, when I look for these I search under the word schlag. I'm not sure what others do. Perhaps that could of hurt it.
    Didn't even occur to me, nemesis. In a very limited run series, how do you add value? By selecting serial numbers that might actually mean something to someone. Did it cost anything extra? Nope. Will someone be willing to pay a premium for it, even if it is just a small premium? Probably, if marketed correctly.

I bow to your wisdom. Well done!

Incidentally, here's the set I sold last Thursday: 3904068019

--Severian the Lame
    FYI there are more available.
    Bill

09/07/2006
    BIN'd another set for myself from the FSNC's "pre-sale" for $80 the same night I sold mine for $145 on eBay. That was a week ago Thursday, IIRC. Got an email a couple days ago from FSNC saying my new set was on the way to me.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Are the SEGS slabs the same size as the PCGS slabs???
    Basically the same size but a little different in design. They do fit in the PCGS Blue boxes with no problem.
    Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file