Home U.S. Coin Forum

TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION: IS THE PCGS AND NGC REGISTRY SET CRAZE CAUSING COIN COLLECTORS TO BURN OUT FAS

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am worried that coin collectors are burning themselves out faster and faster because they are too often trying to be on the fast track to be #1 or top 5, etc. This is a new phenomenon.

A fatigue/burn out factor that seems to be the result of a mania.

Part of our society's impulses towards immediate gratification?

I do not fault PCGS or NGC. We, as collectors must sit back and enjoy the process more and be less obsessed with the rankings?

Any thoughts, comments?
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    yes, I believe this to be posible...I was pursuing the best statehood proof set but once the gate opened in 2003 and 70's fell from the sky, I gave up.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I have always thought this whole registry thing was a farce and nothing has happened to change that feeling!!

But PCGS and NGC are loving it all the way to the bank!! image

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a negative impact of these registry sets is that they are causing many coin collectors to focus more on the grade of coins rather than the history, eye appeal and other aesthetics of coins.

These are very astute and profitable marketing programs used by the grading services to promote their products and stimulate sales.

Having said that, I don't see anything worng with using the registry sets to help organize your collection and to compare it relatively with others', as long as one does not let the registry set take control of your collecting interests, and therefore lose sight of whatever your true collecting interests are.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think as long are they aren't abused, the registries are OK. I would think that some people will go crazy buying things up for their set and burnout. They will also be poorer. The people that will go wild with it would probably get into trouble without the registries.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Speaking from my own experience, I got more involved in collecting in part because of the registry. Soon enough I found that the registry thing wasn't as fulfilling as knowing about coins and enjoying them, regardless of grade, for their beauty and for the history behind them. Now I find myself collecting more of the stuff that I like, without regard to feeling like I have to fill a set or get the number one rated coin. Hopefully more people will take this path to more enjoyable collecting.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always thought this whole registry thing was a farce and nothing has happened to change that feeling!!

But PCGS and NGC are loving it all the way to the bank!! image >>

Like he said.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may actually tend to drive them back top real collecting. The registry set bit never did anything for me. There is no question in my mind that the registry set craze is a fad and, like all fads, it will fade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I believe I have combined my natural interest in the history and rarity and beauty of Lincoln cent collecting with a natural desire to list my coins in the Registry. I know my collection is not the finest out there because I didn't buy the finest coins. I bought the nicest coins I felt I could afford without depriving me and my family of our standard of living. The result is I have a real nice complete set of proof coins and a real nice set of all the major business strikes. I do own all the other business strikes but I doubt I will have many more of them slabbed. Steveimage
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Registry set participants are nothing more than plastic collectors who spend far more buying points than the coins are worth, care only about the number on the holder, and never try to learn anything.

Russ, NCNE
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville, it's an interesting question. I speculate, having dabbled in the Registry a bit, and from speaking to others, the ones that "burn out" are the collector/accumulators and not the tried and true, lasting Collector. It doesn't take the Registry for these accumulators to reach a peak of burn out, but it does- in some cases, speed up that process.

Guys who love coins, with or without a "Registry" in play are here for the long haul. The Registry has no ill effect on them whatsoever (other than to possibly drive up the price on some of the coins they are seeking).

peacockcoins

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always thought this whole registry thing was a farce and nothing has happened to change that feeling!!

But PCGS and NGC are loving it all the way to the bank!! >>

I said this a long time ago & got blasted for it. I guess maybe now the light is shining through.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    I wish I remember the date that my Q & A question to david about this so someone could post it here.

I agree with Russ & Stuart & M.S. 70 on this.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man am I glad to see you all are thinking correctly...registries are nothing more than a "product loyality program". It also goes against the major reason why collecting is so popoular with any and everyone. We can visit this Forum, new and experienced collector because we all have access to the coins depending on our budget, time and experience. But only a few have any access to registry sets. We are talking here that less than .01% of all collectors could ever expect to get a set up and running. I congradulate you if you have but it has to be exspensive to keep that small of a group of collectors fueled. More would gladly go for it if the cost if slabbing wa less and lower graded coins where placed in a catagory like an "Fine Set". But we all know that is not going to happen. Heck, I thought about it, But the cost just to slab my non PCGS stock would be enough to have a nice Mercury Dime Collection!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit that I don't "get it", the whole registry thing is a complete anathema to me. "Competitive collecting" goes entirely against the grain of what the hobby means to me. Having said that, I do think the registry thing is one of the all-time great money making ideas in the industry. A bit of genius given the minimal investment required (on the part of PCGS and NGC) and the response generated. I just can't ever see becoming a collector driven by that scheme.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    The set registry has been a great phenomenon, not just for the competition it creates between collectors and the monetary benefit to PCGS and NGC. Through listing my set on the registry, I have come into contact with other collectors that share my interests and have been able to share incredible amounts of information about dealers, populations of coins, and find the whereabouts of many important coins. A few trades and purchases have occurred and I have learned a lot. Thus my knowledge and connections have increased greatly because of the registry.

Some individuals will burn out over trying to go too fast or trying to buy the highest graded without becoming educated numismatists, but I don't find the registry to blame very much for such impulsive behavior. Impulsive people carry their personalities and consequences whether or not registries exist. It is very difficult to have a positive investment in coins taking the impulsive approach, but some people don't care and it is the joy of collecting that is their value from the hobby.

None of us live in a vacuum where the registry collecting has zero impact, but I don't see that the PCGS registry site has unduly influenced how I have approached collecting my set of mint state barber halves. This has been a work in progress for over 10 years and I try to buy the best coin I can for reasonable money. That doesn't mean I may not have chased a coin or two that I shouldn't have. As my set has evolved there are certain goals that I have set that seem to me to be reasonable. I can't help but notice that my set is only a small distance behind the Eliasberg set. That gives me a target that I can try to reach, but the timeframe is totally open, as any upgraded coins need to be careful purchases of nice coins. Likewise, I still lack about 16 coins in MS65 or better, but I do like most of my MS64 graded coins which are truly rare coins with a great look. The point is that I am not fixated on grading numbers and trying to use that as my primary goal.

Dr. Pete
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    There are many positive things about the Registry.

I enjoy photographing and posting my coins, knowing they will be seen by others interested in the series.

I enjoy seeing their coins.

I like having population information right there, easy access.

I looked down my nose at registry participants before I started my own set, and started to see what merit there was to be had by participating. Funny how things work that way.

I don't like hockey. So I don't go to hockey games or criticize people who do. What's the point?

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • I have a Proof Kennedy registry set and was really in to it, until I looked at what it would take to compete at the top. The top set, at that time, had 34 Pr70DCAM's in it!! That, in retrospect, was the end of my registry set experience.

I have enjoyed some fringe benefits from being a registry set member, but I realize that I am interested in way too many aspects of numismatics, to concentrate the amount of resources and time that it takes to have a respectable, by my terms, registry set.

The biggest impact the registry sets have had,in my opinion, is to ramp up the prices for nice, highly graded coins for us non Registry set collectors. So, I do not think that I have had any burnout, but I have passed on many coins that were priced out of my range, simply due to registry set influence. JMHO.image
    Gary
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible. I notice that the Registry Set phenomenon has pushed up prices of some 19th Century type coins beyond what I am willing to spend for them. For this reason, it sometimes takes longer to find something I want at what I consider to be a reasonable price. It does increase my frustration with the hobby at times, but I wouldn't use the term 'burnout.'

I also notice that on occasion, when I want a lot consultation re an auction coin, people seem to be genuinely interested in speaking with me, because I am asking questions about the specific coin, not just about the number on the slab.

To some degree, the Registry Set phenomenon reminds me of the hype in the hobby when there was a big push to get 'investors' took place in the 1980s. I think that the people who want the "finest known" fill in the blank will get burnt out and leave the hobby more quickly, but people who
    really like coins per se will stick around.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brought this up for discussion not necessarily to criticize the registry concept but to remind collectors that some of us need further education or "counseling" to keep our heads and minds on the true essence of collecting. Registry collecting can be a healthy part of the whole picture, but should it BE the whole picture?????????

Same thing regarding the internet in general. There are untold millions of people addicted to the internet. They need a life outside the internet. Does that make the internet evil?

Same thing with alcohol, drugs, etc. etc.

An additional issue should be if the grading services and the ANA and other collectors like ourselves should start offering inexpensive "help sessions" to collectors to overcome their obsession to the registry collecting?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • I have mixed feelings about the registry -- it's a great marketing scheme, but overall "the game" isn't for me.

I'm currently working on two sets, a set of Liberty Nickels and a set of Indian Quarter Eagles. I decided that I would try to complete my set of Liberty Nickels in PCGS slabs and my quarter eagles in any slab (I was planning to crack them out expect for the 1911-D, but have since changed my mind). I have a registry set for my nickels, and it's fun to see my set listed online along with other collectors, but PCGS coins can be more expensive just because of the plastic, and I've had to ignore some coins because they weren't in the "right plastic." At least you get a few free gradings when you're over 90% complete, and I have a few coins waiting to cross once I hit 90%. As for the quarter eagles, I find that ANACS graded coins look just as good and I often get these for a bit cheaper than I would PCGS coins. True, I can't take part in the registry for this series, but so what? I know when I have a complete set that it will be a nice set regardless of what plastic it's in.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registry set participants are nothing more than plastic collectors who spend far more buying points than the coins are worth, care only about the number on the holder, and never try to learn anything.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, that may be true for some of the Registry participants, but it sure isn't true for me. I am as proud to own my 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent graded PCGS PR61RB with a carbon spot over Lincoln's head as I am to own my 1990 no "S" Lincoln proof cent graded PCGS PR68DCAM that I purchased in 1993 unslabbed. I used to buy slabbed coins and break them out to put into my Capital holders. The fun of the registry for me is participating and completing my collections at whatever grade they turn out as. I certainly am ahead a bit money wise after 21 years, but all the money in the world wouldn't have made me happier than the enjoyment I get reading about and looking at my Lincoln cents. JMHO. Steve
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    As with almost anything, some people are simply more competitive than others. For some, it is simply coin collecting, for others, it is a competition. I have done a few registry sets, and I think there is a burnout factor. It is not that they are bad for the hobby or anything like that, but people can get a strong addiction to searching for the highest point pieces. I am no longer doing registry sets for anything other than a means of keeping track of my coins, and I find I enjoy the hobby substantially more now.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I think you all completely underestimate the number of registry set participants who are tried and true collectors, and collect the coins, not the holders, and would have nearly the same collection as they do if there wasn't a registry. In a classic 20th century series or something like Morgan/Peace dollars, most high grade (expensive) coins happen to be found already in pcgs/ngc holders, and so why not register them for the heck of it? And similarly for the Modern Series, how else are you going to find a high grade coin... I don't know of any dealers who stock and sell raw ms66/67 moderns (too bad, they could cost less without grading fees). Around 2000 registry set participants is such a tiny number of people among all coin collectors, and I think outside of pop 1/0, 2/0 coins etc, it has influences very little. I agree with with pcgs claim it has made collecting more fun, because it is fun to register your coins for the heck of it, post pictures, view others sets, be in awe of the top sets... it's really neat (just way too bad grading fees are so high, slabs are too big, grading is inconsistent, etc... those aren't problems with the registry though).
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

In 2002 I had 13 #1 sets (the award certficates are just sitting in a drawer somewhere).

I'm down to 9 sets now (from a high of 30).

I'll sold off all my PR70DCAM's last year (except I kept one of the ones I made) and my registry goal is to make a PR70DCAM state quarter for my set in the next 5 years.

I reverted back to albums and PCGS coins I buy now are pretty much cracked out and the coin is put in an album.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the registry, I wouldn't have really started collecting again. I don't participate in it right now, but it helped get me over the hump in getting interested again.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

PCGS sent an email about the upcoming 10,000th set. Here is their take on the Registry...

It has been a great three years. We launched the PCGS Set Registry in February, 2001 with just 327 sets. Today, we are closing in on 10,000 U.S. coin sets! We have grown every month with new sets and members. Today we have 907 different set composites and 2,086 members participating in the program.

The PCGS Set Registry has forever changed the face of the coin market. It has given collectors the desire to focus on specific areas and sets. It has developed a world-wide community of collectors who can now easily communicate with each other through email and message boards. It provides collectors with the opportunity to “display” their sets in a safe environment. Coins are no longer relegated to a dark safe deposit box. Pride of ownership, friendly competition, and inventory management are just some of the benefits. But by far, the most important element that the PCGS Set Registry has brought to the marketplace is the fact that it has made coin collecting FUN again.

One factor that has contributed to the PCGS Set Registry’s success is the enthusiasm of all who participate in the program. With very little advertising in the beginning, the Registry virtually marketed itself by word of mouth. In four very short months, the number of sets had doubled. Today, this enthusiasm remains one of PCGS’s driving factors to make the Registry the best it can possibly be.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

• << <i>"Competitive collecting" goes entirely against the grain of what the hobby means to me. >>

Exactly my thoughts.

Fair warning, I will be stealing that line in the future. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • I had three registry sets that I dropped out of. The only one left is the one for my two grandsons. It is not costing me a bundle and has only 8 coins to it. I try to "make my own" which helps hold down the cost. I just made a 1970-D in MS66 on Monday. Thats the fun part of it. As for other coins, I just like to find high grade raw coins for my raw sets......Ken
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whether you have a Registry Set or whether you don't.....................if you're hung up or focused on competition you've really missed the boat. if you can only see negative aspects about the Registry, you probably tend to be cynical or look at the negative side of most things. but hey, that's evrybody's free choice.

i tend to view the whole thing as an oppurtunity to share my set with like-minded collectors and i try to advance my knowledge of the hobby and especially about the coins and series' which really interest me. that's just my approach and it brings me enjoyment. i've also had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know some of the other like-minded collectors, which is what it's really about.

the irony of the whole thing is that without the whole Registry craze and all that it's done to help invigorate the hobby that we all participate in here, it's an even bet that we wouldn't even be here discussing the topic at hand. think on that for awhile, it might surprise you!!

al h.image
  • The one thing I do like about the registry is that some people post pictures of their coins and that can be interesting to look at. much more interesting than those with just numbers. image As an aside, I wish more people here would put a link to their registry sets (with pictures) in their sigs. I usually click on them when I see them.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • I think back to when I started collecting half cents and there was a focus on condition census coins. They are so scarce that it was fun to trace their history back through the decades. I have one coin that I bought from an old time collector, that Breen says he doesn't know what happened to it. There always was an attempt to classify the finest known examples. My problem with today's registry sets is that they are the highest graded, not the finest coins. I had the opportunity to buy a pop 2 coin and a pop five coin that I needed and I passed on them. They were not quite perfect enough for me and I decided to let someone else have them in their registry. I think the best part is getting to know some of the collectors on the forum and to see what kind of collections people are putting together.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am worried that coin collectors are burning themselves out faster and faster because they are too often trying to be on the fast track to be #1 or top 5, etc. This is a new phenomenon.

Oreville - Excellent observation and very true! Along these lines, it's interesting to me that the shorter holding periods may to some extent justify paying otherwise stupidly high prices for some coins. After all, the market has less time to "correct" (meaning that a loss is less likely than if the coin was held for the long run), and the holding costs are lower. (Interestingly, the same has been argued by some economists as a rational basis for Tulip Mania. No offense intended. Really.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a registry person, but if it makes the hobby more enjoyable for some collectors... thats fine. I have mentioned this before but Americans are just too caught up in rankings and it is everywhere... college football, films (think of the American Film Institute's list of the greatest 100 films), Top 40 music... and the list goes on. Frankly, I can do without someone telling me what is good and what isn't.

Coins represent history and art. Lets just stick with art for the moment. And with art, it is often said that in the matter of taste, there is do dispute. While grading has guidelines, there is still a subjective component and that will never change. I would rather not have my coin factored into some formula as part of a set and that totality then becomes the basis to say set X is ranked higher than set y. And just because this doesn't work for me doesn't make it wrong. I still believe that there is a need for TPG now and for the forseeable future.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    The registry set thing is what you make it.

I think we are all competitive and want to see how we fair against fellow collectors. It is a good thing to have a tracking system.

The fall safe for the registry sets is their casual nature.

No one is coming to your house to verify that you actually own the coins or that the coins are truly the grade on the slab and not what we would consider under or over graded. you don't get minus points for an ugly coin graded ms64 (the minus comes in trying to resell it). When you play the cross over game you can still register the higher of the two.

It is for good natured fun for most of us.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer.

Modern Coin Colllectors....Yes

Classic Coin Collectors.....Not a Chance.

Ken
  • What Braddick said
    Guys who love coins, with or without a "Registry" in play are here for the long haul. The Registry has no ill effect on them whatsoever (other than to possibly drive up the price on some of the coins they are seeking).
    LOOKING FOR PCGS MS 68-SACAGAWEAS AND MS67 SBA'S
    DID I WIN???
    RATS
    I NEVER WIN.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's done 2 things to me.

The bulk of my collection was accumulated before the registry. It HAS caused me to be impatient and created the impulse to buy substandard coins just to finish the set. This has been resisted to date.

The second is, it's made nice IHC/FE cents even harder to find AND more expensive. If I had started out with the same personal goal in 2004 as I had in 1995, I wouldn't have a chance of completing it.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I had coins that sat in two safety deposit boxes for seven years without accessing them once. I decided just to sell the lot, then noticed the registry concept when trying to determine their value.

It made me think about why I was interested in coins and collecting. The history, the art of the coin, the details of the design, the individuality of the coins, the order of the universe, etc.

I decided to focus on a collection not a hodge podge. So I started selling off the odds and sods. Now, I'm trying to complete a modern proof set. Yes, in high points, but also in high eye appeal. I am getting better at knowing the likelihood of a crossover and the real grade/quality of a coin.

However, I can't bring myself to sell off some great eye appeal CC Morgans. I can't sell the coins that remind me of the stage of life when I obtained the coins. I can't sell the attractive coins I made from proof sets, even if not top pop. So, mostly I'm buying not selling.

Overall, I like the registry concept. I agree that the photos are a key, not just the bar code. I admit I like the competition. However, the competition is versus the attainment not the other collectors. I wish the agencies could get consist with grades.

I am spending a lot of time on this hobby, but if I burn out I will still have the collection.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Excellent thread Oreville and as usual many insightful posts! God, I hope I don't butcher his Nickname

but Rottnrog summed it up beautifully! What an excellent ploy to use human nature to boost business

in the form of submissions. Just think about this for a moment...a Gem MS 65 coin -as far as I'm

concerned- used to be a prize. Now it's little more than commonplace. A Gem is not good enough to be

in many Registry Sets! Pretty amazing when you stop and think about it. I mean, REALLY !

I have seen myself do away with a seemingly PERFECT coin to buy a coin with a higher grade that

looks terrible! There is a bias there somewhere. There is also favoritism and punishing those who

happen to speak their minds. If I have a coin that is White and totally blemish free, with a strong

strike-no ticks, dings, hits or unbroken lustre-how is it that a weaker struck coin that even a child

could see, grade higher just because it exhibits Mint Set toning? JUST EXACTLY WHAT IS THE

STANDARD?

I can recall a time when holding History in my hands-old circulated coins held by countless others

thrilled me, but today a 66 that really ought to be a 67 isn't good enough and so I substitute this

totally lovely coin with some funky-butt ugly 67 just to move up a notch or two and to make matters

worse when I sell this 66 to someone else who is in "Good graces" and he cracks it out and it comes

back PCGS 67....well-it's enough to make me want to chew Glass! I believe it to be a fair statement that

we all pay good money, IN GOOD FAITH, to have our coins accurately graded the first time around.

So. The Registry, which started out as such great fun, isn't so much fun anymore! PCGS would be

NOTHING without us...NEVER FORGET THAT !!

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    The Registry is Crazy fun!!! I love it!

More Registry for me....

to those that say Registry set people only chase points and plastic.....

You have never had the pleasure of seeing my GEMs in person....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    Boom - If you can accept that grading is subjective, you should realize that most if not all of these problems are inevitable. Deal with it.
    Andy Lustig

Andy, I would expect that "subjective" routine from a dealer of raw coins trying to sell an over

graded coin.... NOT the pre-eminent technical grading service in the world today! Deal with THAT!
    Boom - How would it even be POSSIBLE for a grading company to grade with anything approaching 100% consistency? If you can convince me that it's possible, I'll raise my expectations.
    Andy Lustig

• << <i>Registry set participants are nothing more than plastic collectors who spend far more buying points than the coins are worth, care only about the number on the holder, and never try to learn anything.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ..... I agree with you in part that there are definately some collectors that buy the plastic and not the coin... But it is unfair of you to lump all colectors including myself in with those that do this....

My Walkers are in the registry set, and I have the #3 spot in the late date set from 1933-1947...... I specialize in high end for the grade, gorgeously toned walkers..... If I wanted the top spot in the late date, or short set for that matter that would have been accomplished long ago..... I have returned many coins to dealers in higher grades than what I already have in a lower grade, but because the higher graded coin didn't have the other qualities I like in my Walkers, (which is mostly gorgeous original toning), I return them because I look for quality, and color regardless of the grade, and not just the grade on the holder.
    Andy-Not too long ago tradedollarnut started a thread about the stratification of yada yadaa-remember?

It was a long enlightening thread! Case and point...move over a couple threads and look at Lucy's 55-

D. I have seen DOGS for 67s yet she cannot get the correct grade on her coin! LOOK AT IT!... Do you

think for $30/$50/ $100 PCGS is going to permit Lucy to have a pop-top 1/0 without paying a LOT of

money for it? THAT my friend is a downright, disgusting shame. Just grade the coin according to it's

merits. When is enough money -enough money already? This is crazy!

I have 3 PCGS 67 coins in front of me right now that look like crap! This girl's coin is stunning and PCGS

is wrong for not giving her the correct grade!image
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    As a competition, the whole concept of the registry is a perversion of what collecting is supposed to be.

HOWEVER, this can all be daunting for new collectors who aren't sure what coins they like, how much to spend, what grades mean, how to evaluate a coin, etc. Registry sets can help new collectors approach the hobby in a focused, organized way.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Cats... I don't want to speak for Russel, He'll show up and say his piece i'm sure....

but doesn't anybody see the sarcasm in his post?

He is pro Registry........ IPOTAD......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

<< <i>Boom - How would it even be POSSIBLE for a grading company to grade with anything approaching 100% consistency? If you can convince me that it's possible, I'll raise my expectations. >>

OK...That's your question? I'll give you MY answer....it will be about as popular as when cars were first being built using robotics replacing human beings...IT WASN'T!

Case and point-since Detroit and all the automakers have done away with humans building cars, they

run forever.. when in the good ole days, a car either needed a Major overhaul at 65,000-75,000 miles

or it was History. NOW THE CARS RUN FOREVER. You used to get a 3 year-30,000 mile warranty back

then-if you were lucky. My favorite most dependable vehicle happens to be a NISSAN that just turned

456,000 miles-damn near enough to go to the moon AND BACK TO EARTH! All original-never had a problem. I DO HAVE OTHER VEHICLES but I like it best...OLD FAITHFUL !

OK- so what does this have to do with coins? To answer your question. With the technology in place today-that 20 years ago was a Star Trek fantasy being real today. THE ONLY WAY to have coins accurately technically graded the first time around is by using computers and specs with the human being adding the finishing touches for aesthetics ONLY! Computer software that measures everything from the tiniest of ticks to die polish etc etc. A scale will be in place for that year's top coin and all others will be measured against it!- The Barometer-the yardstick by which all others are measured! Apples to Apples- Oranges to Oranges. without all the BS.
    Do you think for $30/$50/ $100 PCGS is going to permit Lucy to have a pop-top 1/0 without paying a LOT of money for it?

If they can honestly grade it 67? Of course!

First, the graders really do try to get the grade RIGHT. Second, PCGS is not counting anyone else's money. Third, PCGS makes more money when their customers find their services to be a good investment.

If anything, PCGS should be biased towards giving away "scores", especially to vocal members of our illustrious Forum community.
    Andy Lustig

• I not only believe a burnout is posible, I'm counting on it and hoping for it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if the money grubbing exploitists of this hobby would work themselves into a buy-out-sell-nothing frenzy.

In fact, I would love to see the market suddenly drop though the floor for a period,... long enough to cause a serious panic and make those who are into this strictly for the money, lose control. A total crash!!

Unlikely, and wishful thinking on my behalf, but still a nice dream. It would give me a chance to snag many a piece for my collection,... a collection I have no intention of parting with anytime soon.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file