Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you invest in a coin mutual fund?

Greetings, All -

What if there was a coin mutual fund started, where people could by shares of the fund and the fund would purchase and hold a diverse mixture of rare coins?

Would you invest in such a fund? This kind of thing would be for investing purposes only, because the coins would actually be owned by the fund.

I don't know if such a thing exists, but it might be good for those who need a small percentage of commodities in their investment portfolios.

What do you think?

Dan

Comments

• No, I would rather have the coins...forget mutual funds.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea has been suggested to me by someone I respect and trust. I do not like the idea. To me, while coins have value and may appreciate in value, they are too illiquid to be investments. Robert
  • Just like any other 'fund' it all depends on the manager ... if they know what they are doing it would be nice.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Nope, I wouldn't invest in coins that way.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Absolutely not.

To even begin to list the reasons would be overwhelming. I will simply say "no."

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe Solomon, Smith, and Barney did just such a thing back in 1989-1990.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • There are hard asset funds out there that do invest in coins as part of the portfolio.
  • No.

Coins are not an investment and do not belong in a mutual fund.

If you want commodities buy a commodities fund.

If you want a coin investment buy CLCT the owner of this site and PCGS. The stock is up 50% over the last 24 months but down 50% the last 5 yrs.
  • Offhand, I see several problems with a coin mutual fund:

1. The fees associated with running a mutual fund would eat into the profits. You’ve got to pay people to select the coins, store them, keep shareholder records, have an office, advertising, etc. and these would have to be paid through mutual fund fees.

2. The bid/ask spread in coins is much larger than in the stock market, so the coin price has to increase more just to break even.

3. The coin market is illiquid compared to the stock market. To move a large dollar amount of coins on a regular basis would probably require auctions that take time to advertise, conduct and collect the money.

4. The people who are skilled at selecting undervalued coins are already doing it for their own account and don’t need this type of arrangement. To attract the type of talent needed, you would have to pay them significantly higher than they are currently earning, moving your breakeven point out even further.

5. The skill involved in selecting undervalued coins is probably not “scalable”. For example, let’s say a person with the necessary skill has $1million of his own money to work with and he can pick coins that increase 25% per year, earning $250k. If you give this same person $100 million to work with, it’s not likely that he’ll be able to find that large of a quantity of coins undervalued by 25%.

6. The coin industry is much less regulated than the securities industry and there is a potential for scams. An unscrupulous mutual fund dealer, along with a few confederates could manipulate the early returns via bogus sales, then when publicity attracts more investors, they would take the funds and skip town.

Mike
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    No way. One of the reasons why some people ( myself included) invest and even deal in coins is the issue of privacy. There is no privacy when buying funds.

Many clients of mine would also agree that privacy and portability is one of the most important aspects of making an investment in coins.

Ain't no body's bidness of my own.

TP image
  • No. I like to buy them myself.

Same with stocks. I don't buy mutual funds, I buy individual stocks.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    No.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Nope.

Ray
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. Never. BAS Eagle summed it all up pretty well.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    No
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I would invest in Collector's Universe:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Didn't they have some of these back in the late 80's early 90's put on by the big brogkerage houses? Did the FTC or SEC make them stop? I have a vageu memory on this. Anybody know for sure?
    DSW
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    There's no reason why there couldn't be a coin fund, but what's the point?

From an investment standpoint, they're illiquid assets in a somewhat unpredictable market.

Aside from that, what pleasure would a collector get from investing in a fund? Maybe if the fund managers passed the coins around to all shareholders to keep in their personal collections for a period of time...

Well, you see the problems with that.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Discretionary spending is the first thing lost in a economic downturn.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it was not called a mutual fund, per se, this idea was actually tried back in the 1980's. If I recall correctly the first group to do this timed the market very well and made quite a bit of money. The follow-on attempts ran into the great crash of the late 80's/early 90's and did very poorly. I recall attending a sales seminar for one of these in the late 80's. I asked some pointed questions which were not appreciated by the promoters. I didn't invest...thank goodness!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭
    "The bid/ask spread in coins is much larger than in the stock market, so the coin price has to increase more just to break even."

That's the problem!!!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ummmm...no

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't trust what my money was buying.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    NO!

Joe
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The bid/ask spread in coins is much larger than in the stock market, so the coin price has to increase more just to break even."

That's the problem!

Actually, that's the opportunity! Assuming that the "mutual fund" is trading like a dealer, it can make money even when the market goes sideways. I'd invest if I respected the traders and the deal was structured fairly.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Madness! Am I the only one to remember when the Big Boys tried it -- only to have their coins disappear?

"Merrill Lynch & Co. announced that 399 coins costing $3.3 million were missing from the NFA World Coin Fund limited partnership. In August Merill said it would reimburse investors in the NFA fund for their initial purchase price and likewise would pay investors in its two other rare-coin partnerships, both of which had fallen in value. The moves cost Merrill up to $30 million." [Roger Boye, Britannica Book of the Year 1995 (Events of 1994), page 117.]

Do you really think anyone could do any better today? Au contraire! In this era of Worldcom and Enron, I doubt anybody would get their money back!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Would you invest in a coin mutual fund?

I can't even imagine trying to explain something like this to my wife.
    Do you really think anyone could do any better today? Au contraire! In this era of Worldcom and Enron, I doubt anybody would get their money back!

There may be as many as two dozen people in the country to whom I would entrust my own money for such a purpose. (BTW, none of them ever worked for Enron, Worldcom or NFA.) Granted, most investors lack my capability to judge the fund managers, so they might be well advised to avoid ALL such funds. But that doesn't mean that a market insider such as myself should religiously avoid this class of investment.
    Andy Lustig

I can't even imagine trying to explain something like this to my wife.

CCU - Is that because you think your wife would think that investing in a coin fund would somehow be like collecting coins? If so, perhaps you should let ME explain it to her. image
    Andy Lustig

Madness! Am I the only one to remember when the Big Boys tried it -- only to have their coins disappear?

Fountainhead - You would avoid all coin funds because one went bad? Using that logic, you would avoid all stocks because of Enron. While that is your prerogative, it does not make for sound advice.
    Andy Lustig

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. If this happens, I am a seller.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
    If this happens, I am a seller.

jcping - There are already a number of such funds, although to the best of my knowledge none have been marketed to the public. Good thing you didn't know it or you might have cashed out years ago, way too soon!
    Andy Lustig

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would do it, but there are only about half a dozen people in all of Coindom I would trust to run it.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Andy, I would be interested in how you would like to see your selected fund manager value the fund on a daily basis. To me this is the greatest obstacle in making coin funds viable.

I am intrigued that you, a savvy dealer, would entertain participating in a coin mutual fund.
  • Fountainhead - You would avoid all coin funds because one went bad?

More than one. I think Kidder-Peabody's met a similar fate. The SEC started issuing warnings in 1991. PCGS was forced to add some sort of disclaimer - about the risk the coin market can fall. Salomon Brothers, reading the writing on the wall, had already dropped rare coins from its investment index by 1992.

If experienced dealers and collectors can only count a dozen people they would entrust with such an investment, my response is that clearly that is not a large enough number of trustworthy people. It takes more to administer such a fund.

And don't even think you can just walk in the vault to check on the holdings -- the insurance company will forbid it. Even so, storage costs on top of the usual overhead will easily drive up costs far above normal. Small investors will see their local safe-deposit box as more attractive; heavyweights will court Brinks for transport and Mat Securities (Switzerland) for storage.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    NO.
    Dr. Pete
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

No thanks. As it is I run a coin mutual fund at my house.

The dealers running the fund would love it! They would buy coins at wholesale and "sell" fund shares priced using retail values. Cool, clean 20%+ to the dealers, while the suckers... errr.... investors never know the difference. It's already been done with Small Cap stock funds.
    I would be interested in how you would like to see your selected fund manager value the fund on a daily basis. To me this is the greatest obstacle in making coin funds viable.

FatMan - Good point. Because there's no precise way to value the fund, I wouldn't be comfortable setting a precise value for the units. On the other hand, if allowed by law, I'd be happy to make a spread and trade the units on behalf of the fund. (Forgive me for not being able to provide a very sophisticated answer. I'm hardly an expert on mutual funds and the laws that govern them.)
    Andy Lustig

The dealers running the fund would love it! They would buy coins at wholesale and "sell" fund shares priced using retail values. Cool, clean 20%+ to the dealers

Fishcooker - Like you, I would not invest in a fund operated in such a manner. However, I can easily envision a fund in which I WOULD invest.
    Andy Lustig

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if it was the only way I could invest in coins. But I'd rather manage my own, thank you! image
    Yes, if it was the only way I could invest in coins. But I'd rather manage my own, thank you!

TDN - There's something to be said for letting other people make money for you while you hang at the beach or - perish the thought - work at a real job!
    Andy Lustig

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Mutual funds make mutual fund managers rich. Do your own homework (just like in the market) and make your own decisions.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's something to be said for letting other people make money for you

Oh, I agree completely. But the biggest factors in making money in coins are opportunity and time. Opportunity to buy the right coin and time to hold it until the ultimate buyer [or market]. In between those two events, there's plenty of time for the beach! image
    Opportunity to buy the right coin and time to hold it until the ultimate buyer [or market]. In between those two events, there's plenty of time for the beach!

Count me out on the Legend Fund. When and if I invest in coin "mutual fund", I assure you that the managers will be full time traders. imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would invest in the Legend Fund. But, is there really much difference between that and just buying coins from Legend??
    is there really much difference between that and just buying coins from Legend??

Perfect question! Yes, there is (or at least should be) a huge difference. Investors in a fund would not pay a markup on each acquisition. They would likely pay an annual management fee and give up a percentage of the profits. Additionally, the fund manager would actively manage and trade the coins in the fund, likely to the substantial advantage of the investor.
    Andy Lustig

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES. But as Andy mentioned it depends on the managers of the fund. There are certain dealers and traders who constantly skin the market alive in both up and down markets. It comes down to who you can trust. Personally, I don't trust most of people running the larger corporations today (the govt is a corporation too) as they do not have your interest in mind and massaging numbers has become a national pastime. I'd invest in people I know and can trust...not in logos and fancy company names like Enron, WorldCom,
    etc.

A coin fund could certainly work though I wouldn't put Renato Ruiz as the principle.image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that many of us ought to not consider investing in a coin mutual fund, if any existed. The reason is that some of us have a decent proportion of our wealth tied up in coins. Diversification is a good thing and so increasing the fraction of our wealth tied to coins wouldn't be a wise idea.

Mark
    Mark

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Dang and oldie thread. Too bad it doesn't have a poll. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file