Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let's see who, here, is a true collector.......

Ok, folks, be honest - which would you rather hear from someone whose coin knowledge and opinion you respected?

1) Your coin is amazing looking but it wont upgrade.

2) Your coin is butt ugly but I think it will upgrade.

Is my "test" a fair indicator? Why? Why not?

Comments

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I love "amazing" coins - grading is secondary, and subjective which as time passes can and will be changed. An amazing coin will always be amazing.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    2) Your coin is butt ugly but I think it will upgrade

If they say #1 they don't know what they are talking about and aren't any kind of collector and are blowing smoke up my ass because if my coin was so amazing then it would upgrade wouldn't it?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I really don't care about upgrading, so I'd rather have a nice looking coin.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...because if my coin was so amazing then it would upgrade wouldn't it? >>

Absolutely NOT necessarily the case, Dog. A coin can be accurately graded or even over-graded and still be "amazing looking".image But, I appreciate the good (out loud) chuckle you brought my way - thank you.image
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have an amazing coin that is solid within the grade. Unless I'm trying to do a quick flip when I'd want to find a coin that will just make it.
  • I would bring a coin to Saint Feldolini for him to bless it.

As a "True Collector" I would not shudder, should he consign my coin to the pits of Hell.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, folks, be honest - which would you rather hear from someone whose coin knowledge and opinion you respected?

Is my "test" a fair indicator? Why? Why not? >>

Well, ifthat 'butt ugly' coin is a PO01 you think will upgrade to FA02, I'll go with option number 1, thank you.

peacockcoins

• Since I'm not selling, I'll take the "amazing" one. Thanks.
  • 3. "Your coin is amazing".....I don't care about the upgrade opinion
  • I'm with Johnny. The two choices aren't enough.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever asked anyone if one of my coins would upgrade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>Ok, folks, be honest - which would you rather hear from someone whose coin knowledge and opinion you respected?

LOL, not a fair indicator in the least. The question is flawed because the answer depends, in part, on whether I think the coin looks amazing or is butt ugly.
  • Eye appeal is more important then grade to me. Joe
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭

<< <i>Let's see who, here, is a true collector >>

when a dealer ask that its like getting kick in the coinadds

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Well I must have missed the point coinguy1 because everybody is saying what kind of coin they want to own & I thought you asked what we'd rather hear from another experienced numismatic.
    So I'll change my answer & say I want the amazing coin.

Anyway I've seen what constitutes "amazing stuff" posted on this board. I guess it amazes collectors that a coin can have a completly fingerprint covered obv so they ohhh & ahhh & drool over it. Or a coin that has been dipped and has so much dip residue that it amazes me that it hasn't corroded to dust & crumbled away yet.

If you told me my coin was amazing but wouldn't upgrade, well you're telling me what I already know, don't patronize me.
    Now if somebody like your buddy stman told me my coin was butt ugly but would upgrade I really appreciate his opinion because he is being honest. Most people here won't tell somebody that their butt ugly coins are butt ugly.
    I want to hear the truth.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Well, I would go with #1. My way of thinking is it has to possess eye appeal.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I'd make sure whoever I was asking REALLY appreciated Canadian specimen cents. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • I really don't care (no offense) because other than the real key coins I see slabbing as ruining the hobby? image
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly I don't care what it says on the holer unless I want to put the coin in inventory and sell it. If it's in my collection I know what I think is, and that's that.

I had most all of the major coins in my collection graded last spring. About 35% of time I got what I deserved. About 50% of time I got more than I deserved. And 15% of time I got hosed, which included a couple of body bags. Overall I was WAY ahead of the game, but boy do I hate body bags, especialy when they are unwarranted. I had a couple of instances were I get a BB, then sent the coin the other service and got a grade, in both cases the grade the coin deserved IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    #1. I want "amazing" coins.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Piece of cake: I want great coins. If they are fairly graded that is as it should be.
    Trime
  • #1, grade is secondary to eye appeal for me...
    -George
    42/92
  • Either one, depending on what *I* think of the coin. If I think that the #2 coin has unusual toning and I really like it, and I'm told "Your coin is butt ugly but I think it will upgrade" - bonus for me! If the #1 coin was colorfully toned, but I didn't care for it - it wouldn't matter if someone else thought it was amazing.

I collect what looks good to me, if I don't like the looks of a coin the grade doesn't change my opinion.
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • I collect coins that appeal to me. I don't know if that makes me a true coin collector or not.
    I really don't care what anybody else thinks about my coins. I don't collect them to please anyone but myself.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~

• << <i>Ok, folks, be honest - which would you rather hear from someone whose coin knowledge and opinion you respected?

Whoops pushed the reply button too quick.

Mark, #1 would of course be my preference because I try NOT to own "butt ugly" coins - but I don't think your test is a fair indicator as to a true collector because its focus is too narrow - deals with Grade only and to me the even more importan aspects of coin collecting are rarity, history and eye-appeal, the last of which is what you've focused upon.

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    #1 Amazing coin. Let say you have a 1802 half dime in a PCGS VF-20 coin. You see it and are amazed, but you think it just barely made it to its grade, no hope of upgrading/even chance of down grading, but still it is a problem free 1802 half dime!!!!

Tom
    Tom

• ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    As a "true" collector - no doubt AMAZING wins in my book.

However......if I saw a coin that I thought would upgrade and someone such as yourself agreed the coin was an upgrade (and I could make some money), then I'd pick #2 but I don't go looking for those coins but do occasionally find them. making $ is nice but its not why I collect coins.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • I also prefer amazing coins, altho I don't have as many as I wish. image

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, folks, be honest - which would you rather hear from someone whose coin knowledge and opinion you respected?

if you mean COIN collector, your test is not a fair indicator, not even close. #1 & #2 both assume plastic is important to a coin collector, which is not true.

if your talking plastic collectors, then i couldn't answer your question.

K S

<< <i>#1 & #2 both assume plastic is important to a coin collector, which is not true. >>

Karl, "I disagree" - if someone would prefer to hear #1, perhaps they could care less about "plastic". And, that's part of what this thread is about.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Do I want an amazing looking coin or a butt ugly one?

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

<< <i><< #1 & #2 both assume plastic is important to a coin collector, which is not true. >> Karl, "I disagree" - if someone would prefer to hear #1, perhaps they could care less about "plastic". And, that's part of what this thread is about. >>

it must be about plastic, because it is only regarding certified coins that the term "upgrade" comes into play.

how can you "upgraded" an unplasticized coin? "grade" is not inherent to a coin, it is inherent ONLY to plastic! therefore logically "upgrade" can only derive from a property of "grade", which derives only from plastic (as an inherent attribute).

K S

• Hell all my coins are at the high end of the grade..... Don't need anyone to tell me otherwise because Mark already told me so when he sold them to me!imageimage
  • #1 but what is this nonsense about upgrading?? It isn't slabbed.
    Ok, Karl, fair enough - feel free to change the choices to:

1) Your coin is amazing looking but it's worth 20% of what you paid for it.

2) Your coin is hideous looking but I'll pay you double what you've got into it.

I think I know how YOU'D replyimage :
    ah, that's more like it.

i prefer option #2!

K S
  • Still #1, the coin isn't for sale so who cares what it is "worth".
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hehehehehe good one Mark

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without reading replys I will say both answers.

Why....because it was a Truthful opinion both times.

image I think.

Ken
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    What does everybody have against butt-ugly coins? I have this here MS66 quarter that should easily upgrade to a 67 image

Every coin should have a good home!

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1, if accompanied by an explanation why. There are many dealers that will leave you hanging....."I'm not getting paid to educate this bozo and I'm busy".
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    St Feldolini, what I want to hear is three things:

1. Your coin is the best I have ever seen.

2. It should upgrade at least two points and go to a Deep Cameo.

3. I can offer you 10X what you paid for it.

We bears tend to be dreamers.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark - Depends on whether the coin is for sale. After all, even true collectors sell coins every now and then. image Since we don't know if the coin is for sale, it's not a "fair test".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • If a coin is already graded fine but if it is not then who cares. The grade is just the opinion of another person.

Do we send our wives in for grading? Kids? Dogs? e love them unconditionally (well, at least the dog!)
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭

<< <i>#1, if accompanied by an explanation why. There are many dealers that will leave you hanging....."I'm not getting paid to educate this bozo and I'm busy". >>

I am not a bozzo and you are not that busy.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I think for me the amazing coin wins every time, even if the next grade up carries a substantial financial gain with it. If a coin is butt ugly, I still have to find a reasonable buyer, and I am honest about coins to a fault...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • I've always gone with eye appeal.
    Holds true with my cars, women,etc.

• << <i>What does everybody have against butt-ugly coins? >>

I don't have anything against an ugly coin, you should see some of the dogs I have. But the question was what do you want to hear and no one WANTS to be told that their coins are ugly. (It is possible for an ugly coin to be amazing too.)
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Your coin is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file