Home U.S. Coin Forum

My local dealers shun slabbed coins. Do they in your area?

2»

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

@yosclimber said:

@knovak1976 said:
    With all the counterfeits finding their way into the market place I will only buy slabbed coins now, ...

Of course, the criminals have adapted, so now there are counterfeit slabs as well.

True, but much easier to identify the counterfeits since you can cross check the numbers. And now many slabs now are being made with a chip in them too for identification.

The cross check is only good if the TPG site provides you with a photo of the coin. If you only get a match for the date, mint mark and grade and no picture, that is not good enough.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭

As from a local shop:

“We send our coins out for grading. If we don’t agree, we crack them out and put them back in the flips”

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more local shops here. Last one the owner said " no one is going to tell me what my grade on a coin is". So no TPG for him. Local show is about half and half slabs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

As suggested above, dealers cannot buy a coin for AU and sell it for BU, so they don't make as much money on slabs.

Vplite99
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that we had a LCS in my area.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:
    Oh well, I read this thread from the top, not realizing it was a resurrected sleeper. Guess I need to pay better attention.

It is definitely inconsiderate when a poster resurrects a thread and fails to mention its age in the new post. Bad form.

Sure, but you can be 40 posts in before you see it.

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 4:39PM

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:
    Oh well, I read this thread from the top, not realizing it was a resurrected sleeper. Guess I need to pay better attention.

It is definitely inconsiderate when a poster resurrects a thread and fails to mention its age in the new post. Bad form.

Being a doctor--what do you make of these repeated time gaps?

Stylometry is an interesting sub field of linguistic. Does make me reconsider my prior thoughts on this pattern,,,,,

• There are other areas where slabs are not popular. One such is South Central Pennsylvania. There are so many coin auctions in the region and the vast majority of the material is raw.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:

Better than nothing. Of course it would also help if there was something meaningful added to an old thread by the reposter, but that’s too much to ask too evidently.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@Catbert said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:

Better than nothing. Of course it would also help if there was something meaningful added to an old thread by the reposter, but that’s too much to ask too evidently.

It is a successful necropost when the new responses exceed the original's. Think were are there now.

edited September 16, 2024 7:41PM

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:

It is a successful necropost when the new responses exceed the original's. Think were are there now.

Also might be a success in other ways--- but I guess that depends upon what the person who is actually behind the keyboard is trying to do.

Btw--do you prefer to be referred to as "Doc" or Glicker?

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JCH22 said:
    Also might be a success in other ways--- but I guess that depends upon what the person who is actually behind the keyboard is trying to do.

I don't think it's the action of a troll, just someone hopelessly and incurably clueless.

@JCH22 said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Catbert said:

@ms71 said:

Btw--do you prefer to be referred to as "Doc" or Glicker?

Either is fine. Doc Benjamin was my best friend's father. Brilliant man that served as a navigator during WWII. We all spent many hours at the poker table, horse track and bowling alley. Second father, really.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember this one Doc?
    One of my best buzzed bids..

edited September 17, 2024 8:03AM

@jayPem said:
    Remember this one Doc?

Absolutely. Depression artwork from my cousin.

Jeez...that was nearly ten years ago. Hope that you still have it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/935497/a-depression-era-painting-from-when-a-dime-was-really-money

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2024 8:10AM

@Barberian said:
    My LCSs shun customers.

Once mine know somebody broke so do they. I always try buy a little something, from them gotta feed the….

Coins & Currency
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2024 8:49AM

My local coin shop is going to a "by appointment only" schedule. It probably makes sense for him for most of his coin dealings, but it kills his walk-in sales. For example, I doubt I'm going to schedule an appointment just to see what junk silver dollars and bullion he has available when I drop off aluminum cans for recycling. Buying junk silver and silver dollars and then hitting Taco Bell is (used to be) a tradition when I turn in my cans. Beyond that, I have no business with him as he kept his good coins behind the counter, and they weren't the bizarre things I collect.

Which now includes my growing collection of PCGS-MIS-ID'ed Redbook coins

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    No

A wholesaler friend has a shop where tons of slabs walk in which he whsl at shows he flips at bid plus like 5pct. Lots good buys from him but when he’s there it puts a crimp in other dealers sales bc many coming into show flock to him. To heck w sales right, But enjoy the free coffee and pizza.

Profound!

The bearing on the "wheel" is red hot today...

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@jayPem said:
    Remember this one Doc?

Absolutely. Depression artwork from my cousin.

Jeez...that was nearly ten years ago. Hope that you still have it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/935497/a-depression-era-painting-from-when-a-dime-was-really-money

Yes sir!
    Couldn't part with her now... its like she's part of the family!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file